A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - Under the bus.

It's weird this bus obsession of Johnson....

We hear he paints and cuts out cardboard buses as a hobby, he stands in front of the famous one telling us all about the £350m a week that will benefit the NHS and now he appears to have thrown  people under one (his Downing St staff).

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

£2.6M wasted on a press room. Which was never used. Nor will be.

We just didn't realise it was meant as a stage for stand up comedy for enterprising Tory shysters

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, horsefly said:

If I was Starmer I think I would refer to the Tory Party as the Christmas Party every time I had a speech to make. 

...just for a little while....say, during the festive season at least. Perhaps for the twelve days of Christmas ....until twelfth night.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It's weird this bus obsession of Johnson....

We hear he paints and cuts out cardboard buses as a hobby, he stands in front of the famous one telling us all about the £350m a week that will benefit the NHS and now he appears to have thrown  people under one (his Downing St staff).

Maybe his first knee trembler was on the back of the Clapham Omnibus.🤢😀

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Stratton's boyfriend has been arrested for having an offensive person on his weapon

When Allegra Stratton married James Forsyth, political Editor of the Spectator - the best man was Rishi Sunak. The lines between our journalists - expecially those at the Spectator and Sun - and our politicians have never been more blurry. And that is a very big problem.
  • Like 3

Opposition accused of politicking but Boris says he is carrying on with the real work of Government.

So we are really going to scare the siht out of China by also not sending any diplomats to the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics.

Tough on Human Rights Abusers or what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

AV is not proprtional representation.

First step would be to adopt subsidiarity and full devolution. The use an actual PR system to elect representatives at the appropriate levels. D'Hondt would be effective.

I know it's not PR, it just comes closer to assuring a fairly acceptable candidate to a majority of voters whilst maintaining the, admittedly meagre, advantages of first past the post.

D'hondt is also may favoured distribution system, however as a rule I'm not a massive fan of such drastic proportionality for selecting a government. I live in a country which has managed to fail to form one for nearly four years in a decade due to its use of PR plus extensive federalism.

My actual preferred change would be a shift to an AV system for election of the commons, then a lords as a proportionally elected chamber with genuine power to completely reject bills. The exception would be supply and confidence, which would be the sole perogative of the commons.

I'm sure there's a flaw in that idea, but as far as I can see it would allow stable government with far more extensive democratic representation than is currently in place.

I actually have zero sympathy for Stratton. If you lay down with dogs you may catch fleas or in her case worse.

That said she is totally incompetent at her job. In her role she should of always been guarded as to her comments let alone when cameras are present. Overpaid amateur that wouldn't even of got the time of day in a PLC press office. I can only surmise that she as per the rest of No. 10 from the top down didn't think the rules applied to her.

Edited by Yellow Fever

9 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:
When Allegra Stratton married James Forsyth, political Editor of the Spectator - the best man was Rishi Sunak. The lines between our journalists - expecially those at the Spectator and Sun - and our politicians have never been more blurry. And that is a very big problem.

Why The S*n isn't reporting on it?! Incestuous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Slack

We are now in the midst of what must be the worst excesses of any government in recent memory. Yet what will be the result. A few tut tuts. Tomorrow will show you where the real problems lie. Having a second chamber that could reject bills, would pretty much enfeeble the lower house. It would mean an election every month or so. Having PR would simply place the power in the hands of a few party leaders. That's the reality. Advocates would do well to read up on what happens elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

In this case then it's one that is literally "open and shut"🙂

Easiest ever investigation.

• Haha 1

some solid swerving from Boris there 😆 it's a free for all now. Genuinely feel sorry for the police and landlords etc that have to police this crap now

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

I know it's not PR, it just comes closer to assuring a fairly acceptable candidate to a majority of voters whilst maintaining the, admittedly meagre, advantages of first past the post.

D'hondt is also may favoured distribution system, however as a rule I'm not a massive fan of such drastic proportionality for selecting a government. I live in a country which has managed to fail to form one for nearly four years in a decade due to its use of PR plus extensive federalism.

My actual preferred change would be a shift to an AV system for election of the commons, then a lords as a proportionally elected chamber with genuine power to completely reject bills. The exception would be supply and confidence, which would be the sole perogative of the commons.

I'm sure there's a flaw in that idea, but as far as I can see it would allow stable government with far more extensive democratic representation than is currently in place.

AV is a fair improvement on FPTP, but is still vulnerable to gerrymandering.

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

AV is a fair improvement on FPTP, but is still vulnerable to gerrymandering.

That's very true. I'm not sure how much gerrymandering has been a serious issue in recent UK political history outside of NI.