A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Thanks @sonyc I've missed puer aeternus so have tried to educate myself its meaning. Will read more later on but it's pretty much spot on. You're never too old to learn. 👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sonyc said:

Good point, certainly one worth considering. Perhaps more a principle for my posts though! (Tend to type on my mobile and  I'm more 'tabloid' on a laptop🙂). 

I'm unsure. I believe he picks up experiences in his everyday life and weaves these into a political narrative. Thus, it's more artistic really than analytical thought. He is famously poor on the detail but knows enough to fly by the seat of his pants. He is able to exude enough confidence and bluster to convince his pale and grey Tory colleagues (sychophants). Yet now the cloak is fraying and Johnson is literally falling apart in front of us.

I think his days look numbered. Wrong person for our times. It's not all Johnson either...plenty of other tricksters about.

It will change. I now am starting to believe we (observers, voters) almost (I stress that word) needed this sh1tshow so we begin to compose our ideas about what kind of government we really need.

Something awful often sharpens the mind. And to come back to your first words (and subverting them for poetic effect) in this case the sharpening is with a razor!

Psychologically, as I've posted before, we are watching a Puer Aeternus run the country (if you know this type) and he is about to fall to the ground. I reckon Accuri might be the unexpected source. Who knows.

Surely with a modicum of Bacchus in the mix as well Sonyc?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sonyc said:

Psychologically, as I've posted before, we are watching a Puer Aeternus run the country (if you know this type) and he is about to fall to the ground. I reckon Accuri might be the unexpected source. Who knows.

Your pertinent analysis is backed up by the fact that the comments of Johnson's housemaster at Eton, Martin Hammond, are as relevant to his current behaviour as they were to his schoolboy arrogance:

"Writing of him in a school report in April 1982, he said: “Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies . . . Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the School for next half): I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/letter-to-boris-johnsons-dad-from-eton-college-resurfaces-online-and-it-explains-a-lot-126486/

• Like 1

Unfortunately this just about sums up the current government and how sleaze and thinking that they are above the law is rampant. You would have thought they would have learnt from the Paterson fiasco, let’s hope the police are allowed to do their job, although I guess Priti will be telling the Met they have better things to deal with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59386059

Something sinister and creepy about this photo. Very German, if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Something sinister and creepy about this photo. Very German, if you know what I mean.

Is there a Munsters World?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

StasiWelt.🥴

I must admit when I first saw the photo I thought, "Sparks weren't as pretty as I remember them to be"

• Haha 1

Another shambolic own goal from the Govt. They are moving HMRC tax officials to a new HQ owned offshore. Businesses use offshore structures like this to dodge taxes. And to top it off, the owner that will benefit & receive public money is a Tory donor! You could not make it up.
Quote Tweet

EcBjYl5z_mini.jpg

Guardian news

@guardiannews
· 3h
HMRC to relocate to Newcastle office owned by Tory donors via tax haven https://theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/25/hmrc-to-relocate-to-newcastle-office-owned-by-tory-donors-via-tax-haven?CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1637839009-1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Blimey. You've heard it all now.

🥴

He's just managed to out thick Nadine Dorries, almost impossible but he managed it. 

What seems to be being overlooked is the French cannot really stop someone from leaving France. They don't want to be in France. If their entry to the UK is illegal, then it is up to the UK to deal with it. Unfortunately Johnson wrote a letter to the French telling them not only how to run their country. But that they should accept those migrants back. Under an agreement ....... the UK left. . The letter was Johnson clumsy attempt to play to a UK audience. Yet again it merely shows his lack of competence. And understanding. The UK left the EU. Much as if you leave the AA/RAC etc. You cannot expect them to lend you tools beside the road when they are fixing a members car.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RobJames said:

What seems to be being overlooked is the French cannot really stop someone from leaving France. They don't want to be in France. If their entry to the UK is illegal, then it is up to the UK to deal with it. Unfortunately Johnson wrote a letter to the French telling them not only how to run their country. But that they should accept those migrants back. Under an agreement ....... the UK left. . The letter was Johnson clumsy attempt to play to a UK audience. Yet again it merely shows his lack of competence. And understanding. The UK left the EU. Much as if you leave the AA/RAC etc. You cannot expect them to lend you tools beside the road when they are fixing a members car.

Spot on! Perhaps the French should simply say they thought these people were launching their boats to head home. Or perhaps the French should supply a free ferry service from Syria (an "unsafe country" and thereby not one an asylum seeker is expected to register) through the Med and straight to the shores of the UK, thereby making the UK the first country on which the asylum seekers make landfall. 

if, as usually happens, the asylum seekers destroy their documents. Then where does the UK 'send them back to'? And what happens if the country does not accept them back? It is not unknown for countries to encourage criminals etc to leave. Didn't the UK do the same with penal colonies in the US and Australia? Once the UK left the EU, and the Dublin agreement, it was always going to be a massive incentive. Another project fear that has become reality.

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 1

The next corruption scandal will involve the government and the OTT contracts for black marker pens.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Will be interesting to see how Bexley goes. Will those sounding like me ie I voted Tory all my life and now I am undecided, do what I did in the local elections and vote for somebody else, even as a protest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59435987

The local Tories have apparently claimed:

"... their campaign is focusing on what they've achieved and what they plan to do."

Let's hope so!

24 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Will be interesting to see how Bexley goes. Will those sounding like me ie I voted Tory all my life and now I am undecided, do what I did in the local elections and vote for somebody else, even as a protest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59435987

Hopefully they pay attention like you. If they pay attention like this fellow then the tories will romp home.

"Boris? I think he's good at speaking, he's very articulate, he's very fun and jovial," says surveyor Simon Meeks, a formerly "staunch Tory" who is now undecided.

"I think he's done pretty well with things he's had to face, I don't have any major disagreements with him, with what he's been up against he's done pretty well.

"Maybe some of the jokes could be turned down a bit."

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

The local Tories have apparently claimed:

"... their campaign is focusing on what they've achieved and what they plan to do."

Let's hope so!

Lets wait for the first "imagine what Labour will do blah blah blah" comment then.

43 minutes ago, Herman said:

Interesting and something a few of us on here hope could happen.

Sadly it's very difficult for the parties themselves to agree such a plan on any systematic level. It's difficult to claim you're a serious contender to lead the country if you are not prepared to fight every seat. What is really required is the set up of a credible organisation or pressure group (independent of any single political party) which can inform each constituency how to use their vote tactically to oust the sitting Tory. That would allow all parties to field a candidate but also give the voters the best possible knowledge of how to vote  to rid themselves of a Tory.