A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Oh dear! This doesn't look very good for Boris at all:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/fresh-prospect-of-criminal-inquiry-for-boris-johnson-after-jennifer-arcuri-agrees-to-assist-ethics-watchdog/ar-AAQWujL?ocid=msedgntp

Fresh prospect of criminal inquiry for Boris Johnson after Jennifer Arcuri agrees to assist ethics watchdog

Arcuri has formally offered to help the Greater London Authority (GLA) ethics watchdog by allowing it to inspect extracts of her diary entries chronicling her affair with Johnson and agreeing to be questioned for the first time by investigators over the relationship.

The contemporaneous diary excerpts, disclosed in the Observer last week by the journalist John Ware, reveal how Johnson allegedly overruled the advice of staff to promote the business interests of Arcuri and win her affections.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:18, A Load of Squit said:

Instead of reforming voting from FPTP to PR all constituencies should be gerrymandered so that they are a marginal. That would stop MP's in safe seats taking the voters for granted and make then concentrate on representing their electorate instead of getting sleazy 'advisor' jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/21/mps-in-safe-seats-are-most-likely-to-have-second-jobs

10 days later. 

MPs in safe seats are most likely to have second jobs

Research casts doubt on Boris Johnson’s assertion that voters unhappy with their MP moonlighting could just vote them out

On 17/11/2021 at 16:54, BigFish said:

Or a tax cut.

Considering all the guff written about "hardworking families" over the last few years I think it's about time people became aware of a nice little tax break in Quebec for single people living alone, or with dependents. Apparently the Quebecois have never been big ones for marrying up, so the government grant them a tax break that essentially helps them live on their own.

Considering that we have a similar cost of living issue and also that the proportion of single people has been consistently on the rise for decades, it strikes me as an idea whose time has well and truly come.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Or a tax cut.

Too far out from an election, the Tory boys and girls will need that later in the hope that the electorate forgets Sunak is the highest taxing peacetime chancellor in history. Btw they haven't even implemented all the announced tax rises yet 🙂

The DM are still smarting over Dacre not being backed by No.10 to get the OFCOM job.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10229549/Boris-Johnson-praises-Pepper-Pig-World-bizarre-CBI-speech.html

Boris makes a pig's ear of it: PM loses his train of thought in car-crash speech to business chiefs praising Peppa Pig World, comparing himself to MOSES, doing an impression of an ENGINE, and saying 'mother nature' doesn't like WFH

• Boris Johnson delivered bewildering speech to business leaders at the CBI conference in South Shields
  • The Prime Minister compared himself to Moses and made engine noises during the bizarre address
  • Mr Johnson suffered awkward silence as he lost place halfway through the speech and leafed through notes 

Mr Johnson at one point extolled the virtues of Tesla cars, saying they were faster at accelerating from traffic lights than Ferraris. But he also attempted an impression of a traditional petrol engine, issuing a series of guttural sounds to confused delegates in South Shields.

15 seconds he took faffing around to find his way in his speech. It's rather amusing. 

32 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Wow! when a news reporter so blatantly takes the pi*ss out of the PM you've got to think his days are numbered. And this following Nick Robinson telling him to "shut up"; he's lost all respect, and the myth that the "bumbling buffoon" was just an act disguising a genius public speaker has been well and truly exploded. He is a bumbling buffoon, and one mired in corruption to boot.

• Like 1

I guess it made as much sense as any of his other pigs will fly speeches since 2016 but this time with sound effects.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 1

Johnson is simply aiming to get attention here (and more importantly, so the press will report on Peppa Pig) in order to create a distraction from the anger about social care.

The latter point (social care) just shows that 'levelling up' is a con. Policies surely will have been assessed for impact (on many fronts) and therefore the fact that those in the north and in poorer communities will be at a greater disadvantage to the more affluent south must have been known before the policy was announced. The so-called 'levelling up' agenda is the main platform for this administration and therefore (1) transport policy (northern rail services and investment) and (2) social care policy - to select just two recent policy announcements - ought to be consistent with the 'levelling up' mantra. They are not.

Yet, the media outlets will now be concentrating on the peppa pig stuff. It's one of Johnson's dead cat on the table moments. Creating an uproar on the wrong thing. He also announced yesterday that he is becoming more idealistic and less cynical the older he gets. Yeah, right!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

What a total wnak stain. This bloke is the biggest fool we have ever had in Parliament let alone PM.

I just wonder why people cannot see through him.

It does feel that all the people that voted for Johnson and cheered for Brexit are getting far more hammered than people like me.

14 hours ago, sonyc said:

Johnson is simply aiming to get attention here (and more importantly, so the press will report on Peppa Pig) in order to create a distraction from the anger about social care.

The latter point (social care) just shows that 'levelling up' is a con. Policies surely will have been assessed for impact (on many fronts) and therefore the fact that those in the north and in poorer communities will be at a greater disadvantage to the more affluent south must have been known before the policy was announced. The so-called 'levelling up' agenda is the main platform for this administration and therefore (1) transport policy (northern rail services and investment) and (2) social care policy - to select just two recent policy announcements - ought to be consistent with the 'levelling up' mantra. They are not.

Yet, the media outlets will now be concentrating on the peppa pig stuff. It's one of Johnson's dead cat on the table moments. Creating an uproar on the wrong thing. He also announced yesterday that he is becoming more idealistic and less cynical the older he gets. Yeah, right!

Occam's Razor: Occam’s razor (also known as the ‘law of parsimony’) is a philosophical tool for ‘shaving off’ unlikely explanations. Essentially, when faced with competing explanations for the same phenomenon, the simplest is likely the correct one.

Maybe we all over think Johnson and give him more credit than he's due. He's not some cunning chess player that is thinking many steps ahead and the simplest reason is that he is just very, very **** at what he does.

During the brexit debates I strongly thought that May and the others knew what they were doing and had brilliant plans afoot. It turned out they were just really ****. This is likely to be a similar case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Occam's Razor: Occam’s razor (also known as the ‘law of parsimony’) is a philosophical tool for ‘shaving off’ unlikely explanations. Essentially, when faced with competing explanations for the same phenomenon, the simplest is likely the correct one.

Maybe we all over think Johnson and give him more credit than he's due. He's not some cunning chess player that is thinking many steps ahead and the simplest reason is that he is just very, very **** at what he does.

During the brexit debates I strongly thought that May and the others knew what they were doing and had brilliant plans afoot. It turned out they were just really ****. This is likely to be a similar case.

Good point, certainly one worth considering. Perhaps more a principle for my posts though! (Tend to type on my mobile and  I'm more 'tabloid' on a laptop🙂). 

I'm unsure. I believe he picks up experiences in his everyday life and weaves these into a political narrative. Thus, it's more artistic really than analytical thought. He is famously poor on the detail but knows enough to fly by the seat of his pants. He is able to exude enough confidence and bluster to convince his pale and grey Tory colleagues (sychophants). Yet now the cloak is fraying and Johnson is literally falling apart in front of us.

I think his days look numbered. Wrong person for our times. It's not all Johnson either...plenty of other tricksters about.

It will change. I now am starting to believe we (observers, voters) almost (I stress that word) needed this sh1tshow so we begin to compose our ideas about what kind of government we really need.

Something awful often sharpens the mind. And to come back to your first words (and subverting them for poetic effect) in this case the sharpening is with a razor!

Psychologically, as I've posted before, we are watching a Puer Aeternus run the country (if you know this type) and he is about to fall to the ground. I reckon Accuri might be the unexpected source. Who knows.

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

£22k!

I think I might have considered paying £22 grand for Karaoke with Liz Truss just to have the opportunity to sing this to her:

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Good point, certainly one worth considering. Perhaps more a principle for my posts though! (Tend to type on my mobile and  I'm more 'tabloid' on a laptop🙂). 

I'm unsure. I believe he picks up experiences in his everyday life and weaves these into a political narrative. Thus, it's more artistic really than analytical thought. He is famously poor on the detail but knows enough to fly by the seat of his pants. He is able to exude enough confidence and bluster to convince his pale and grey Tory colleagues (sychophants). Yet now the cloak is fraying and Johnson is literally falling apart in front of us.

I think his days look numbered. Wrong person for our times. It's not all Johnson either...plenty of other tricksters about.

It will change. I now am starting to believe we (observers, voters) almost (I stress that word) needed this sh1tshow so we begin to compose our ideas about what kind of government we really need.

Something awful often sharpens the mind. And to come back to your first words (and subverting them for poetic effect) in this case the sharpening is with a razor!

Psychologically, as I've posted before, we are watching a Puer Aeternus run the country (if you know this type) and he is about to fall to the ground. I reckon Accuri might be the unexpected source. Who knows.

For what it's worth I suspect the Jennifer Arcuri revelations which could go criminal has unhinged Johnson rather more than anything else. It strikes at him personally and also must damage his current relationships.

Like all sleazy con men - he struggles to keep juggling all the lies - telling a bigger porky to cover up the one before. Eventually they all come crashing down around his head.

How sad never-mind. The end is nigh.

Jeremy Hunt today very much not positioning himself to succeed Bojo:

"Certainly, in time, people will successfully make the case for the way the cap is calculated to be more generous ....

"We will be helping less people protect the assets in their houses than people like me were hoping for, than in fact the legislation I took through parliament in 2014 [provided for].

"I think it makes it a harder package to sell to the whole country, which is why I hope very much this is something that government will look at again before the next election."

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jeremy Hunt today very much not positioning himself to succeed Bojo:

"Certainly, in time, people will successfully make the case for the way the cap is calculated to be more generous ....

"We will be helping less people protect the assets in their houses than people like me were hoping for, than in fact the legislation I took through parliament in 2014 [provided for].

"I think it makes it a harder package to sell to the whole country, which is why I hope very much this is something that government will look at again before the next election."

It shouldn't be a cap on costs (but setup some self financing  insurance scheme for those that are worried - pay 30K at 67 and then covered etc) but a floor on savings/assets @ say £50K or 80K.

The current 23500 is just too small to be meaningful.