Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Memories of Gordon Bennett - R.I.P

https://www.pinkun.com/former-ncfc-chief-executive-gordon-bennett-has-died-1-6844080

I first met Gordon when he used to bring the ncfc yts lads into the bank where I worked to open their bank accounts back in the 90s. Great sense of humour, done so much for our club sad to hear he s passed away.

Lots of tributes on twitter from the players who knew him well like Gunny, Eadie, Crooky.

R.I. P. Gordon

IMG_20200918_085957.jpg

Edited by Diane
  • Like 6

Absolutely gutted to hear this news. Gordon was a football fan and a football man through and through. An absolute gentleman with a great sense of humour and one who did so, so much for our football club. When he was in charge of our youth policy he brought so many good youngsters to the club - many of them from the West country where he had great contacts. He would think nothing of driving the mini-bus hundreds of miles to pick young players up and drop them off after games. 

As Chief Executive he did so much, firstly to repair the disastrous financial mess that Robert Chase left behind and then to repair the disastrous rift between the club and its supporters that Robert Chase left behind. 

R.I.P Gordon. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Absolutely gutted to hear this news. Gordon was a football fan and a football man through and through. An absolutely top man with a great sense of humour and one who did so, so much for our football club. When he was in charge of our youth policy he brought so many good youngsters to the club - many of them from the West country where he had great contacts. He would think nothing of driving the mini-bus hundreds of miles to pick young players up and drop them off after games. 

As Chief Executive he did so much, firstly to repair the disastrous financial mess that Robert Chase left behind and then to repair the disastrous rift between the club and its supporters that Robert Chase left behind. 

R.I.P Gordon. 

A fine tribute to him.

RIP.

• Like 1

Knew Gordon when I was younger and with the school of excellence a lovely guy that worked so hard.

RIP 

Great words from Thirsty, Gordon Bennett did so much to build bridges to the fans at that time. He will always have a special place in our club's great history.

RIP Gordon.

• Like 1

Reading stories and tributes this morning, he appears to have been a man all who love this club should have a significant debt of gratitude towards. 

Thoughts to his family. Rest in peace, Mr Bennett.

• Like 1

Back in about 1997 I sometimes used to go in the Snakepit.  At one match a little group of racists were a couple of rows behind, hurling vile abuse at the away team's black winger.  As City went 3-0 down they got more and more excited and starting singing far-right songs.  Then we scored - and they were silent.  They weren't pleased.  Discontent was what they thrived on.  I was so incensed that I turned round and said "Oh yes, you've gone very quiet now, haven't you?".  I knew what they were about, and now they knew that I knew.  I was standing, and a moment later I received a hard shove in the back that sent me three rows forward.

I mentioned it to Gordon Bennett when I saw him later.  He had a lot on his plate at the time but took personal charge, sat in the Snakepit himself to see what was going on, and after that the culprits were nowhere to be seen. 

Top man who took on a very difficult job keeping Robert Chase's "tight ship" afloat following City's relegation after nine seasons in the top flight. R.I.P. Gordon, thank you for all you did for our club.

• Like 6

I read of his passing when i was away on holiday and was obviously saddened by it. During the NCISA days Gordon was the go to man at Norwich City following the departure of Chase and he had time for everybody. Ruthless where he had to be to sort out the mess but a kind and compassionate man with a good sense of humour.

NCISA even commissioned a Gt Yarmouth Pottery mug in his honour when he left the club in 1999 which had on it his well known expression ' Keep Smiling ' . Only 100 were made and even at £25 they sold like hot cakes.

I also had the honour of saying a few words and being involved in making a presentation to him on the pitch at a home game just before he left on behalf of the SCG in which he played a big part.

RIP Gordon a true friend of Norwich City Football club.

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing
Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1