A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

@littleyellowbirdie - your belief in PR as a magic solution to political strife is touching.

I’m broadly in favour too, but I very much don’t think it will fix much, just give us different problems with a more equitable distribution of political representatives. Who will be from *all* parts of the spectrum including the far right, so be careful what you wish for.

Exactly! Anyone thinking PR is a solution to corruption is simply ignoring the history of all those countries in post-war Europe that have been operating such a system. It is power that corrupts, and and arguably, when small extremist groups hold the balance of power the possibility of corruption is increased not lessened (as Austria's recent history attests).

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Exactly! Anyone thinking PR is a solution to corruption is simply ignoring the history of all those countries in post-war Europe that have been operating such a system. It is power that corrupts, and and arguably, when small extremist groups hold the balance of power the possibility of corruption is increased not lessened (as Austria's recent history attests).

Yes - i think the argument for PR is simply that it more fairly reflects political opinion across the country and ideally helps to form better compromises between ingrained positions. Small parties unreasonably playing King maker is an issue under any system - even ours.

Corruption is however another issue and needs the detergent of sunlight to erase. Overdue for the incumbent party.

• Like 1

Metropolitan areas are generally Labour of left leaning. Maybe it follows that the Red Bricks are following that trend. I cannot believe the Oxbridge brigade are left wing.

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

I assume we all thought the same thing.😀

Maths? I thought he said Meths. Oh in that case I'm tipping the meths down the drain and going back on the JD Honey.

• Haha 2

On 14/04/2023 at 14:52, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - i think the argument for PR is simply that it more fairly reflects political opinion across the country and ideally helps to form better compromises between ingrained positions. Small parties unreasonably playing King maker is an issue under any system - even ours.

Corruption is however another issue and needs the detergent of sunlight to erase. Overdue for the incumbent party.

Spot on! The ERG represents a good example. They literally acted as a party within a party and were able to exert massive unwarranted influence over Tory Party policy.

• Like 1

Looks like Dominic Raab will be sacked tomorrow.

Sunak sets example to the Country on what to do in these circumstances ie promote the person and give them the go ahead to carry on bullying others.

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

Sunak sets example to the Country on what to do in these circumstances ie promote the person and give them the go ahead to carry on bullying others.

Sunak will play at being a strong leader that makes tough choices when needed. (Ignore the fact he left him in his job for months.)

One of the allegations is that Raab kept a pack of tomatoes on his desk and threw them at Civil Servants when they told him something he didn't want to hear. 

Gavin Williamson has a similar nature. When he was a minister he had a horse whip on his desk. 

What a disgusting bunch of asre wipes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

I think Sunak ought to have acted sooner. The fact that so many civil servants (isn't it over 20?), including a few in senior positions, have made complaints should have raised very serious doubts. And anyone with a position responsible for HR, corporate governance etc in any company would know someone like this ought not to be still working. Perhaps they would be on a leave of absence. Apparently, he is thick skinned and gets on with his job. 

He looks brittle and perhaps a tad unnatural as a politician. The throbbing vein on his brow is unsettling, especially when he is under challenge in parliament. His expression rarely changes either and perhaps he is someone for whom emotions don't come easily?  He often looks troubled. Maybe other people are a threat to him, like civil servants who are paid to provide data, ask questions, explain options, provide neutral advice?

He will lose his seat even if he is cleared (looks doubtful given the articles in the press). 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

On the other hand @sonyc if he is sacked we will miss out on the odd occasion when Angela Rayner stands in for KS and Rabb stands in for Sunak. It's a rare event but a joy to behold. He is absolutely terrified of her and she knows it. I suspect he's frightened of women in general.

When it happens I drop the 5 o'clock alcohol rule, sit down with a glass of red and some Lindt chocolate and giggle my way through it.

I should be slightly ashamed of myself but I'm not. He's a thoroughly unpleasant piece of work and he deserves it. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

One of the allegations is that Raab kept a pack of tomatoes on his desk and threw them at Civil Servants when they told him something he didn't want to hear. 

Gavin Williamson has a similar nature. When he was a minister he had a horse whip on his desk. 

What a disgusting bunch of asre wipes

Where fo you get this stuff from?  Prince William pegging, Williamson into bondage and raab a splosher!

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Where fo you get this stuff from?  Prince William pegging, Williamson into bondage and raab a splosher!

Raab and the tomatoes has been regularly reported in the press and was raised in Parliament 

https://news.sky.com/video/dominic-raab-denies-throwing-tomatoes-at-staff-and-other-alleged-poor-conduct-12748833

Williamson's official photo complete with whip on desk. I don't know where you got the bondage reference. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/gavin-williamson-rishi-sunak-jake-berry-prime-minister-cabinet-b1037950.html

I hesitate to post links to the William story. Suggest you Google the term 'Prince of Pegging' and see what you find. 

As for Raab, he clearly doesn't like Starmer very much. There is the famous death stare photo and of course he mouthed the word wnaker at him during PMQ's. Sorry, I can't find a link to the reporter asking him about the cause of the tomato shortage but it was very funny😂

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11730889/amp/Twitter-users-mock-Dominic-Raabs-Vulcan-death-stare-Sir-Keir-Starmer.html

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dominic-raab-appears-mouth-w-130951190.html

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

That's Truss, Kwarteng, Patel and now Raab whose reputations have been mired. 4 of the 5 'writers' of Britannia Unchained. 

That's the end of this particular fellow too. No longer have to watch his awkwardness in public office. 

As for Sunak he has hardly followed his own words. He hasn't instilled professionalism, integrity and accountability at every level. And that's ignoring a few stories about his own behaviour.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Now THAT is how to write a letter of resignation. Slag off the KC who has found against you.🤩

• Like 1

What about the Ministerial Throbbing Head Vein? Who has now got that? 

• Haha 1

Raab has achieved nothing of note and is generally wet as water. He therefore won't be missed, but the cowardice of Sunak in failing to back Raab and call out the pathetic allegations against him for the weak whining of emotionally incontinent, useless civil servants they are, is shameful -- He has a just handed even more power to the Leftist dominated Civil Service that has blocked and frustrated the Tories for years.

Sunak is a pathetic, gutless weasel.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Raab has achieved nothing of note and is generally wet as water. He therefore won't be missed, but the cowardice of Sunak in failing to back Raab and call out the pathetic allegations against him for the weak whining of emotionally incontinent, useless civil servants they are, is shameful -- He has a just handed even more power to the Leftist dominated Civil Service that has blocked and frustrated the Tories for years.

Sunak is a pathetic, gutless weasel.

Have you actually looked at the report? The independent Barrister who made it has gathered evidence from both sides and has effectively called Raab a liar. He has listened to conflicting evidence from both sides and has decided that the Senior Civil Servants involved had told the truth and Raab hadn't. 

They are not weak, whining or emotionally incontinent. They're probably not left wing either. They are just highly professional, intelligent people who got screamed at because they told Raab he was wrong.