With Vrancic back onto the bench 

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 13:23, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Qunitilla

Dowell     Skipp    Cantwell

Idah    Pukki   Placheta 

Right hear me out on this one!

Replaced the central two that isn't working with a 3. To help us dominate that area of the park and between those 3 we should be able to keep the ball much better. I'm aware how lightweight that is but so is a Skipp/McLean pairing at least with these 3 we should be able to play our possession game better. 

I'd also prefer to see 3 up front instead of the usual 4. For me with how we move the ball and the type of chances we create we overload the top end of the pitch more than necessary imo, we often have 4 or 5 players floating around the box when we attack but often many players are just standing there not involved, not moving to create space or coming short for the pass, just standing still waiting for the perfect final pass, this is unnecessary for me, creates even less space and leaves us so vulnerable on the counter.

A 3 up front with Dowell and Cantwell pushing up behind to play those killer balls would create more problems for the opposition as they couldn't just camp on their 18 yard line and mark us out of the game, they would have to come out to meet Cantwell and Dowell in deeper positions creating space for the front 3. With that front 3 you also have a mix of everything and if defenders and holding mids are coming out to meet Cantwell/Dowell and their defenders are dropped off the limit space for Placheta to run into then as you can imagine there would be a ton of space between opposition defence and midfield for us to exploit. 

None of thise is going to happen of course and tbh if I was Farke and it was my head on the line I wouldn't dream of playing a team like this unless I was desperate, but I honestly think it would suit us with the players we have. 

This is the kind of line up I would've gone with in football manager 10 years ago...

In reality, far too top heavy, you are asking Cantwell and Dowell to play in a completely unnatural position with limited freedoms. I think you could bring in a Tettey, Sorenson or McLean for one of the two, and have a 2-1 type set up in the middle with Cantwell / Dowell at the tip in a slightly more advanced role.

I.e.

--Tettey---Skipp--

------Cantwell------

Gibson for Zimmermann the only change if Dowell is fit. Placheta if Dowell is unfit. Emi on the bench.

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

For me, we persist with Mclean and Skipp, with the hope Mclean starts finding some rhythm.

McLean has had 2 years to find rhythm and has consistently failed, how much longer do we continue this charade and instead play someone who actually does something in the midfield?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

4 wingers!    Interesting idea!    Not sure that will work though!   

I get your point, maybe have Cantwell in for Placheta. Hernandez cuts inside a lot so wouldn't be too bad 

Thanks for your input lads, here's what Farke will actually do....

Nothing, nada, zilch.

He will play the same team as last game barring injuries. 

• Like 1

Why do people think Cantwell should start he was poor on Saturday not much better at Huddersfield?

2 minutes ago, pliff said:

Why do people think Cantwell should start he was poor on Saturday not much better at Huddersfield?

Probably because he wasn't poor in either game.

He does have moments where he drifts a bit and isn't involved as much as he should be, but when he is involved he looks to make things happen and plays some clever balls and forces teams to defend because they can't afford to just let him do what he wants.

Not talking about Kenny Mclean anyway playing totally different positions but Mclean does show a lot more effort imo

Dont think Cantwell is good/strong/ready enough to play in the no.10 role, more effective out wide when he's got a bit more space and can drift inside.

If Dowell isnt fit , I'd rather Steiperman reprise his partnership with Pukki than Cantwell play there..

17 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Dont think Cantwell is good/strong/ready enough to play in the no.10 role, more effective out wide when he's got a bit more space and can drift inside.

If Dowell isnt fit , I'd rather Steiperman reprise his partnership with Pukki than Cantwell play there..

I've just liked your earlier post about Buendia being fit - he starts.    Steipermann is sadly not up to it, he has been awful since walking onto the pitch at Anfield!   The lad can't control the football and offers very rare contributions but gives possession away with alarming regularity.    Time to bring through Martin if Buendia Dowell and Cantwell aren't fit.     Think Cantwell is still developing and no reason why he won't come good given a few games and when the team gets some rhythm.   

48 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

It's more than McLean did...

Jesus, has McLean banged your Mrs or something? Give it a rest. You've got it in for him worse than I have for Hugill (and I at least hope Hugill does well, despite being relatively confident that he won't!).

10 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I've just liked your earlier post about Buendia being fit - he starts.    Steipermann is sadly not up to it, he has been awful since walking onto the pitch at Anfield!   The lad can't control the football and offers very rare contributions but gives possession away with alarming regularity.    Time to bring through Martin if Buendia Dowell and Cantwell aren't fit.     Think Cantwell is still developing and no reason why he won't come good given a few games and when the team gets some rhythm.   

Granted Steipermann didnt have the finesse or guile for the premier league...but I'd wager he'd still be an effective operator at this level...shouldnt be forgotten how much of the load he took off Pukki last time around..

10 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Granted Steipermann didnt have the finesse or guile for the premier league...but I'd wager he'd still be an effective operator at this level...shouldnt be forgotten how much of the load he took off Pukki last time around..

He certainly seemed to have a good understanding with Pukki, and also offers something a little more physical. Can we all remember talking about our surprise and delight of his transformation to a 10 after being left back? Hopefully can be on the bench as another option.

15 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A few on here think that but I doubt it now. Confidence and desire are crucial and he is so far away from the level he achieved last time in the EFL and he did over-achieve.    But he knows that there will be no return to the Prem if we get there.
Even in his last chance to impress, the friendly against Darmstadt (who weren’t that clever) he was awful, lost the ball far too easily causing three counters, miss-controlled 7 of 10 attempts and had a 66% pass completion when he only tried one difficult pass!    
We need to move on and develop EPL quality.   

20 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Jesus, has McLean banged your Mrs or something? Give it a rest. You've got it in for him worse than I have for Hugill (and I at least hope Hugill does well, despite being relatively confident that he won't!).

Why should I?

It's an opinion board, and my opinion is that our team is weaker when McLean plays and that he doesn't bring enough to justify his selection, never mind his seeming undroppability.

Cantwell has been getting stick on here for months despite him playing well, yet I don't see you chasing other posters down demanding they stop making said posts, so how about YOU give it a rest in trying to dictate what opinions I can or can't post ref McLean!

1 hour ago, Tracey Rix said:

Drop cantwell is amiss not pulling his wait

A weighty argument, for sure.

P.S I don't agree that Cantwell should be dropped. He's a game changer and a game winner.

Edited by BroadstairsR

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Got to be doubtful that Aarons will play with all the speculation. 

He might not even be here by then. 

Krul

Mumba Godfrey Gibson Xavi

Skipp Sorenson

Buendia Cantwell Placheta 

Pukki

Would be my team. I think Farke will pick...

Krul

Mumba Godfrey Gibson Xavi

Skipp Rupp

Onel Cantwell Placheta

Pukki

Hilarious hardly anyone picks McLean, but Farke won't leave him out. I can't see Zimbo being dropped either. He was out of sorts against Preston but was commanding against Huddersfield. I can't see Stiepermann being anywhere near match fit but might make the bench. He's barely played since lockdown ended. 

If fit Emi has to play.

Krul, Aarons, Godfrey, Zimmermann, Quintilla, Skipp, McLean, Placheta, Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki.

I cant see Kenny being dropped yet either - but would eventually like to see sorensen in with Skipp.    If Max is sold Mumba starts instead.   Suspect Onel will start but his continuing lack of end product means placheta would be my preferred choice,  but added pace second half may prove invaluable.

Krul

Aarons Gibson Godfrey Quintilla

Skipp   McLean 

Emi      Todd         Onel

Pukki

1 hour ago, ZLF said:

I cant see Kenny being dropped yet either - but would eventually like to see sorensen in with Skipp.    If Max is sold Mumba starts instead.   Suspect Onel will start but his continuing lack of end product means placheta would be my preferred choice,  but added pace second half may prove invaluable.

Krul

Aarons Gibson Godfrey Quintilla

Skipp   McLean 

Emi      Todd         Onel

Pukki

I’m pretty much with you - Placheta would start in my XI but don’t think he will be in DF’s; Gibson ought to be ready, he’s not been brought in to warm the bench. I expect Sorensen to be on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m pretty much with you - Placheta would start in my XI but don’t think he will be in DF’s; Gibson ought to be ready, he’s not been brought in to warm the bench. I expect Sorensen to be on the bench.

out of interest why would you not bring tettey in?

37 minutes ago, grababackpackcanary said:

out of interest why would you not bring tettey in?

I would. Drop Mclean and have Tettey and Skipp. We need to start controlling the midfeld and we'll never do that with Mclean.

If Emi fit he should start as No.10 and I really like the idea of Onel/Placheta/Idah to take to two wider spots. No disrespect to Cantwell but pace and directness might create more chances & goals