A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

So, the former chancellor admits that the "levelling up" agenda was nothing but a lie. Boasting that he diverted money from deprived urban areas to more affluent country towns Like Tunbridge Wells may well please the Tory diehards in Kent, but I suspect the red wall Tory MPs and members are all putting their X in Truss' box this morning.

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-boasts-of-taking-money-from-deprived-urban-areas-for-wealthy-towns-12666046

They think it’s all over.  It’s Liz now!
I wonder if I could sell that headline to The Sun?

10 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The is no 'prevailing woke culture' the only people 'totally wrapped' are the fools trying to create a culture war.

Just shouting 'woke' at everything does not legitimise it, all it does is demonstrate that they do not know what the term 'woke' means.

This is what the likes of Badenoch don't get. There's only a "culture war" if one side chooses, for asinine reasons, to resist and create one in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

So, the former chancellor admits that the "levelling up" agenda was nothing but a lie. Boasting that he diverted money from deprived urban areas to more affluent country towns Like Tunbridge Wells may well please the Tory diehards in Kent, but I suspect the red wall Tory MPs and members are all putting their X in Truss' box this morning.

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-boasts-of-taking-money-from-deprived-urban-areas-for-wealthy-towns-12666046

8 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Yes, he’s shot himself in the foot rather badly with that silly statement.

Obviously its not news that it was always a lie - after all it came from and was continuously repeated by Johnson.

No one surely ever believed that it was anything other than an empty slogan and if even they did then they've had three years of observing the Johnson government in action, or rather inaction, to prove that it was.

But even so, to have these two idiots, Truss with her regional pay board rubbish and now Sunak who seems to have completely lost the plot, come out and admit that one of the major policies in the Tory 2019 manifesto and supposedly one of their major priorities for this parliament is a complete fallacy does seem a bit bizzare..........

But then again they've done exactly the same over the climate emergency and whilst I hate it when Cummings is right about things but his description of Truss as 'completely bonkers' was spot on and I think he has said some pretty critical things about Tory MPs and Tory party members in general which also look more and more accurate as each day passes.

• Like 2

The Tory Party has been infiltrated by right wing **** jockeys so its no wonder they want the easily manipulated Truss in charge  

4 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

They think it’s all over.  It’s Liz now!
I wonder if I could sell that headline to The Sun?

Why tell a Tory meeting that is what happened. They couldn't give a monkeys. He knew Brexit and its immigration agenda would get the Northern seats they needed. Why would he reward them for their stupidity?

6 hours ago, duke63 said:

The Tory Party has been infiltrated by right wing **** jockeys 

Yea but right wing disk jockeys do a lot of good work for charidee mate .

90s sketch show references aside I thought no one bothered with right wing TV and radio media so I think you probably overestimate their influence, even amongst true believers

Edited by Barbe bleu

7 hours ago, duke63 said:

The Tory Party has been infiltrated by right wing **** jockeys so its no wonder they want the easily manipulated Truss in charge  

Another example of kinder gentler politics from the left.  As ever, the very epitome of tolerance.  

You can't be kind or gentle to fascists. You have to kick them in the balls and keep kicking until they sod off.

• Like 1

Just now, Herman said:

You can't be kind or gentle to fascists. You have to kick them in the balls and keep kicking until they sod off.

Yep, tolerance was what did for the Weimar Republic with the Na-zis. Karl Pöpper has already shown how this notion of "hypocrisy" in the face of the intolerant is actually flawed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

This is what the likes of Badenoch don't get. There's only a "culture war" if one side chooses, for asinine reasons, to resist and create one in the first place.

That's a very back to front way of looking at it. Progressive politics inherently challenges the status quo and will meet resistance for a lot of things.

The whole trans women in women's sport is a perfect example of how tiny minorities can determinedly, and unpopularly, challenge the status quo, which damages the perception of progressive politics in general; right wing groups do focus on it because it's an argument that plays in their favour, because most people believe that trans women in women's sport is an attack on the rights of cis women, and until there's scientific evidence that there's no legacy advantage from previously being male (and I don't believe there ever will be), that one's never going to sell. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's a very back to front way of looking at it. Progressive politics inherently challenges the status quo and will meet resistance for a lot of things.

The whole trans women in women's sport is a perfect example of how tiny minorities can determinedly, and unpopularly, challenge the status quo, which damages the perception of progressive politics in general; right wing groups do focus on it because it's an argument that plays in their favour, because most people believe that trans women in women's sport is an attack on the rights of cis women, and until there's scientific evidence that there's no legacy advantage from previously being male (and I don't believe there ever will be), that one's never going to sell. 

Then read my quote again, namely "for asinine reasons". I don't think awaiting more scientific evidence here is a bad idea at all and certainly wouldn't count as an asinine reason, but a lot of issues aren't based on potentially needing science to clarify.

Herman: “You can't be kind or gentle to fascists. You have to kick them in the balls and keep kicking until they sod off”

TheGunnShow: “Yep, tolerance was what did for the Weimar Republic with the Na-zis. Karl Pöpper has already shown how this notion of "hypocrisy" in the face of the intolerant is actually flawed.”

Grow up the pair of you.  Your puerile comments in which you basically draw an equivalence between the Conservative Party and the Third Reich is pathetic.  I’d hoped that a slightly more adult level of debate might be possible, but no, you resort to that tired old far-left cliché of claiming that the “fash” are out there and presumably you’re engaged in some sort of ideological purge to cleanse them from the streets.  Utterly infantile.

•  
Edited by Naturalcynic

11 hours ago, duke63 said:

The right of the Conservative party has lost its leverage now Brexit is over. There was an interesting throwaway from Farage that I caught the other day, bemoaning the fact that British politics was returning to 'pre-Brexit politics', and I think he's right. Now Brexit's in the rear view mirror and the economy's struggling, day-to-day, mundane political questions are starting to dominate. 

With regard to the Tory leadership race, neither of the two candidates left are darlings of the right of the party; Labour positioning itself more in the centre ground is forcing them to ease back to the centre. 

43 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Herman: “You can't be kind or gentle to fascists. You have to kick them in the balls and keep kicking until they sod off”

TheGunnShow: “Yep, tolerance was what did for the Weimar Republic with the Na-zis. Karl Pöpper has already shown how this notion of "hypocrisy" in the face of the intolerant is actually flawed.”

Grow up the pair of you.  Your puerile comments in which you basically draw an equivalence between the Conservative Party and the Third Reich is pathetic.  I’d hoped that a slightly more adult level of debate might be possible, but no, you resort to that tired old far-left cliché of claiming that the “fash” are out there and presumably you’re engaged in some sort of ideological purge to cleanse them from the streets.  Utterly infantile.

•  

Speaking of "growing up", it looks very much like you may need to look in the mirror. An adult level of debate is rather difficult if that's your level of comment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Another example of kinder gentler politics from the left.  As ever, the very epitome of tolerance.  

Obviously this forum gets really snarling but I don't think there's anything wrong  with him saying that the Conservative party has been infiltrated by right wing disk jockeys.   It's an odd thing to say, but I dont think its particularly unkind.   Have I missed something?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

•  

"Utterly infantile" is a good description of your response to those comments. Firstly, Herman's comment was obviously intended to be humorous whilst still capturing the serious point that fascistic tendencies must not be tolerated. Secondly, Gunny did not draw an equivalence between the Conservative Party and the Third Reich. He pointed out correctly that the Weimar Republic's tolerance of the intolerant Na-zi Party was a catastrophic mistake, hence his reference to the esteemed work of Karl Popper (try reading him and then come back and describe his work as "puerile"). The current degenerate bunch of Tories has done similar things that are indeed reminiscent of what happened in the '20s and early 30's Germany that made it possible for the subsequent Na-zi nightmare to occur. We have witnessed the illegal proroguing of parliament, the Attorney General undermining trial by jury, the Home Secretary introducing laws to ban noisy protests, Truss promising to stamp down on Unions, the demonising of immigrants, a party determined to foment a culture war, a PM attempting to subvert the disciplinary processes of parliament, etc, etc, etc. Sounds familiar doesn't it?  I don't think for one minute that makes the Tory Party a bunch of Na-zis, and I don't think for one minute that this country would ever let that happen; but then again I suspect I might have said something similar if I had been a German in 1929. Democratic values have been under serious attack around the world (witness Russia and China et al), and it is undeniable that this present corrupt government has seriously undermined the public's confidence in our democratic processes in the UK. Even those of you of a right wing preference on this site have posted comments decrying the loss of traditional one-nation Tories from the constituency parties, and their replacement with the UKIP tendency. The world is becoming an increasingly hostile place and that hostility will be seriously intensified as global warming renders huge parts of the planet uninhabitable. Now is precisely the time to heed the warnings from history and prevent any slide from our democratic values into repressive measures of a fascistic tendency, be that of the extreme right or extreme left. Complacency is no longer an option.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, horsefly said:

"Utterly infantile" is a good description of your response to those comments. Firstly, Herman's comment was obviously intended to be humorous whilst still capturing the serious point that fascistic tendencies must not be tolerated. Secondly, Gunny did not draw an equivalence between the Conservative Party and the Third Reich. He pointed out correctly that the Weimar Republic's tolerance of the intolerant Na-zi Party was a catastrophic mistake, hence his reference to the esteemed work of Karl Popper (try reading him and then come back and describe his work as "puerile"). The current degenerate bunch of Tories has done similar things that are indeed reminiscent of what happened in the '20s and early 30's Germany that made it possible for the subsequent Na-zi nightmare to occur. We have witnessed the illegal proroguing of parliament, the Attorney General undermining trial by jury, the Home Secretary introducing laws to ban noisy protests, Truss promising to stamp down on Unions, the demonising of immigrants, a party determined to foment a culture war, a PM attempting to subvert the disciplinary processes of parliament, etc, etc, etc. Sounds familiar doesn't it?  I don't think for one minute that makes the Tory Party a bunch of Na-zis, and I don't think for one minute that this country would ever let that happen; but then again I suspect I might have said something similar if I had been a German in 1929. Democratic values have been under serious attack around the world (witness Russia and China et al), and it is undeniable that this present corrupt government has seriously undermined the public's confidence in our democratic processes in the UK. Even those of you of a right wing preference on this site have posted comments decrying the loss of traditional one-nation Tories from the constituency parties, and their replacement with the UKIP tendency. The world is becoming an increasingly hostile place and that hostility will be seriously intensified as global warming renders huge parts of the planet uninhabitable. Now is precisely the time to heed the warnings from history and prevent any slide from our democratic values into repressive measures of a fascistic tendency, be that of the extreme right or extreme left. Complacency is no longer an option.

I certainly agree that extremism is dangerous, whether that’s political, religious or any other ideology.  Compounded by easy access to information of dubious balance on the internet, susceptible individuals tend to frequent sites that echo their own prejudices, reinforcing their certainty that they alone are correct, that any other opinion is heresy and not to be tolerated, and that anyone not fully embracing their view is a bigot.  Examples include anti-vaccination conspiracies, divisive identity politics and critical theory, that the Tories are evil fascist sc*m, that people with xy chromosomes and external genitalia really can be women, increasingly disruptive “protests”, the attempts to foment a national strike in the face of a global financial crisis caused by Putin’s invasion and the global pandemic, Twitter storms and social media pile-ons that whip up outrage against individuals who dare to question the approved groupthink, mobs of agitators who invariably turn up to howl abuse at Conservative MPs whenever they make a public appearance, the attempts to overthrow the result of the 2016 referendum, politically motivated barristers using crowdfunding and bringing their profession into disrepute by constantly trying to stifle the workings of government, attempts to block the removal of economic migrants trafficked here illegally, the constant reporting to the police of alleged “hate speech” and non-crime hate incidents (whatever that means), etc etc.  Many of these examples may seem trivial when taken in isolation, but put together they show the inexorable rise of extremist thought, largely coming from the left.  I’d hoped that Starmer might at least be able to steer Labour away from the worst of these self-indulgent excesses, but sadly the Momentum tendency seems too firmly embedded in the chattering classes and young idealists.  These people seem intent on undermining him and I fear he’ll struggle ever to make the party electable.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I certainly agree that extremism is dangerous, whether that’s political, religious or any other ideology.  Compounded by easy access to information of dubious balance on the internet, susceptible individuals tend to frequent sites that echo their own prejudices, reinforcing their certainty that they alone are correct, that any other opinion is heresy and not to be tolerated, and that anyone not fully embracing their view is a bigot.  Examples include anti-vaccination conspiracies, divisive identity politics and critical theory, that the Tories are evil fascist sc*m, that people with xy chromosomes and external genitalia really can be women, increasingly disruptive “protests”, the attempts to foment a national strike in the face of a global financial crisis caused by Putin’s invasion and the global pandemic, Twitter storms and social media pile-ons that whip up outrage against individuals who dare to question the approved groupthink, mobs of agitators who invariably turn up to howl abuse at Conservative MPs whenever they make a public appearance, the attempts to overthrow the result of the 2016 referendum, politically motivated barristers using crowdfunding and bringing their profession into disrepute by constantly trying to stifle the workings of government, attempts to block the removal of economic migrants trafficked here illegally, the constant reporting to the police of alleged “hate speech” and non-crime hate incidents (whatever that means), etc etc.  Many of these examples may seem trivial when taken in isolation, but put together they show the inexorable rise of extremist thought, largely coming from the left.  I’d hoped that Starmer might at least be able to steer Labour away from the worst of these self-indulgent excesses, but sadly the Momentum tendency seems too firmly embedded in the chattering classes and young idealists.  These people seem intent on undermining him and I fear he’ll struggle ever to make the party electable.

I can only assume that bigoted rant is meant to be a joke.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

I can only assume that bigoted rant is meant to be a joke.

About 90% are talking points from the Mail/GB News, blame shifting, divisive politics that the right are desperately pushing and an approval of taking away rights of protest. If it walks like a duck....

• Like 4

I wouldn't have thought the Momentum set would have too much sway with a fairly Blairite sort in Starmer at the helm, also notwithstanding the fact that Corbyn was chucked out of the Labour party, and he was their talisman.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Trans athletes in sport has been going on for years before the recent attempts to label it 'woke' and make it part of a manufactured culture war.

36 minutes ago, Herman said:

About 90% are talking points from the Mail/GB News, blame shifting, divisive politics that the right are desperately pushing and an approval of taking away rights of protest. If it walks like a duck....

As someone who tends to look for the good in people first (it's an automatic thing), it's always a disappointment when you gradually learn of the truer colours emerging... and you then realise you're far too idealistic or optimistic about the world. Maybe it's the Candide principle (if you've ever read Voltaire's very short book)?

Then I read comments about "young idealists". Shouldn't they be? And as a comparatively older idealist? Am I worse in his view because "I've learned nothing"?

I find it odd that someone should be so angry about people of the left of politics. What is there to be angry about? Those wanting a fairer world? A better spread of wealth? And just what is wrong with actually pointing out the huge vested interests in our society? You don't need to look far or even that deeply to see where the money is and where power lies.

So...in summary I'm suspicious - maybe wary is a better word - of any posts that pour scorn to such a challenging of the status quo. Sometimes folk reveal themselves over time, sometimes quickly. Anger ought to be placed where it is needed - to challenge injustice in society (it is everywhere) and not on those who seek to expose it.

I don't read about literature or social media from far right sources because it would probably depress or disillusion me if I did. Same with the Express and Mail...they are simply organs that want people to believe in the negative side of human nature, ultimately they use their outlets to maintain a gap between the haves and have nots. No wonder they are Brexity papers and no wonder they hate the "leftists and Marxists". Just look at the ownership. 

Jeez, the world is full of great things and further, you can find it and even create it yourself - every bloody day of you want to!

Edited by sonyc
Typos
  • Like 3

If you want a good example of just what a parlous state the Tory Party is in take a look at the "go to" politicians the (respectable) major news organisations have to resort to in order to find comment from the traditional one-nation voice of Conservatism. Dominic Grieve, Rory Stewart, Ken Clarke, etc.  All of them lost the whip under Johnson for their failure to acquiesce to his lurch to a populist right-wing agenda, forcing them to resign or face deselection from their UKIP dominated constituencies. Who now among sitting Tories represents that traditional conservative viewpoint? Johnson's legacy for the Conservative Party is a pathetic parody of Trump's own legacy for the Republican Party. Its membership has become infiltrated by right-wing extremists at the expense of moderates, with the result that its political representatives are dominated by those whose agenda is to fuel those prejudices rather than moderate them for the good of the country. Once ejected from power the Tory Party will very likely find itself in a similar position to the Labour Party in 1979. Dominated by extremists it will take a prolonged and bitter struggle to find its soul and once again become a serious contender for the trust of the nation.

12 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Obviously this forum gets really snarling but I don't think there's anything wrong  with him saying that the Conservative party has been infiltrated by right wing disk jockeys.   It's an odd thing to say, but I dont think its particularly unkind.   Have I missed something?

There was this article I saw yesterday from the ex-conservative (was chucked out by Johnson) Rory Stewart along with all the other moderate conservatives.

I think the points he makes are unarguable - the so called Tory party has indeed lurched to the right becoming (and he should know) simply a populist party promoting right wing simple solutions to complex issues.

The fact that they then berate all and anybody who disagrees - enemies of the people, culture wars and yes many seeming to lack ethical standards of public behavior and service too - and yes I think we can then draw comparisons with the state of this party and the rise of populist regimes unhinged from any factual reality across the world. A similar reactionary party in the USA all but created a coup recently!

The truth is that for many Tories - winning was more important than the truth or honesty. That is Johnson's legacy. A race to the bottom.

Sadly far too many so called Tories are still far to fully imbibed with the populist drug to recover their wits and call a spade a spade. Even Sunak with his 'lefty lawyers' jibe (the law society if I recall had to say recently that the lawyers where only doing the job they were supposed to do - defending their clients - I dare say if we find a ruse to deport Sunak he'll expect same lawyers to defend him?).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/tory-partys-lurch-to-right-painful-to-watch-says-rory-stewart

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

And so the inevitable social media pile-on ensues.

If you spout a load of divisive extreme right-wing populist tosh, you should expect others to point that out. Why not try responding to the actual points made in response rather than trying to write off those points with ill-disguised diversionary (indeed "snowflake") wailing about the unfairness of social media.

13 minutes ago, horsefly said:

If you spout a load of divisive extreme right-wing populist tosh, you should expect others to point that out. Why not try responding to the actual points made in response rather than trying to write off those points with ill-disguised diversionary (indeed "snowflake") wailing about the unfairness of social media.

Sadly your sanctimonious claims that traditional values and plain common sense are somehow extremist are the modus operandi of the intolerant left.

Edited by Naturalcynic

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Sadly your sanctimonious claims that traditional values and plain common sense are somehow extremist are the modus operandi of the intolerant left.

Not a single word of argument in support of your claims then! So let's take a look at your list:

Examples include anti-vaccination conspiracies, divisive identity politics and critical theory, that the Tories are evil fascist sc*m, that people with xy chromosomes and external genitalia really can be women, increasingly disruptive “protests”, the attempts to foment a national strike in the face of a global financial crisis caused by Putin’s invasion and the global pandemic, Twitter storms and social media pile-ons that whip up outrage against individuals who dare to question the approved groupthink, mobs of agitators who invariably turn up to howl abuse at Conservative MPs whenever they make a public appearance, the attempts to overthrow the result of the 2016 referendum, politically motivated barristers using crowdfunding and bringing their profession into disrepute by constantly trying to stifle the workings of government, attempts to block the removal of economic migrants trafficked here illegally, the constant reporting to the police of alleged “hate speech” and non-crime hate incidents (whatever that means), etc etc.

• anti-vaccination conspiracies. Mostly far right-wing individuals.
  • divisive identity politics. No explanation of who you include in that and what is supposed to be wrong with people who regard an important part of their life as being determined by aspects of their identity. Isn't it people like you who constantly harp on about patriotism and identifying with British values? Please explain the difference.
  • critical theory. Feel free to explain what you think "critical theory" is and what you claim is wrong about it. I suspect you mean "critical race theory" and your conflation of the two displays that you probably know nothing about either.
  • Tories are evil fascist sc*m. Not all of them
  • people with xy chromosomes and external genitalia really can be women. So you are publicly admitting you don't understand the very clear and obvious distinction between the biological concept of "sex", and the socially constructed concept of "gender". 
  • increasingly disruptive “protests”, the attempts to foment a national strike in the face of a global financial crisis caused by Putin’s invasion and the global pandemic. So you deny that the right to protest is absolutely fundamental to ANY democratic political system. The whole point of a protest is to be disruptive, and every major socially progressive development in our culture's history has depended on people prepared to risk the unwanted need to protest for change. It is the job of government and those in positions of power (employers etc) to dissipate the desire or need for industrial action. Alas 12 years of Tory misrule has lead to us being massively lacking in the resources needed to negotiate the current crisis. This is not the fault of workers desperate to find a way to survive the coming storm.
  • the attempts to overthrow the result of the 2016 referendum, The referendum was an advisory referendum NOT binding. It was perfectly right for people to call for a second referendum, particular now that we know with certainty that the entire leave campaign was deliberately infused with outright lies and misinformation.
  • politically motivated barristers using crowdfunding and bringing their profession into disrepute by constantly trying to stifle the workings of government, attempts to block the removal of economic migrants trafficked here illegally. So you actually object to barristers (their political views are irrelevant) doing their job and applying the laws of the land? Wow! If the government loses such cases it shows the government is acting against the law. Sadly, it seems that for people like you the laws of the land should be used as an arm of government rather than  a check on the misuse of its powers. That was the whole point of the Magna Carta, something I would have thought your type would revere (and to think you previously objected to the use of "fascism" by other posters).
  • the constant reporting to the police of alleged “hate speech” and non-crime hate incidents So when my black partner (a frontline NHS health worker btw) was called a "filthy N...." and was physically threatened, she shouldn't have reported that to the Police. I'll let her know your advice. 

14 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

They left UKIP to join the Tory party so they could get Johnson into power and thus as hard a Brexit as they possibly could.

They are still Tory party members which is why Truss, who has so little common sense its scary, is likely to get in.

We are heading down a route of inflation wildy out of control, very low productivity and a danger of being isolated in many major markets, yet still all we hear is tax cuts, tax cuts tax cuts. Its the last thing this Country needs right now and to make any noticeable difference to the coming winter's fuel bills for all, they would need to cut income tax by at least 5% which would cause a run on the pound like never seen before.

Edited by duke63