Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

2 bids turned down for Max.... FROM BARCELONA

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It will be a huge part of the reason why Rakuten pay £47m a year to have their name on the front of them though! 

So my point was that Barcelona are not exactly broke, whatever Man City were or weren't prepared to pay for Messi. For them to be apparently baulking over £5m, £10m or £20m is not because they can't afford to pay, so it might be because they don't want to pay or think they can bully us because we're not a big club. Barcelona buys quite a few youngsters every year.

At a £5m loan fee for season, I doubt that Aarons would get anywhere near their first team, and having to buy him after a season for another £15m if he doesn't break through is probably not an option they want to agree to.

55 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Webber came to this club to try and make us an established PL team. Due to us not being financially strong, he hasn’t been able to spend much, so has mainly looked for cheap players that look like they will turn out really well. The majority have been good signings, although a few have failed.

Despite going straight back down last season promotion was a bonus for us as most of our players got some PL experience, something that very few had when we went up and is a key asset for PL survival. As we have no need to sell we need to try and keep all our key players from last season as their PL experience could seriously help us out in our bid to bounce straight back this season, and if we do manage to bounce back it would increase our chances of survival next season.

To all the big clubs that were heavily hit by Covid-19, it’s your own fault for making ridiculous transfer bids and offering ridiculous wages to players, and in my opinion if one of the biggest clubs in the world that does this kind of thing thinks that a very young defender from a Championship team with the worst defensive record last season really is good enough for them, then Aarons must surely be worth at least £50m, not £20m + £10m add ons

None of the players we have sold or look like selling are Webber purchases though, unless Buendia goes - surely more credit is due to Farke for playing Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell and making them look good enough to attract these bids.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I agree. Liverpool offering £8m for Jamal was taking the p*ss, and we told them where to go despite them being the PL champions.

If Webber can negotiate an 'obligation to buy' clause, that would be brilliant. If he can't, £5m for a one-season loan, exposing one of our assets to some of the world's greatest players and coaches, is a risk worth taking in my opinion. If you disagree, I respect that.

Gotta say, I disagree here, and if you've ever read Garry Nelson's excellent book Left Foot in the Grave, he pointed out something similar when Rodney Jack was playing for Torquay United. It wasn't entirely uncommon for bigger clubs to ask for players at lower division clubs to go on loan/trial to see if they could make the leap, but as Nelson said, it also runs the risk of instantly devaluing an asset. It might be a case of "Barcelona had him over, but didn't reckon him".

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

None of the players we have sold or look like selling are Webber purchases though, unless Buendia goes - surely more credit is due to Farke for playing Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell and making them look good enough to attract these bids.

But Webber did bring Farke in!    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

At a £5m loan fee for season, I doubt that Aarons would get anywhere near their first team, and having to buy him after a season for another £15m if he doesn't break through is probably not an option they want to agree to.

If that was the case, then it would beg the question why Ronald Koeman even remotely wants him? It doesn’t make sense.

I would think Timmy Krul has been sounded out by Koeman regarding Max for as long as he’s been interested, that’s almost a certainty. Barcelona need a massive overhaul, and Koeman knows it - I think if Max were ever to have a chance of getting near the first team then that time would be now.

4 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

How are they not buying Aarons if they've agreed a five year deal with him?

that's a great point actually!

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

that's a great point actually!

I should imagine that conversation with his agent lasted about 2 minutes and consisted of “would you like to sign for Barcelona and double your wages?” “Yes”

On 19/09/2020 at 15:08, PurpleCanary said:

Icecream Snow:

Michael Bailey was given some numbers as part of his end of season piece in the Athletic , and had said that the projected shortfall was £20m, £15m from last season and a provision of £5m with the expectation that crowds wouldn't be allowed into Carrow Road before January.

---

Thanks. That £5m figure for this season looks like simply halving the usual income from ticket sales without taking account of the loss of the linked income from catering and commercial. But in any event the club really has to budget on the basis that the whole season will be in effect played behind closed doors.

Or at least now until the end of March.

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes but here are the best/worst case scenarios:

Best case scenario:

- Aarons plays the full season as first choice right back

- Aarons improves as a player

- Aarons plays well and boosts his profile and price

- Barca have a good season under Koeman, winning a trophy and at least challenge for the title

- Aarons gains Champions League experience

- Aarons gets selected for England - with the potential to get a call up for the Euros

- Norwich get promoted again and MA (happily) slots right back in our team

Worst case scenario:

- Aarons plays backup and doesn't play at all

- Barca have a shocking year

- Aarons suffers a serious injury

Assuming the latest reports are true, five million for a season long loan isn't too bad. Especially when you consider that we could, if things go well, sell him for another 30+ million the season after. 

A couple of things of note:

- Norwich will rightly want assurances of game time. I think I'm right in saying that Barca also have Sergi Roberto for competition, who switched between RB and CM last season.

- Koeman is a good manager. Whilst the club seem in disarray, he will still have them challenging.

- Aarons could easily stay here and get a serious injury.

All in all, whilst it could work well for all parties, it is a risk to loan him out without guarantees to buy him outright. As he proved with the Liverpool/Lewis saga, I'm sure Webber will do what's best for the club.

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I should imagine that conversation with his agent lasted about 2 minutes and consisted of “would you like to sign for Barcelona and double your wages?” “Yes”

But yes it is a good point. If they are offering a loan with no obligation to buy then why/how would he have agreed a five year deal as is claimed. 

Some Spanish press reporting that Barcelona have agreed a deal with Ajax for Sergio Dest (also a right back) which could see the end of their pursuit of Aarons. Although as Barcelona currently have zero right backs with Semedo going to Wolves they could possibly still want two.

As for 'how have Barcelona agreed a deal with Aarons if it is only a loan?' It seems the proposed loan has an option to buy at the end of the season (not an obligation to buy). If there is an option to buy, the loaning club and player will agree terms at the beginning of the loan, that will then kick in once the option is activated. On top of that, Aarons would probably receive an additional salary from Barcelona while on loan, so he doesn't lose out financially by going there on loan as opposed to going to another club on a permanent deal.

8 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

According to my dad (not a very reliable source!) he’s gone to Barcelona on a five year contract, in Spanish news this morning?

That's great news Canary Jedi.

If it's true Barcelona have signed your Dad for 5 years instead of Max, we can all breath a little easier.  

• Haha 8

Several news sources are reporting that discussions are ongoing and also say that Barca has agreed personal terms with Max. Not sure how you agree personal terms when a loan is involved. 

So basically we are still exactly where we were on Saturday, Barcelona want a loan (though might be willing to pay what a replacement would cost) and in a shocking development a young exciting player has agreed that he would be willing to make the move to play champions league football for one of the biggest clubs in history. 

This is really becoming one of those ones that could rumble on, long after any actual interest has gone and that could actually be quite disruptive. The extra scrutiny on Max's performances could become unwelcome, as every misplaced pass of run not made is the immediately an indication he is upset and doesn't want to be here. One way or another I hope this is resolved before the weekend.

I preferred it when our players weren’t linked with global superstar clubs keen to exploit their status to bully us into cheap sales or loans. They don’t have much integrity really do they. 

I’ll put money on it that the moment he moves to Barcelona, he gets called up by Southgate into the England seniors. Although TAA is rightly first choice currently, Max has better stats in some areas so he’s not a million miles off.

I’m sure Webber will be adding this factor in with the add on’s that we will surely be demanding. 

10 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I see your point there - they’re from the Academy, some from other clubs at an early age. Maybe I should mentioned that when in the area about spending

13 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I agree. Liverpool offering £8m for Jamal was taking the p*ss, and we told them where to go despite them being the PL champions.

If Webber can negotiate an 'obligation to buy' clause, that would be brilliant. If he can't, £5m for a one-season loan, exposing one of our assets to some of the world's greatest players and coaches, is a risk worth taking in my opinion. If you disagree, I respect that.

Yes, but... we need some sort of insurance in case of the downsides that someone listed above. If he gets injured seriously, we are at least £15 million down.

2 hours ago, East Rider said:

If it's true Barcelona have signed your Dad for 5 years instead of Max, we can all breath a little easier.  

I thought Jedi's dad played on the left?

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I preferred it when our players weren’t linked with global superstar clubs keen to exploit their status to bully us into cheap sales or loans. They don’t have much integrity really do they. 

I want to agree with you,  but then I wonder how the smaller clubs we buy from see our negotiations? Like Luton when we got Max from them.

Edited by Nuff Said

3 hours ago, East Rider said:

Haha, he is in his late 70s but can still probably out-pace Klose!

• Haha 1

Barca have agreed a deal for Dest. looks like Aarons interest is over. Maybe Bayern will come in for him.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Barca have agreed a deal for Dest. looks like Aarons interest is over. Maybe Bayern will come in for him.

If this is how it plays out, what will be irritating is that we will no doubt be accused of blocking his move or holding him back just because we didn;t allow our pants to be pulled down. When in reality Barcelona will be the ones who will have used the player to get their other target (or get him on the cheap).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

If this is how it plays out, what will be irritating is that we will no doubt be accused of blocking his move or holding him back just because we didn;t allow our pants to be pulled down. When in reality Barcelona will be the ones who will have used the player to get their other target (or get him on the cheap).

yep! looks like Barca are using Aarons in the same way that Liverpool used Lewis to get their real target for a cheaper price.

Situation is made confusing by all the rumours floating around...even the Pink Uns recent  report is long winded, but at the very bottom of that report is the part that could suffice for all the rumours as we know it....

Both Barca and Bayern have for quite a while had an interest in either /or Dest from Ajax and Max at City. In Barca's case they needed the funds to get either by selling their RB Semedo...that has now happened as Wolves have bought him. Now everyone waits for the next chapter.

Does seem that the first bit of the ‘puzzle’ - the guy going to Wolves - has fallen into place.  Perhaps it is just now a matter of which of Max and Dest ends up at Bayern and Barca?  Tbh, Bayern is head and shoulders the better side right now and links with English/German clubs are pretty strong, so could be a better bet for Max.

The problem then is, who we get in to replace him.