A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yeah! Don't think you would like that. Might just precipitate a heart attack.

You might be right, but if the sad old zealots who peddle it on the streets are anything to go by then I doubt it’s of much literary merit or offers much in the way of incisive political insight.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't bealive we are such a racist, horrible, nasty terrible country to live in yet almost a thousand a day are happy to risk their lives to come live here. Strange that đŸ˜‰

Just imagine how many there’d be if we weren’t such a racist, nasty terrible country.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't bealive we are such a racist, horrible, nasty terrible country to live in yet almost a thousand a day are happy to risk their lives to come live here. Strange that đŸ˜‰

Amazing isn't it! Just a guess, but perhaps it might have something to do with escaping from countries ripped apart by wars and repressive regimes in which torture, murder, and starvation are the only prospect.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

You might be right, but if the sad old zealots who peddle it on the streets are anything to go by then I doubt it’s of much literary merit or offers much in the way of incisive political insight.

At last! Something we can both agree upon. Have a lovely day!

Edited by horsefly

9 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Amazing isn't it! Just a guess, but perhaps it might have something to do with escaping from countries ripped apart by wars and repressive regimes in which torture, murder, and starvation are the only prospect.

Yeah, France is pretty awful. You seen the food too? Yikes. Nevermind that worse of all you have to live around French people! đŸ˜³ I for one say let them all come, nobody deserves that

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, France is pretty awful. You seen the food too? Yikes.

. I've seen the food and even eaten it. Think you will find they have taken a whole load more immigrants than the UK. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

. I've seen the food and even eaten it. Think you will find they have taken a whole load more immigrants than the UK. 

Indeed they have :

Main European destinations for asylum. Number of asylum applicants in 2021. Germany had the most asylum applicants in Europe in 2020 - more than 100,000. The UK was fifth after France, Spain and Greece with around 40,000. .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MooreMarriot said:

Indeed they have :

Main European destinations for asylum. Number of asylum applicants in 2021. Germany had the most asylum applicants in Europe in 2020 - more than 100,000. The UK was fifth after France, Spain and Greece with around 40,000. .

Although the UK’s population density is double that of France.  This link gives interesting figures on net migration, population density etc and shows that the UK is second only to Germany in the number of migrants:

https://www.worldometers.info/population/countries-in-europe-by-population/

It’s also worth noting that the population density of England, which is the country into which the majority of migrants enter, whether officially or otherwise, is nearly double that of the UK as a whole:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281322/population-density-in-the-uk-by-region/

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Although the UK’s population density is double that of France.  This link gives interesting figures on net migration, population density etc and shows that the UK is second only to Germany in the number of migrants:

https://www.worldometers.info/population/countries-in-europe-by-population/

It’s also worth noting that the population density of England, which is the country into which the majority of migrants enter, whether officially or otherwise, is nearly double that of the UK as a whole:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281322/population-density-in-the-uk-by-region/

There is a lot of cherry picking here as well.

France (and Germany) also have large weakly inhabited areas. The best guide is probably simply just the % of immigrants as compared to the overall population - given that they will largely disperse to the same geographical locations!

Edited by Yellow Fever

9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

France (and Germany) also have large weakly inhabited areas. The best guide is probably simply just the % of immigrants as compared to the overall population - given that they will largely disperse to the same geographical locations!

Yep, you don't get many in the old East Germany at all (which is also where some of the most sparsely populated regions are, especially in northern Brandenburg, southern Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, and indeed south/east of Berlin). They generally tend to go to Berlin, the Ruhrgebiet, or the major western German cities.

It was always amusing that Pegida in Germany started in Dresden, a major city which has generally had a relatively homogenised population compared to others, especially the likes of Frankfurt am Main.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes this is correct. Since time immemorial (ok let's just say since the days of the industrial revolution) migrants (UK or otherwise) have left rural areas to go to towns and cities. Obviously for work. The density argument is weakened considerably when you factor this in. The north by the way has taken on more migrants than the south. Bradford has a tradition of accepting migrants for the last thousand years. There are not only large Pakistani, Caribbean and Bangladesh people but significant Italian, Polish and Ukrainian numbers.

And recently lots of Syrian, Iraqi people. Mrs S used to volunteer to help them integrate, learn about the culture and the language. Many of these were extremely well educated by the way.

The UK on the whole is an accepting and tolerant society with a degree of racism - a racism that exists in many other countries too. A fear of difference. That brings the matter back to Brexit which has been a conduit for such feelings lurking underneath - of course not everyone who voted for Brexit was a racist but I'm fairly sure most racists, if not all, would have voted Brexit.

A lot of people don't like foreigners. Even though go back just a hundred years or so and our collective ancestry is very mixed isn't it?

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

It was always amusing that Pegida in Germany started in Dresden, a major city which has generally had a relatively homogenised population compared to others, especially the likes of Frankfurt am Main.

The last point is also a well known factor here. Often (with a few very well known exceptions) and as a guide the most 'Brexity' areas vs immigrants tended to be the very same areas with the fewest of them - I seem to recall locally at the time Yarmouth was particularly anti-immigrant but actually had smaller percentage than say Norwich which was less so 'anti'.

As Sony says - Its fear of the unknown and the like I suspect.

As an aside - I recall once travelling to Norwich on the train from London with a Saudi man and his niece (nice 18-25 young lady - very chatty) dressed in full hijab. She was no different to any other modern young woman. I must admit to being a bit concerned as to how their appearance would be taken in a provincial city like Norwich!

Hmm. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The last point is also a well known factor here. Often (with a few very well known exceptions) and as a guide the most 'Brexity' areas vs immigrants tended to be the very same areas with the fewest of them - I seem to recall locally at the time Yarmouth was particularly anti-immigrant but actually had smaller percentage than say Norwich which was less so 'anti'.

As Sony says - Its fear of the unknown and the like I suspect.

As an aside - I recall once travelling to Norwich on the train from London with a Saudi man and his niece (nice 18-25 young lady - very chatty) dressed in full hijab. She was no different to any other modern young woman. I must admit to being a bit concerned as to how their appearance would be taken in a provincial city like Norwich!

Hmm. 

Boston, of course, is known for having the highest proportion of immigrants from Eastern Europe and was very strongly Brexit.

25 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Which was one of the well-known exceptions YF mentioned.

Thanks TGS - I'd almost put Boston in my original post but I didn't want to make it too wordy. It's the the general trend we are noting - not the odd exception (which have special circumstances).

Edited by Yellow Fever

Boston, of course, is known for having the highest proportion of immigrants from Eastern Europe and was very strongly Brexit.

It would be interesting to know how towns like Boston have fared post-brexit.

Just saw this commenting on the BOE 1/2 point rise...

"The Bank’s gloomy forecasts, published alongside the rate decision, underline the scale of the challenge facing the next prime minister, with the economy projected to plunge into a prolonged recession by the end of the year.

I guess that runs right up to the next GE.

Shortest PM yet ?

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Just saw this commenting on the BOE 1/2 point rise...

"The Bank’s gloomy forecasts, published alongside the rate decision, underline the scale of the challenge facing the next prime minister, with the economy projected to plunge into a prolonged recession by the end of the year.

I guess that runs right up to the next GE.

Shortest PM yet ?

As the Bank of England announce just how dire is the financial situation of the country, we find that the PM and Chancellor are both on holiday. Nothing has changed with this  corrupt bunch of slackers.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/pm-and-chancellor-on-holiday-as-bank-of-england-warns-uk-to-be-hit-by-recession/ar-AA10iR7y?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=1fcdaa44bfef4556a5eb293fb8e8f178

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, horsefly said:

As the Bank of England announce just how dire is the financial situation of the country, we find that the PM and Chancellor are both on holiday. Nothing has changed with this  corrupt bunch of slackers.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/pm-and-chancellor-on-holiday-as-bank-of-england-warns-uk-to-be-hit-by-recession/ar-AA10iR7y?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=1fcdaa44bfef4556a5eb293fb8e8f178

If any ordinary person thinks those pair of clowns have their best interests at the forefront of their policy making then they are very sadly deluded.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, France is pretty awful. You seen the food too? Yikes. Nevermind that worse of all you have to live around French people! đŸ˜³ I for one say let them all come, nobody deserves that

When was the last time you went to France?. This sort of comment is all too common on Britain showing how small minded and uneducated we are as a Nation.

49 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Better to go on holiday when parliament is in recession rather than when it isn’t.  But rest assured, they will be in constant contact with the wheels of government and will be lucky to get a sip of pina colada in between dealing with phone calls and emails.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Better to go on holiday when parliament is in recession rather than when it isn’t.  But rest assured, they will be in constant contact with the wheels of government and will be lucky to get a sip of pina colada in between dealing with phone calls and emails.

Unfortunately its the country going into recession not parliament.

Economically the country is a mess. High inflation, low productivity, high national and private debt. Unemployment is pretty much the only positive for the moment. 

The rest of Europe is struggling too, but the UKs fiscal and monetary levers are virtually non existent. 

In the interim we have a dead duck government and two candidates making equally ridiculous promises in a drawn out campaign which has shown no signs of resulting in a competent administration. 

• Like 2

So anyone that thought Truss would not be copying the Johnson rules of dishonesty it seems you were mistaken. Remember as well this is somebody that supported Johnson to the end and is backed by the same people who covered and lied for Johnson. I guess going by this if she wins we will have more turbulent months where she has to defend her actions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62424931

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

One of my sons has bought a house very near Boston. House prices are phenomenally cheap and the area is so handy for travelling to other areas. He thinks Boston itself looks a bit depressing though.

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2022 at 14:22, horsefly said:

How depressing was it to see Brandon Lewis wheeled out for the morning news yet again to defend the lies of the (next) Tory Party leader. Absolutely nothing has changed or will change when the playschool Maggie Thatcher takes over the reins.

I also find it depressing that the country has had no strong opposition for over a decade. Only, the Tory party can't be blamed for that.

Even under Kier Starmer it has been left to Piers Morgan, Deborah Meaden, Marcus Rashford, Martin Lewis et al who ask the difficult questions and shine a light on the worst excesses of the Tory Party.

12 years your party has had to get its sh*t in order and present something half electable, still not entirely convinced that you've cobbled it together.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

It would have struggled to have become more sh*t.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Unfortunately its the country going into recession not parliament.

Economically the country is a mess. High inflation, low productivity, high national and private debt. Unemployment is pretty much the only positive for the moment. 

The rest of Europe is struggling too, but the UKs fiscal and monetary levers are virtually non existent. 

In the interim we have a dead duck government and two candidates making equally ridiculous promises in a drawn out campaign which has shown no signs of resulting in a competent administration. 

I was talking about the state of the country yesterday with a Green Party politician and a Lib Dem activist over a few beers. 

Brexit was mentioned of course, but we all agreed unanimously that we've sleep walked into this energy crisis and that both the 13 years of Labour government and 12 years of Tory government can be blamed for failing to ensure national energy security. 

Of course, we didn't unanimously agree that nuclear is the answer... the Green was less keen on that as a solution.

No doubt, just like Raab when Kabul fell. Although like him, I suspect they will refuse to take the telephone calls.

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I was talking about the state of the country yesterday with a Green Party politician and a Lib Dem activist over a few beers. 

Brexit was mentioned of course, but we all agreed unanimously that we've sleep walked into this energy crisis and that both the 13 years of Labour government and 12 years of Tory government can be blamed for failing to ensure national energy security. 

Of course, we didn't unanimously agree that nuclear is the answer... the Green was less keen on that as a solution.

In my opinion, it goes back further than 25 years 

The 1970's oil crisis should have been a wake up call