A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

43 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

The ex-UKIP fringe element is probably concentrated in certain constituencies rather than spread more thinly across the country.  But in terms of total numbers they add up.

The result of the next election will not be decided by the colour of Sunak's skin.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

One report said Johnson had been told he would not be able to govern and would face severe disruption to any policies.

And Mourdant was told constituencies workers were telling their own MPs to sort it. There was no appetite for more voting.

The rules were formulated to ensure there would be no members vote. That was patently obvious last week.

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The result of the next election will not be decided by the colour of Sunak's skin.

I've got a tenner on incompetence at a good 7/1.👍

• Haha 1

I just hope we get a period of stability with some rebuilding of confidence after the debacle of the last few months, hardly a lot to ask for but we are now in such a mess that this would be something of an achievement.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Very true. That result has been predictable ever since Corbyn was ousted and irrespective of the so called 'revolving door of chaos', inflation, COVID, 'partygate', energy costs etc. After 12 years of a (largely) Conservative Govt. people simply want a change and that means the North London Barrister will walk into No. 10 by end of 2024 if not sooner. That's always assuming we haven't been vaporised by Putin and his increasingly more extreme henchmen who now seem to be calling the shots. 

• Like 1

From the BBC. Iain Duncan Smith's comments to LBC. 

Johnson thought all he had to do was turn up and people would drop to their knees. That sums him up totally 

"Speaking on LBC radio's Tonight with Andrew Marr programme, Sir Iain says Johnson ended up "begging people for votes" after flying back from a holiday in the Caribbean over the weekend.

"He'd made no plans, he got no team," Sir Iain says.

"He kind of expected, I think, when he arrived, that there would be at least 150 people acclaiming him, and this would grow to the majority. That didn't happen."

Sir Iain says Johnson then found himself "struggling and begging people for votes. That was demeaning really."

He adds that when Johnson then asked other candidates to back him, "the others said, 'no, the only deal we'd do with you is if you were serving us, not the other way round.'

"And that of course didn't suit him."

There was no immediate response from Johnson's team to Sir Iain's remarks."

7 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

How often do we hear from those on the 'left' of British politics that the Tories are .................'far right', 'misogynistic' and 'racist'. When I last checked, said Party had provided THREE women PM's and the first PM of 'ethnically mixed ' origin. How strange!

One might suggest that the much hyped Labour Party could be seen as trailing badly in these matters??

Please note this post comes from someone who agrees with Peter Hitchen's description of the .....'useless Tories' !!

Have to say when I listened to a phone in yesterday the members that thought they were going to have a vote said Sunak couldn’t get in because ‘ he was brown ‘ ‘ Wasn’t British ‘ ‘ Wouldn’t understand the economy because he didn’t come from Britain ‘ + quite a few more things. I have watched as members of the government and even a couple of posters on here lied about people from other countries to try and get you to hate people from said countries. The RNLI were verbally abused for rescuing immigrants. Some of the comments from some of the 160,000 idiots today were disgusting. I must have imagined that it was Tory politicians that encouraged the booing of the taking of the knee. And o wasn’t it Johnson that knew about a sexual assault by one of his MPs and did nothing about it.

It was the members of the Tory party that commented on the PM being ethnically mixed and how vile that was, if you want to give me examples from the left, then please feel free.

The days of Trumpism are past and no longer is one thing worse than 100.

• Like 1

Guardian reporting they reckon Ben Wallace will be out the cabinet. Pretty much the only one I'd care about staying in his role and getting rid of him does not scream stability, but he's made some strong statements.

Haha, the Daily Star does it again.

After Lettuce Liz, today their front page features a 2022 calendar with Rishi Sunak as Mr October.

10 hours ago, Van wink said:

I just hope we get a period of stability with some rebuilding of confidence after the debacle of the last few months, hardly a lot to ask for but we are now in such a mess that this would be something of an achievement.

I don't, I hope this continues and the party eats itself alive until all that's left is a Rambo-style Nadine Dorries trying to get herself off with Boris Johnson's lopped-off todger.

• Haha 3

Useless fact of the day, just heard on the radio that every time they change PM they get a new podium/lectern for them to stand outside No. 10. They are custom made to suit the height of the PM. 

I wonder if they wrap them up and give them as a leaving gift to the outgoing PM?

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Useless fact of the day, just heard on the radio that every time they change PM they get a new podium/lectern for them to stand outside No. 10. They are custom made to suit the height of the PM. 

I wonder if they wrap them up and give them as a leaving gift to the outgoing PM?

Would be a good example of "making efficiencies" if Rishi stood on a soap box.

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Would be a good example of "making efficiencies" if Rishi stood on a soap box.

Poor old Liz, after all she's been through you're denying her a leaving gift. 😀

On 21/10/2022 at 19:51, Well b back said:

Here’s someone with the same thoughts as you and he is a very sensible man

The return of Boris Johnson as prime minister would lead to a "death spiral" for the Tories, ex-Conservative leader Lord William Hague has said.

Lord Hague, speaking to Times Radio, described a new Johnson premiership as "possibly the worst idea I've heard of" during his 46-year party membership.

He claimed the ex-prime minister was unable to run a government correctly and uphold high standards of conduct.

"That would be going round in circles and that could become a death spiral of the Conservative Party," he said.

Hague had a terrible job on when he was leader of the Tories back then. He does speak from a position of experience.

As for Sunak getting in, well - we've had the cowboys so now it's time to try the Indians.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Amazing that in 2022 some human beings can't seen to grasp that the skin of a person doesn't define them.

Suppose it's easier to pass for British if your parents emigrate to Britain from a predominantly white country.

A German Royal family .....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

The rules were formulated to ensure there would be no members vote. That was patently obvious last week.

Well they didn't do a good job then, did they? In the end it wasn't the rules that prevented Johnson from running, pretty sure I read the 1922 Committee have confirmed he had the numbers. It was threats from MPs and, presumably, the grey suits, that led him to accept it would have been a disaster.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Well they didn't do a good job then, did they? In the end it wasn't the rules that prevented Johnson from running, pretty sure I read the 1922 Committee have confirmed he had the numbers. It was threats from MPs and, presumably, the grey suits, that led him to accept it would have been a disaster.

Agree with that - the rules where really set to cut the field down quickly - but clearly not to stop a membership run-off ballot. It seems Johnson may have got the 102 (although we'll never really know for sure - nominations could of been withdrawn before 2pm perhaps) and Mordaunt after Johnson withdrew came too close.

All that said sensible decision eventually arrived at more it seems by luck than judgement.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Agree with that - the rules where really set to cut the field down quickly - but clearly not to stop a membership run-off ballot. It seems Johnson may have got the 102 (although we'll never really know for sure - nominations could of been withdrawn before 2pm perhaps) and Mordaunt after Johnson withdrew came too close.

All that said sensible decision eventually arrived at more it seems by luck than judgement.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1584518499946221569?s=20&t=VG7gh4t4hDo33GwXUMEUBg

It was confirmed by 1922C that Boris had the backing, all he had to do was put the paper in. 😶

Edited by TheRock

11 minutes ago, TheRock said:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1584518499946221569?s=20&t=VG7gh4t4hDo33GwXUMEUBg

It was confirmed by 1922C that Boris had the backing, all he had to do was put the paper in.

Not arguing the numbers but everything was 'virtual' until 2pm. Boris was in the end a non-runner. Mordaunt wasn't. I suspect if Johnson had been a non-runner from the start Mordaunt would of got her 100+

Edited by Yellow Fever

18 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Another thing from the earlier leadership election which was apparent early on was multiple candidates all slagging each other off especially the goverments record which made the party look bad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

Have to say when I listened to a phone in yesterday the members that thought they were going to have a vote said Sunak couldn’t get in because ‘ he was brown ‘ ‘ Wasn’t British ‘ ‘ Wouldn’t understand the economy because he didn’t come from Britain ‘ + quite a few more things. I have watched as members of the government and even a couple of posters on here lied about people from other countries to try and get you to hate people from said countries. The RNLI were verbally abused for rescuing immigrants. Some of the comments from some of the 160,000 idiots today were disgusting. I must have imagined that it was Tory politicians that encouraged the booing of the taking of the knee. And o wasn’t it Johnson that knew about a sexual assault by one of his MPs and did nothing about it.

It was the members of the Tory party that commented on the PM being ethnically mixed and how vile that was, if you want to give me examples from the left, then please feel free.

The days of Trumpism are past and no longer is one thing worse than 100.

thank you for the opportunity. Is this ok with you................................................

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/14/comparing-erg-to-nazis-not-strong-enough-says-david-lammy

8 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

thank you for the opportunity. Is this ok with you................................................

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/14/comparing-erg-to-nazis-not-strong-enough-says-david-lammy

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Relevance please? 

Must admit I'm struggling with this too. Lammy is enraged by Moggy publicizing some AFD stuff as a slippery slope.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Amazing that in 2022 some human beings can't seen to grasp that the skin of a person doesn't define them.

Suppose it's easier to pass for British if your parents emigrate to Britain from a predominantly white country.

The caller said "He [Sunak] doesn't love Britain like Boris does"

He must be the only person left on the planet who doesn't realise that Boris only loves Boris.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Unlike when Truss won the Tory party members vote. 

• Like 1

Bold of Truss to quote Seneca. Certainly one needed to be a stoic to live through her premiership. Sunak will get a bit of a honeymoon she through her own stupidity didn’t have. But any number of almost immediate pitfalls. Leaving aside the dirty great elephant in the room of the budget, does he face down the ERG and the DUP over the NI protocol?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Bold of Truss to quote Seneca. Certainly one needed to be a stoic to live through her premiership. Sunak will get a bit of a honeymoon she through her own stupidity didn’t have. But any number of almost immediate pitfalls. Leaving aside the dirty great elephant in the room of the budget, does he face down the ERG and the DUP over the NI protocol?

I actually thought, indeed I think I said, that Truss would do the energy deal, get a big popularity spike because of it (on top of a honeymoon period) and go straight to the polls with a fair wind behind her before the chickens came home to roost.

She simply 'blew' it with the mini-budget and the chickens have all well and truly come home to roost.

Edited by Yellow Fever