A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Talking of dreadful jounalists it looks like the overstuffed scarecrow is starting to lose his groupies.

On 23/09/2020 at 10:05, dylanisabaddog said:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

Now down to 16/1. Those are the odds regardless of when the change takes place. I only had a £2 bet. 

The majority of the others are tainted in one way or another by Covid. Sunak has probably come out of that well but I just don't see the Conservative Party appointing a Muslim. Sorry if that offends some of their voters who don't see the world like that but I think the members of the party probably do.

I'm still baffled that Sunak and his predecessor had their noses in the trough during the 2008 banking disaster yet are considered to be suitable to run the country's finances. 

Your bet is looking better by the day. Sunak definitely has looked the best of an exceptionally poor cabinet until recently but I'd say cancelling the budget a day before it's due to be given shows that in reality he hasn't got a scooby about what is going on either - what on earth has he been doing for the last few weeks\months!!!??

The whole lot of them are just winging it without a hint of a plan in the delusional hope that things will somehow (and magically) sort themselves out - rank incompetence throughout the Cabinet and IMO now almost certain that the next Tory leader will be an ex-senior minister currently on the backbenches rather than anyone currently in the Cabinet.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

This may be just the sort of scandal that Sunak et al will use to oust the ineffectual slacker:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/cross-party-group-of-mps-to-sue-government-over-alleged-failure-to-investigate-russian-interference-in-uk-elections/ar-BB1av2AY?ocid=msedgntp

"Cross-party group of MPs to sue government over alleged failure to investigate Russian interference in UK elections"

"Baroness Wheatcroft, a former Conservative peer, is among those who have filed legal proceedings against ministers accusing them of failing to protect the right to free and fair elections.  The politicians say they have no choice but to act after ministers ignored the recommendations of parliament's Intelligence & Security Committee, which earlier this year found the government and the intelligence agencies had failed to conduct any proper assessment of Russian attempts to interfere in the 2016 Brexit referendum."

• Thanks 1

There's that and also the work of George Monbiot and Jolyon Maughan that is coming through. Corruption, profiteering waste and misappropriation of funds from the top tier. It'll probably get buried in whataboutery but worth keeping an eye on. 

Oh dearie me.  Looking through the earlier comments on this thread I would have thought you idiots would be embarrassed to resurrect this thread. 

Lacking in self-awareness hardly covers it. 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Oh dearie me.  Looking through the earlier comments on this thread I would have thought you idiots would be embarrassed to resurrect this thread. 

Lacking in self-awareness hardly covers it. 

The news item is current you buffoon. And the group who are prosecuting the case are from all parties. Try to keep up with the news gnat-brain.

It's customary for leaders of other (friendly) nations to congratulate the winner of the US Presidential Election.  On you go Boris, don't delay, remember the special relationship.  How's the bill to subvert the EU Withdrawal Agreement going btw?

Edited by benchwarmer

10 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

It's customary for leaders of other (friendly) nations to congratulate the winner of the US Presidential Election.  On you go Boris, don't delay, remember the special relationship.  How's the bill to subvert the EU Withdrawal Agreement going btw?

Yep! every leader in the civilised world is getting their congrats in. And you can sense the joy and relief in their comments. Boris is truly f*cked now, not a friend in the world.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

When is Boris Johnson going to move out of 10 Downing St. and let Marcus Rashford move in?

I'll stump up for the removal van

17 hours ago, horsefly said:

Yep! every leader in the civilised world is getting their congrats in. And you can sense the joy and relief in their comments. Boris is truly f*cked now, not a friend in the world.

And no friends in the Cabinet either after he reportedly sent security investigators to their homes to examine their mobile phones in an attempt to find out who leaked the news of the lockdown.  He's been muttering about "sedition" for a while.  It's the act of a man with nothing to lose.  

With Biden in the White House, enacting the bill allowing the UK to disregard parts of the EU Withdrawal Agreement is really not a good idea.  Drop Boris and they can drop the bill.  Two birds, one stone.  The only question left is the timing -  this week or next?

Edited by benchwarmer

20 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

And no friends in the Cabinet either after he reportedly sent security investigators to their homes to examine their mobile phones in an attempt to find out who leaked the news of the lockdown.  He's been muttering about "sedition" for a while.  It's the act of a man with nothing to lose.  

With Biden in the White House, enacting the bill allowing the UK to disregard parts of the EU Withdrawal Agreement is really not a good idea.  Drop Boris and they can drop the bill.  Two birds, one stone.  The only question left is the timing -  this week or next?

Can see your point but I still think it will be next Spring before they finally take the pluhge.

Having said that it is certainly being rumoured that letters are already being sent in by Tory MPs and that if Johnson tries to extend the lockdown (which he is almost inevitably going to be advised to do by the scientists) that will be sufficient to trigger a leadership challenge.

Who knows......... but watching Trump and now Johnson trash around whilst finally starting to receive payback for their lies and incompetence would be really satisfying if it weren't for the fact that much of the damage they have caused is permanent and irreversible.

4 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Can see your point but I still think it will be next Spring before they finally take the pluhge.

Having said that it is certainly being rumoured that letters are already being sent in by Tory MPs and that if Johnson tries to extend the lockdown (which he is almost inevitably going to be advised to do by the scientists) that will be sufficient to trigger a leadership challenge.

Who knows......... but watching Trump and now Johnson trash around whilst finally starting to receive payback for their lies and incompetence would be really satisfying if it weren't for the fact that much of the damage they have caused is permanent and irreversible.

We shall see . . . as the saying goes, "Events dear boy, events".

Re. irreversible damage, I think we're in a worse position than the US.  Trump stoked the perpetually smouldering fires of hatred and division for all he was worth, but apart from that he didn't actually do much.  It was 99% pure bull$hit. The consequences of Brexit are potentially much more fundamental and difficult to remedy, although there's still time for a half-decent ideology-free deal with the EU.  And they're the great USA while we're little old Britain; they have plenty of wiggle room and we have hardly any.  Sovereignty, ha!

One lesson is crystal clear from all this: if there's anything worse than politics, it's anti-politics.

Edited by benchwarmer

2 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

We shall see . . . but as the saying goes, "Events dear boy, events".

Regarding irreversible damage, I think we're in a worse position than the US.  Trump stoked the perpetually smouldering fires of hatred and division for all he was worth, but apart from that he didn't actually do much.  Most of it was 99% pure bull$hit. The consequences of Brexit are potentially much more fundamental and difficult to remedy, although there's still time for a half-decent ideology-free deal with the EU.  And they're the great USA while we're little old Britain; they have plenty of wiggle room and we have hardly any.  Sovereignty, ha!

One lesson is crystal clear from all this: if there's anything worse than politics, it's anti-politics.

You are right that beyond stoking deep divisions and hatred Trump did 'do' very little and despite his very considerable efforts I think the US over the next few months will show itself to less divided than the UK, so on both the political and economic acale you're absolutely right that the UK has suffered far more damage than the US.

However both countries have also suffered very signifcant irreversible damage with the unnecesary deaths of many thousands of their citizens, sadly we have both done extremely badly on that score.

I think you may be more than a tad optimistic about the prospects for a 'half decent ideology free deal with the EU'  but as you rightly say 'events', we could still be surprised 😀

On 23/09/2020 at 10:05, dylanisabaddog said:

Sunak has probably come out of that well but I just don't see the Conservative Party appointing a Muslim.

I know they all look the same but I think you might find that Sunak is a Hindu.😉

20 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I know they all look the same but I think you might find that Sunak is a Hindu.😉

Oops. They still won't vote for him 🙄 He is after all a Southampton supporter. And he made quite a lot of money out of the 2008 crash, although the Tory people would probably think that was a good thing 

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oops. They still won't vote for him 🙄 He is after all a Southampton supporter. And he made quite a lot of money out of the 2008 crash, although the Tory people would probably think that was a good thing 

Winchester, Oxford, Stanford & the city..........looks ideal. I wouldn't overcook any connection with the crash and his money, just standard venture capitalist stuff. If they thought he would win in 2024 they'd go for him. But the favourite never wins, 2021 looks horrible for the Tories and Johnson is trying to cover the cabinets hands in the blood. By 2022 he will be as tainted as the rest. I think your Jeremy Hunt wager looks good value.

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

He is.  However Sajid Javid is another good candidate, and his resignation as Chancellor in January rather than submit to an order by Cummings to sack his staff means that he isn't tainted by what's gone on since then.  And we will certainly need someone who is prepared to deal with the financial consequences of government spending on covid .  But dylan's point stands; can you see the same people who chose Johnson accepting a Muslim leader?

Edited by benchwarmer

40 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Winchester, Oxford, Stanford & the city..........looks ideal. I wouldn't overcook any connection with the crash and his money, just standard venture capitalist stuff. If they thought he would win in 2024 they'd go for him. But the favourite never wins, 2021 looks horrible for the Tories and Johnson is trying to cover the cabinets hands in the blood. By 2022 he will be as tainted as the rest. I think your Jeremy Hunt wager looks good value.

I think the Tories are clever enough to pick someone who doesn't have blood on their hands. They won't pick Sunak and frankly there's not much left. I only had a few quid on Hunt because I don't see any alternative at the moment. They're definitely not going to leave Boris to argue with Starmer. I listen every Wednesday. It's a bit like listening to a commentary of Liverpool playing Dereham 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cain has gone, who will follow?

.......surely not the man with bad eyes.....

Edited by Van wink

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

This afternoon they were reporting he was going to be promoted - surely its not another Johnson u-turn? 😂

Could be he's going to delay his Brexit u-turn till next week I suppose 😂

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

This afternoon they were reporting he was going to be promoted - surely its not another Johnson u-turn? 😂

Could be he's going to delay his Brexit u-turn till next week I suppose 😂

Did they ever find the lockdown leaker?

27 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Just seeing this. Very odd timing.

If DC goes then it will add up to a Cain Mutiny!

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Did they ever find the lockdown leaker?

Don't think so, it was all the usual bluster followed by complete silence as far as I know - I imagine after they'd strip searched Matt Hancock and Michael Gove they didn't have the stomach to keep looking any further!

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Just seeing this. Very odd timing.

If DC goes then it will add up to a Cain Mutiny!

All part of the comings and goings