A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

48 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not a single word of argument in support of your claims then! So let's take a look at your list:

Examples include anti-vaccination conspiracies, divisive identity politics and critical theory, that the Tories are evil fascist sc*m, that people with xy chromosomes and external genitalia really can be women, increasingly disruptive “protests”, the attempts to foment a national strike in the face of a global financial crisis caused by Putin’s invasion and the global pandemic, Twitter storms and social media pile-ons that whip up outrage against individuals who dare to question the approved groupthink, mobs of agitators who invariably turn up to howl abuse at Conservative MPs whenever they make a public appearance, the attempts to overthrow the result of the 2016 referendum, politically motivated barristers using crowdfunding and bringing their profession into disrepute by constantly trying to stifle the workings of government, attempts to block the removal of economic migrants trafficked here illegally, the constant reporting to the police of alleged “hate speech” and non-crime hate incidents (whatever that means), etc etc.

• anti-vaccination conspiracies. Mostly far right-wing individuals.
  • divisive identity politics. No explanation of who you include in that and what is supposed to be wrong with people who regard an important part of their life as being determined by aspects of their identity. Isn't it people like you who constantly harp on about patriotism and identifying with British values? Please explain the difference.
  • critical theory. Feel free to explain what you think "critical theory" is and what you claim is wrong about it. I suspect you mean "critical race theory" and your conflation of the two displays that you probably know nothing about either.
  • Tories are evil fascist sc*m. Not all of them
  • people with xy chromosomes and external genitalia really can be women. So you are publicly admitting you don't understand the very clear and obvious distinction between the biological concept of "sex", and the socially constructed concept of "gender". 
  • increasingly disruptive “protests”, the attempts to foment a national strike in the face of a global financial crisis caused by Putin’s invasion and the global pandemic. So you deny that the right to protest is absolutely fundamental to ANY democratic political system. The whole point of a protest is to be disruptive, and every major socially progressive development in our culture's history has depended on people prepared to risk the unwanted need to protest for change. It is the job of government and those in positions of power (employers etc) to dissipate the desire or need for industrial action. Alas 12 years of Tory misrule has lead to us being massively lacking in the resources needed to negotiate the current crisis. This is not the fault of workers desperate to find a way to survive the coming storm.
  • the attempts to overthrow the result of the 2016 referendum, The referendum was an advisory referendum NOT binding. It was perfectly right for people to call for a second referendum, particular now that we know with certainty that the entire leave campaign was deliberately infused with outright lies and misinformation.
  • politically motivated barristers using crowdfunding and bringing their profession into disrepute by constantly trying to stifle the workings of government, attempts to block the removal of economic migrants trafficked here illegally. So you actually object to barristers (their political views are irrelevant) doing their job and applying the laws of the land? Wow! If the government loses such cases it shows the government is acting against the law. Sadly, it seems that for people like you the laws of the land should be used as an arm of government rather than  a check on the misuse of its powers. That was the whole point of the Magna Carta, something I would have thought your type would revere (and to think you previously objected to the use of "fascism" by other posters).
  • the constant reporting to the police of alleged “hate speech” and non-crime hate incidents So when my black partner (a frontline NHS health worker btw) was called a "filthy N...." and was physically threatened, she shouldn't have reported that to the Police. I'll let her know your advice. 

Good grief, where do you find the time to write an essay like that?  Don’t you have better things to do on a Sunday?  Suffice it to say, you and I are unlikely to come to much of a consensus so there’s little point in trying to continue this futile argument.  You’re never likely to vote Conservative and I am more likely to vote Conservative than Labour, but have voted for both in the past.

As for your final point, this sounds clear cut and of course she was right to report it, but it’s not necessarily a representative example of the range of things that are often reported, many of which are far more subjective and contentious.

4 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Good grief, where do you find the time to write an essay like that?  Don’t you have better things to do on a Sunday?  Suffice it to say, you and I are unlikely to come to much of a consensus so there’s little point in trying to continue this futile argument.  You’re never likely to vote Conservative and I am more likely to vote Conservative than Labour, but have voted for both in the past.

As for your final point, this sounds clear cut and of course she was right to report it, but it’s not necessarily a representative example of the range of things that are often reported, many of which are far more subjective and contentious.

I'm always amused by people like you saying "where do you find the time ...", "haven't you got better things to do" etc, etc. Especially coming from someone who has made so many posts himself. Do you honestly think those feeble rebukes cover up a pathetic inability to defend your own claims? But just to calm your fears, I can assure you it took only a few minutes to expose the unfounded bigotry contained your list of prejudices.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I'm always amused by people like you saying "where do you find the time ...", "haven't you got better things to do" etc, etc. Especially coming from someone who has made so many posts himself. Do you honestly think those feeble rebukes cover up a pathetic inability to defend your own claims? But just to calm your fears, I can assure you it took only a few minutes to expose the unfounded bigotry contained your list of prejudices.

Ah, the “B” word so beloved and used seemingly without the slightest hint of self-awareness by the intolerant far-left.  By the way, I have only 800 posts to my name whereas you have 8,000.  

Edited by Naturalcynic

13 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Ah, the “B” word so beloved and used seemingly without the slightest hint of self-awareness by the intolerant far-left.  By the way, I have only 800 posts to my name whereas you have 8,000.  

If you wish to claim that your list does not contain unsupported prejudices all you have to do is take each of my responses in turn and explain why they do not show your claims are examples of right-wing misinformation and bigotry. Just for your records this response took 6.3 seconds.

It says everything about the current state of the Tories that the PM and Chancellor are on holiday while an ex-Labour PM, Gordon Brown, has been busy trying to come up with in-depth analysis and constructive ideas to mitigate against the horrors about to devastate the lives of so many of the country's least well off.

Edited by horsefly
  • Thanks 3

Rishi Sunak

The Inbetweeners voted people’s favourite Noughties sitcom

Will MacKenzie

Rishi Sunak has taken a stand against public opinion on opening up the ...

If you shut your eyes and listen to Sunak, it sounds just like Will from Inbetweeners. And has about as much chance as Will of being PM.

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

It says everything about the current state of the Tories that the PM and Chancellor are on holiday while an ex-Labour PM, Gordon Brown, has been busy trying to come up with in-depth analysis and constructive ideas to mitigate against the horrors about to devastate the lives of so many of the country's least well off.

Seems to me that the entire Tory party is on holiday apart, of course, from the two delusional idiots who against all the available evidence appear to believe that they have the ability to lead this country.

I suppose the fact that the last 3 PMs have all been appalling, and each one worse than their predecessor makes the situation much less surprising than than it would have been a decade ago.

What is a bit scarey though is that if, as looks likely, Truss wins then she have every chance of continuing that trend and being even worse than Johnson, so a pretty grim 2+ years ahead.

Hopefully the compensation will then be the Tories out of power for a generation, or indeed permanently if the opposition get their act together and scrap the FPTP system after they win the 2024 GE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Seems to me that the entire Tory party is on holiday apart, of course, from the two delusional idiots who against all the available evidence appear to believe that they have the ability to lead this country.

I suppose the fact that the last 3 PMs have all been appalling, and each one worse than their predecessor makes the situation much less surprising than than it would have been a decade ago.

What is a bit scarey though is that if, as looks likely, Truss wins then she have every chance of continuing that trend and being even worse than Johnson, so a pretty grim 2+ years ahead.

Hopefully the compensation will then be the Tories out of power for a generation, or indeed permanently if the opposition get their act together and scrap the FPTP system after they win the 2024 GE.

But of course, she won't lie or mislead the public. Its an honour to serve and she will be representing all the people of the UK.

Eeeaaaaaww

7 hours ago, horsefly said:

And you are not on holiday, teechur?

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

And yet another teechur who's been on holiday for the past two years and didn't want to go back to the classroom 

9 hours ago, horsefly said:

If you wish to claim that your list does not contain unsupported prejudices all you have to do is take each of my responses in turn and explain why they do not show your claims are examples of right-wing misinformation and bigotry. Just for your records this response took 6.3 seconds.

We can both search on Google to find articles and evidence to support our viewpoints on all of these subjects. It proves nothing.  I have my opinions and you have yours, and I accept that you’re entitled to voice yours as I am mine.  However, you seem really very certain that you are in the right and that the arguments are all black and white rather than shades of grey.  You seem unwilling to accept that others might quite reasonably hold different views to you, yet ironically you label me as being the bigot.  It’s unwarranted, unpleasant and unnecessary.

Edited by Naturalcynic

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

And you are not on holiday, teechur?

Nope! Not a "teechur". Neither am I PM or Chancellor of the Exchequer, on holiday at a time of a national financial crisis.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

We can both search on Google to find articles and evidence to support our viewpoints on all of these subjects. It proves nothing.  I have my opinions and you have yours, and I accept that you’re entitled to voice yours as I am mine.  However, you seem really very certain that you are in the right and that the arguments are all black and white rather than shades of grey.  You seem unwilling to accept that others might quite reasonably hold different views to you, yet ironically you label me as being the bigot.  It’s unwarranted, unpleasant and unnecessary.

So, yet again not a single word in defence of your list. You have traduced and maligned various groups of people in your rant without a word of argument in defence of any of your claims; that is the very definition of prejudice and bigotry and is indeed "unwarranted, unpleasant, and unnecessary".

Political cartoons all the rage right now...the ever reliable Banx

IMG_20220811_072916.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Rees Mogg says Harriet Harman shouldn't chair the committee into Johnson as she has already said he lied. Not difficult when the Police fined him.

• Like 2

I'm not one for thinking personal abuse is permitted face to face, I wish they hadn't used the words fat and ***. Just Get back to Work, its still your job until 5 September.

I don't think I've known of a time when so many institutions, former ministers, peers, media, unions, business leaders etc have been asking for action from any government. I realise that lobbying happens but the last few months have been relentless - this time especially about the breakdown of the NHS (hearing the government is frantically trying to bring in thousands of foreign workers to take up social care positions) and on the energy bill crisis (today a rather fantastic story about a looming humanitarian crisis in winter).

And whilst all these pleas arrive as daily stories there just appears to be a complete vacuum! It is like there is no leadership whatsoever. Quite an incredible state of affairs. I really don't think that Truss has any viable solutions from what I've heard from her and I'm not sure anyone has. A set of disasters coming surely? ...and then an election. What a waste of time really. Big and complex problems (some self-inflicted) just at a time when we need a serious set of people governing.

• Like 3

I liked Sunak saying his fave thing out of McDonalds is the breakfast wrap when he'd take his kids to McDonald. Which was pointed out as being something they have not sold in 2 years and his campaing team respond saying of course he would not be aware of that as he's not seen his kids much in 2 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

I liked Sunak saying his fave thing out of McDonalds is the breakfast wrap when he'd take his kids to McDonald. Which was pointed out as being something they have not sold in 2 years and his campaing team respond saying of course he would not be aware of that as he's not seen his kids much in 2 years.

But he did recently build them a £400K swimming pool which was ready the same day he understood that people were finding things difficult.

Now Lilo LIz has said that people need to work a bit harder. They already are Liz because of staff shortages.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Guardian reporting one of the ideas the goverment has for the new PM for the high energy bills is that they will make GP's able to prescribe money off your energy bill. The most stupid thing I've ever heard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That NHS story shows such a strange disconnect going on. I mean doesn't the government realise the NHS and GP's especially are under intense pressure to deal with medical demand alone?

It got me thinking (a bit laterally!). On a few occasions I've lamented to Mrs S that I wished John Lennon had still been alive because he would have been someone who would have retained his standing with a wider public....and... my imagination goes as far as believing, he would have had things to say about the state of our government and society. Things that people would have listened to. A kind of moral guidepost? Perhaps?

I've wondered whether he would have sold out? I somehow doubt it.

Came across this interesting little clip from Bowie and it reminded me (I suppose this is a post that links politics with the music thread but didn't belong there). 

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Guardian reporting one of the ideas the goverment has for the new PM for the high energy bills is that they will make GP's able to prescribe money off your energy bill. The most stupid thing I've ever heard.

Quite agree.

I would guess in a normal world this would usually be enough to indicate a severe mental health issue - and as a danger to others perhaps the GPs should consider an emergency section! In laymans terms she sounds barking mad.

On 19/08/2022 at 13:06, sonyc said:

I don't think I've known of a time when so many institutions, former ministers, peers, media, unions, business leaders etc have been asking for action from any government. I realise that lobbying happens but the last few months have been relentless - this time especially about the breakdown of the NHS (hearing the government is frantically trying to bring in thousands of foreign workers to take up social care positions) and on the energy bill crisis (today a rather fantastic story about a looming humanitarian crisis in winter).

And whilst all these pleas arrive as daily stories there just appears to be a complete vacuum! It is like there is no leadership whatsoever. Quite an incredible state of affairs. I really don't think that Truss has any viable solutions from what I've heard from her and I'm not sure anyone has. A set of disasters coming surely? ...and then an election. What a waste of time really. Big and complex problems (some self-inflicted) just at a time when we need a serious set of people governing.

Ironically, that was pretty much the argument made by those who argued against Johnson being pushed to resign.