A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I think Joe Lycett's appearance on a Sunday morning politics programme will be the last one he will do.😂 Completely took the p1ss out of the whole charade. Thornberry could barely stop herself from laughing each time he said "but I'm very right wing".

Meanwhile Truss says "with me, what you see is what you'll get".... which needs some kind of emoji help😜🫢😱😯😵💫💩

He deserves an award for this performance, it's absolutely brilliant. Thornbury trying not to burst out laughing!

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I think Joe Lycett's appearance on a Sunday morning politics programme will be the last one he will do.😂 Completely took the p1ss out of the whole charade. Thornberry could barely stop herself from laughing each time he said "but I'm very right wing".

Meanwhile Truss says "with me, what you see is what you'll get".... which needs some kind of emoji help😜🫢😱😯😵💫💩

It was fabulous, the delivery was spot on......... poor old Laura, her first show certainly got noticed...... in the same way that Spitting Image did! 😂

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It was fabulous, the delivery was spot on......... poor old Laura, her first show certainly got noticed...... in the same way that Spitting Image did! 

And I thought at the very beginning he was being serious but then thought "this cannot be serious" and soon twigged. Laura K didn't know how to handle it. 

To be honest I've grown a bit bored with these kind of programmes because of the perceived necessary need  or fear (always) to try and give balance. When really, the journalism ought to be highlighting what is wrong with our politics. To do that it must mean a move away from a kind of entertainment and become more data led - evidenced with academic / neutral commentators - and maybe more boring therefore.

I'm debating whether to give up on watching (like I have done with Question Time for 95% of the time) and listen to podcasts more. The Campbell and Rory Stewart one is excellent. Still, there is hard comment but the analysis is deeper, far more personal and mostly fair. Both participants are able to share humour and there is also a gentler appreciation of each others' viewpoints. I'm guessing Rory S might be more of a liberal commentator than the majority of his party. But he talks sense. 

Whilst I don't think I'm ever wired to vote Conservative in my lifetime I'm sure I would want to support someone like Stewart doing well. In the same way as I always found Blair too right wing I still wanted some of his policies to work for the country. 

Our politics isn't helped by these Sunday morning programmes. R4 Today programme used to be cutting edge (thinking Brian Redhead's day). He would ask for a minute's silence if someone said something outrageous I recall. Literally leaving the interviewee to sit in their awkward self awareness. Nowadays Today feels politically imbalanced. No wonder people are turning away.

Silence is a tool very underused (precisely because it is felt it makes for poor TV). Yet silence allows an interviewee to reflect on what they are saying. It's hard not to jump in though and that is what today's presenters do. It's become political coverage that's a bit like Talk Sport.

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Deckchairs on the Titanic.

The GOANTs...Government of Absolutely No Talents. 🤣

Ben Wally and Tom Tug can hide away and prepare for the next leadership campaign. 😅

Apples

3 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

The GOANTs...Government of Absolutely No Talents. 🤣

Ben Wally and Tom Tug can hide away and prepare for the next leadership campaign. 😅

Apples

If that list is correct then it must rank as the most talentless bunch ever assembled. Cabinet meetings will be a hoot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Hold the front page

Late entry into the leadership contest 

Finally, we may have a sensible option 

😂 He has to be an improvement on the other two numpties, or so I thought until I read the paragraph:

"Larry was only four years old when he was adopted from Battersea Dogs & Cats Home to begin his new life in politics and has served as a trusted companion(/adviser) to three prime ministers: David Cameron, Theresa May and the outgoing PM, Boris Johnson."

Ok, I admit I added the bit in blue to the quote but it does seem very much what is implied in the article, so that was when I began to have a few doubts about Larry.

But on further reflection, I think my first reaction was definitely the correct one 😂

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

And I thought at the very beginning he was being serious but then thought "this cannot be serious" and soon twigged. Laura K didn't know how to handle it. 

To be honest I've grown a bit bored with these kind of programmes because of the perceived necessary need  or fear (always) to try and give balance. When really, the journalism ought to be highlighting what is wrong with our politics. To do that it must mean a move away from a kind of entertainment and become more data led - evidenced with academic / neutral commentators - and maybe more boring therefore.

I'm debating whether to give up on watching (like I have done with Question Time for 95% of the time) and listen to podcasts more. The Campbell and Rory Stewart one is excellent. Still, there is hard comment but the analysis is deeper, far more personal and mostly fair. Both participants are able to share humour and there is also a gentler appreciation of each others' viewpoints. I'm guessing Rory S might be more of a liberal commentator than the majority of his party. But he talks sense. 

Whilst I don't think I'm ever wired to vote Conservative in my lifetime I'm sure I would want to support someone like Stewart doing well. In the same way as I always found Blair too right wing I still wanted some of his policies to work for the country. 

Our politics isn't helped by these Sunday morning programmes. R4 Today programme used to be cutting edge (thinking Brian Redhead's day). He would ask for a minute's silence if someone said something outrageous I recall. Literally leaving the interviewee to sit in their awkward self awareness. Nowadays Today feels politically imbalanced. No wonder people are turning away.

Silence is a tool very underused (precisely because it is felt it makes for poor TV). Yet silence allows an interviewee to reflect on what they are saying. It's hard not to jump in though and that is what today's presenters do. It's become political coverage that's a bit like Talk Sport.

I always enjoyed Andrew Marr show and thought it gave a pretty balanced view, not sure I share your view of the Today program either but I do understand where you are coming from. I guess there is always a desire, maybe even subliminal, to tune in to media that reinforce our own view, whether that be BBC or podcasts. And yes, the absence of big hitters like Brian Redhead certainly weakens our democracy. The mediocre nature of our current media really hit home with me when there was the session with Cummings in number 10 garden, he was clearly lying through is teeth and enjoying it, and not one of them laid a glove on him.

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I always enjoyed Andrew Marr show and thought it gave a pretty balanced view, not sure I share your view of the Today program either but I do understand where you are coming from. I guess there is always a desire, maybe even subliminal, to tune in to media that reinforce our own view, whether that be BBC or podcasts. And yes, the absence of big hitters like Brian Redhead certainly weakens our democracy. The mediocre nature of our current media really hit home with me when there was the session with Cummings in number 10 garden, he was clearly lying through is teeth and enjoying it, and not one of them laid a glove on him.

Yes, fair enough. I get bored though just reading stuff that only reinforces my views. Not that I want to read stuff I don't agree with either but at least you feel challenged sometimes if you do. It's the imbalance I dislike. And the sheer cowardice in journalists not challenging. Not calling out blatant lies. Watching Trump and people who support him (more so) plus the Johnson acolytes is so depressing. Are we really moving to a non truth society? The forthcoming election of Truss is so dispiriting too.

Yet for all of my views, I'm probably a pseudo intellectual VW - I believe so anyway... Just a nobody and therefore it doesn't matter really what I think😟 I've been more concerned recently about posting on politics as I've nothing to say that I think is very interesting. I get feelings like that every now and again. I think the political commentary on TV is an influence.

Thankfully, there are many great posters on this forum who are worth reading and articulate too.

Agree about Cummings. That was a real once-in-a-lifetime political event. I reckon somehow he managed to believe his own words.

I've moved from R4 to R3 quite a lot. No party politics there really. Odd given I'm arguably more motivated by change as I've got older. Just now to wait til we get good leadership. It's been a long time.

I don't hold my breath for the arrival of good leadership anytime soon sonyc, indeed I'm not sure if anytime in the foreseeable future. Truly good leadership will require change which democracy is probably unable to deliver imo. I have posted before that I have very little hope for our future, when I look around me  I often see hugely inspirational people making a big difference in a small environment, motivating people, telling it how it is and enjoying support. But it strikes me that the outcome is small scale great works which never seem to "change the world". Things will only change when the developed world takes a massive hit and fully appreciates its place in the global order, ie, we all recognise how insignificant we are and that we all, wherever our birthplace, deserve the same chance. We will get there some day I'm sure, but I'm not sure I want to experience that reality for myself or more particularly for my children. It's a bit of a dilemma really, mainly because whilst aspiring to a grand ideal I am too selfish.

57 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The BBC and other's version of balance is still fundamentally flawed. They still balance an expert view against an opinion and this is where the trouble lies. It needs to be like for like to get a full view of what is going on.

(Another for Radio 3 breakfast. It definitely cuts down on the swearing.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

The BBC and other's version of balance is still fundamentally flawed. They still balance an expert view against an opinion and this is where the trouble lies. It needs to be like for like to get a full view of what is going on.

I know what you're saying, feel the same sometimes, the whole thing feels a lot more complicated than it did years ago, I really get the impression that so many experts are not politically independent in their views, if thats the case does their expressed view carry any more weight than an informed opinion? Probably had an extra glass tonight so dont bother to respond 😀

Edited by Van wink

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

Indeed it does.👍

And to @Van wink - living life 'small' is definitely an answer. Just to dig your garden (Voltaire), enjoy a song or write a story helps giving your existence at least a modicum of meaning (Sartre). I would add enjoying nature, art and music all adds to life. As is being kind to others. 

It's the only way to ensure your own version of idealism finds a home.

I will leave a little video here I came across a few weeks ago. A cartoon parable I suppose.

Edited by sonyc

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

And to @Van wink - living life 'small' is definitely an answer. Just to dig your garden (Voltaire), enjoy a song or write a story helps giving your existence at least a modicum of meaning (Sartre). I would add enjoying nature, art and music all adds to life. As is being kind to others. 

It's the only way to ensure your own version of idealism finds a home.

Cant argue with that, fortunately something I discovered a long time ago.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sonyc said:

Shame on Joe. He's managed to upset the Mail with his violent and angry outburst. Poor little lambs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just 15 days short of two years and my OP has achieved it's aim.

This qualifies me as a political guru and in future I do not expect any of you fools to even spend one second in thinking how you can disagree with me.

I am invincible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Just 15 days short of two years and my OP has achieved it's aim.

This qualifies me as a political guru and in future I do not expect any of you fools to even spend one second in thinking how you can disagree with me.

I am invincible.

Can't disagree with any of the above but in the hope that you'll be coming out with a new but rather similar post re Truss fairly soon, could you see your way clear to getting it done in one year rather than two? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

B l o o  d y  H e l l

Survation has released some new polling this morning suggesting that Labour has a 10-point lead over the Conservatives – but that if respondents are told Keir Starmer is the Labour leader, and Liz Truss the Tory leader, the Labour lead rises to 17 points.

May change if Truss enacts Labours/LibDem energy freeze asap.

Edited by Yellow Fever

29 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Can't disagree with any of the above but in the hope that you'll be coming out with a new but rather similar post re Truss fairly soon, could you see your way clear to getting it done in one year rather than two? 😀

As long as one year...that's very optimistic. 🤪🤣

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Less than 60%, not a very resounding victory.

Only 47% of the Tory members bothered to vote for her, that doesn't meet the threshold that the government have set for Union strike votes.

Edited by A Load of Squit

I lasted 30 seconds of her speech before swearing and changing radio stations. Better record than Johnson's. Well done Liz. 

• Like 1

Only 57 percent? Far closer than many thought but does go to show how much she is disliked in her party.

God her speech though, pausing and waiting for applause and laughter that never comes..

Boris back by new year at this rate!

22 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Less than 60%, not a very resounding victory.

No, and of course that is from the old duffers in the party - I think, though I could be wrong on this, that it is the first time that the old duffers have overruled the MPs.

Even in the final ballot she got the vote of less than a third of the MPs - given that Johnson had his 80 seat majority and far stronger support amongst his MPs than that and yet still struggled on multiple occasions because of backbench rebellions, it makes you wonder how Truss is going to fare with her madcap policies and many extremely nervous/unhappy MPs who clearly don't want her as leader.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

I hope she is going to hand back her wages for the last month considering she has not been doing her job as Foreign Secretary during that period.

How many people would be able to go and look for a new job for a month on full pay?

Edited by keelansgrandad

I'm hoping this is the nadir. It has to be doesn't it? We had David Cameron as a moronic Tory PM and thought it couldn't get much worse, then along comes Theresa May who somehow managed to outdo Cameron and be even worse. Then along came Boris Johnson to plumb new depths and we thought that has to be the worst it can possibly get.

But now we have Liz Truss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm hoping this is the nadir. It has to be doesn't it? We had David Cameron as a moronic Tory PM and thought it couldn't get much worse, then along comes Theresa May who somehow managed to outdo Cameron and be even worse. Then along came Boris Johnson to plumb new depths and we thought that has to be the worst it can possibly get.

But now we have Liz Truss.

I think she has to be given a chance - but if her cabinet is as predicted - the right of the Tory party without balance or anybody able to speak truth to power and her polices are straight from Britannia Unchained then I think we're all in a lot of trouble very quickly. 

• Like 1