A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

10 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Soooo 

Mordaunt or Tugendhat the best of a bad bunch for me. Not that I'm able to influence it any way.

Would go with that actually. At least both are serious people. Don't have to agree with their views but the bar has been set low. A Truss PM would be amusing tbh but the time for amusement surely has to be over. Massive challenges ahead (in part caused by the sheer mismanagement of the last 12 years). 

• Like 2

My prediction at this point is that Sunak will be well out in front with Mordaunt or Truss in second after the MPs stage is complete. I then expect the second place candidate to dish Rishi when the membership get a vote. My money is now on the hilarious prospect of a Truss premiership. Starmer will have his fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, bringbackchippy said:

As long as its not Sunak, Badenoch or Zahawi, Liz Truss for me

What about Bravermann? 🤔

Apparently Nutty Nadine is crying foul play. I understand she has tweeted about the dirtiest of dirty tricks going on. Sunak has leant Hunt some of his supporters just to get him into the first ballot.

Calm down dear. You ain't getting a job with any of them.

Badenoch is clearly the most noteworthy of the runners in that she displays a combination of intelligence, humour, charm and robustness. She would hold much of the red wall and might even expand the party's appeal.

21 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Badenoch is clearly the most noteworthy of the runners in that she displays a combination of intelligence, humour, charm and robustness. She would hold much of the red wall and might even expand the party's appeal.

Thanks for that Kemi. I didn't know you were a City fan too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/07/2022 at 07:17, benchwarmer said:

Javid is standing after all, and has made a veiled criticism of Sunak's NI rise.  But I suspect it's all part of the Sunak-Javid pact, to make it look as though there isn't a pact; some of the Tory faithful would find it difficult to accept two non-white-British men at the top of government, regardless of their suitability in other respects.  My money's still on Sunak for PM, Javid for Chancellor.

Javid has pulled out now.  It's all going according to plan.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

image.jpeg.ae82aaee8056fb4de4a578a96bc23f94.jpeg

Kemi dark horse? Heard her speak earlier and she cames across as a bit smug.

I'm quite taken by the fact that 47% of the first round support is for ethnic minorities and 62% of the support is for women, with three of the top four candidates being women, three being ethnic minorities. The most popular white male candidate is on 7.2%, which is only just over a third of the support of the front runner. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Rishi will be favourite so in keeping with earlier results he won't win.

Step forward P.M. Penny Mordaunt.

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

image.jpeg.ae82aaee8056fb4de4a578a96bc23f94.jpeg

Kemi dark horse? Heard her speak earlier and she cames across as a bit smug.

She’s a populist talking head, trotting out Tory tripe.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

She’s a populist talking head, trotting out Tory tripe.

Aye, she was the one that stood up for that disgraceful race report last year. She's also quite happy to stir up culture war nonsense. Not a pleasant person.

Just saw this to add.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, horsefly said:

No one better than Stewart Lee in the world of comedy. But for the most brilliant analysis of Boris Johnson's dreadful reign and resignation it doesn't get better than Jonathan Pie:

Wait, he's out but he's not out-out? This is like his Covid instructions... go out, but not out-out.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Aye, she was the one that stood up for that disgraceful race report last year. She's also quite happy to stir up culture war nonsense. Not a pleasant person.

Just saw this to add.

Perhaps she understands race issues better than you do. You sound misogynistic.

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Yes, a black woman should know more about it than me, that is true. So rather strange that she was as clueless as she was. I suppose hanging around with tories has rotted her so much that she would parrot any old horse****.

I can't quite see what is misogynistic in my post but I am happy to apologise to anyone that is upset by it. There are some sensitive people around nowadays.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Haha! But then I suppose you are the expert on misogyny. Years of practice makes "perfect".

10 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm quite taken by the fact that 47% of the first round support is for ethnic minorities and 62% of the support is for women, with three of the top four candidates being women, three being ethnic minorities. The most popular white male candidate is on 7.2%, which is only just over a third of the support of the front runner. 

I noticed that too. 👍 in terms of gender and ethnicity.

There are other aspects too. 6/8 were privately educated. I think I've read that all 8 are millionaires, all went to university (5 of them to Oxford or Cambridge - difficult to get in for some) and in terms of the union (UK) no Scots or Welsh (or N Irish) in the list of 8. 

Not sure overall that they are particularly representative of most of us. It raises the important question of class in our society. Of course, I'm saying that if I'm being totally honest as a son of working class parents.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

There are other aspects too. 6/8 were privately educated. I think I've read that all 8 are millionaires, all went to university (5 of them to Oxford or Cambridge - difficult to get in for some) and in terms of the union (UK) no Scots or Welsh (or N Irish) in the list of 8. 

Not sure overall that they are particularly representative of most of us. It raises the important question of class in our society. Of course, I'm saying that if I'm being totally honest as a son of working class parents.

Rishi says he wants to rule like Margaret Thatcher, and Truss thinks she is Margaret Thatcher. So we can safely assume that "levelling up" is no longer a priority. Maybe they will just level the North.

• Like 1

I would like to know what Truss's IQ is, she has always struck me as having a similar intellect to Dorris.

10 hours ago, Herman said:

Just saw this to add.

Good to see one of the front runners is concentrating on the key issues that matter to the country. Not. A great illustration of how this race is about “I’m more Conservative than you” rather than “this is how I would deliver what the country needs at a time of international crisis, impending global climate meltdown and financial hardship”. With honourable mention to Tom Tugendhat who is a little more anchored in reality than any of the others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Lots of Oxbridge alumni telling the country what to think. The Tories have shrunk to an English Nationalist Party that gets its ideology from the right wing media (Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph, GBNews & TalkTV). A bunch of mediocre hacks who have to cover for this by talking about the amount of talent on offer when any fool can see this is not the case. No dog in this fight, same as 99% of the population.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Good to see one of the front runners is concentrating on the key issues that matter to the country. Not. A great illustration of how this race is about “I’m more Conservative than you” rather than “this is how I would deliver what the country needs at a time of international crisis, impending global climate meltdown and financial hardship”. With honourable mention to Tom Tugendhat who is a little more anchored in reality than any of the others.

Yep, someone who's probably going to complain about culture wars without realising they're actually part of the problem.

Found this epic. Means-testing welfare sounds like raw meat to the populists, but I wonder what kind of measures she has in mind to stop the crony capitalism that enabled a fair few Tory mates to do rather well out of the pandemic?

Kemi Badenoch says she'd means test Winter Fuel Payments with swipe at Rishi Sunak in Tory leadership contest (inews.co.uk)

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, someone who's probably going to complain about culture wars without realising they're actually part of the problem.

Found this epic. Means-testing welfare sounds like raw meat to the populists, but I wonder what kind of measures she has in mind to stop the crony capitalism that enabled a fair few Tory mates to do rather well out of the pandemic?

Kemi Badenoch says she'd means test Winter Fuel Payments with swipe at Rishi Sunak in Tory leadership contest (inews.co.uk)

She wants a smaller government but at the same time would make schemes like the winter fuel payments to pensioners more complicated? Like most of the candidates have exhibited, it is Sunak’s fairytale thinking.

Plus people over sixty are the Tories’ main constituency. Seems a strange way to consolidate their support.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

She wants a smaller government but at the same time would make schemes like the winter fuel payments to pensioners more complicated? Like most of the candidates have exhibited, it is Sunak’s fairytale thinking.

Plus people over sixty are the Tories’ main constituency. Seems a strange way to consolidate their support.

Indeed! It has been proven time and time again that means testing benefits like this has two main consequences: first, it costs more to administrate (more than would be saved), second, those most in need often don't apply for them because of the complicated procedures involved and/or stigma. Bad-Enoch (Oh the irony!) says she has numerous constituents saying they don't need or want this benefit; fine, all she need do is create a simple one-tick-box opt out system so they never receive the money (no expensive bureaucratic means testing required).

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! It has been proven time and time again that means testing benefits like this has two main consequences: first, it costs more to administrate (more than would be saved), second, those most in need often don't apply for them because of the complicated procedures involved and/or stigma. Bad-Enoch (Oh the irony!) says she has numerous constituents saying they don't need or want this benefit; fine, all she need do is create a simple one-tick-box opt out system so they never receive the money (no expensive bureaucratic means testing required).

You could take it back in the tax system somehow, which would allow wealthier pensioners to be targeted, but that means raising taxes! (Clutches handbag)

Zahawi says that he would offer Johnson a cabinet position if he wants one. So, the man very much a player responsible for ousting Johnson because of his record for lying and degenerate government, says he would be fit to be re-employed in a cabinet position.  Bye-bye Nadhim!