Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

2 bids turned down for Max.... FROM BARCELONA

27 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Let me get get this right, he was released by luton, spent few years with us, now Barca and Bayern are sniffing around.

And to think people slate our scouting / development / signings.

Thiago to Liverpool £20 million, Aaron’s to Barca £35 million what am I missing ?.

To be fair however loyal you are to the club where you made it i would be expecting Aaron’s to be kicking down Webber’s door if we stopped him going to Barca, even the likes of Suarez had to work their way to those heights. 

33 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Let me get get this right, he was released by luton, spent few years with us, now Barca and Bayern are sniffing around.

And this is exactly why Daniel Farke should be treasured. There are not many managers out there that would trust young players in a first team environment the way he does.

if we still had the likes of Chris Hughton or Alex Neil I wouldn’t mind betting players like Aarons and Cantwell would still be on loan in the Scottish premiership or something. Maddison would be somewhere like Rotherham.

tge way Farke is willing to trust and develop you is incredible in my opinion and it pays off. Any up and coming youngster will as a result choose us over our competitors I’m sure as they can see a clear pathway. 

long may this approach continue

• Like 17

Let’s assume for a second that we entertain this, That the bid is genuine, £20 plus add-one and Max wants to go (I mean, he will). Who could we potentially get in to replace him? We can’t go with Mumba and Byram so how much would a RB of the same quality cost us?

9 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Let’s assume for a second that we entertain this, That the bid is genuine, £20 plus add-one and Max wants to go (I mean, he will). Who could we potentially get in to replace him? We can’t go with Mumba and Byram so how much would a RB of the same quality cost us?

We wouldn't be able to attract a player of the same quality.

The question is: who is the best right-back we could attract for a sensible fee?

As mentioned on the other thread, City don't look to be playing hardball but warning Barca not to treat us like mugs. Well that's my view anyway.

10 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Depends what we are willing to spend, I’d imagine the club would spend around a tenth of what they get for Max tops. 

I would want more than £20m for the guy but considering it's Barcelona and what that move could do for the reputation of our academy I'd probably begrudgingly accept roughly that amount. However a season long loan with a modest fee where we could lose out if he doesn't play and no obligation to buy afterwards? No chance. I'd rather save the 2-3m and keep an unhappy player tbh

Barca offer 25mil, even 20mil plus add ons, I think you have to take it. Like it or not, youngsters will see us as a stepping stone (and the same can be said for pretty much every club other than the very biggest in the world). If you stop youngsters going to clubs like Barca if they get the chance, then other youngsters think twice before joining you.

A loan and all that though sounds a bit ridiculous and rightly we should only sell for the right price. But if it’s “about right” and it’s Barca, you let him go imo. More so than if it’s “about right” and it’s Newcastle or Everton or someone like that. Who doesn’t dream of playing for Barca?? 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Depends what we are willing to spend, I’d imagine the club would spend around a tenth of what they get for Max tops. 

Have you noticed how much we have spent/how many players were have brought in so far? Not to mention that we are hardly going to need to spend more than £2m at most for any right back who is willing to play in the Championship and accept Championship wages.

• Like 1

Well if nothing else, that’s just added an extra few quid on his value.

Be interesting to see if he’s in the squad today.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I think Mumba would be next man up to be honest. They'll bring in someone to compete given Byram's injury but I'd expect Mumba to have a fair crack at making that his own. Not to say he would be able to do it, but he is 19 in two weeks - he's only 18months younger than Aarons.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Is Rupp not a right back ? Or at least cover ?

For a quarter of £20 million we could sign a high quality RB I would suspect. Short term this maybe good ie getting us straight back up, of course long term we may need to replace again, but also long term by seeing these youngsters move to the top those of promise and ambition will see our club as the place to be. One day we may get established and then we can finish the job, rather than allow others to finish the job.

We are victims of our own success regards these kids as there is no way we can stop them when offers like this come in. It also became apparent last week how these kids also need bigger clubs. I for one thought Lewis, that’s a result for us, but I must say playing for Newcastle last week he looked every part a Premier League full back, and I must admit I maybe got it wrong.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

No smoke without fire, massive opportunity for the young lad, would be a shame but surely we can’t stop him going

Smoke grenade 😁

Edited by scoop
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

And this is exactly why Daniel Farke should be treasured. There are not many managers out there that would trust young players in a first team environment the way he does.

if we still had the likes of Chris Hughton or Alex Neil I wouldn’t mind betting players like Aarons and Cantwell would still be on loan in the Scottish premiership or something. Maddison would be somewhere like Rotherham.

tge way Farke is willing to trust and develop you is incredible in my opinion and it pays off. Any up and coming youngster will as a result choose us over our competitors I’m sure as they can see a clear pathway. 

long may this approach continue

Whilst I agree that recent managers may not have trusted the young players as much as Farke, to say .................'he should be treasured' is somewhat OTT. So the teams record since January in the PL season was nought to do with Farke then? From restart it was the worst run in the club's history and embarrassingly so.  At most other clubs Mr. Farke would have been returned to sender. 

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

And to think people slate our scouting / development / signings.

Thiago to Liverpool £20 million, Aaron’s to Barca £35 million what am I missing ?.

To be fair however loyal you are to the club where you made it i would be expecting Aaron’s to be kicking down Webber’s door if we stopped him going to Barca, even the likes of Suarez had to work their way to those heights. 

About a difference of £100k pw in salary and any future sell on value. 

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Have you noticed how much we have spent/how many players were have brought in so far? Not to mention that we are hardly going to need to spend more than £2m at most for any right back who is willing to play in the Championship and accept Championship wages.

Maybe we’ve spent the Lewis money? Was always going to be more than one star player leaving so we’ve hardly bust the bank so far. 

6 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

About a difference of £100k pw in salary and any future sell on value. 

Agreed... Thiago also out of contract in 2021 and is 29. Bayern’s point of view you risk losing him next year on a free and even if he extends, 30 and onwards there are question marks about whether/how long he can carry on at the very top. Aarons’ contracted until 2024 I think, much younger and, frankly, even if he flops at Barca, they’d be able to sell him in two years for probably not a lot less anyway.

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Maybe we’ve spent the Lewis money? Was always going to be more than one star player leaving so we’ve hardly bust the bank so far. 

I get the impression (I may be wrong, of course) you are not factoring in the need to make at least one money-spinning sale to make up for the large amount of budgeted income missing from last season and potentially from this.

"Transfer expert David Ornstein claims that the youngster’s representatives had already agreed personal terms with the five-time European champions"

How can this happen if the clubs haven't agreed a transfer fee, surely it's illegal?

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I get the impression (I may be wrong, of course) you are not factoring in the need to make at least one money-spinning sale to make up for the large amount of budgeted income missing from last season and potentially from this.

So if we end up only selling one more player of major worth that’s covers all factors and leaves a surplus I guess.