Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

EFL clubs not testing players during season

This subject was discussed this morning on Talksport and seems to be a recipe for disaster, as EFL clubs cannot afford the cost.   I hope that at least Norwich will be testing their players regularly and this could actually give us a competitive advantage in keeping the squad as safe and strong as possible.

This failure to test could mean a similar situation to last March with the season being prematurely curtailed, in my view.

Jesus, really? I was under the impression the players were being tested at least twice a week, if other clubs aren't adhering to that then I'd be worried for the health of our players.

Testing has been costing clubs around £20k to £30k a week. The EFL has said it isn't mandatory to do weekly tests anymore - although any player who is away from the club for over a week must be tested on their return. All players will have to be tested again after the next international break also.

Many clubs are still carrying out regular testing to avoid virus spreading around their squads and meaning multiple players are unavailable. Teams will still test if a player or staff member shows symptoms as well.

Due to the differences in Premier League and EFL rules, I believe it was necessary for the Premier League clubs to pay for EFL players to get tested before the League Cup games where they met. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Testing has been costing clubs around £20k to £30k a week. The EFL has said it isn't mandatory to do weekly tests anymore - although any player who is away from the club for over a week must be tested on their return. All players will have to be tested again after the next international break also.

Many clubs are still carrying out regular testing to avoid virus spreading around their squads and meaning multiple players are unavailable. Teams will still test if a player or staff member shows symptoms as well.

Due to the differences in Premier League and EFL rules, I believe it was necessary for the Premier League clubs to pay for EFL players to get tested before the League Cup games where they met. 

It's ridiculous waiting for symptoms to appear as by that time an asymptomatic player could have passed on the virus to other members of the squad simply through training together without social distancing.  Asymptomatic players need to be isolated ASAP and of course without testing this will not happen and squads will be potentially decimated.  A disaster waiting to happen !!