8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

i like his haircut😉

plus he upsets Billy.

there's plenty of other cnts around that I am not best disposed towards

your cringing defence of them would not stop them from being cnts

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You should be interviewed on Breakfast TV. 😁

I don't get up early enough.

Someone else who has more than an inkling of humanity and is almost a lone voice (though Tom Tugenhat too) on this issue. The silence from our government is deafening.

Edited by sonyc

So, Patel managed to hold on to her "permanent" appointment as "security minister" for less than 24 hours. Perhaps they remembered that she was sacked by May for a breach of security when she held private meetings with the Israeli government while she was minister for international development. Meetings, that at least one Tory MP described as an act of treason.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/priti-patel-loses-security-minister-brief-after-less-than-24-hours/ar-AANi9tm?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

On 12/08/2021 at 15:08, horsefly said:

Government hypocrisy continues apace:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/former-taxpayers-alliance-boss-handed-taxpayer-funded-job-by-priti-patel/ar-AANf6Sh?ocid=msedgntp

Former Taxpayers’ Alliance boss handed taxpayer-funded job by Priti Patel

In his previous role at the TaxPayers’ Alliance, Mr Isaby had criticised government spending on communications staff – attacking “unnecessary” PR jobs in the NHS.

A 2015 TaxPayers’ Alliance report condemned “the emergence of a growing class of “spin-doctors” and their remit goes beyond the basic requirements of government communication”.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Yep! precisely the sort of insight that will ensure he feels very much at home in Patel's catastrophic balls-up Home Office.

• Haha 2

Here's one letter (from many) published in the Torygraph demonstrating deep discontent with the current regime with which many lifelong Tories now fail to identify. Constituency parties have been hijacked by far right Ukippers and brexiteers, and the members of this government are far too engrossed with their own corrupt self-serving projects than to concern themselves with the loss of traditional Tory values. Johnson's pursuit of personal ambition meant he banished every voice that dissented from that purely selfish ambition, so it was inevitable that the party now resembles his own character, entirely without principle or integrity. I've never been a Tory but have known many Tories who I would acknowledge were motivated by genuinely held "one-nation" values. Alas such voices are now silenced in the party. The cult of Johnson is nothing more than a pale reflection of the cult of Trump, and just as the Republican party has been left without principle, integrity or direction after Trump's defrocking, so too will the be the Tory Party once the vacuuous Johnson is exposed for the charlaton spiv he most truely is.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/letters-lifelong-conservatives-who-no-longer-recognise-their-own-party/ar-AANkcII?ocid=msedgntp

The Telegraph

Letters: Lifelong Conservatives who no longer recognise their own party

SIR – Dr Tony Parker’s letter (August 8) is representative of the way many of us feel. I have said on many occasions that I no longer recognise the Conservative Party.

There are notable exception. Some backbench MPs, for example, are concerned about the stance the Government is taking. However, their efforts to resist it have been thwarted because of the remote nature of parliamentary business, and the Government’s ability to force its plans through with little or no scrutiny. This is not democracy. We can only hope that things will improve following the summer recess.

If there were to be another general election I would not feel able to vote Conservative unless things change dramatically. Yet all the alternatives are unappealing. This is a very sad reflection of the state of British politics.

My father came from a poor background but worked hard, without bitterness, to provide for his family. He was a lifelong Conservative voter, and I can only imagine how disappointed he would be with the party now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Not sure wether this belongs on this thread or Kabul thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58220730

Both! A truly heartbreaking read and a devastating account of the UK's shameful abandonment of all those Afghanis who helped our troops, but now face inevitable torture and execution. I can't imagine how many of our soldiers must be feeling having promised those Afghanis that they wouldn't let them down if the worse came to the worse. Already trying to cope with the stress of their service for the country I suspect many soldiers will find it hard to get the faces of those Afghanis out of their minds. Instead we have Patel refusing the applications of translators on the grounds that they had refused to clean toilets. Utterly, despicably shameful.

Resigned from the Labour Party yesterday. The purge is going too far and disenfranchising the left seems to be Sir Toryboy Starmer's objective.

I told them the Greens are the party of the left.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Resigned from the Labour Party yesterday. The purge is going too far and disenfranchising the left seems to be Sir Toryboy Starmer's objective.

I told them the Greens are the party of the left.

I'm afraid the moment Corbyn won the leadership of the Labour Party a re-run of the early 1980s was pretty much inevitable with a purge of the centre-right and infiltration by various hard left groups like militant tendency. The only response to that was a long drawn out rehabilitation of the centre right and a purging of the hard left. It's happening all over again, the only real difference is that the hard left this time (Momentum) speak with posher voices. All this was eminently avoidable and obvious to anyone with the slightest grasp of post-war Labour Party history. But being what it is, it was probably inevitable that the "well-meaning" hard left placed ideology over the pragmatism that has secured all of the Labour Party's past victories. Whatever one's views of the centre-right pragmatism of Blair and Brown, it is undeniable that it lead to a huge amount of money being invested in education and the NHS which simply would not have happened under a Tory alternative, likewise the alleviation of poverty. So, despite my more radical ideological leanings to the left I have always found myself on the side of the pragmatists who actually have a chance of making a genuine impact on the lives of the people the left claim to care about.

Having said all this I'm sure you're right that the future of the left is really with the Greens. The game changer in the history of western  capitalism will be the impending political and social chaos caused by the inevitable consequences of climate change and its catastrophic environmental effects. The fundamental logic of free market capitalism makes it impossible for it to address remotely adequately the issue of climate change, hence the prevarication and ineffectiveness in the face of incontrovertible evidence. The ideological arguments supporting a fairer distribution of the world's resources may have always had a moral authority, but the environmmental destruction caused by rampant free market capitalism will be the thing that necessitates that change. Think of it as a green version of Marx's view that capitalism contained within it the very seeds of its own destruction (just not for the reasons he thought, nor in the ways he thought it would happen).

The Green Party and a Green economy are a real alternative and opposition the market obsessed other parties.

I have no doubt that there may be factions within the Greens but even the most right leaning Green would be more convincing than Labour under SKS.

She is a friends MP and he was in constant dialogue with her, until she blocked him. Here is her latest tweet. 
image.thumb.png.f48d96fca2dc5f9784ed89529ef99a8c.png

Edited by dj11

Poor old Raab...just waiting for Carrie's axe to fall. 🤣

Still, at least he's topped his tan up.

Apples

1 minute ago, Mr Apples said:

Poor old Raab...just waiting for Carrie's axe to fall. 🤣

Still, at least he's topped his tan up.

Apples

Johnson will keep him, as Raab appears more incompetent than himself. 

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

Do you know, there's always been some resemblance. Never quite managed to get who Dom reminded me of before... but it came to me recently:

IMG_20210820_095525.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dj11 said:

It looks like the Raab story may have originated from briefings from Number. 10... bye, bye Raaby, Raaby goodbye. 🤣

Apples

I always thought he resembled Rik Mayall, the only difference being I respected Rick Mayall and he was extremely talented. 

005F94A0-88FF-4F75-ADF1-36118C6F169A.jpeg

• Haha 2

Boris Johnson says he "absolutely" has full confidence in his foreign secretary amid criticism of his decision not to call Afghan ministers over evacuating translators.

That used to mean he's gone in the morning then. But on this occasion it might actually be a very rare case of Boris telling the truth.