Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

NCFC v Preston Matchday Thread

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Done well to stay in 4th place. Luton 2nd now, makes our cup exit a evenĀ more reasonableĀ 

Seriously? Using the table to make comparisons after two games is very thin ice.

8 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Poor. We were lucky. Preston the better side.Ā 

I mean they weren't. First half maybe.

Skipp was worse than Mclean but Mclean still gets scapegoated, how surprising..

Created the better chances and probably should have won but 4 points from opening 2 fixtures having lost 12 on the bounce prior to that is a very positive sign.

Don't think the same defensive issues exist as much as telling Quintilla to tuck back into position would have negated both of their goals (probably) today.Ā 

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

No one played particularly well today. The last move was the best of the whole game, yet we still somehow managed to almost let them get a one on one in our own penalty box. Our back four are really not very good, even at this level.

Bit harsh on Aarons and Godfrey. I thought they both played quite well today, and last week too.

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We played an average mid table side without their two best players who had a game midweek and haven't made any signings this summer and we were second best throughout in every aspect.Ā 

Ā 

They passed the ball better than we could, created better chances, fought harder, showed much more determination and energy, defended in numbers, used the ball smartly and overall in my opinion looked a much better team than we are.

Ā 

Very worrying again. This is the poorest football we've played under Farke since his first season. We're supposed to be a passing, attacking team but we can't keep the ball, especially when under any pressureĀ and rarely create any clear cut chances. We're in for a hard season imo.

I donā€™t think we were this bad at all,Ā we had spells of domination in the game - certainly also very sloppy at times and Preston were the better side in the first half. But you could tell by their constant time wasting towards the end that they felt under the cosh. They were happy with the 2-2. I also thought we created the better chances overall and really shouldā€™ve scored a couple in that second half - I think they only created from corners in the second half really and a few half chances? You make it sound like we got battered.

I saw you were very negative in the Huddersfield thread too about our performance too. Perhaps a bit overly negative,Ā IĀ agree there are lots of improvements to be made itā€™sĀ stillĀ early doors, andĀ every teamĀ bar Luton and Reading have dropped points already!Ā 

• Like 1

Very important we didn't lose this. 4 points from 2 games is a good start considering we clearly haven't clicked yet. Placheta very dangerous. We will probably score in every game, we just need to concentrate at the back.

Just now, hogesar said:

Created the better chances and probably should have won but 4 points from opening 2 fixtures having lost 12 on the bounce prior to that is a very positive sign.

Don't think the same defensive issues exist as much as telling Quintilla to tuck back into position would have negated both of their goals (probably) today.Ā 

This, although I think Preston were clearly better first half, us in the second.

Interesting point about Quintilla. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. A very un Farke like player. Weak defensively today and although lots of balls into the box which many fans will love and have been crying out for, is that really the way we want to play with Pukki (2 headed goals in 3 years) our lone striker?

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Positives in that we can fight back from behind to get points.

Negatives in that we seem to have the same issues defensively as before.

Another is that we couldnā€™t string more than three quality passes together at any given time.

The game looked like a whole lot of scrambling around and reacting to the flow of play, rather than dictating it.

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I donā€™t think we were this bad at all,Ā we had spells of domination in the game - certainly also very sloppy at times and Preston were the better side in the first half. But you could tell by their constant time wasting towards the end that they felt under the cosh. They were happy with the 2-2. I also thought we created the better chances overall and really shouldā€™ve scored a couple in that second half - I think they only created from corners in the second half really and a few half chances? You make it sound like we got battered.

I saw you were very negative in the Huddersfield thread too about our performance too. Perhaps a bit overly negative,Ā IĀ agree there are lots of improvements to be made itā€™sĀ stillĀ early doors, andĀ every teamĀ bar Luton and Reading have dropped points already!Ā 

There is a wild expectation that we can simply turn up having just been relegated, lost 12 on the spin, sign 11 players and suddenly pass all these championship teams off the pitch, all with minimal pre season to boot.

• Like 5

We didnt go down without a fight unlike the prem last season. I know its a big gulf in class but the way the lads kept on going and tried to get the 3 points was a very sign! Keep it up. Confidence is key, 2 out of 3 strikers have scored in the league already. Not getting too carried away yet but positiveĀ 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Seriously? Using the table to make comparisons after two games is very thin ice.

Have to say Iā€™m disappointed weā€™ve fallen short of the top 2 places already. Poor.

My post wasĀ just to point out how many other sides have dropped points, as well as Lutonā€™s good early season form, to show our much derided cup exit andĀ performance todayĀ werenā€™t so bad?Ā Iā€™m of course notĀ taking the actualĀ league standings seriously at this stage..

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We havent just given a 3 year contract to Skipp unlike the other player you mention, of whom we should have shown the door with Trybull and Leitner and sought to upgrade....not be extending his stay

Good to get an early wake up call, and for new players to realise that this league is not an easy one. Skipp, Quintella, Placheta, welcome to the Championship!Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

This, although I think Preston were clearly better first half, us in the second.

Interesting point about Quintilla. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. A very un Farke like player. Weak defensively today and although lots of balls into the box which many fans will love and have been crying out for, is that really the way we want to play with Pukki (2 headed goals in 3 years) our lone striker?

Sorry, but what coach doesnā€™t know how to find a place for a player who has the speed to chaseĀ down andĀ collectĀ anĀ impossible ball and then, with that speed and momentum still in his body, turn and deliver a cross back to Pukki in the box?

Ā 

This one is on Farke to figure out.

So, for Bournemouth away:

Ā 

• Is it too soon for Gibson to replace Zimbo?
  • Emi needs to play assuming he's still with us
  • Placheta instead of Onel?
  • Can we play Pukki and Idah together?
  • And... is it time to bring Tettey back?
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

How did Max play with all the distractions?

They took his phone off himĀ last Sunday and then put him in isolation (thinkĀ The Great Escape or The Shawshank Redemption)

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

They took his phone off himĀ last Sunday and then put him in isolation (thinkĀ The Great Escape or The Shawshank Redemption)

Only isolated parts of the Shawshank Redemption hopefully. šŸ˜µ

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We havent just given a 3 year contract to Skipp unlike the other player you mention, of whom we should have shown the door with Trybull and Leitner and sought to upgrade....not be extending his stay

Why would we show the door to our best central midfielder?

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Ā 

NoĀ it isnā€™t too soon Iā€™d bring him in if heā€™s readyĀ 

100% if heā€™s still here and wants to play..

Yes Hernandez poor todayĀ 

Not as a starting pairĀ 

I wouldnā€™t be disappointed to see Tettey in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Sorry, but what coach doesnā€™t know how to find a place for a player who has the speed to chaseĀ down andĀ collectĀ anĀ impossible ball and then, with that speed and momentum still in his body, turn and deliver a cross back to Pukki in the box?

Ā 

This one is on Farke to figure out.

Hopefully he will. He didnā€™t suit our play today though. Lots of balls into the box to no one when attacking and out of position all too often defensively.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Ā 

Really interesting, for me if gibson is assured as many note he will have to start soon. I think he will improve our defensive play as his pedigree is so good in comparison to our other centre halves.

EMI certainly starts, still our best player and today you just need him on the ball to unlock these defenses.

Placheta needs game time and I think his crossing was pretty good today. He is new and not many clubs will have much on him yet.

Pukki and Idah together, possibly. You can have EMI and Placheta wide and Idah more central switching. May be interesting. But think if EMI is in your starting line up farke will stick with pukki as a lone striker and then bring Idah on later in the game.

I think skipp will be fine, tettey will give some experience but I would keep with Skipp for now. He certainly has a good drive and can create so maybe him and Tettey.Ā 

But EMI and Gibson are 2 players I would like to see for the bouremouth game.

• Like 1

I donā€™t think we can play Skipp and McClean, both sit so deep and neither really moveĀ the ball quick enough. Would like to see Placheta and Idah start they have an enthusiasm which lifts the team. No doubt weā€™re missing Buendia so hope heā€™s back next weekend.

With two holding midfielders weā€™re inviting pressure and giving away midfield ground which made Preston look better than they really are. Both Skipp and McClean need to be 10 yards higher when we get possession Ā to give our defenders space to play also they need to pick up the runners when we donā€™t have the ball.

Edited by Indy

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Why would we show the door to our best central midfielder?

If he's considered our best central midfield then that displays the problem

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

What happened to our passing game ?Ā 

I agree. We don't seem to have the same control as we used to.Ā 

Hopefully it is just a case of settling down and getting into a rhythm.

Just now, Indy said:

I donā€™t think we can play Skipp and McClean, both sit so deep and neither really made the ball quick enough. Would like to see Placheta and Idah start they have an enthusiasm which lifts the team. No doubt weā€™re missing Buendia so hope heā€™s back next weekend.

With two holding midfielders weā€™re inviting pressure and giving away midfield ground which made Preston look better than they really are. Both Skipp and McClean need to be 10 yards higher when we get possession Ā to give our defenders space to play also they need to pick up the runners when we donā€™t have the ball.

It's really fair with the points on 2 defensive midfielders

Today we sat off, never won a second ball and if you have 2 defensive midfielders I want them snapping at heels and winning second balls.

So i think it is tactical instructions that are needed there. We are all know how teams in the prem and elsewhere challenge to get the ball back that is what we need more from that position but we do invite pressure.

I can see with the two playing further forward they will have success, but if a better creative midfielder with a bit of an engine is available then we could get them. We have a bit of cash and that type of commanding tempo style player could add something more.

I have no problem with 2 more defensive minded players if they are allowed to snap at heels and be disruptive, certainly with the attacking players we have. But think at the moment we are still working this pairing out and also how we want them to protect the back 4. Personally not winning second balls and sitting back is not the way I think we build a team for a promotion push and think that is the tactical change we need to make.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

I donā€™t think we can play Skipp and McClean, both sit so deep and neither really made the ball quick enough. Would like to see Placheta and Idah start they have an enthusiasm which lifts the team. No doubt weā€™re missing Buendia so hope heā€™s back next weekend.

I would agree thatā€™s how it was first half. Farke clearly addressed this at half time as second half, McLean (and Skipp towards the end if the game) was noticeably pushingĀ higher up.Ā 
Ā 

Another issue is the importance of the no10. Stiepermann was excellent at linking midfield to attack 2 seasons ago and allowed Leitner to sit deeper and dictate the tempo (in roughly the same position McLean was sitting in today in the first half). Cantwell was too advanced and not involved enough imo.

If we are good enough then in a lower division, why are we still playing two holding midfield players?

Why are we sacrificing attack to assume we are bolstering the back four which is still not good enough?

When will we stop playing it out from the back all the the time? It is not a crime to put your foot through it now and again.

Clearly we are better attacking than defending so get that extra man either up front or as the No 10.

Ā 

• Like 2