Jump to content
A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

You can help feeling that Dom might have something in store ....but as things currently stand it is two Non Dom's that are inflicting some serious damage on him 🙂

I think Dom has done his damage. It's time for the Praetorian guard that is a Tory cabinet to do what it does best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow another thing that has just been said on ITV is astounding.

A snap Mori Poll found that a majority of people that voted Tory in 2019 have now lost all trust in Johnson. That really is an astonishing result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Ok. So today's scandals and Johnson catastrophes are done. 

Time for new scandal tomorrow. Any guess as to what?

He'll probably turn up in Kyiv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here’s another interesting snippet. Where I now reside in the Midlands, became big movers in 2019 to the Tories. However lots of the junior ministers resigning come from, yes you’ve guessed it, The Midlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So here’s another interesting snippet. Where I now reside in the Midlands, became big movers in 2019 to the Tories. However lots of the junior ministers resigning come from, yes you’ve guessed it, The Midlands.

Self preservation at work.

Solicitor General just resigned. It's crumbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sadly, Kier Starmer won’t be doing that. Or even taking tentative steps back towards the single market.

Or is he just making noises to try and completely win back the red wall again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty clear he is a gonner now, the question is, what happens next and how much does Tory support rebound under a different leader 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I was thinking the navy could drop him off at St. Helena.

Given his previous experiences with wallpaper...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rees Mogg says sarcastically that Johnson can beat Walpoles 20 years as PM. Can they not see that pompous fools like him are not capable of understanding what is needed to govern a country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This has been coming for such a long time.  There are so many reasons why Johnson is not now and never has been fit to lead this country.  But the final straw was not Brexit or covid - or even the imploding economy, as Stagflation (stagnant or negative growth coupled with runaway inflation, the economic equivalent of the Black Death) makes its reappearance for the first time in half a century.  It was Chris Pincher.  Says it all really. 

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

This has been coming for such a long time,  There are so many reasons why Johnson is not now and never has been fit to lead this country.  But the final straw was not Brexit or covid - or even the imploding economy, as Stagflation (stagnant growth coupled with runaway inflation, the economic equivalent of the Black Death) makes its reappearance for the first time in half a century.  It was Chris Pincher.  Says it all really. 

It's a rummun that's for sure😉....but who could have predicted that it was his 1785th lie that is the one that has probably done for him

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh what joy! PMQs followed by the parliamentary Liaison Committee. Get the popcorn ready.

Edited by horsefly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john·son
[ˈdʒɒns(ə)n]
 
NOUN
US
vulgar slang
  1. a man's penis.
     
     
    Johnson by name, Johnson by nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh what joy! PMQs followed by the Parliamentary Liaison Committee. Get the popcorn ready.

Starmer's questions should be simple and along the lines of "how's your week going?" and nothing more detailed than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Daily Mail has spoken.  This morning's headline: "Can even Boris the Greased Piglet wriggle out of this?" 

 

Edited by benchwarmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Herman said:

Starmer's questions should be simple and along the lines of "how's your week going?" and nothing more detailed than that. 

Indeed! My money is on someone rehashing that famous Oscar Wilde quote to say, "To lose one cabinet minister is unfortunate, to lose two in one day looks like carelessness".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

The Daily Mail has spoken.  This morning's headline: "Can even Boris the Greased Piglet wriggle out of this?" 

 

I read somewhere that Rothermere has told his editors to turn on Johnson. Sounds like it might have some merit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Or is he just making noises to try and completely win back the red wall again?

I get that, but did he need to rule out so many options though? There is a blindly obvious case to rejoin the single market. Most prominent Brexit supporters said we wouldn’t leave and being out is what is doing the majority of the damage to our economy. It’s not like it was even planned for properly.
 

There was a story yesterday about a £25 million customs inspection facility in Portsmouth, paid for by the government and Portsmouth council, which was built to inspect EU food on import. The government has delayed the implementation of those inspections indefinitely so it’s lying empty. There are several other around the country likewise doing nothing. They are making it up as they go along because it’s always been a vague ideological crusade with no actual thought or logic behind it.

 

I specifically joined the Labour Party to vote for Starmer to avoid another Corbyn-like car crash with someone like Long Bailey. Stopping the Tories must be the priority. I get that they have to appeal to the majority of the electorate to win, and I fervently believe 50% of something is many, many times better than 100% of nothing. But this feels, dare I say it, a bit cowardly. I suppose it’s similar to Brown’s pledge to stick to Tory spending plans before Blair’s victory. But even that was time limited.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Oh what joy! PMQs followed by the parliamentary Liaison Committee. Get the popcorn ready.

When this man gets cornered his usual MO is to come out fighting - like a teenager who feels he has been wronged. I'm expecting Johnson to show those angry eyes that we've seen very occasionally before when he is cornered. I'm expecting a lot of pointing (even making our former midfielder Peter Grant look pale in comparison). Might we see a full-on tantrum?

I don't see contrition or any acknowledgement of his position. Perhaps he may paint it as the reverse?I  suspect too there are countless people in his past who have experienced the wrath of this person. 

As I write two more junior ministers have resigned (Truss and Quince). Good idea for him not to do his usual morning run. The fact is he is running out of road. Fast.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I get that, but did he need to rule out so many options though? There is a blindly obvious case to rejoin the single market. Most prominent Brexit supporters said we wouldn’t leave and being out is what is doing the majority of the damage to our economy. It’s not like it was even planned for properly.
 

There was a story yesterday about a £25 million customs inspection facility in Portsmouth, paid for by the government and Portsmouth council, which was built to inspect EU food on import. The government has delayed the implementation of those inspections indefinitely so it’s lying empty. There are several other around the country likewise doing nothing. They are making it up as they go along because it’s always been a vague ideological crusade with no actual thought or logic behind it.

 

I specifically joined the Labour Party to vote for Starmer to avoid another Corbyn-like car crash with someone like Long Bailey. Stopping the Tories must be the priority. I get that they have to appeal to the majority of the electorate to win, and I fervently believe 50% of something is many, many times better than 100% of nothing. But this feels, dare I say it, a bit cowardly. I suppose it’s similar to Brown’s pledge to stick to Tory spending plans before Blair’s victory. But even that was time limited.

I'm with you in so many ways. I'm a 100% remainer, who still can't believe the country committed such devastating self-harm by voting for Brexit. But I also get Starmer's position on this. The next government will inherit the biggest financial and social shi*t storm since WWII. It would be a massive folly to plunge the country back into a hideously divisive and all consuming re-run of the Brexit debate and referendum. The Tories would love nothing more than for Labour to gift them the opportunity to run a pre-election narrative that Labour is more interested in wasting 5 years pursuing a torturous ideological campaign to overturn the results of the "democratic choice of the people", when they should be fully concentrated on solving the awful consequences of the cost of living crisis confronting people in their day to day existence.  

As much as it pains me, the mantra of "making Brexit work" strikes the right tone of respecting the Brexit vote, whilst at the same time demonstrating a willingness to work cooperatively with the EU. My hope would be that it would soon become clear to the public that making Brexit work will necessarily require much closer integration with the EU, and eventually even re-joining the SM and the EU itself. However, I think Starmer is right in his judgement to rule those options out before the next election, as to do otherwise would be to gift the Tories precisely what they want as their main platform to attack the prospect of a Labour government.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, horsefly said:

I'm with you in so many ways. I'm a 100% remainer, who still can't believe the country committed such devastating self-harm by voting for Brexit. But I also get Starmer's position on this. The next government will inherit the biggest financial and social shi*t storm since WWII. It would be a massive folly to plunge the country back into a hideously divisive and all consuming re-run of the Brexit debate and referendum. The Tories would love nothing more than for Labour to gift them the opportunity to run a pre-election narrative that Labour are more interested in wasting 5 years pursuing a torturous ideological campaign to overturn the results of the "democratic choice of the people", when they should be fully concentrated on solving the awful consequences of the cost of living crisis confronting people in their day to day existence.  

As much as it pains me, the mantra of "making Brexit work" strikes the right tone of respecting the Brexit vote, whilst at the same time demonstrating a willingness to work cooperatively with the EU. My hope would be that it would soon become clear to the public that making Brexit work will necessarily require much closer integration with the EU, and eventually even re-joining the SM and the EU itself. However, I think Starmer is right in his judgement to rule those options out before the next election, as to do otherwise would be to gift the Tories precisely what they want as their main platform to attack the prospect of a Labour government.

I can’t make a definitive argument against anything you’ve said, which is incredibly depressing. The state of political debate in this country. It’s all about making a case to the lowest common denominator. 😔

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sonyc said:

When this man gets cornered his usual MO is to come out fighting - like a teenager who feels he has been wronged. I'm expecting Johnson to show those angry eyes that we've seen very occasionally before when he is cornered. I'm expecting a lot of pointing (even making our former midfielder Peter Grant look pale in comparison). Might we see a full-on tantrum?

I don't see contrition or any acknowledgement of his position. Perhaps he may paint it as the reverse?I  suspect too there are countless people in his past who have experienced the wrath of this person. 

As I write two more junior ministers have resigned (Truss and Quince). Good idea for him not to do his usual morning run. The fact is he is running out of road. Fast.

Indeed! I'm expecting him to repeat over and over two main things; first, "I apologise sincerely for my mistakes", second, "I will get on with delivering the people's priorities". I would mortgage my house for one of those MP's to say, "The people's priority is that you just fu*ck off and disappear from public life".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It comes down to a sliding scale of “do whatever necessary to get elected” (Johnson and populists like Erdogan or Trump) at one end and “never compromise your principles” (Corbyn) at the other. Starter is clearly prepared to jockey on the scale for votes, like I say, to get 50% of something, I’d just like to see a tiny bit more principle over power come through. But I totally get that 12 years of Tory misrule need to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t make a definitive argument against anything you’ve said, which is incredibly depressing. The state of political debate in this country. It’s all about making a case to the lowest common denominator. 😔

 

Trust me, I completely share your depression. The dreadful sinking feeling I experienced when the Brexit result was confirmed has only plunged deeper with each day that the awful consequences of that decision have become apparent. Thus I find myself in support of Starmer's position as the only genuine hope that we might begin to drag ourselves back out of that pit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

The Daily Mail has spoken.  This morning's headline: "Can even Boris the Greased Piglet wriggle out of this?" 

 

The scary thing watching a few vox pops this morning is how many people still say 'Give him a chance' or are prepared to ignore his lies and deceits. I guess they get what they deserve - cheated.

Clearly some people will truly vote for any pig, greased or otherwise with a blue rosette.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I've been watching British politics closely since the early 90s. As for the last 6 years, TM's majority wasn't that big, which is why she gambled on a GE with good polling, then made a complete hash of it, and went into minority government, so we've only had about two and a bit years of a really huge Conservative majority. This degree of internal rebellion with a leader still hanging on is unprecedented.

The huge majority may be only have existed for the last two and a half years  but the basis of the current extraordinary behaviour of the Tory Party has been very obvious for much longer.

As @Nuff Said said 'never undersestimate the ability of the Tory Party to sell their souls for power' - follow his advice and you will be surprised much less often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1902 said:

It's pretty clear he is a gonner now, the question is, what happens next and how much does Tory support rebound under a different leader 

I'm sorry, but he will NEVER resign.

So for him to go there will need to be a rule change in the Conservative Party & they have too many noses in the trough atm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

I'm sorry, but he will NEVER resign.

So for him to go there will need to be a rule change in the Conservative Party & they have too many noses in the trough atm

Ohh I tend to agree with the first bit, but they can see an election coming and far too many of them lose their seats if Johnson is leader.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Ohh I tend to agree with the first bit, but they can see an election coming and far too many of them lose their seats if Johnson is leader.

I don't know how the numbers are stacking up - I doubt anyone does apart perhaps from Graham Brady - but all these ministers and PPSs who have resigned are now backbench MPs, which could mean a no-confidence motion passes, if the rules are changed to allow that.

And as if BoJo doesn't have enough problems, poor dear, he has to fill all those ministerial etc vacancies, and may find few willing to tie themselves to his sinking ship.. A PM who cannot put together a government is a goner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...