A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

26 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I'm afraid he is completely useless, in fact its worse than that!

As many analysts have said, the root of the issue is now credibility. Credibility with Truss, Kwarteng and the so called government with those we have to borrow from. Ideology of the blue ERG kind doesn't cut it I'm afraid or belief in unicorns.  Once credibility is lost it's almost impossible to recover.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Will we raise that from tax revenues or will we be borrowing it ?.

Well technically, we are selling our debt to the BoE.

56 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I almost wish it were true because at least it would show that they do actually know what they're doing, however corrupt it might be. 

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Whatever you'd like her to be..... 

Ex-PM sounds very good to me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

(Poor taste alert)

Rumour has it that after the Queen met Liz Truss at Balmoral, she said "I need to lie down" . . .

Queen's Speech.jpg

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

As many analysts have said, the root of the issue is now credibility. Credibility with Truss, Kwarteng and the so called government with those we have to borrow from. Ideology of the blue ERG kind doesn't cut it I'm afraid or belief in unicorns.  Once credibility is lost it's almost impossible to recover.

Yes I'm afraid the markets can be swift to turn once the illusion or otherwise of competence has been shattered, its all about confidence and if Stan and Ollie hadn't realised that they certainly do now. No grasp of the real world, so desperate to make a mark they had no regard to what was happening in the financial markets when they blurted out this nonsense, the grinning face of Truss as the speech was being made only adds to the pathetic spectacle.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

May's deal was described on a Lib Dem podcast with Mark Pack as the 'best possible deal anybody could reasonably expect'. and that was a fair analysis. It was a soft Brexit that ticked the boxes for saying we'd left the EU while leaving us in the Customs Union by way of the NI protocol backstop indefinitely according to the EU's will. 

You're just spouting the Labour line of the time, but as KG said, Corbyn had no real interest in mitigating Brexit either, being the guy who was out on the lawn the day after the referendum result calling for article 50 to be invoked immediately. 

No, I'm not and whatever a Lib Dem may or may not have said it wasn't the best deal available not least because most of the best options were never properly explored but were ruled out by May right at the start of the process and long before before any negotiations even started.

It probably was the best deal May could have achieved, given all those self-imposed limitations but that is a completely different thing to what you are suggesting.

Having said all that, I agree with you to the extent that May's deal, shoddy though it was would have been better for us than the mess Johnson landed us with but despite the backstop theoretically protecting NI 'indefinitely' it just wasn't sustainable in the long term and it isn't how it would have played out - it would inevitably have caused trouble in NI, just maybe taken a little longer than in Johnson's version.

If you think I'm repeating or indeed voicing any support for Labour's line during that time then I'm lost for words other than IMO Corbyn's performance as Leader of the Opposition was pathetic and exactly mirrored May's as PM in being solely interested in keeping their respective parties together without any regard for the national interest.

As for the timing of Article 50 that was another piece of absolute stupidity by May - I'm quite sure that anybody could have, and many actually did, tell her that negotiating a proper Brexit deal in just 2 years was an exceptionally tall, if not impossible, order. But that was the period specified in Article 50 so it was an act of gross incompetence to trigger it before we were remotely ready to begin serious negotiations. Even if we had prepared thoroughly and developed some kind of intelligent negotiating strategy before triggering it would still have been a tall order but to trigger in the shambolic and clueless way that we did and without any sort of a plan (although of course we've become very familiar with that approach since then) was a downright dereliction of duty and disadvantaged the UK hugely vis a vis the EU who had, of course, done their homework in detail, developed a plan and executed it precisely.

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

May's deal was described on a Lib Dem podcast with Mark Pack as the 'best possible deal anybody could reasonably expect'. and that was a fair analysis. It was a soft Brexit that ticked the boxes for saying we'd left the EU while leaving us in the Customs Union by way of the NI protocol backstop indefinitely according to the EU's will. 

May's deal was as good as we were going to get, in fact better.....I shall say no more for fear of repeating myself..on another thread.

As for the New Tory leader, thick as two short planks and who would have thought things could have taken a downturn for our Country from the previous incumbent.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's a sign of how bad things are that the Government are planning to give Dido Harding another job in the health sector and no-one has mentioned how stupid an idea this is.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/health/baroness-dido-harding-who-is-the-new-chief-of-the-institute-replacing-public-health-england-and-what-will-the-national-health-body-do-2945831

Baroness Dido Harding has been appointed to run a new health body that will replace Public Health England (PHE).

Ms Harding is to become the interim executive chair of the new National Institute for Health Protection (NIHP), which will be responsible for preventing future outbreaks of infectious diseases.

That really is unbelieveable, just when we were thinking (well hoping perhaps more than thinking!) that things can't get any worse 🙄

Didn't we used to have rules to prevent ministers simply handing out highly paid jobs, lucrative contracts etc to their mates and/or funders, or have those rules already found their way onto 'squeaky clean' Liz's bonfire of regulations??

Mary E. Truss will go into history as the worst most calamitous and short lived PM ever. Residing over the Queens death, the pound tanking, inflation rising inexorably, interest rates rocketing, and poverty increasing by the day.

Refoice, she only started 3 weeks ago, it can only get worse. BTW. Anybody seen her the last few days? Has she got Covid or is she busy re decoration over BOJO's excesses?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Mary E. Truss will go into history as the worst most calamitous and short lived PM ever. Residing over the Queens death, the pound tanking, inflation rising inexorably, interest rates rocketing, and poverty increasing by the day.

Refoice, she only started 3 weeks ago, it can only get worse. BTW. Anybody seen her the last few days? Has she got Covid or is she busy re decoration over BOJO's excesses?

You may remember the legendary scenes from Eastenders, decades ago, where Arfur Fowler had a massive breakdown, sitting in his chair rocking back and forth, thousand yard stare etc. That is where she is at....

• Like 1

Breaking News - Just breaking on BBC and other news channels.

The Government have confirmed they will not be changing their mini budget, advising they believe it was the correct action to take.

They are however ( and this is serious ) no longer blaming Labour for the volatility, but it is now Putin fault. 

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The Tory party conference next week should be fun or perhaps not.

It will either be open season on Truss and Kwarteng or a morgue.

It will be a few days slagging off Labour. They have beggar all else to talk about.

• Like 1

They really need to f****** go now

Putin's war causing market volatility - Treasury minister

Some more now from Andrew Griffith, the Financial Secretary to the Treasury.

The government is not responsible for the turmoil in markets, the minister insists.

Griffith says: "We are seeing the same impacts of Putin's war in Ukraine cascading through things like the cost of energy, some of the supply-side implications of that."

Griffith says the war is impacting "every major economy", and that other countries are also experiencing rising interest rates.

BREAKINGOur plans are right - Treasury minister

image.gif.12a2b555ec30b14636a7f4eb265effda.gif
BBCCopyright: BBC

The government's tax-cutting policies are the "right plans" and "make our economy competitive", Treasury minister Andrew Griffith says.

Despite the markets reacting badly to the chancellor's tax-cutting mini-budget, Griffith says the plans will create jobs and keep people in work.

Last Friday's announcement of £45bn of tax cuts, funded by borrowing as part of a plan to boost economic growth, sparked a fall in the pound and caused borrowing costs to surge.

Pushed again on whether there would be a change of plan, Griffith says: "Get on and deliver that plan - that's what I, the chancellor and my colleagues in government are focused on."

"That is what's going to allow consumers to benefit," he says.

So let’s get this right for today as well as it’s not the government’s fault

This morning pound stabilises ( again )

Mid morning Kwasi speaks ( again ) to banks Pound plummets

BOE issue rescue bid Pound begins to bounce back

Government tonight start bragging they are doing the right thing - only time will tell if that will cause jitters again.

Here we go then. Just f****** put the taxes back and issue a windfall tax - You f****** ****.

BREAKINGGovernment departments to be asked to find 'spending efficiencies'

dc81ea7f-0d15-4a6f-ac9e-1a16b2e4b9ca.jpg

Helen Catt

Political correspondent

The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Chris Philp, will write to government departments in the coming days about and identifying spending efficiencies and living within the spending review, a Whitehall source has confirmed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Here we go then. Just f****** put the taxes back and issue a windfall tax - You f****** ****.

BREAKINGGovernment departments to be asked to find 'spending efficiencies'

dc81ea7f-0d15-4a6f-ac9e-1a16b2e4b9ca.jpg

Helen Catt

Political correspondent

The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Chris Philp, will write to government departments in the coming days about and identifying spending efficiencies and living within the spending review, a Whitehall source has confirmed.

They've spent 12 years cutting everything to the bone. What else can these feckers cut??

24 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So let’s get this right for today as well as it’s not the government’s fault

This morning pound stabilises ( again )

Mid morning Kwasi speaks ( again ) to banks Pound plummets

BOE issue rescue bid Pound begins to bounce back

Government tonight start bragging they are doing the right thing - only time will tell if that will cause jitters again.

Quite incredible isn't it! The BOE had to intervene today to save multiple pension funds from insolvency. In response the government would rather snatch money from a destitute NHS and education system than retract their utterly feckless and immoral pledge to stuff £55,000 into the pockets of every millionaire. Such degenerate ignorance defies belief.

Edited by horsefly

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

No, I'm not and whatever a Lib Dem may or may not have said it wasn't the best deal available not least because most of the best options were never properly explored but were ruled out by May right at the start of the process and long before before any negotiations even started.

It probably was the best deal May could have achieved, given all those self-imposed limitations but that is a completely different thing to what you are suggesting.

Having said all that, I agree with you to the extent that May's deal, shoddy though it was would have been better for us than the mess Johnson landed us with but despite the backstop theoretically protecting NI 'indefinitely' it just wasn't sustainable in the long term and it isn't how it would have played out - it would inevitably have caused trouble in NI, just maybe taken a little longer than in Johnson's version.

If you think I'm repeating or indeed voicing any support for Labour's line during that time then I'm lost for words other than IMO Corbyn's performance as Leader of the Opposition was pathetic and exactly mirrored May's as PM in being solely interested in keeping their respective parties together without any regard for the national interest.

As for the timing of Article 50 that was another piece of absolute stupidity by May - I'm quite sure that anybody could have, and many actually did, tell her that negotiating a proper Brexit deal in just 2 years was an exceptionally tall, if not impossible, order. But that was the period specified in Article 50 so it was an act of gross incompetence to trigger it before we were remotely ready to begin serious negotiations. Even if we had prepared thoroughly and developed some kind of intelligent negotiating strategy before triggering it would still have been a tall order but to trigger in the shambolic and clueless way that we did and without any sort of a plan (although of course we've become very familiar with that approach since then) was a downright dereliction of duty and disadvantaged the UK hugely vis a vis the EU who had, of course, done their homework in detail, developed a plan and executed it precisely.

Realistically, it was good as any deal was going to get; the EU was fighting its own corner when all's said and done and you can't dictate what it's going to accede to. 

Also, 2 years was the time frame stipulated by article 50, regardless of when article 50 was invoked or what anyone else thought about it. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Quite incredible isn't it! The BOE had to intervene today to save multiple pension funds from insolvency. In response the government would rather snatch money from a destitute NHS and education system than retract their utterly feckless and immoral pledge to stuff £55,000 into the pockets of every millionaire. Such degenerate ignorance defies belief.

Yet there are people boasting the pound recovered today as though it was to do with the Government that it recovered. 

1 hour ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

For once, I agree with you. 

The end of the world is truly upon us. 

I hear Martin Handford has revamped his ‘ Where’s Wally ‘ creation to ‘ Where’s Lizzy ‘.

At least Johnson used to be brave enough to come out and face his critics.

13 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I hear Martin Handford has revamped his ‘ Where’s Wally ‘ creation to ‘ Where’s Lizzy ‘.

Erm, only when he didn't get trapped in a fridge.

there are reports concerned Tory MPs are already sending letters to the 1922 Committee chair Sir Graham Brady, in an attempt to trigger the no confidence vote.

Apparently surprise, surprise Boris Johnson supporters.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Well b back said:

When he had his lies ready!