grababackpackcanary

Team for Bournemouth

Well time to move onto the next game ! This is what I would go for.

Krul

Quintilla

Godfrey

Gibson

Aarons (Mumba if aarons is sold)

Tettey

Skipp

Placheta

Cantwell

Buendia (Dowell if Buendia injured or sold)

Pukki

I've not been overly impressed with kenny and im assuming Skipp is here on the pretence he has to play. Bringing tettey in means we have a bit more bite in midfield and cover. I think Placheta did enough against preston to nudge him above Hernandez.

On an aside been really impressed with Quintillas crossing , its been top class! Great replacement for Lewis.

If we're going to throw Gibson in and assume he's match-fit or close, then I'd be inclined to do the same for Sorensen too. If Dowell's injury was a bit more severe then I'd put Rupp there. In fact, Rupp's greater defensive savvy would be a nice counter-balance to a flat-out speedster on the other flank.

Gibson to start if fit, and totally agree that Tettey should start alongside Skipp to give us more protection in the centre. I guess too Sorensen is adapting to the english game, but I thought we bought him for that cdm role, before we got Skipp. Would equally like to see him alongside Skipp (sorry mclean but you neither bring defensive or attacking nous to the team now we have options)

Not sure why you would you opt for Rupp in an attacking position. I haven't worked out what Rupp's best position is, but I certainly don't see him in an attacking wide position!

One of the tougher games on paper, but invite pressure and we tend to concede.

I too would bring in Gibson, like above I’d go with Skipp & Tettey, but up top I’d drop Cantwell, Dowell & Onel for Buendia, Placheta & Idah behind Pukki.

• Like 1

Krul

Aarons, Godfrey, Gibson, Quintilla

Skipp, Vrancic/Sorenson

Buendia, Cantwell, Placheta

Pukki

Subs

McGovern, Zimm, Tettey, Vrancic/Sorenson, Steipermann, Argos, Idah

• Haha 1

Not sure why we haven’t seen Sorensen feature in the squad yet, Tettey and Rupp ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, grababackpackcanary said:

Krul

Quintilla

Godfrey

Gibson

Tettey

Skipp

Placheta

Cantwell

Pukki

I've not been overly impressed with kenny and im assuming Skipp is here on the pretence he has to play. Bringing tettey in means we have a bit more bite in midfield and cover. I think Placheta did enough against preston to nudge him above Hernandez.

On an aside been really impressed with Quintillas crossing , its been top class! Great replacement for Lewis.

I too would like to see that side. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indy said:

One of the tougher games on paper, but invite pressure and we tend to concede.

I too would bring in Gibson, like above I’d go with Skipp & Tettey, but up top I’d drop Cantwell, Dowell & Onel for Buendia, Placheta & Idah behind Pukki.

That'd be my pick too. We look better with Idah on the pitch and Placheta's pace could be deadly with Emi pulling the strings. I'd maybe go with Sorensen instead of Tettey but not 100% sure I would!

19 minutes ago, kick it off said:

That'd be my pick too. We look better with Idah on the pitch and Placheta's pace could be deadly with Emi pulling the strings. I'd maybe go with Sorensen instead of Tettey but not 100% sure I would!

Dropping Cantwell for Idah is an interesting one. I see where you are coming from ,  but Cantwells stats in last two games speak for themselves . Then again i'm intrigued to see us play two strikers from the off 🙂 . This on paper is definably one of our toughest and it will be as much of disrupting bournemouth from playing as us playing our style of football.

4 minutes ago, grababackpackcanary said:

Dropping Cantwell for Idah is an interesting one. I see where you are coming from ,  but Cantwells stats in last two games speak for themselves . Then again i'm intrigued to see us play two strikers from the off 🙂 . This on paper is definably one of our toughest and it will be as much of disrupting bournemouth from playing as us playing our style of football.

It's nothing against Cantwell, I just think we look more threatening with Idah on the pitch. Cantwell also seemed to lose possession quite a lot yesterday tbf, but dropping him would not be based on his performance but more on what Idah can bring to the table. The pace of Idah and Placheta should pin Bournemouth's wing backs in their own half for fear of them being off to the races - They play a 3-5-2 with wing backs so that should prevent them overloading us when they attack and stop them playing their normal game. Brooks is back so Quintilla needs to be on it from the off.

I think I would change the shape slightly and drop the 10 role back into having 3 in midfield, you then have a choice between Cantwell or Buendia on one wing and I would stay with Hernandez on the other. This is Bournemouth, they have some good players and we look a work in progress.

krul, Aaron’s, Quintilia, Zimmerman, Godfrey, Tettey, Skipp, McClean, Buendia, Hernandez and Pukki.

mcgovern, Gibson, rupp, Cantwell, placehta, Idah and Hudgil 

In my opinion, the two main issues in our first few games have both been centered around the midfield:  a lack of creativity and their inability to take control of the game.

Putting Emi in, when fit, will obviously help with both these aspects but one player that helped us enormously in this regard when we played him behind Pukki was Stiepermann. His physicality gave us more strength in midfield, enabled us to link the midfield with Pukki and also give us an out ball when required. Cantwell, for all his obvious qualities, doesn't really do those things as well.

I'm not Stiepermanns greatest fan by any stretch but I think he performed that role excellently last time in the Championship and was one of the big reasons Pukki got as many goals as he did.

So, assuming all these players are fit, I'd play:

Krul

Quintilla, Godfrey, Gibson/Zimmerman, Aarons 

Tettey

Skipp

Placheta     Stiepermann      Buendia 

Pukki

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

9 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

In my opinion, the two main issues in our first few games have both been centered around the midfield:  a lack of creativity and their inability to take control of the game.

Putting Emi in, when fit, will obviously help with both these aspects but one player that helped us enormously in this regard when we played him behind Pukki was Stiepermann. His physicality gave us more strength in midfield, enabled us to link the midfield with Pukki and also give us an out ball when required. Cantwell, for all his obvious qualities, doesn't really do those things as well.

I'm not Stiepermanns greatest fan by any stretch but I think he performed that role excellently last time in the Championship and was one of the big reasons Pukki got as many goals as he did.

So, assuming all these players are fit, I'd play:

Krul

Quintilla, Godfrey, Gibson/Zimmerman, Aarons 

Tettey

Skipp

Placheta     Stiepermann      Buendia 

Pukki

OTBC

Interesting swapping Aarons to the left! Seriously though, I agree about Stiepermann.

I'd play the same team as yesterday, with Stiepermann and Buendia in in the front three, with either Cantwell, Idah, Placheta or Hernandez in the other position. I'd like Cantwell, but the lack of pace in that front three would worry me and not sure it would offer the best balance.

Krul

Arrons

Godfrey

Gibson

Quintilla

Tettey

Skipp

Buendia

Stiepermann

Placheta

Pukki

There's a lot to like with this line up. Pace on both wings with Max bombing on. Steel in midfield. Creativity with the combination of Buendia, Stiepermann and Pukki.

My guess is Farke will go with the same 11 unless Dowel is out and Max is sold.

If Buendia is back and Dowell is out , it solves a potential big decision Farke may have had over Cantwell and the possibility of dropping him.

I personally dont think he's good/strong enough to play in the no.10 role and I think I'd rather play Steipermann there.

My team is something very different to what Farke will pick

...(assuming Dowell is injured?)

Krul

Aarons  Godfrey  Gibson  Quintilla

Skipp    Vrancic                Buendia Steipermann(Dowell)Hernandez

Pukki

McGovern Zimmerman Tettey Cantwell Placheta Hugill Idah

4 hours ago, grababackpackcanary said:

Krul

Quintilla

Godfrey

Gibson

Tettey

Skipp

Placheta

Cantwell

Pukki

Definite Tettey & Skipp in the middle. Placheta in for Hernandez is arguable. Gibson hasn’t played for nearly 2 years so I’d leave him on the bench until he’s played some reserve games and then gradually introduce him to the first team.

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Qunitilla

Dowell     Skipp    Cantwell

Idah    Pukki   Placheta 

Right hear me out on this one!

Replaced the central two that isn't working with a 3. To help us dominate that area of the park and between those 3 we should be able to keep the ball much better. I'm aware how lightweight that is but so is a Skipp/McLean pairing at least with these 3 we should be able to play our possession game better. 

I'd also prefer to see 3 up front instead of the usual 4. For me with how we move the ball and the type of chances we create we overload the top end of the pitch more than necessary imo, we often have 4 or 5 players floating around the box when we attack but often many players are just standing there not involved, not moving to create space or coming short for the pass, just standing still waiting for the perfect final pass, this is unnecessary for me, creates even less space and leaves us so vulnerable on the counter.

A 3 up front with Dowell and Cantwell pushing up behind to play those killer balls would create more problems for the opposition as they couldn't just camp on their 18 yard line and mark us out of the game, they would have to come out to meet Cantwell and Dowell in deeper positions creating space for the front 3. With that front 3 you also have a mix of everything and if defenders and holding mids are coming out to meet Cantwell/Dowell and their defenders are dropped off the limit space for Placheta to run into then as you can imagine there would be a ton of space between opposition defence and midfield for us to exploit. 

None of thise is going to happen of course and tbh if I was Farke and it was my head on the line I wouldn't dream of playing a team like this unless I was desperate, but I honestly think it would suit us with the players we have. 

Why would we play Skipp AND Tettey in the middle when a key issue has been lack of creativity and forward balls to our attacking players???

We don't need more defence, we need more ammunition for our strong forward players to work with.

This is why it needs to be either Vrancic or Sorenson alongside Skipp, and not Tettey or McLean.

Krul

Godfrey 
        Zimmermann                   Gibson 

Aarons                    Skipp                      Quintilla

Buendia.                 McLean                   Placheta 

Pukki

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Qunitilla

Dowell     Skipp    Cantwell

Idah    Pukki   Placheta 

Right hear me out on this one!

Replaced the central two that isn't working with a 3. To help us dominate that area of the park and between those 3 we should be able to keep the ball much better. I'm aware how lightweight that is but so is a Skipp/McLean pairing at least with these 3 we should be able to play our possession game better. 

I'd also prefer to see 3 up front instead of the usual 4. For me with how we move the ball and the type of chances we create we overload the top end of the pitch more than necessary imo, we often have 4 or 5 players floating around the box when we attack but often many players are just standing there not involved, not moving to create space or coming short for the pass, just standing still waiting for the perfect final pass, this is unnecessary for me, creates even less space and leaves us so vulnerable on the counter.

A 3 up front with Dowell and Cantwell pushing up behind to play those killer balls would create more problems for the opposition as they couldn't just camp on their 18 yard line and mark us out of the game, they would have to come out to meet Cantwell and Dowell in deeper positions creating space for the front 3. With that front 3 you also have a mix of everything and if defenders and holding mids are coming out to meet Cantwell/Dowell and their defenders are dropped off the limit space for Placheta to run into then as you can imagine there would be a ton of space between opposition defence and midfield for us to exploit. 

None of thise is going to happen of course and tbh if I was Farke and it was my head on the line I wouldn't dream of playing a team like this unless I was desperate, but I honestly think it would suit us with the players we have. 

That's all well and good CS, but you have the left footed Krul, almost playing as a RB there. I'm not convinced you have thought this through....

Edited by Crabbycanary3

Krul

Aarons  Zimmerman  Godfrey  Quintilla

Skipp  McLean 

Buendia  Stiepermann  Csntwell

Pukki

17 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Why would we play Skipp AND Tettey in the middle when a key issue has been lack of creativity and forward balls to our attacking players???

We don't need more defence, we need more ammunition for our strong forward players to work with.

This is why it needs to be either Vrancic or Sorenson alongside Skipp, and not Tettey or McLean.

That player we have never seen play and has come from a low level? I'm not sure why it needs him? He may very well end up being needed, but I am not sure we can use that description yet.  For the record, I totally agree that we should not be playing two defensive minded midfielders, especially Tettey, as his (progressive) passing is subpar.

Tettey passing is fine. The problem v Preston was not so much lack of creativity as a lack of physicality in the middle. Skipp looks like he can play the Trybull/Leitner role to me.

Probably one of our three hardest away games next weekend. We cannot have them cutting through our midfield in the way Preston were able to at times. 

Our front four or five will always create chances if we have a solid defensive platform.

The Stiepermann suggesting is interesting. He was awful at Luton but I do agree he does tend to bring out the best in Pukki and gives us some added height/power. I think though I’d persist with Todd for now though even though he’s frustrated me hugely in the opening games. Needs to be told to stop showboating and flinging himself on the floor and to keep it simple in the defensive two thirds. 

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Tettey passing is fine.

It's not if you want to pass the ball forward. If you are happy - and have mitigated it in other ways - to have zero penetrative passing in midfield, playing Tettey and Skipp is fine (possibly harsh on Skipp but definitely not harsh on Tettey). If you want your central midfielders to be able to move the ball forward, maintaining momentum and control, Tettey is not the man and he never has been. What he does, he does well, passing forwards is not one of them.

Krul

Aarons Gibson Godfrey Zimmermann Quintilla 

Skipp 

Placheta            Buendia                          Hernandez 

Pukki

On 20/09/2020 at 08:45, Indy_Bones said:

Krul

Aarons, Godfrey, Gibson, Quintilla

Skipp, Vrancic 

Buendia, Cantwell, Placheta

Pukki

Subs

McGovern, Zimm, Tettey, Vrancic/Sorenson, Steipermann, Argos, Idah

Exactly how i would start with Vrancic as the passer quarterback style in the middle to ping passes to the Attackers 

Tettey  for Skipp winning the ball the just simple short passing to Vrancic to Set away the Attacking players 

20 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Krul

Aarons Gibson Godfrey Zimmermann Quintilla 

Skipp 

Placheta            Buendia                          Hernandez 

Pukki

4 wingers!    Interesting idea!    Not sure that will work though!   

51 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Exactly how i would start with Vrancic as the passer quarterback style in the middle to ping passes to the Attackers 

Tettey  for Skipp winning the ball the just simple short passing to Vrancic to Set away the Attacking players 

Hasnt Farke said he viewed Vrancic as a 10 rather than a holding style midfielder? For me, we persist with Mclean and Skipp, with the hope Mclean starts finding some rhythm. Would be keen to see Sorenson start picking up some minutes from the sub bench, as in theory he was purchased on the basis he was an improved (long term) option for Tettey. Would like to see Emi playing once more, if his head is in the right mindset.