Sign in to follow this  

I was impressed with his performance from the bench today. But Pukki didn't do badly either, so unless you change the system or play Idah wide, I'm not sure that Idah starts. 

Bringing him on against tired legs for 20 minutes seems to have worked very well for the last couple of games, so I'd stick with that plan for next week.

Would love to see them both play...à la Biggins & Drinkell or even further back, the McDougal and Bower days ....but we rarely play 2 up front. Would still love to see and I feel with a strong midfield (when that is working well) they would create all kinds of (different) problems for Championship defences to think about. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Gotta get Idah and pukki on the pitch together

Posted same time TRB. Great minds.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Posted same time TRB. Great minds.

Idah looks good wide let’s put him out there and see how it goes

Just think we need to give pukki more chances today

He had the cross he scored from

The 1 on 1 with Rudd

The 95th near post chance

I think he needs to know he will get the ball in areas he can make chances count.

Idah was very good today, I totally agree he comes on and he is a threat, strong, physical, pace, goal threat in the box and outside. Looking the real deal, gladhe is not on loan this season.

I think he will see plenty of game time form the bench but over the season we could change our starting formation and if we do it is because of players from and Idah is asking the question early this season. Very impressed.

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Looks totally the business to me. Physicality, desire, skill and vision. Really enjoyed his performance.

Perhaps we should try him at CB as there's not a lot of those qualities on display in that department

8 minutes ago, smooth said:

I think he needs to know he will get the ball in areas he can make chances count.

One reason why Pukki scored so many last time at this level was due to the support and ammo being supplied to him by both Vrancic and Stiepermann, and since that changed, so has his supply and thus his returns.

Pukki will never score that many again if we're relying on crosses rather than clever balls for him to run onto, or 1-2 play between him and one of the attacking mids/wingers.

Emi should play ahead of Dowell (assuming he doesn't get sold) which is a start, and if we could add some actual forward passing ability in midfield, it would be even better, but we all know that somehow McLean is undroppable and Skipp has probably been given a strong promise of gametime to get Spurs to agree to the loan, which kind of scuppers that part of the plan.

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Looks totally the business to me. Physicality, desire, skill and vision. Really enjoyed his performance.

Good sensible haircut as well LDC 😉

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Perhaps we should try him at CB as there's not a lot of those qualities on display in that department

Or in defensive midfield next to Godfrey?

27 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I was impressed with his performance from the bench today. But Pukki didn't do badly either, so unless you change the system or play Idah wide, I'm not sure that Idah starts. 

Bringing him on against tired legs for 20 minutes seems to have worked very well for the last couple of games, so I'd stick with that plan for next week.

Would tend to agree with this, for the time being anyway.

I’d possibly like to see a 442 with both of them at some point. Maybe a bit too open and attacking, but if Aarons goes then perhaps we play more solid fullbacks, two pacey attacking wingers, Idah and Pukki up top and two holding midfielders. But risky move and if we try it and concede a few then the manager gets panned.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well he played in the centre of midfield once Hugill came on and looked good there too. Maybe just what we need - the Stiepermann type role.

No, he didn't play there. He ended up there from trying to get back from a Preaton counterattack and picked up the ball from Krul and played one pass. That doesn't mean he should play in Central midfield.

Just now, hogesar said:

No, he didn't play there. He ended up there from trying to get back from a Preaton counterattack and picked up the ball from Krul and played one pass. That doesn't mean he should play in Central midfield.

Well if he ended up there and can make that kind of surging run, followed by a good pass that almost saw us score, then he plainly can play there. 

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well if he ended up there and can make that kind of surging run, followed by a good pass that almost saw us score, then he plainly can play there. 

No. It really doesn't mean he can play in that position based on one passage of play. That's ridiculous. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

One reason why Pukki scored so many last time at this level was due to the support and ammo being supplied to him by both Vrancic and Stiepermann, and since that changed, so has his supply and thus his returns.

We’re only 2 games in - I think you might be jumping the gun a little bit with your assessment there!

(ignoring the fact in those 2 games, Teemu’s got a goal and an assist so... )

Edited by Alex Moss
Added text.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

We’re only 2 games in - I think you might be jumping the gun a little bit with your assessment there!

The 'gun' on this forum is so small, an ant could jump over it.

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

The 'gun' on this forum is so small, an ant could jump over it.

It is quite beyond belief sometimes, ATG!

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:
19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No. It really doesn't mean he can play in that position based on one passage of play. That's ridiculous. 

Some players are versatile and can play virtually anywhere on the pitch - and Idah looks one of those. Godfrey is another.  The types of player that can fulfil any number of roles. 

Anyhow, what position was he playing after Hugill came on?  Hugill and Pukki in front of him was my impression - or are you suggesting we played with three strikers and no attacking central midfielder? 

Seems to be very good coming off the bench, would he be as good starting? And in what position? Pukki is starting to get his sharpness back. Possibly Idah for Hernandez.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Some players are versatile and can play virtually anywhere on the pitch - and Idah looks one of those. Godfrey is another.  The types of player that can fulfil any number of roles. 

Anyhow, what position was he playing after Hugill came on?  Hugill and Pukki in front of him was my impression - or are you suggesting we played with three strikers and no attacking central midfielder? 

If you think Idah can play Central Midfield for Norwich because he received a ball from Krul, ran 15 yards with literally no one around him and pass it out to the wing, then so can I.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:
9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If you think Idah can play Central Midfield for Norwich because he received a ball from Krul, ran 15 yards with literally no one around him and pass it out to the wing, then so can I.

With respect you haven't answered the question. If Hugill and Pukki were playing up front, which they were, what was Idah's position?

Great save off the line by Godrey from Sinclair, very unfortunate that the rebound was straight to Fisher for an easy finish.

Has anyone thought that we should give Godfrey a try in goal? He certainly looked like he could do a job in there with that save. 

Quite simply , I thought he looked the best footballer on the pitch when he came on .

Edited by Pockthorpe

51 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes but you’d have seen the goal and gone for glory.....come on be honest!

He’s one hell of a prospect, looks good in that rolling three behind Pukki and gets in the box. Certainly could be utilised as an attacking number 10. Put Placheta one side and Buendia the other and that’s a scary three.