Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

NCFC v Preston Matchday Thread

4 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

As much as Skipp and didn’t give away a stupid penalty

but carry on...

What has that got to do with McLean's contribution ?

Positives in that we can fight back from behind to get points.

Negatives in that we seem to have the same issues defensively as before.

A point apiece is a fair result. Good game to acclimatise the players back to the Champs after Huddersfield we’re pretty poor last week and didn’t really threaten much. Hopefully Buendia back next game and we can jig things about a bit. Cantwell didn’t have a great game, Dowell possibly injured for a bit, Placheta now deserves a start, Onel could be dropped. Pukki looks sharp and that is encouraging.

Fantastic save from Rudd at the end.. brilliant play from Idah, Placheta and then Pukki. A draw probably the fair result but if you take the extremely soft penalty (it wasn’t a pen) out of the equation Preston didn’t do a great deal for all their good work in the first half. Placheta’s miss was a shocker, glad he got to make amends in the end. 

Another day we’d have edged that one I think! 

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

...and I’m not saying Mclean has been amazing but come on, the scapegoating is pathetic

Sorry if it seems I'm making him a scapegoat. But I am one of the fans who do question what he brings to the side, every week. It's not a completely his fault. I'm just saying I don't see what he brings to the side, as a starter.

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

How did Max play with all the distractions?

Seemed in a mood to try and score a worldy. Preston doubled up on him all game but he linked up well with Onel. Inventive.

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

...and I’m not saying Mclean has been amazing but come on, the scapegoating is pathetic

Well, Rupp's not playing so the haters have to find someone to have a go at.

Mind you, if Onel doesn't buck his ideas up, Todd may find a rival in the scapegoat hair-do crown.

• Like 1

Good fight against a very good championship side.  The sight of Idah charging forwards fromn our penalty box, his pass to Placheta and his cross to Pukki and his shot well saved was the highlight of the match. Quality.

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I'm no McLean fan, but agree, there were plenty worse than him today, Skipp and Zimmermann for starters. 

Unconvincing but it's a point and you can really see we have yet to settle and have an identity. Like the promotion season before strangely (were we not 4th from bottom after 4 or 5 games). This time we will start to see how we might develop as a team after our first 5 games.

OTBC

We played an average mid table side without their two best players who had a game midweek and haven't made any signings this summer and we were second best throughout in every aspect. 

They passed the ball better than we could, created better chances, fought harder, showed much more determination and energy, defended in numbers, used the ball smartly and overall in my opinion looked a much better team than we are.

Very worrying again. This is the poorest football we've played under Farke since his first season. We're supposed to be a passing, attacking team but we can't keep the ball, especially when under any pressure and rarely create any clear cut chances. We're in for a hard season imo.

The result isn’t the main thing for me. It’s that we’ve failed to learn our lessons again. Our setup is not good enough. Gibson needs to play. Skipp is an upgrade on trybull but McLean is anonymous. Get the base correct and we’ll do well. Preston are such an ordinary side but by being such a physically weak side we always look vulnerable. Credit for battling on but I’m not impressed.  

5 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

What has that got to do with McLean's contribution ?

Comparing him to the closest equivalent we had on the pitch. When you single out one players contribution, you’re inferring he was weaker than the majority, if not the entire team. My point being, he was far from the weakest and criticism would be better directed elsewhere.

Mcleans contribution was some good interceptions, some tidy passing. Rode his luck at times, a free kick or two conceded unnecessarily but got forward well in the second half and almost created in the penalty area as a result.

No one played particularly well today. The last move was the best of the whole game, yet we still somehow managed to almost let them get a one on one in our own penalty box. Our back four are really not very good, even at this level.

A draw is a fair result but even at this early stage you want a bit more of our quality to show. 

There was no link through our central midfield today and pukki had 3 chances one in the 95th. Rudd did not need to make a save in the first half other than his assist for pukkis goal.

Aaron's and Idah played very well today. Few others finding their feet, but those who have been in the team during the championship winning season and last year need to show their quality.

I would say we need a real assured player in the midfield who can dictate the play. We were chasing a lot of shadows and could not build too much.

Roll on next week and I hope we are still looking for someone to come into our first 11 as a goalscoring, creative central midfielder may be needed

3 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We played an average mid table side without their two best players who had a game midweek and haven't made any signings this summer and we were second best throughout in every aspect. 

They passed the ball better than we could, created better chances, fought harder, showed much more determination and energy, defended in numbers, used the ball smartly and overall in my opinion looked a much better team than we are.

Very worrying again. This is the poorest football we've played under Farke since his first season. We're supposed to be a passing, attacking team but we can't keep the ball, especially when under any pressure and rarely create any clear cut chances. We're in for a hard season imo.

Yeah but if we can play "so poorly so awfuly worst ever" and still get a point then isnt that a good thing in a way?

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Comparing him to the closest equivalent we had on the pitch. When you single out one players contribution, you’re inferring he was weaker than the majority, if not the entire team. My point being, he was far from the weakest and criticism would be better directed elsewhere.

Mcleans contribution was some good interceptions, some tidy passing. Rode his luck at times, a free kick or two conceded unnecessarily but got forward well in the second half and almost created in the penalty area as a result.

Sorry to disagree but I think McLean is a massive problem for us.