A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

I think he appointed Truss just to ensure that British history records at least one foreign secretary worse than him.

That is the only possible explanation I can come up with for him appointing a total idiot like Truss as Foreign Secretary.

Very, very embarassing time to be British, perhaps that is why Johnson is keeping his bizarre travel restrictions in place - he doesn't want us travelling abroad and finding out that the rest of the world is p*ssing themselves laughing at us.

• Haha 1

Time to muse over it all.

As somebody said on R4 this morning  apart from getting shot of the obvious failing (lightning rod) ministers the main problem for the Johnson government is the style (chaos) of Johnson himself. Sadly that won't change. A levelling down.

Nadine Dorries at Culture ? Is that Johnson embracing alternative comedy or are we truly really now down the rabbit hole?

After a fire at a French electric station, it now looks even likelier we will have massive price increases and winter blackouts. 
Reminds me of the dark ages in the 70’s.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

After a fire at a French electric station, it now looks even likelier we will have massive price increases and winter blackouts. 
Reminds me of the dark ages in the 70’s.

They seem a bit miffed about a submarine contract at the moment.

Stabbed in the back by those Anglos again.

Crazy idea but if we Anglos are worried about China how about we stop selling them raw materials and stop buying their toot. Rattling rusty sabres at them won't do **** all. 

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

Rattling rusty sabres at them won't do **** all.

Rattling rusty sabres, that's what made this country great. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

Nuclear powered submarines without nuclear weapons, that's the sort of crackpot idea that only Jeremy Corbyn would come up with. Whats next, taking the railways back into public ownership?

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Time to muse over it all.

As somebody said on R4 this morning  apart from getting shot of the obvious failing (lightning rod) ministers the main problem for the Johnson government is the style (chaos) of Johnson himself. Sadly that won't change. A levelling down.

Nadine Dorries at Culture ? Is that Johnson embracing alternative comedy or are we truly really now down the rabbit hole?

Stephen Mangan tweeted today "Nadine. Dorries". As if to say 'let that sink in'.

It's where we are.

Reading today in the main press outlets, the reshuffle is completely aimed at election success. It hasn't been about how certain ministers have performed but more influenced by how popular new appointments are. Truss, for example, was the top of the tree.

What is hugely worrying is that you get the sense that voters will actually vote for this lot again. They will place their X's consciously and knowingly. At the moment the opposition is fairly anonymous and therefore maybe for those around the centre ground (a huge number), perhaps they feel there is no alternative. Or, they will always vote Conservative....would never consider anything else.

If they did find a home for their vote it would likely be split anyway (unless opposition parties agree some kind of deal....a rare thing in our politics). With changing of boundaries too, this administration could be around for a long, long time. The electoral system will see to it. 

A lot could change but that feels 'in theory'....voters appear to like a populist government such as the one we have.

The mainstream media hasn't been very critical to date. Had a Labour government been in power for example, the litany of policy mistakes, ministerial behaviour and it's actions would have been crucified in the press. The leader would have been toast. 

Maybe the independence movement(s) might strengthen. Perhaps it has got to get to a stage of deep chaos.

As you've noted Yellow Fever ...'a levellling down'.

Can anything be done? Or is it a form of sleepwalking all around? I'm less convinced now of change as I was in the 80s. 

#losing my idealism. 

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Stephen Mangan tweeted today "Nadine. Dorries". As if to say 'let that sink in'.

It's where we are.

Reading today in the main press outlets, the reshuffle is completely aimed at election success. It hasn't been about how certain ministers have performed but more influenced by how popular new appointments are. Truss, for example, was the top of the tree.

What is hugely worrying is that you get the sense that voters will actually vote for this lot again. They will place their X's consciously and knowingly. At the moment the opposition is fairly anonymous and therefore maybe for those around the centre ground (a huge number), perhaps they feel there is no alternative. Or, they will always vote Conservative....would never consider anything else.

If they did find a home for their vote it would likely be split anyway (unless opposition parties agree some kind of deal....a rare thing in our politics). With changing of boundaries too, this administration could be around for a long, long time. The electoral system will see to it. 

A lot could change but that feels 'in theory'....voters appear to like a populist government such as the one we have.

The mainstream media hasn't been very critical to date. Had a Labour government been in power for example, the litany of policy mistakes, ministerial behaviour and it's actions would have been crucified in the press. The leader would have been toast. 

Maybe the independence movement(s) might strengthen. Perhaps it has got to get to a stage of deep chaos.

As you've noted Yellow Fever ...'a levellling down'.

Can anything be done? Or is it a form of sleepwalking all around? I'm less convinced now of change as I was in the 80s. 

#losing my idealism. 

The funny thing about 'populist' governments is that they look ludicrously inept from the outside looking in - i.e. Trump or various Italian ones (or even the UK) but from the inside and their 'isolated' supporters they seem fine looking out.

Yes there should be an opposition electoral coalitions so as not to split the vote and get real electoral PR reform.

That and Starmer needs now to start coming up with a clear policy so we know what he will do i.e. the botched again social care (personally if you have assets you want to protect by 67 pay a £30K - £50K insurance fee else all at risk down to £23500). Free social care for all under 67.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Nuclear powered submarines without nuclear weapons, that's the sort of crackpot idea that only Jeremy Corbyn would come up with. Whats next, taking the railways back into public ownership?

AUUKUS is the acronym for the new defence arrangement with Australia and the US.

Just think if we had gone in with France and the EU it could have been FUKEU.

18 hours ago, Herman said:

The dog doo bin still looks the best of a bad bunch.

I think he prefers to be known as Mr Gove.

• Haha 1

Johnson has achieved something I thought was impossible, he now has a cabinet more obsequious and sycophantic than the previous one. Just like Trump, Johnson surrounds himself with people who marvel at his fine clothes and genius and refuse to confront him with the truth. The country is screwed.

35 minutes ago, ricardo said:

AUUKUS is the acronym for the new defence arrangement with Australia and the US.

Just think if we had gone in with France and the EU it could have been FUKEU.

Just think the French protest against their government about vaccines, mask wearing and lockdowns as well as passports and some condemn them, yet in the U.K. those protests are aimed at NHS workers, both physical and abusive, with a website where NHS doctors and nurses are named and pictured so they can go on trial and be hung, yet because they are English that is not condemned. 
Agenda against the French maybe and if they retaliate by cancelling our vaccine contracts I guess they will be the bad guys.

• Like 1

Survation.
@Survation
·
NEW – Best Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson45% (+5)
Keir Starmer 28% (-7)
Don't know 28% (+1)

@Survation
NEW – Leadership Favourability Ratings:

Boris Johnson / Keir Starmer

Net Rating: -6% (+4) / -9% (-7)

Favourable 38% (+1) / 29% (-4)

Unfavourable 44% (-3) / 38% (+3)

2164, online, UK adults aged 18+, 10-14 Sept 21. Changes w/ 23 July 21

Mr Bouncy just won't stay down.

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Survation.
@Survation
·

Boris Johnson45% (+5)
Keir Starmer 28% (-7)
Don't know 28% (+1)

@Survation

I really don’t think that many would even know who SKS is 

So Ricardo, knowing what you know and seeing what you've seen why do you still support ol' fatty boombastic?

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

So Ricardo, knowing what you know and seeing what you've seen why do you still support ol' fatty boombastic?

I'm just reporting the numbers mate. Amazing how he bounces back but he doesn't really have much to beat does he?

We are living through a time of very second rate politicians in all parties and just like in football, you can only beat what is in front of you.

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Nadine doing some levelling, up north.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-58593615

An industrial tower is to be demolished after a last-minute conservation listing was quashed by the new culture secretary hours after her appointment.

Why the hell would anybody want to keep that useless monstrosity?

Or the tower?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Survation.
@Survation
·

Boris Johnson45% (+5)
Keir Starmer 28% (-7)
Don't know 28% (+1)

@Survation

Everytime I see a poll Ricardo I am reminded of this sketch. Somehow there is a deep truth there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

I'm just reporting the numbers mate. Amazing how he bounces back but he doesn't really have much to beat does he?

We are living through a time of very second rate politicians in all parties and just like in football, you can only beat what is in front of you.

You are spot on. The incumbent normally gets a second term. I doubt Don't know had ever bern that high.

I bet next GE will have less than 50% turn out.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

You are spot on. The incumbent normally gets a second term. I doubt Don't know had ever bern that high.

I bet next GE will have less than 50% turn out.

As Harold Wilson used to say " a week is a long time in politics", so there's plenty of time for things to change. Eventually the punters get fed up with the same faces.

At the moment I expect something like a re-run of '92 (reduced Con majority)

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why the hell would anybody want to keep that useless monstrosity?

Or the tower?

It looks a bit like the old grain elevator that Robert Chase bought which allowed the clib to make a few quid on property deals.