Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardoi's report v P.N.E.

Recommended Posts

In the normal course of events I am never very lucky when it comes to Lotteries, draws or raffles, but when I made my application for tickets on Thursday I was absolutely confident that I was going to be a winner. Call it confirmation bias if you like but fate does seem to have a habit of playing out in strange ways.

In the course of a long supporting lifetime you get to witness a whole raft of odd events. Bunny Larkins torn shorts, Kevin Keelans left hook that laid Tom Robson low and the night the fog came down in the League Cup semi final with just five minutes left are just a few of those unexpected little nuggets that immediately spring to mind. Weird events do happen but being present on a fine September afternoon in an almost empty stadium in the midst of a world wide epidemic is probably the weirdest of all.

i have not done much cycling during the lockdown so we took it easy on the way down so as not to overheat. Thankfully I passed the temperature check o.k. and didn't get sent to the Covid Lounge. I was there ninety minutes before kick off but it didn't really seem necessary with only 1K attendance and there were plenty who arrived much later. In any event we had a good seat on the halfway line and gave the boys a big cheer when they came out to run through the warm ups.

Buendia, absent again was a disappointment but the team looked strong enough on paper and when we kicked off towards the River End there was a nice blue sky but quite a blustery cool wind. The visitors looked quick and strong in the opening exchanges and probably edged the opening quarter with City seeming to find difficulty getting into any sort of rythym. Skipp caught my eye with some snappy tackling but McDowell took an early knock which saw him limp off mid way through the half.

It didn't surprise me when Preston went ahead and although it was a soft penalty, players should know better than clatter into someone from behind when the ball is in the air. Davies went down rather easily but you couldn't really argue when the ref pointed to the spot. After this it didn't really get much better and I was bemoaning our lack of efforts on goal in the opening half hour when City finally exerted a bit of sustained pressure with crosses into the area. It looked like Preston had survived when it was hacked clear on the City right but when the ball was returned Declan Rudd could only fumble Pukki's flying header in off the post.

This seemed to wake the home team up as the ball was now being pinged around in fine style and Pukki might well have had a second when a combination of Placheta, who had replaced McDowell, and Cantwell got him through with just Rudd to beat. The City Talisman tried to dink it past the Preston keeper but Rudd just got fingers to it to save the day. After a bout on the back foot Preston came forward again just before the break and picked apart the home defence with worrying ease. Sinclair had time and space to beat Krul but Godfrey did wonders to block it on the line. Unfortunately there were two Preston players waiting for the rebound and Fisher netted with relative ease.

After a disappointing half there was much to ponder as we sat in the sun and having forgotten to bring my usual halftime livener I had to don an extra layer as the temperature started to drop.

City began the second half with a little more zest and Max Aarons was unlucky when he curled a shot a foot over the bar after a sustained period of pressure. Preston however still looked very lively on the break and the home defence had to be on it's toes to defend a series of dangerous corners. A surging fifty yard run by Skipp almost got Pukki in again and Godfrey was a yard to high with a shot struck from twenty-five yards. Placheta was looking very dangerous with neat footwork and lightening speed down the left but he wasted a glorious chance When Rudd could only beat away a Pukki effort into his path. From six or seven yards the goal appeared to be at his mercy but a snatched effort sailed well over.

Idah came on for Hernandez just after the hour markand was unlucky to see a deft header blocked in the six yard box. Again it was Placheta supplying the cross. Time was ticking away quite quickly and the visitors took every opportunity to milk the clock, much to the annoyance of the home crowd. I think those of us in the stands did our best to lift the boys and were generally as noisey as it is possible to be with only a thousand in the ground. It was great to be back but I am sure all would agree that it's not quite the same as having a full house.

With only five minutes left more sustained pressure in the box found Placheta with a chance. The first was blocked but the second was volleyed beautifully into the far corner for the equaliser and from there on I was convinced we would get a winner. Preston still had plenty of fight and pushed us back on the break but in the final minute of added time I thought we had done it. A great ball out to the left found Placheta going at speed and his low cross was met perfectly by Pukki on the corner of the six yard box. I was up out of my seat but somehow Rudd got a hand to it and turned it over the bar. So near yet so far.

So honours even and it would be churlish to say Preston didn't deserve their point. It is going to be a long season and we always knew it wouldn't be easy so I am relatively content tonight. At the very least I can now claim to have attended both the highest and the lowest ever first team gates at Carrow Road.👍😀

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ricardo. Top report as always and another welcome small step towards normality. Do you think you could wangle a place in the press box next time as it’s going to be pushing your luck relying on winning the lottery every game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s great to see your report on here again, Ricardo! Hope you enjoyed being part of the lowest ever first team crowd!
Thoughts on Pukki? Was he looking more like his old self?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

Thanks Ricardo. Top report as always and another welcome small step towards normality. Do you think you could wangle a place in the press box next time as it’s going to be pushing your luck relying on winning the lottery every game!

Only got one number on last nights Euromillions😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cosmic Twin said:

It’s great to see your report on here again, Ricardo! Hope you enjoyed being part of the lowest ever first team crowd!
Thoughts on Pukki? Was he looking more like his old self?

Yes, I thought he had a good game might easily have had hat trick but for Declan Rudd.

Of all the new boys I was most impressed by Placheta. A really top signing in my opinion.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the club can be happy with the organisation today but if we move to 8k it will need more than one stand open. Every other row was empty and we even had a lady coming round with a food and drinks tray. A bit like being at the cinema in the 1950's.😀

Quite easy going for a wee (socially distanced as well 😉 ). I tried it four times in three and a half hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ricardo. Good to see this report after so many months. Who was your motm btw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Thanks Ricardo. Good to see this report after so many months. Who was your motm btw?

Id give it to Placheta, he always looked likely to either score or create a chance. Can't  wait to hear a full house roar when he takes off on a run. 

Lightening quick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ricardo said:

I think the club can be happy with the organisation today but if we move to 8k it will need more than one stand open. Every other row was empty and we even had a lady coming round with a food and drinks tray. A bit like being at the cinema in the 1950's.😀

Quite easy going for a wee (socially distanced as well 😉 ). I tried it four times in three and a half hours.

Thanks for the report Ricardo. Almost like the good ol’ days.

Judging by the Pink Un photo of the crowd in the stand it looks as though they didn’t have fans all the way back in the centre section so your Row P seat must have been about as far back as you could go.

Good to hear the latrine arrangements were to your satisfaction. 😀

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ricardo said:

I think those of us in the stands did our best to lift the boys and were generally as noisey as it is possible to be with only a thousand in the ground. It was great to be back but I am sure all would agree that it's not quite the same as having a full house.

 

How weird/normal was the “atmosphere” Ricardo? Obviously not the same as having 20,000 in there but would you keep going if you had the chance? I reckon some might find it all a bit... maybe ‘underwhelming’ is the right word? Is it worth your money and time out of your day or did the lack of atmosphere make you think you might stick to the radio in the future? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

How weird/normal was the “atmosphere” Ricardo? Obviously not the same as having 20,000 in there but would you keep going if you had the chance? I reckon some might find it all a bit... maybe ‘underwhelming’ is the right word? Is it worth your money and time out of your day or did the lack of atmosphere make you think you might stick to the radio in the future? 

Yes it was well worth it and I was glad to get back even in rather constrained circumstances. Hopefully a bigger gate will be allowed soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ricardo, a tiny shift back to normality. I’m not a season ticket holder, so haven’t paid much attention to how the ballot worked. Are you now excluded until everyone’s had a chance to be at a game? We may need a PinkUn campaign to get you into every home game.

Edited by Nuff Said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mt Ricardoi please advise the cost of your ticket or were they free?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete said:

Mt Ricardoi please advise the cost of your ticket or were they free?

season ticket holders have already paid. We didn't have to pay again.

Edited by ricardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Thanks Ricardo, a tiny shift back to normality. I’m not a season ticket holder, so haven’t paid much attention to how the ballot worked. Are you now excluded until everyone’s had a chance to be at a game? We may need a PinkUn campaign to get you into every home game.

yes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ricardo, it hasn't been the same without your report! 👍

Personally, I think that the club should let you attend all the games as the supporter's journalist!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...