Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

2 bids turned down for Max.... FROM BARCELONA

On 19/09/2020 at 17:39, Branston Pickle said:

Just connected to this + Liverpool’s “pursuit” of Jamal when they ‘weren’t going to spend this summer’, they seem to have since found c£75m down the back of the sofa/somewhere.  The idea that Barca need to plead poverty to sign a guy on loan from a Championship side is just a little strange.

Particularly when they pay Messi £1m a week and just gave up the chance to sell this 33 year old player to Man City for £100m.....as a football decision maybe understandable; as a business decision completely incompetent.

• Like 1

With the current situation regarding our full backs we can’t sell Aarons until we find a suitable replacement for him, as if he goes now we will have no backup until Byram is fit.

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Particularly when they pay Messi £1m a week and just gave up the chance to sell this 33 year old player to Man City for £100m.....as a football decision maybe understandable; as a business decision completely incompetent.

They pay Messi £52m a year?? If true then I should think I know why they are ‘poor‘

2 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

With the current situation regarding our full backs we can’t sell Aarons until we find a suitable replacement for him, as if he goes now we will have no backup until Byram is fit.

No backup? We would have no actual right back until he's fit? I know Mumba was bought with a plan to play there but I can't believe that would be for first choice for this season.

A Gregg Broughton's spot right? Same as Jamal? So Mr Broughton could have earned us £50m+ this month...and to think we pushed him out?  He's currently at FK Bodo Glimt in Norway.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Is this really aarons or just a kid that looks like him.

I think the picture was originally tweeted by a relative from a family holday in Minorca.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

No backup? We would have no actual right back until he's fit? I know Mumba was bought with a plan to play there but I can't believe that would be for first choice for this season.

What I’m saying is we will have no backup for Mumba

In other words, if Aarons goes tomorrow, Mumba will take his place against Bournemouth but who will replace Mumba against Derby  if he gets injured/suspended against Bournemouth?

35 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

What I’m saying is we will have no backup for Mumba

In other words, if Aarons goes tomorrow, Mumba will take his place against Bournemouth but who will replace Mumba against Derby  if he gets injured/suspended against Bournemouth?

I get that. What I am saying is, I don't believe in anyway that Mumba was  seen as a first choice right back for this season and at very best was seen as a backup (but much more likely third choice), so I'd suggest that if Aarons goes and Byram is injured, we don't have an actual right back, just a few players who 'could do a job' and someone who we intend to turn into a right back longer term.

42 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I get that. What I am saying is, I don't believe in anyway that Mumba was  seen as a first choice right back for this season and at very best was seen as a backup (but much more likely third choice), so I'd suggest that if Aarons goes and Byram is injured, we don't have an actual right back, just a few players who 'could do a job' and someone who we intend to turn into a right back longer term., and if we go straight back up he certainly won’t be in the PL. What I want us to do though is to scout for a good equivalent of Aarons unless they’re not going to sell Aarons at any price. 

Considering his experience, I could also only see him as being backup. It’s just I want us to keep both Aarons and Byram as they have PL experience and can play both right and left. It will be vital to keep as many players from last season as possible, as we currently have a very large squad which could really help us out when you look at the number of midweek fixtures that we have crammed in. With McCallum back out on loan I’m now nervous on Quintilla as well

It’s just I don’t want us to end up having to play someone like Rupp/Stieps as an emergency full back as we need to get the best out of the players this season, and in order to do that you need to play players in their natural positions, not end up having to do something like play a winger as an emergency FB, or a DM as an emergency CB etc

Edited by HazzaJet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

A Gregg Broughton's spot right? Same as Jamal? So Mr Broughton could have earned us £50m+ this month...and to think we pushed him out?  He's currently at FK Bodo Glimt in Norway.

And doing a fantastic jobb. Glimt is my nr 2 team. Think its 16 wins and 2 drows and 0 loss this season. For a team without money. 

And talents, so many 💖💖💖💖

I think this is the first time I have ever wanted Norwich to sell one of our best players. Would be absolutely delighted if he got his move to Barcelona 

33 minutes ago, Rabbit hole said:

I think this is the first time I have ever wanted Norwich to sell one of our best players. Would be absolutely delighted if he got his move to Barcelona 

It would be nice for him.  However, there is no way City can let him go there on loan like suggested.  If he doesn't play much and they send him back at the end of the season then we and him have lost a year of development from playing.  We would also likely have replaced him and be heavy in the RB area.  A permanent move doesn't seem on the cards either.  La Liga has implemented new financial rules that go way beyond FFP.  The word is that Barca needed government money to keep going and the Spanish league have implemented strict new rules that mean they need to bring in cash and reduce their wage bill before they will be able sign players. 

8 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

It would be nice for him.  However, there is no way City can let him go there on loan like suggested.  If he doesn't play much and they send him back at the end of the season then we and him have lost a year of development from playing.  We would also likely have replaced him and be heavy in the RB area.  A permanent move doesn't seem on the cards either.  La Liga has implemented new financial rules that go way beyond FFP.  The word is that Barca needed government money to keep going and the Spanish league have implemented strict new rules that mean they need to bring in cash and reduce their wage bill before they will be able sign players. 

You say that, but training against the likes of Messi etc will certainly aid development.

11 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I think the picture was originally tweeted by a relative from a family holday in Minorca.

Right out of the stalkers handbook 😂

16 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't seem to be able to find any suggestion in the media that Man City ever made a £100m bid for Messi, where have you got that from? 

I can only find a claim by the Spanish media that Man City offered Messi a 100 million euro signing on fee.That office made on the basis that he was free to walk away from his contract with no fee. 

To a club which sells 2 million official replica shirts a year at £70 gross/retail, I'm sure that paying one of the two most famous players in the world £1m a week makes perfect business sense. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't seem to be able to find any suggestion in the media that Man City ever made a £100m bid for Messi, where have you got that from? 

I can only find a claim by the Spanish media that Man City offered Messi a 100 million euro signing on fee.That office made on the basis that he was free to walk away from his contract with no fee. 

To a club which sells 2 million official replica shirts a year at £70 gross/retail, I'm sure that paying one of the two most famous players in the world £1m a week makes perfect business sense. 

Yeah, although from what i've read before clubs get very little from shirt sales in terms of % on their RRP

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, although from what i've read before clubs get very little from shirt sales in terms of % on their RRP

It will be a huge part of the reason why Rakuten pay £47m a year to have their name on the front of them though! 

• Like 1

This from Guillem Balagué (Google Translated from Spanish):

Barça agrees with Max Aarons five years of contract
Full-back Max Aarons wants to wear a blaugrana and would go on loan even if there is no mandatory purchase option
Aarons met Ronald Koeman in Liverpool, at a Norwich league game.
Bayern have clearly taken the lead over Barcelona regarding the signing of Dest. The greater economic power of the Germans allows them to accept the conditions of Ajax  more easily (they would pay the entire transfer this summer).

Given this, Max Aarons once again becomes the Blaugrana's preferred option. Barcelona, who first contacted Norwich two weeks ago, already have a five-year agreement with the footballer.

BLAUGRANA PREFERENCE
SPORT yesterday published a photo of Aarons at the age of seven dressed in the Barcelona shirt, in a clear example of the preferences of the young full-back, who wants to wear a Blaugrana and would go on loan even if there is no mandatory purchase option.

Norwich rejected the offer that came to them on Friday of a loan without obligation,  but would accept a loan and the purchase next summer to pay for two seasons, or even more . The English club asks for 20 million pounds and 10 more in variables, but would accept less.

Aarons met Ronald Koeman in Liverpool, at a Norwich league game where he started. At the end of the match, they crossed paths and Koeman commented that he was impressed with the potential of the English footballer.

In fact, if his preference has been Sergiño Dest, it is because he knows him more and has seen him more times. If the American ends up at Bayern, the sports management could make Max Aarons the first option again, as it was before the arrival of the Dutch coach.

GOOD PERFORMANCE IN THE PREMIER
Last season he played 36 full league games. Max Aarons has played more minutes in the league than any other winger under the age of 20 in the major European leagues.

In fact, he has been more on the pitch than Wan-Bissaka, Renan Lodi, Alphonso Davies or Reece James. He covered more distance than Tren Alexander Arnold in addition to doing more high intensity runs and sprints. He dribbles well 1.3 times per game and his passing accuracy in the last third is one of the highest among the full-backs in the Premier.

The usually reliable Sexy Bennett on twitter says he is going / gone.

Real, real shame. But great for Max and English players generally.

Huge badge of honour for the club. Hope there’s a fee to match. 

Not gone yet.

Barca are still only offering a loan deal with no obligation it seems. Norwich won't accept that (unless there is a huge loan fee of course).

Seems Max has agreed a deal, but that does not in any way mean Norwich and Barca will come to an agreement.

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not gone yet.

Barca are still only offering a loan deal with no obligation it seems. Norwich won't accept that (unless there is a huge loan fee of course).

Seems Max has agreed a deal, but that does not in any way mean Norwich and Barca will come to an agreement.

The tweet from Gaffney I posted above (no idea if he is reliable) says there IS an obligation to buy. 

Why we would do that when we can surely get money up front from another buyer I don’t know. 

Has to be a fee agreed, if he's good enough to play for Barcelona they are basically accepting he is a top player and that requires significant money to change hands. Honestly, deep down I hope they can make it work out.. id rather that then a Newcastle or a Spurs to be honest, and what a huge advert for our club and academy system. But, there MUST be a sizeable fee with add ons.

Obviously he'd be a huge loss but I really hope he gets the move, this would be a amazing and historic transfer.

Of course the transfer as to be financially beneficial for us.

Some how we've gone from being in a really strong position on the fullback front to a absoulte mess.