A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Now I am no fan of the Conservative Party, in case you cannot tell, but what has happened to them? It's incredible that tonight they will rebel in large numbers against quite reasonable health & safety measures in a pandemic, in what is clearly a virtue signalling exercise because they know they will lose. At the same time they will happily vote to crack down on protest, reduce Human Rights, and in favour of expulsion of UK citizens. All of this ahead of a bye-election and while their poll ratings are tanking. Madness.

I think what has happened to them is that they've always had an extremely nasty faction within them that has been greatly strengthened by their corrupt, incompetent and entirely self-centred leader. Both they and their leader have absolutely no interest in doing the right thing for the country and are focussed entirely on maintaining themselves in power - so in most cases they and their leader are aligned but it seems to me on this occasion that the RWNJ MPs are interested purely in keeping their knuckle dragging constituents on board whereas even a PM as stupid as Johnson realises on this issue as PM he has to appease a much wider group.

I think you are harking back to a Conservative Party that although it contained the nasty element had a bigger element of 'sensible' one nation Tories who at least genuinely believed that they were acting in the national interest and certainly in adhering to a certain standard of public service and conducting parliamentary business constitutionally. Might not have agreed with them but at least they weren't completely self-serving shysters (for the most part).

But those MPs have all but disappeared so that Conservative Party no longer exists and bad though their poll numbers are now for the 'new' Tory Party it seems their base support still there - the strategy seems pretty Trump-like - to doubledown on the nasty and divisive policies in the hope of retaining that base and that the dysfunctional electoral system will give them a victory anyway.

It didn't work for Trump, so let's hope it doesn't work for these b@stards.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RobJames said:

A bit too late. This speaker has been the most gutless speaker in a long, long time.  He leaves the chamber walking backward. Genuflecting to the Tory side of the house.

Very true - if this behaviour is not 'acceptable', which it clearly isn't, what is he going to do about it?????

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Yaaayyy!!!, here, here!!

The quality of this government......

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think what has happened to them is that they've always had an extremely nasty faction within them that has been greatly strengthened by their corrupt, incompetent and entirely self-centred leader. Both they and their leader have absolutely no interest in doing the right thing for the country and are focussed entirely on maintaining themselves in power - so in most cases they and their leader are aligned but it seems to me on this occasion that the RWNJ MPs are interested purely in keeping their knuckle dragging constituents on board whereas even a PM as stupid as Johnson realises on this issue as PM he has to appease a much wider group.

I think you are harking back to a Conservative Party that although it contained the nasty element had a bigger element of 'sensible' one nation Tories who at least genuinely believed that they were acting in the national interest and certainly in adhering to a certain standard of public service and conducting parliamentary business constitutionally. Might not have agreed with them but at least they weren't completely self-serving shysters (for the most part).

But those MPs have all but disappeared so that Conservative Party no longer exists and bad though their poll numbers are now for the 'new' Tory Party it seems their base support still there - the strategy seems pretty Trump-like - to doubledown on the nasty and divisive policies in the hope of retaining that base and that the dysfunctional electoral system will give them a victory anyway.

As someone who basically moved from the Tories to the LibDems or - anyone who can unseat them - the difference appears largely to be this: even back in Thatcher's days the Tories were fairly business-friendly even down to your average grocer/butcher (although there is definitely a cogent argument in that their brand of untrammelled capitalism empowered supermarkets and such to overpower them) and understood that small business was a backbone to local communities. This branch under Johnson are merely the party of financial shysters who are in it for what they get.

I think Thatcher got a heck of a lot wrong in hindsight, but I'd say she was the last PM with a vision of sorts for how she wanted society to be. Since then, we really have had managers or worse still, those who just wanted to be in power with no thought beyond.

Thatcher was a product of her time. The monetarism she espoused, began under Labour. Much of the time her views were in contrast to what was happening. Small business v big supermarkets. And what happened in the UK. Happened in the rest of Europe. Under different regimes. Johnson will be gone. As will his third rate cabinet.  They are out of step with business. Much as Trump was.

33 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The quality of this government......

Well done  Smug, you had a classical education at Eton and Oxford. Makes you fit for what? Debating societies? Does the House think?

I know, lying and avoidance.

The Boris timeline, compiled by the Daily Mash. 🇬🇧🤣

Two years into the Johnson administration: how it's going even f**king worse than you thought it would.

TWO years ago, Boris Johnson was elected with an 80-seat majority. You thought it would go badly but not this f**king badly. Here’s a timeline: 

13th December 2019: Johnson elected. Corbyn revels in well-earned moral victory.

24th December 2019: Johnson reaches suspiciously-timed deal with EU, of which 80 per cent is placeholder text to be sorted out later.

30th December 2019: Conservatives vote through brilliant Brexit deal, complete with Northern Ireland protocol which they will all describe ‘completely unworkable’ within 18 months.

1st-28th February 2020: Pathetic loser scientists types keep bothering the triumphant king while he’s enjoying a well-earned break.

1st March 2020: The king notices what’s going on. Resolves to take no personal precautions and act too late in all cases, and sticks to those resolutions.

23rd March 2020: National lockdown begins.

27th March 2020: Prime minister and health secretary get Covid, just the very people who shouldn’t. Dominic Cummings coincidentally pisses off to Durham.

23rd May 2020: After two months of full lockdown, the UK discovers Dominic Cummings didn’t bother with it because he’s special. The government gives him its full backing despite public outrage because it could not possibly do without him.

28th May 2020: Test and Trace begins burning your f**king money.

19th July 2020: Johnson promises everything will be back to normal by Christmas and there will be no further lockdowns, the lying ****.

17th August 2020: An algorithm gives middle-class kids **** A-levels. Immediate U-turn because it can’t be possible that they’re thick.

13th November 2020: Dominic Cummings, the man who everyone stopped obeying lockdown because of, fired. So that was worth it.

20th November 2020: Priti Patel found to be nasty bully. Johnson agrees that’s her best quality. Standards commissioner resigns.

8th December 2020: Vaccination begins. This will solve everything and there will be no more lockdowns.

18th December 2020: Downing Street holds a lovely big Christmas party for all its hard-working staff.

19th December 2020: Christmas cancelled for the rest of us.

5th January 2021: Second lockdown announced. Lasts for 10,361 million subjective years.

27th June 2021: Matt Hancock caught breaking social distancing rules really hard. Is not going to resign. Resigns.

19th July 2021: Johnson gets Covid again. Announces rules don’t apply to him. U-turns again.

3rd November 2021: Decides to completely abolish all standards in public life because they’re inconvenient to him. Everyone hates this. U-turns again.

30th November 2021: Christmas party exposed. Government commences lying.

7th December 2021: Video of Tories laughing in your f**king face about party released. Johnson furious about it. The video. Not the party.

13th December 2021: Two-year anniversary. Country thinks Boris should resign. Tories think Boris should resign. Ant and Dec think Boris should resign. He’s pinning all his hopes on being the man who saved Christmas.

Next week: Christmas cancelled. Obviously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

That is quite some list @Mr Apples and strangely last night Mrs S and I were going through a list of things happening under Johnson's amazing reign. 'Amazing' because of the sheer sh*tshow it has been, ...almost it appears that as soon as he became leader there has been turn after turn of events. I cannot think of a worse 'run of results' in any administration in the recent past. 

You could add (or flesh out those points a bit more):

* the attempt at proroguing of parliament and the rebuke by Baroness Hale (with her spider brooch)

* The backing of Patel for her alleged bullying behaviour after the resignation of the top civil servant (Ruttnam) and breaking of the ministerial code

* The Owen Patterson affair

* Jenifer Accuri allegations - we watch this space

* The obscurity of contracts during Covid and the famous 'fast lane' and private Whatsapp group shenanigans

* Free school meals backtrack (Rashfords pressure)

* Bereavement scheme originally denied to foreign nationals NHS staff but MP Gale intervened and put pressure on another U Turn

* Backtrack on Hwawei

* The A Level results fiasco (yep, another U Turn)

* Attempts to avoid self isolation. Scuppered after pressure and obfuscation attempts 

* His levelling up big platform policy unravelling right now - in fact poor people are poorer (£115 to £200 pa) and rich are richer (£3000 a year approx). 

* Talking about freedom at every opportunity (and his pathetic cabinet) and the rights of people not to wear masks etc...whilst bringing in laws to limit personal protest, bringing in voter ID to rig elections and taking away citizenship. Different rules apy to the concept of freedom obviously.

* Constant allegations of rule breaking in the pandemic as well as obscurity of party and personal donations

* Highly inconsistent and confusing messaging throughout the pandemic with delays when urgency was needed and inadequate forward planning when  the future political environment needed scanning thoroughly.

* Transport in the north, HS2 etc...betrayal of promises

Finally, best not get me started on the great big lie that was austerity... lots of people lost out in the years of public sector cutbacks  (I and hundreds of work colleagues lost our jobs directly as a result)...it's clear that instead of there not being a magic money tree that after all there is one, a massive one under Johnson. You can simply borrow massively and put taxes up by their highest ever...yet still tell the electorate to trust you with the economy because as a a Tory, that's what you do. 

I won't bother with the lies involved in Brexit as there's a whole thread on it. 

We have been living through a terrible administration during the biggest health crisis in the last 100 years. A version of hell and for many, the ramifications and after shocks will last a long time. All because a little boy of a man wanted to play 'world king' and his playmates have let him.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

I still think my idea of a filled dog-doo bin is the most viable option for leader.

If its endorsed by the Tory party and wrapped in a flag some people would still vote for it. 🤦‍♂️🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

It could be added
 During a 2017 select committee hearing the then-foreign secretary erroneously said Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe – still detained in Iran – was training journalists in the region.

Broke Commons rule by failing to declare a financial interest in a property within the mandated time limit. Only did so when prompted

Said money spent on the investigation historic child abuse had been spaffed up the wall.

Libya, they have got a brilliant vision to turn Sirte into the next Dubai. The only thing they have got to do is clear the dead bodies away.

Talking about whisky exports to India in a Sikh temple

Likened France to **** Germany by claiming that it was enforcing  punishment beatings on the UK

Insensitively reciting a song in Burmese temple

and to show just what he is about, claimed his favourite bike (bikey) was stolen - shortly after Sadiq Khan had become London Mayor. However, 'However, the claim appeared to unravel when an article emerged from 2014, in which Mr Johnson described how “Bikey” had been written off after a crash. The bike's frame had snapped after he rode it into a pothole concealed by a puddle during a storm, he said.'   But as long as there are people like Ricardo willing to defend him then he will continue to lie, cheat and misrepresent.

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

To be far there has always been a really nasty element, I agree, but this mainly existed outside the Conservative Party. It had a home in the National Front, BNP, UKIP and Brexit Party. In common with the opposite side of the far left it combined fundamental incompetance with being a minority influence. But then the self proclaimed Spartans and older Conservatives entered into a Faustian Pact with the Right over Brexit and Johnson used this as a springboard to the top job, expelling all the mainstream Tories from the Parliamentary Party, sucking in new members from UKIP et al. But a leopard can't change its spots and the Brexiteers and their ex-UKIP outriders are still incompetant, still have no plan and in political terms are not popular. Hence chaos ensues, I am not convinced the Conservative Party even exists anymore or has the talent to pull this round. It could get very desparate and nasty indeed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I still think my idea of a filled dog-doo bin is the most viable option for leader.

How about Swayne? Bridgen? Grayling? Baker? Francois? Fabricant?

Freedom lovers all ... looking at contributions in tonight's debate.

Surely, you'd not rule out these commited back benchers from a shot at the top job. Couldn't do any worse?

Joking aside, they COULDN'T do any worse. 

I think they'd give it a very good try to do worse. The only one I think is probably capable is Baker, but he is such a sinister, nasty bag of ****e that he'd deliberately burn the country down.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think they'd give it a very good try to do worse. The only one I think is probably capable is Baker, but he is such a sinister, nasty bag of ****e that he'd deliberately burn the country down.

I did worry that my attempt at sarcasm (satire?) was not so well coded! 😄

But I happen to agree that Baker is the best of that bunch (if that term is not an over-statement). You may have seen that old Mark-ne-Francois-pas Twitter account? He would praise Baker for his hardman style, his karate chops and strength at arm wrestling.

Imagine he is a right joy at the home of Baker.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I did worry that my attempt at sarcasm (satire?) was not so well coded! 😄

But I happen to agree that Baker is the best of that bunch (if that term is not an over-statement). You may have seen that old Mark-ne-Francois-pas Twitter account? He would praise Baker for his hardman style, his karate chops and strength at arm wrestling.

Imagine he is a right joy at the home of Baker.

I found out today that he is also a hardcore, born-again Bible basher. The human qualities are never ending with old Baker.

The South Park episode “Douche and Turd” sums up voting well….. No matter who there is available to vote for, they’re just as bad as each other, or “Every vote is between a giant douche and a turd sandwich”.

The Puff Daddy “cameo” in that episode always cracks me up also.

Progressive alliance needed but a chat with the Scots necessary to get them on board.

As soon as I saw him zip lining while holding two flags in his hands, I knew from the start how much of a clown he is, but this is one of the reasons he got supporters in the first place, as he’s a “loveable buffoon”.

We’re stuck with him until his own party oust him. YouGov polls are not always accurate, even my Tory supporting family are making excuses for him.

On 13/12/2021 at 23:29, Well b back said:

Boris Johnson’s sperm is officially more transmissible than Ormicron.

Did your wife tell you that?

22 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

The South Park episode “Douche and Turd” sums up voting well….. No matter who there is available to vote for, they’re just as bad as each other, or “Every vote is between a giant douche and a turd sandwich”.

The Puff Daddy “cameo” in that episode always cracks me up also.

That you use cartoons for your political education tells me all I need to know.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

That you use cartoons for your political education tells me all I need to know.

Edited by KernowCanary