Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Soft Centre

Beyond the highlights I didn't watch Huddersfield and I understand Skipp had a great game there, but it was the centre mid that cost us a win today. Skipp and McLean looked out of their depth, despite Kenny playing a league lower than last year. 

I know McLean is teacher's pet and it won't happen, but I'd love to see Sorensen and Vrancic given a go. I suspect today would have gone far better with them starting. Certainly couldn't see them doing any worse.

In the first half they sat so deep that they missed every second ball.

I did think we had very little creativity or tempo from the pairing today. That for me is what I thought was the biggest thing today.

They can grow as a pairing, it wasnt great from both today. 

Personally I would like to see a disruptive pairing that then gets the ball to buendia, Cantwell and our other creative players. But today they were second to a lot of ball.

If we are going to have a disruptive player and one who sets the tempo then we need to be more assured at the back.

I think with such a forward thinking defensive group I would rather a more defensive pairing in that position who gets the ball back and allows the forward thinking players to move forward.

Early days but I would like to see us move in to 2nd and 3rd gear more often and quicker.

We are like a rolo 

nice looking externally with a soft, gooey centre that can collapse if you put too much pressure on it

To be fair McLean has put in two 6s, whilst Skipp has gone from an 8/9 to a 4/5. Not sure what I prefer to be honest.

This vaccine is taking its time as well, huh? 

I want to see Vrancic given a role as lead virologist. 

This obsession with vrancic, who can't run, tackle, or stay fit, amongst some "fans" is bordering on a mental illness. 

The same as the obsession with only seeing the bad in McLean and attacking him at literally every chance. 

Moronic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

This obsession with vrancic, who can't run, tackle, or stay fit, amongst some "fans" is bordering on a mental illness. 

The same as the obsession with only seeing the bad in McLean and attacking him at literally every chance. 

Moronic. 

Jerry in "people have different opinions then me" shocker

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

1) You don't need to constantly run and tackle to succeed in the middle. Crooky was never the quickest or best tackler, nor was Pirlo, but it was their passing ability and creativity that got them selected ahead of other more 'athletic' players. David Fox wasn't a great tackler or particularly quick either, but he made things tick at the bottom of Lambert's diamond formation. Give me a Vrancic any day over an Andy Hughes.

2) In the entire time McLean has been here, I've seen him have roughly 4-5 genuinely good games, the rest were average to poor, and whilst some are happy to see a player churn out constant middle of the road matches with little to offer other than covering ground, I'd rather we had some actual technical ability and passing range in there instead which is precisely what Vrancic offers.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, smooth said:

In the first half they sat so deep

Interesting observation. Haven’t watched today and only watched Huddersfield highlights. One of my big grumbles last year though was that there was often too much space between the lines. We don’t seem to be able to squeeze the space and move as units. Just because we’ve got two holding midfielders doesn’t mean they need to be miles away from the attacking midfielders.  They move up, the defence moves up, squeeze the space between all the lines and it’s much more difficult for the opposition.

5 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Interesting observation. Haven’t watched today and only watched Huddersfield highlights. One of my big grumbles last year though was that there was often too much space between the lines. We don’t seem to be able to squeeze the space and move as units. Just because we’ve got two holding midfielders doesn’t mean they need to be miles away from the attacking midfielders.  They move up, the defence moves up, squeeze the space between all the lines and it’s much more difficult for the opposition.

Agreed Aggy, totally agree.

Dont always like to see Pukki in the final third when we are defending as I think those 2 defensive midfield and defensive group should step forward and squeeze ths opposition.

We def need outlets and pukki further up the field with fast wingers and fast thinkers with great technical ability able to move us forward from our final third.

What is wrong with people on here?

Have you not actually seen the last few matches Vrancic has started?

I was not surprised that he did not make the bench if that was based on those performances.

Still, he was a game changer when he came on against Luton.

Or doesn't that count?

Can I mention Sorenson as a viable replacement for McLean?  I think by end of season, the Skipp / Sorenson axis will return us to the top.

Two league matches played and we need to change the formation?

Two matches played and we already need Godfrey in midfield, even though he hasn't played there for more than two seasons and never at this level.

Two matches and Idah as either a midfielder or defender?

Two fast wingers and play it long!

What absolute rubbish will be next?

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

but it was the centre mid that cost us a win today.

Skipp was a lot better in the second half - you have to take into account the fact that new players might take time to find their best form. Anyhow, I thought it was Rudd's save from Pukki right at the end that cost us the win. 

• Like 1

People go on about Vrancic because of all the goals and assists that got us promoted last time. I'm not really a McLean fan but we aren't awash with alternatives with Trybull and Leitner out of the picture. I can see the need for continuity.

I wasn't massively impressed with Skippy today but can see what he brings to the team in terms of discipline and positioning. The penalty was extremely harsh; the Preston player stopped and made a back for him. The ref was successfully duped.

We definitely did sit a bit deeper today, but that was exactly what was required. We need more discipline and structure so that we can stop conceding soft goals. Then we can build in the better transition play and become a bit more expansive from a solid foundation.

We lacked creativity in midfield. Cantwell not really at his best and Onel was awful. With Emi out too we didn't control the midfield and Skipp and McLean were very deep most of the time. Easy for Preston first half as we had no sustained possession or control.

Our back 4 worryingly still flap around at corners; Godfrey not at his best, Zimbo not sure what was wrong with him, Quintilla not great positioning. 

A lot to work on. For starters we need to up the work rate, start pressing higher up the pitch.

Gibson needs to start pronto. If 50% of our leaky backline are good enough for Newcastle and Barcelona, you have to take a serious look at the remaining 50% to see if they may be the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrykerry said:

Moronic. 

Jerrykerry. Calling something moronic. Does anyone have an address for irony's next of kin so I can send my condolences? 

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Gibson needs to start pronto. If 50% of our leaky backline are good enough for Newcastle and Barcelona, you have to take a serious look at the remaining 50% to see if they may be the problem. 

Goals conceded do not = defenders are bad. It is not that simple.

Was lucky enough to be at game today. Definitely thought that we were too lightweight in the middle. PNE had a lot of the ball and definitely were more cohesive going forward than us. We didn’t play particularly well but got a point so not a disaster.

18 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Goals conceded do not = defenders are bad. It is not that simple.

It's a pretty good indicator. 

Vrancic, Steipermann and Buendia. We've been poor ever since we took these three away from Pukki. 

I'd love to know the reason why Vrancic doesn't start, considering his form and effectiveness last time in the Champs. Even in the handful of games he showed last year he showed a lot of class. It's absolutely mind boggling. That first half against Spurs was top class, I can't recall another midfielder putting in such a classy performance - Leitner against Newcastle maybe?!

Mclean and Cantwell came into the side towards the end of our championship winning season and we lost our fluidity. Results were harder to come by, and games became a grind. Without Leitner, Vrancic and Buendia, our football was not nearly as good or exciting. 

Further to this, the best I saw Mclean play last season was away to Everton. And he played in an advanced role! He just isn't good enough in a holding role, especially in a Farke ball system! 

Edited by Il Pirata

There are a couple of things to say about Mario. First, he is never going to play for us again in the Premier League. We are trying to recruit players that will help us as and when we get back there. He doesn't have the mobility off the ball to play at that level. He's also the wrong side of 30 and pretty unlikely to get an extended contract.

There are certain games, against the weaker sides where we should boss possession, where you could use him as an attacking sub. Otherwise, I don't think you will be seeing much of him unless there are injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

Two league matches played and we need to change the formation?

Two matches played and we already need Godfrey in midfield, even though he hasn't played there for more than two seasons and never at this level.

Two matches and Idah as either a midfielder or defender?

Two fast wingers and play it long!

What absolute rubbish will be next?

Well, these sort of comments should be expected after two dreadful performances and no points on the board.

Oh, wait...

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Beyond the highlights I didn't watch Huddersfield and I understand Skipp had a great game there, but it was the centre mid that cost us a win today. Skipp and McLean looked out of their depth, despite Kenny playing a league lower than last year. 

I know McLean is teacher's pet and it won't happen, but I'd love to see Sorensen and Vrancic given a go. I suspect today would have gone far better with them starting. Certainly couldn't see them doing any worse.

I agree. I’d even play Tettey instead of McLean especially away from home.

4 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

**** me, it's like a broken record in here.

You've never seen Sorenson play and Vrancic is the dictionary definition of soft centre. Look the phrase up and there's a picture of him!! Ben Pearson would have absolutely crucified him.

I agree McLean was poor but Skipp was much improved in the second half. 

The continued selection of Kenny Mclean is going to become a huge issue for us. There were plenty of issues today and Skipp didn’t have a great game but we will never control the midfield with McClean starting there and yet Farke seems to love him.

It’s very frustrating. 

• Like 1

Our best midfielder last season was Tettey. It really beggars belief that Kenny seems destined to start every game. 

• Like 2