Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

I see Lewis isnt having the best time right now

Taking Lewis out of my dream team later, don’t think Steve Bruce is going to maximise his strengths at Newcastle with his tactics, he doesn’t get as forward as much as he did with us - bit similar to how Mourinho appears to have taken away Matt Doherty’s attacking instinct and made him more of a ‘defender’ which kind of negates the value in signing him IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Taking Lewis out of my dream team later, don’t think Steve Bruce is going to maximise his strengths at Newcastle with his tactics, he doesn’t get as forward as much as he did with us - bit similar to how Mourinho appears to have taken away Matt Doherty’s attacking instinct and made him more of a ‘defender’ which kind of negates the value in signing him IMO. 

You say that but now you've taken him out hes gonna score a hatrick next week always the case

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You say that but now you've taken him out hes gonna score a hatrick next week always the case

Ha ha CC, let me put a pound on that and then buy Necker Island with a quarter of the winnings

18 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Last week he created more chances and put more balls into the box than any other Newcastle player. I don’t think they’d have signed him if they wanted defensive solidity.

Edited by Aggy

5 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Last week he created more chances and put more balls into the box than any other Newcastle player. I don’t think they’d have signed him if they wanted defensive solidity.

Agree with that, Aggy, he looked great last week, but just a suspicion he may not be utilised to his strengths in future that’s all, I guess we shall see! I would imagine SB’s remit next week will focus on defensive solidarity first and foremost after that showing. 

13 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Issue is he's been playing as much more of a high attacking wingback, pairing himself up with Saint headband whatshisname and he plays well

Soon as hes forced to drop back into being a static leftback however he starts to look shaky

10 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Agree with that, Aggy, he looked great last week, but just a suspicion he may not be utilised to his strengths in future that’s all, I guess we shall see! I would imagine SB’s remit next week will focus on defensive solidarity first and foremost after that showing. 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Issue is he's been playing as much more of a high attacking wingback, pairing himself up with Saint headband whatshisname and he plays well

Soon as hes forced to drop back into being a static leftback however he starts to look shaky

Yeah agreed. I did think he might not get used so well when he joined but last week made me think maybe they will use him more expansively. Also agreed Cambs - I did think last week to be fair there were a couple of times when he was caught ahead of the play, which is fine if they’re setting up to give him licence to do that, but might be a problem if they need him to be part of the defensive unit. That said, I do still think he’s better defensively than Aarons, so might be alright.

Like the Murphy twins I suspect the highlight of his career will be the time he spent with us..

unlike Max who I think will go onto great things 

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Like the Murphy twins I suspect the highlight of his career will be the time he spent with us..

Yeah I could not agree more , the cool thing was how much we managed to get for the Murphy bruvs and Lewis. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

I think that is a bit harsh. He is a good player and a good athlete, he is decent at coming forward but not the best defender, some days and fixtures  the game will go to his strengths and others like today will go the other way. I see him having a decent PL career but not hitting any dizzy heights but being a regular at a mid table Pl club  a lot would settle for that and he has helped our club on the pitch and financially due to the move so i wish him well

4 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

I think he’ll do better than the Murphys. I was and still am fairly surprised about how much we got for them. And while both had fairly good seasons before leaving, neither looked anywhere near as impressive as Lewis did when we won the league. Think the two of them will be starters at top half championship clubs/back up options for bottom half prem sides most of their careers, but expect Lewis to be prem starter for most of his.

There are another £5 million or so of add ons in the deal that took him to Newcastle. We don't know what they are of course, but there's a very good chance that a lot of it is related to the number of appearances Jamal makes and Newcastle doing well on the pitch. This is an extra reason to hope that his nasty looking injury from yesterday isn't serious. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

There are another £5 million or so of add ons in the deal that took him to Newcastle. We don't know what they are of course, but there's a very good chance that a lot of it is related to the number of appearances Jamal makes and Newcastle doing well on the pitch. This is an extra reason to hope that his nasty looking injury from yesterday isn't serious. 

That is Exactly why i think when given the chance to Move for More Money ETC  young players should move 

i hope it is not serious but imagine if it was very Bad after 2 games he will get more money for himself if he never played again 

Than if he stayed here

Awful way to look at things but a career can be gone in a flash 

Hope he recovers well