Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

2 bids turned down for Max.... FROM BARCELONA

30 minutes ago, WD40 said:

The tweet from Gaffney I posted above (no idea if he is reliable) says there IS an obligation to buy. 

Why we would do that when we can surely get money up front from another buyer I don’t know. 

maybe we feel that we have enough operating cash right now, but more, guaranteed down the line is a good option.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This from Guillem Balagué (Google Translated from Spanish):

Barça agrees with Max Aarons five years of contract
Full-back Max Aarons wants to wear a blaugrana and would go on loan even if there is no mandatory purchase option
Aarons met Ronald Koeman in Liverpool, at a Norwich league game.
Bayern have clearly taken the lead over Barcelona regarding the signing of Dest. The greater economic power of the Germans allows them to accept the conditions of Ajax  more easily (they would pay the entire transfer this summer).

Given this, Max Aarons once again becomes the Blaugrana's preferred option. Barcelona, who first contacted Norwich two weeks ago, already have a five-year agreement with the footballer.

BLAUGRANA PREFERENCE
SPORT yesterday published a photo of Aarons at the age of seven dressed in the Barcelona shirt, in a clear example of the preferences of the young full-back, who wants to wear a Blaugrana and would go on loan even if there is no mandatory purchase option.

Norwich rejected the offer that came to them on Friday of a loan without obligation,  but would accept a loan and the purchase next summer to pay for two seasons, or even more . The English club asks for 20 million pounds and 10 more in variables, but would accept less.

Aarons met Ronald Koeman in Liverpool, at a Norwich league game where he started. At the end of the match, they crossed paths and Koeman commented that he was impressed with the potential of the English footballer.

In fact, if his preference has been Sergiño Dest, it is because he knows him more and has seen him more times. If the American ends up at Bayern, the sports management could make Max Aarons the first option again, as it was before the arrival of the Dutch coach.

GOOD PERFORMANCE IN THE PREMIER
Last season he played 36 full league games. Max Aarons has played more minutes in the league than any other winger under the age of 20 in the major European leagues.

In fact, he has been more on the pitch than Wan-Bissaka, Renan Lodi, Alphonso Davies or Reece James. He covered more distance than Tren Alexander Arnold in addition to doing more high intensity runs and sprints. He dribbles well 1.3 times per game and his passing accuracy in the last third is one of the highest among the full-backs in the Premier.

Based on those stats 20+10 seems cheap considering how much wan bissaka, James and TAA are valued at.

3 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Weakens their position because it is improper contact between Barcelona and Max? I don’t know - I’m sure now Max wants this to go ahead and we’re the ones in the tough position. 

54 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not gone yet.

Barca are still only offering a loan deal with no obligation it seems. Norwich won't accept that (unless there is a huge loan fee of course).

Seems Max has agreed a deal, but that does not in any way mean Norwich and Barca will come to an agreement.

Would be business suicide to loan out one of your best players in a team wanting to go back up again at the first time of asking and not have any kind of obligation so there is guaranteed money. If if the loan fee was a few million it wouldn't be worth it surely 🤷‍♂️

On 21/09/2020 at 14:37, A Load of Squit said:

He's been planning this for years. 😀

can't believe some journos are taking Aarons in a barca kit when he was a kid like he's a lifelong fan... in that case, I'm a lifelong Norwich, Milan, Fiorentina, Inter, Juve, Barca, Brazil and England fan...

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Would be business suicide to loan out one of your best players in a team wanting to go back up again at the first time of asking and not have any kind of obligation so there is guaranteed money. If if the loan fee was a few million it wouldn't be worth it surely 🤷‍♂️

the only positive I can see is that if there is no set fee and somehow Covid is suppressed as a problem by next year, we could end up being able to demand silly money for him. Just sounds like we are being bullied by them though. Hope Webber manages to stand tall and at least get us a fair deal.

I'm trying to find the article that mentioned Spanish transfers in are being taxed 100% of the fee in response to covid. It would explain why we have a crazy loan offer. 

Regardless, this must happen for the good of the club and I'm sure it will. Simple too much damage will be done done if it does not.  Best of luck Maximilian, go play with the big boys! 

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Based on those stats 20+10 seems cheap considering how much wan bissaka, James and TAA are valued at.

TAA is on a totally different planet to any of those players. Reece James is at a very rich club that don't need to sell. Wan-Bissaka was a big outlier even in the pre-Covid marketplace, plus he was at a PL club, but he's probably the best precedent to suggest that Aarons is worth more.

Barcelona are in a parlous financial situation right now, and with a presidential election looming and an ageing squad (not to mention Covid-19), they're going to need a big cash injection from somewhere if they're going to spend big any time soon. Unless another big suitor comes in and a bidding war commences, I think 20+10 is round about where we're heading.

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

TAA is on a totally different planet to any of those players. Reece James is at a very rich club that don't need to sell. Wan-Bissaka was a big outlier even in the pre-Covid marketplace, plus he was at a PL club, but he's probably the best precedent to suggest that Aarons is worth more.

Barcelona are in a parlous financial situation right now, and with a presidential election looming and an ageing squad (not to mention Covid-19), they're going to need a big cash injection from somewhere if they're going to spend big any time soon. Unless another big suitor comes in and a bidding war commences, I think 20+10 is round about where we're heading.

It's all of this plus the fact that Max isn't as good as any of them, despite them all being different players.

1 hour ago, repman said:

It's all of this plus the fact that Max isn't as good as any of them, despite them all being different players.

I'd disagree with that in the case of Reece James, I'd rather have Max tbh.

Wan-Bissaka has the extra strength and physicality Max doesn't have but I do feel Max is a smarter player and better with his close control and movement, and TAA is a different kettle of fish altogether.

I'd absolutely consider him in the top 5 of English RB's right now, and our asking price should reflect this as well as his genuine potential.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

can't believe some journos are taking Aarons in a barca kit when he was a kid like he's a lifelong fan... in that case, I'm a lifelong Norwich, Milan, Fiorentina, Inter, Juve, Barca, Brazil and England fan...

And also fickle and/or indecisive. Are you a Libran by any chance?🤓

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And also fickle and/or indecisive. Are you a Libran by any chance?🤓

😆 thats why my favourite player was George Weah for a while! That was before we signed Ashley Ward...

A lot of knock off shirts came my way when my dad came back from business trips over that neck of the woods! I felt a bit cooler turning up to footy training with Weah or Batistuta on my back than Llewellyn or Carey!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

Weakens their position because it is improper contact between Barcelona and Max? I don’t know - I’m sure now Max wants this to go ahead and we’re the ones in the tough position. 

Most players have it written into their contracts that they can discuss personal terms with other clubs, as long as they notify their parent club that this is happening. 

This is the sort of move you obviously can’t begrudge a player IF they offer the going rate. I will not, however, be impressed if Max is complicit in Barca trying to force us into some sort of cheapo loan arrangement which is not in our interests. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This is the sort of move you obviously can’t begrudge a player IF they offer the going rate. I will not, however, be impressed if Max is complicit in Barca trying to force us into some sort of cheapo loan arrangement which is not in our interests. 

It would only be human for Max to put himself before Norwich at the moment. Barcelona is a once in lifetime thing for him most likely and I can see him doing everything possible to make it happen and it would be hard to blame him for doing so. 

The Telegraph are suggesting that there would be a £5m loan fee just for this season - even without an obligation to buy, that comes across not an awful deal for Norwich. If Aarons returns after a season and Barcelona don't want him, he still have considerable value.

• Thanks 1

Like several others, I'd be happy to see Max Aarons move to Barcelona. It would be very satisfying to see one of our academy products signed by one of the two biggest clubs in the world.

However, we'd need to replace him with a regular starter at right back, and I'd still like to see a left back come in as we've only got one left. I'm not sure how much spare cash we have sloshing around, but I'd like us to make sure we get enough in now to cover those two positions (although we may still sell Buendia of course, which would finance those incomings).

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It would only be human for Max to put himself before Norwich at the moment. Barcelona is a once in lifetime thing for him most likely and I can see him doing everything possible to make it happen and it would be hard to blame him for doing so. 

The Telegraph are suggesting that there would be a £5m loan fee just for this season - even without an obligation to buy, that comes across not an awful deal for Norwich. If Aarons returns after a season and Barcelona don't want him, he still have considerable value.

be ****ed if he does his ACL or something but might actually work out well if the market has gone back to pre pandemic levels by next year. If there is an option to buy, I hope we make it a massive fee as mitigation for them messing us around this summer.

Be nice if they could send us a couple of their youth players like Pedri or Moriba for the season as a sweetener 😉

Either way, what an incredible chance for Max to impress!

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

be ****ed if he does his ACL or something but might actually work out well if the market has gone back to pre pandemic levels by next year. If there is an option to buy, I hope we make it a massive fee as mitigation for them messing us around this summer.

Be nice if they could send us a couple of their youth players like Pedri or Moriba for the season as a sweetener 😉

Either way, what an incredible chance for Max to impress!

Even if he did his ACL I don't think Norwich would be entirely screwed in the deal. He'd still have 3 years left on his contract at the beginning of next season and would probably retain a good portion of his value. On the flip side if he has a great season and there is no fixed price in the deal, Norwich could then potentially sell him for £50m to Man City!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Most players have it written into their contracts that they can discuss personal terms with other clubs, as long as they notify their parent club that this is happening. 

So how does that sit with the illegal approach rule?    Or does it not apply anymore.     Always understood the club had to give permission for terms to be discussed unless in last 6 months.    

That seems like an illegal approach.   Why would we allow a situation that enables our players to become unsettled so easily?  

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

But by then we may have missed out on promotion and the potential £100m plus.   A £5m loan fee is in no way acceptable.   Plus Max will have a year less on his contract.     Also, playing for Barca is not easy, the system, the pressure, their generally poor / ageing defence and slow midfield, Max may not take to it and what if he struggles and his value drops as a result.   Has to be his value in cash or sadly he stays with us.    £30m has to be a bare minimum also!    

Seems even our own fans have a little op’ Norwich mentality.    Why are Barcelona (my second favourite team by the way), able to take our player on the cheap just because it’s them and an opportunity Max should be alllowed to take up?

• Like 1

Whatever happens, he'll go. If Barcelona don't budge, we'll have to accept £5m for the season and hope that he gets game time and possibly even England caps. Our whole model is predicated on producing attractive young talent, and sometimes the corollary of that is that your hand is going to be forced. If we play hardball and deny Max a move to Barcelona, how will that reflect on other youngsters looking at Norwich as a destination? If Webber can negotiate an obligation to buy then fantastic, but one way or another we have to sanction this move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

But by then we may have missed out on promotion and the potential £100m plus.   A £5m loan fee is in no way acceptable.   Plus Max will have a year less on his contract.     Also, playing for Barca is not easy, the system, the pressure, their generally poor / ageing defence and slow midfield, Max may not take to it and what if he struggles and his value drops as a result.   Has to be his value in cash or sadly he stays with us.    £30m has to be a bare minimum also!    

Seems even our own fans have a little op’ Norwich mentality.    Why are Barcelona (my second favourite team by the way), able to take our player on the cheap just because it’s them and an opportunity Max should be alllowed to take up?

Literally just posted the exact opposite of this! 🙂

I don't have a 'little old Norwich' attitude; we're talking about probably the most iconic football club on the planet here. If we stick to our guns and deny Max the chance to play for Barcelona, it could irreparably damage not just our relationship with him, but also the attractiveness of our academy in general.

We're not 'little old Norwich', but we're not one of the apex predators in the transfer market either, so we have to be realistic.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Whatever happens, he'll go. If Barcelona don't budge, we'll have to accept £5m for the season and hope that he gets game time and possibly even England caps. Our whole model is predicated on producing attractive young talent, and sometimes the corollary of that is that your hand is going to be forced. If we play hardball and deny Max a move to Barcelona, how will that reflect on other youngsters looking at Norwich as a destination? If Webber can negotiate an obligation to buy then fantastic, but one way or another we have to sanction this move.

I see your point and I agree, to an extent. However, the deal still has to be right for us. I agree that we would be more likely for a reduced deal in this situation, but that does not mean we have to or should accept something that is a poor deal. It's like the Lewis and Liverpool situation, if it is a poor deal it is both an insult to the player and to us. He should also understand that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It’s a really sh*t deal for Norwich and we must not consider such a deal. 

I am the only person who can’t believe the Max Aarons would play 1 second of football at his current level of ability for Barcelona. They want him on loan!  I don’t get it at all. 
Miles away from being a top league fullback at present let alone a top European team fullback.

7 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I see your point and I agree, to an extent. However, the deal still has to be right for us. I agree that we would be more likely for a reduced deal in this situation, but that does not mean we have to or should accept something that is a poor deal. It's like the Lewis and Liverpool situation, if it is a poor deal it is both an insult to the player and to us. He should also understand that.

The Lewis and Liverpool thing was handled absolutely correctly. I still think that it'd be folly to deny him that move; if Barcelona were offering £10m for a permanent deal and nothing else, of course we'd tell them where to go. But paying us £5m to give Max a season playing for pretty much the best club in the world in terms of footballing philosophy, with the possibility of him either coming back to us bigger and better or being bought for an astronomical fee in a potentially resurgent market? Sounds like a good deal for all parties to me.

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Literally just posted the exact opposite of this! 🙂

I don't have a 'little old Norwich' attitude; we're talking about probably the most iconic football club on the planet here. If we stick to our guns and deny Max the chance to play for Barcelona, it could irreparably damage not just our relationship with him, but also the attractiveness of our academy in general.

We're not 'little old Norwich', but we're not one of the apex predators in the transfer market either, so we have to be realistic.

Frankly we made him what he is and if he’s so ungrateful he’s prepared to screw us over to get a move then I have no qualms in denying him that move. As it happens I don’t think he is, he seems a good character and I’m sure it can all be sorted out to everyone’s satisfaction.