Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Ashton too good for City’s crude play

Yes indeed, The Man often writes some rubbish but he does seem to be more his own person and is proving there is nothing to fear from message boards if you are able to write good articles.

Sadly, i can''t argue with a word of that. An excellent analysis,

without hype or hysteria. A few people on here could learn from that. A

credit to the man.

One thing i will say though, that i think i''ve mentioned in another

post, is that i don''t think the manager has actually been asking the

players to lump it up to DA. We didn''t play like that all the time in

the premiership, or in our title winning season.

In a team lacking results and confidence, with one star player up

front, the temptation to hit long to that player is huge because it''s

much easier to do that than to play the accurate pass on the deck,

whatever the manager has told you. I know that just from playing in

terrible amateur kick abouts!

[quote user="a1canary"]Sadly, i can''t argue with a word of that. An excellent analysis, without hype or hysteria. A few people on here could learn from that. A credit to the man.

One thing i will say though, that i think i''ve mentioned in another post, is that i don''t think the manager has actually been asking the players to lump it up to DA. We didn''t play like that all the time in the premiership, or in our title winning season.
In a team lacking results and confidence, with one star player up front, the temptation to hit long to that player is huge because it''s much easier to do that than to play the accurate pass on the deck, whatever the manager has told you. I know that just from playing in terrible amateur kick abouts!

[/quote]

So why was he not balling out instructions from teh sidelines to keep it on the deck,  What the hell is half time for??  I am sorry but i cant agree, he was happy as long as it was nil-nil then 1 nil up even if we had been rubbish.  We got everything we deserved

so you actually think that after two seasons of predominently passing

football, and after buying a star player who flourished in a passing

team initially, that the manager then suddenly tells the players to

knock it long to ashton?

is that what you really think?

Paul Rankin wrote

So why was he not balling out instructions from teh sidelines to keep it on the deck,  What the hell is half time for??  I am sorry but i cant agree, he was happy as long as it was nil-nil then 1 nil up even if we had been rubbish.  We got everything we deserved

Truer to say WE got every thing HE deserved.

[quote user="a1canary"]so you actually think that after two seasons of predominently passing football, and after buying a star player who flourished in a passing team initially, that the manager then suddenly tells the players to knock it long to ashton?
is that what you really think?

[/quote]

Well, he has done nothing to prove otherwise.....  Passing football starts from green bowling the ball out.  We did this once against watford all match.  The players were not turning round to collect the ball thus giving him no option but to hoof it every time.  Rarely even after the uinitial hoof did we get it on the deck without giving it away...

I will state it again we have two forms of attack - Hoof it to the big guy up front or give it to hucks and hope he does something...  that is it, the first tactic only normally works if as a result of the hoof and heading hucks ends up with the ball.

Paul! you must have heard the criticism on these boards, of Megson and managers of his ilk.

He and others mentioned, were said to be ranting and raving at grown up players as if they were school kids, Mr Huckerby made public his dislike of Megson and his style of management and gave that as a reason for his rejection of a move to West Brom when they were contending with us for his services.  In other words Worthy''s style of management suited our most vaunted player .(tongue in cheek). Where I will agree with you, that in many games ,we got what we deserved, this in my opinion was precisely because Worthy''s instructions were blatently ignored after he gave the players a rational requirement for the game plan, and these by the so called grown-up players that we had on our books.

IMHO there should be no need to re-itterate a game plan for the benefit of beating one''s gums out on deaf ears.  That he, (Worthy) was/is happy, even you can not believe that.  Time and time again he has said that he has not been happy with the players application on the field of play while he grasps at straws to find the positives of a dismal attempt by non triers, who just go through the motions on a field of play.

[quote user="beelsie"]

Paul! you must have heard the criticism on these boards, of Megson and managers of his ilk.

He and others mentioned, were said to be ranting and raving at grown up players as if they were school kids, Mr Huckerby made public his dislike of Megson and his style of management and gave that as a reason for his rejection of a move to West Brom when they were contending with us for his services.  In other words Worthy''s style of management suited our most vaunted player .(tongue in cheek). Where I will agree with you, that in many games ,we got what we deserved, this in my opinion was precisely because Worthy''s instructions were blatently ignored after he gave the players a rational requirement for the game plan, and these by the so called grown-up players that we had on our books.

IMHO there should be no need to re-itterate a game plan for the benefit of beating one''s gums out on deaf ears.  That he, (Worthy) was/is happy, even you can not believe that.  Time and time again he has said that he has not been happy with the players application on the field of play while he grasps at straws to find the positives of a dismal attempt by non triers, who just go through the motions on a field of play.

[/quote]

You have a point, but can worthy turn these ''non triers'' into tryers??  I fail to understand how  a player whom looked so awful for us could be a star for plymouth (well I can - worthy played him out of position in his first game didnt help and their were rumours of something being said on the training ground).

also Worthy has always been quick to publicly critisize his more creative players for not working hard enough (Libbra/Rivers/Hucks/MvVeigh) - then critiosizing them for not creating enough when they spend their energy defending

libbra being a particularly funny one as his flicks and tricks had just helped beat wolves when worthy moaned - and he was another to suffer from being too tall and no good in the air.....  and french..... anyway I dont remember him ever being the same player after worthys whinge

"Passing football starts from green bowling the ball out.  We did this once against watford all match.  The players were not turning round to collect the ball thus giving him no option but to hoof it every time." 

Key words there - "the players". Them not turning to face the ball, not making themselves available from throw ins (how many times do you see Drury pleading for an option from the touchline) are symptomatic of low confidence. It''s down to them to turn that around once they''re on the pitch.

The main difference between now and last season is that last season we had players who could pass the ball well, players who were comfortably on the ball. Safri, Helveg, Bentley, Svensson and even Jonson. Yes, i know we only played these players mainly at the end of the season but players of their ability on the ball have not been brought in

We have too many work horses/grafters, Gary Holt type players whose ability on the ball is limited, that is why (predominately) for me we hoof so much. This is also the reason why we miss Safri so much. He is the only player in our midfield who has genuine ability on the ball.

We need more ball players in our midfield not grafters. Sadly NW doesn''t agree with this. I think it is his beleive that ball winners and grafters get you out of this league, which is true to a certain extent.

D-o-N.  You may have a point, but for me ability on the ball with great grafting ability is the only type of player that interests me, I assure you that those attributes are what make up the complete footballer.  They are of the type that can step on the gas when required, and win a tackle when put to the test. We had a chap with us called Mulryne a man they said could his foot on the ball.  Who was able to pass it, with all sorts of attributes, where is he now. If he won 1 tackle in 10 that was his lot, and the amount of effort he put in was woeful.  Ask Moureno of Chelsea what he asks of a player and he would tell you that his players must, first be athletes, who are able to work hard and be skillful, and above all play for the team not ones individual reputation.  Thats the type I want Worthy to buy, and they are available and they are to be got from the lower leagues, at reasonable prices.  We need scouts who can spot tallent.

Paul IMO it is necessary in any work situation to have the character to fight your corner.  For me if a footballer has in his mind to be the complete pro at his job there should be no limitations to his game, he should work at his game to become just that.  Until he is just that he should be able to use constructive criticism to improve his game and become the best he can be. In my past business I had numerous people that applied for employment at my works, they came with CV''s as long as your arm and had worked for some very good firms, many of the owners I had first hand knowledge of.   Before giving them a job I would take them in hand and ask them to do various tasks that I knew should be well within their capabilities.

Needless to say there were only a few who could come up with the goods when tested, there were many who had an excuse for every innept attempt to come any where near the standard required.

I said to a few that I would be happy to train them to the satisfactory standard, if they were prepared accept the pay that they were worth to my firm, until they became skilled enough to be allowed to do work for my customers.

It must be the same in the football world, it seems there are many more people with just a few of the skills who are without the will to perfect and hone their ability to the level required.