Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Byram out till January

Shame for him but I hope we finally learn our lesson and never again sign a player with an injury record. Not their fault but Byram and Jarvis must have cost us a fortune. 

More to the point, what happens if we lose Max? 

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Shame for him but I hope we finally learn our lesson and never again sign a player with an injury record. Not their fault but Byram and Jarvis must have cost us a fortune. 

We sign another right back I imagine.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Well we'd never have signed Tim Krul for the bargain fee of zilch if we'd followed your advice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hardly a surprise, sadly - but if Max stays we have Mumba in reserve so not too big an issue in itself.  If anything it makes Mumba not a loan option until Jan.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Still whispers around that McCallum may be loaned out, but with Jamal gone and Byram out until at least January,  seems to me that it could be  unwise move, Xavi surely needs proper back up. I know about Rupp, but personally dont find it  to great for "can do a job there" types to fill in a role, even though Byram was such a one.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well we'd never have signed Tim Krul for the bargain fee of zilch if we'd followed your advice. 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Lets just not buy a West ham player with a Injury record would be better 

West ham have done it to us twice now with both players 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Matt Jarvis was a disaster. For some unknown reason Alex Neil signed him on a four year deal while he was still injured.

Sam Byram on the other hand came at a huge discount to take account of his poor injury record. Relative to Jarvis he's a cheap gamble.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Matt Jarvis was a disaster. For some unknown reason Alex Neil signed him on a four year deal while he was still injured.

Sam Byram on the other hand came at a huge discount to take account of his poor injury record. Relative to Jarvis he's a cheap gamble.

He surely would have signed Jarvis on the basis of a physio report saying that he was fully recovered.  No manager would sign a player with a physio report of "will play one game, and then be borderline crippled for the next 3 seasons".

I have wondered in the past what the liability is for medicals, and whether anyone has ever taken legal action against a doctor / physio on the basis of a negligent / incompetent medical?

Not that I'm in favour of excessive litigation.  There's enough of that already in the world.

Every club has its sick notes from time to time. We have just had two in quick succession. That is why we have squads.

I must admit Byram doesn't look the athletic build type.

Jarvis cost us 3.5 million Byram 750,000 big difference. Byram is still young enough to recover and become a good player for us. Jarvis was in his 30’s wasn’t he?

Sad for Byram but with Klose and Hanley we do have a poor track record with long term injuries!

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Lets just not buy a West ham player with a Injury record would be better 

West ham have done it to us twice now with both players 

Matthew Rush as well? Think we got him from them and got a nasty injury on his debut if I recall correctly.

I’ve seen quite a lot posts over the past few months saying we stop signing injury prone players completely. I don’t completely agree with this.

Byram is very injury prone but didn’t cost much, on high wages but has done well for us when on pitch

Jarvis was quite expensive, probably wanted quite high wages, but barely made any appearances for us.

Naismith is currently our record signing, would have wanted very high wages, was usually injured but when he did play was rubbish.

Klose is very injury prone, cost us quite a lot, on high wages, but I think on pitch still quite good as in the cup game Luton still hadn’t registered a shot on target until he went off the pitch. I think in our promotion season he also managed to make about 1/3 of the games. He is also very friendly.

Krul has had a very serious injury in his career but has only cost us his wages, although they are probably quite high but I think has only ever been injured once for us, a brief spell last autumn as he missed the games against Palace and Villa. He was ever-present in our promotion campaign. He is also very loyal because as soon as the talk about who we were going to lose this summer started he instantly said he was going nowhere as he feels he owes a “debt” to us because we rescued his career. 

Who would you say is the best keeper we’ve had before Krul? I might possibly say John Ruddy but I think in my lifetime it’s probably been Bryan Gunn. If you ask me I’d say we’d never have got promoted without Krul, as it would have been McGovern between the sticks.

With injury prone players I think there are several things you should piece together before signing them - their asking price, highest experience level and how many games they’ve played at that level, and what they want for their wages, as not all injury prone players are rubbish. Byram is still a decent signing in my opinion, as he didn’t have a high asking price, played well in the PL, and can play both right and left-back. I also don’t think he’s quite as injury prone as Jarvis

11 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I’ve seen quite a lot posts over the past few months saying we stop signing injury prone players completely. I don’t completely agree with this.

Byram is very injury prone but didn’t cost much, on high wages but has done well for us when on pitch

Jarvis was quite expensive, probably wanted quite high wages, but barely made any appearances for us.

Naismith is currently our record signing, would have wanted very high wages, was usually injured but when he did play was rubbish.

Klose is very injury prone, cost us quite a lot, on high wages, but I think on pitch still quite good as in the cup game Luton still hadn’t registered a shot on target until he went off the pitch. I think in our promotion season he also managed to make about 1/3 of the games. He is also very friendly.

Krul has had a very serious injury in his career but has only cost us his wages, although they are probably quite high but I think has only ever been injured once for us, a brief spell last autumn as he missed the games against Palace and Villa. He was ever-present in our promotion campaign. He is also very loyal because as soon as the talk about who we were going to lose this summer started he instantly said he was going nowhere as he feels he owes a “debt” to us because we rescued his career. 

Who would you say is the best keeper we’ve had before Krul? I might possibly say John Ruddy but I think in my lifetime it’s probably been Bryan Gunn. If you ask me I’d say we’d never have got promoted without Krul, as it would have been McGovern between the sticks.

With injury prone players I think there are several things you should piece together before signing them - their asking price, highest experience level and how many games they’ve played at that level, and what they want for their wages, as not all injury prone players are rubbish. Byram is still a decent signing in my opinion, as he didn’t have a high asking price, played well in the PL, and can play both right and left-back. I also don’t think he’s quite as injury prone as Jarvis

You’ve missed out Hanley.....another for the treatment room.....

1 hour ago, Rabbit hole said:

We should really be taking west ham to court over their misleading information on players 

Just getting their revenge for Ashton...

I feel sorry for the lad.  Needs to take his time coming back and then no reason he will get another injury.

Time for Mumba to step up, and make the most of the chance.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hanley has a worse injury record than Klose yet most fans think Klose the sick note. Funny how impressions matter more than facts sometimes

It's actually the same situation with Jarvis, his injury record before joining us wasn't terrible in the slightest, yet many posters keep claiming he's been a constant sick note and we deliberately bought a player with an awful injury record, which simply isn't true.

Yes, it ended up being an extremely poor investment from us, but in the 10 or so seasons before signed for us he averaged around 30 games a season, hardly someone who's constantly on the physio table...

18 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

There was a reason why we signed him permenantly. With us only being able to loan 2 players from other premier lge clubs at a time..and jarvis and wisdom filling those slots ,by signing jarvis it freed up a second slot for Bamford. A disastrous decision all aound