Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Your preferred starting 11 against Preston?

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The easier option still is to drop hernandez and keep them both happy

If one player has to be dropped, Hernandez would probably be the one given his performance wasn't supposed to be as good as the others.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Buendia has to come in and then its a question of keeping players sweet..if Farke drops Cantwell in favour of Dowell, the story that would create and the potential fallout in possibly losing him in October makes me wonder if he'll go for the easier option to drop Dowell.

The easier option still is to drop hernandez and keep them both happy

Could anyone explain why he "has to come in"? 

28 minutes ago, unique said:

Hernandez has played well since returning from injury and has more often or not looked our most threatening option.

No way does he deserve not to start.

A ‘ 75% fit ‘ Buendia is all that is needed for his return to the side.

Play him and placate him.

^this and ^this

2 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Farke does not like changing a winning team , plus is buendia 100 percent fit so I think it will be unchanged , with buendia coming on in the second half.😃

I think we may see that change this year, games are going to be coming thick and fast, so some proactive rotation is likely even from Farke.

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Didn't Farke say he saw Vrancic as more of a number 10? If so, why the dickens would you stick him in defensive midfield?

I'd probably go with this line-up.

GK: Tim KRUL
RB: Max AARONS
RCB: Christoph ZIMMERMANN
LCB: Ben GODFREY
LB: Xavi QUINTILLA
DCM: Oliver SKIPP
DCM: Kenny MCLEAN
RAM: Emi BUENDIA
CAM: Kieran DOWELL
LAM: Todd CANTWELL
CF: Teemu PUKKI

Subs: McGovern (GK), Gibson, Rupp, Hernandez, Placheta, Hernandez, Hugill.

I really want to see Buendia in the hole though. If he's in the hole, then one of our speedsters can take the left flank, and I'd like Rupp on the right then as he's defensively much better, and Aarons can surge from deep to greater effect.

I’d probably go with this as well. Although might possibly start with Hernandez instead of Cantwell, don’t know. Suppose it would probably be more threatening to have bring on 2 pairs of pacy legs against tiring legs though, as I you don’t really need pacy players at the start

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think we may see that change this year, games are going to be coming thick and fast, so some proactive rotation is likely even from Farke.

Agree with you there mate - with a delayed start to the season we have loads of midweek fixtures, and on Radio Norfolk after the game they discussed the possibility of squad rotation, also due the squad size in order to keep all the players happy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I think the above is what we will see. maybe dowell staying in and Todd on the bench.

I would prefer to see Sorensen or Tettey start ahead of McClean but that won't happen.

I would go with the same again but with Emi in for Cantwell.

6 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Buendia

Buendia Buendia Buendia Buendia

Buendia Buendia

Buendia Buendia Buendia

Pukki 

.... Its a team that seems to reflect the circle jerk obsession on here with a player who has hardly performed for a year. 

You missed out Buendia up top and Vrancic somewhere in the middle. 😉 

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

You missed out Buendia up top and Vrancic somewhere in the middle. 😉 

index.jpg.e2b8920a4efcb5fa4f3c84c108ea6025.jpg - Monty Python would be proud

Unfortunately omitting Buendia or Cantwell will just give their agents ammunition to persuade them to push for a transfer.

need to keep them both happy and then look at rotation 

We have had this conversation a number of times of why change a winning side, I think you should if a better player is ready to come in. It depends how you win that game. 

For me -

Krul

Aaron's, Zimmerman, Godfrey, Quintilla 

Skipp, McLean 

Buendia         Cantwell         Hernandez 

Pukki

I hope Gibson is ready to play soon as I do think he is the one of the best to lead and improve the defence.

I would love Lungi or another player to challenge McLean, but I can't see it just yet.

If Hernandez is good to go, he should.

Buendia is the best technical player we have and it would show how much he is up for the fight. He has said he is and I would like to see it. But it's not just that, he can unlock any opposition at any time. He has that ability and against Huddersfield we relied on a defender laying a great through ball for pukki.

Hard on Dowell, who would certainly come on in the game. Nice we have that choice when last season we really did struggle with depth.

Either way, this week has dragged and the sooner 3pm Saturday arrives just to see how we are improving the better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

He's the only naturally right sided forward player, thetefore creating balance

He's the best source of providing annumition for Pukki

By not starting him will just push him to force s move before october 15th

He's our best player

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He's the only naturally right sided forward player, thetefore creating balance

He's the best source of providing annumition for Pukki

By not starting him will just push him to force s move before october 15th

He's our best player

Totally agree. If Salah was inured would Klopp keep him on the sidelines once he was fit. It's so simple but you play your strongest, best players. 

GJL has hit the nail on the head. Buendia is the best technical player we have. He's our most creative player, and we need to get Pukki scoring again. 

Buendia may also be gone in a couple of weeks. If he's at his best, that can only add value if he's off, but if he's at his best, thats also strengthens our team over the next few games, and increases our changes of winning. If he doesn't play well Farke will sub him, as we've got that choice this season.

I love the "you can't change a winning team" We're hardly a winning team. Maybe we're a team that's finally one once, after losing 12 on the go. Lets be realistic!

After scoring the winner last week and bagging a hat-trick last time we played Preston I'd quite like to see a start for Adam Idah. But I suspect he'll be on the bench again. However if he comes on and scores it will be increasingly difficult for Farke to leave him out.

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

After scoring the winner last week and bagging a hat-trick last time we played Preston I'd quite like to see a start for Adam Idah. But I suspect he'll be on the bench again. However if he comes on and scores it will be increasingly difficult for Farke to leave him out.

Great play from Pukki for the goal last week though. 

19 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Emi's our best player. In fact he's head and shoulders above the rest of them. Look at our record without him playing if you need convincing. OK we won last week but we were playing a very poor team and it was a struggle. 

19 minutes ago, GJP said:

Great play from Pukki for the goal last week though. 

Indeed and I fully expect him to start and would start him. What if we win again through Pukki/Idah assist and goal?

We sooner or later have got to lose this Emi has to start idea.  He is excellent when he is 100% on it mentally and physically, but he is not always that.  We did win last week - and no team is easy to beat this season, so that win should not be belittled.  So for me keep the same team, with Emi on the bench to make an impact, then we can think about him starting a match.

As for Vrancic, I believe you could play him in the number 10 role, as long as the two defensive midfielders are solid - which with Skipp and Mclean, they are. So if not the same team, my preferred choice, which is what the op asked for - would be:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Quintilla

Skipp  Mclean

Dowell          Vrancic            Hernandez

Pukki

Krul

Arons

Godfrey

Gibson

Quintilla

Skipp

McClean

Buendia

Dowell

Hernandez 

Pukki

Let the others on the fringe of the 1st team prove they are better - as and when they get the chance

If Beuendia wants to prove he is fantastic at this level - let him prove it ...

Farke has historically kept the same starting team (excepting injuries) provided his side didn't lose.

With his new expanded squad he could surprise us.

Firstly, does an "OK" performance justify keeping one's starting position if we are shooting for automatic promotion or should Farke now use the strength in depth of his squad to set the bar higher for his players?

Secondly, could Farke use his squad to set more tactical traps for his opponents by picking players to suit the opposition rather than simply starting the same bunch of lads who won the last fixture?

Preston for example are quite likely to press us high as per Neill's preferred approach. Should Farke select a side for counter attacking play?

If so maybe Placheta, Hernandez, Idah and even Vrancic might be possible starters (Vrancic is a long shot). 

Farke has so many more options now that his choices are no longer made for him simply based on player availability.

He is now going to have to leave good players out of the match day squad. 

Personally I'd like to see Buendia start if fit. Dowell played OK against Huddersfield but his lack of precision saw us miss out on creating two goal scoring chances in the Huddersfield game.

Buendia is good in the tackle and adept at operating in tight spaces and Preston will not give us much space to work in.

Not that I have anything against Dowell other than a preference to see him played at 10 and using his goal threat from a central area rather than wide right- but of course then what do we do with Cantwell if we play Dowell at 10?

Do we keep Cantwell at 10 and drop Dowell or move Cantwell wide left and forego one of the speedsters? 

With the embarrassment of riches in his playing squad Farke's job is a lot harder this year. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Indeed and I fully expect him to start and would start him. What if we win again through Pukki/Idah assist and goal?

Keep starting Pukki.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Not both then.

The problem then becomes who do you drop from the midfield? 

I can see an arugment for either Pukki playing a bit behind Idah with Dowell dropping to the bench or Idah playing wider (wayhey it rhymes!) with Cantwell or Hernandez being left out. 

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

The problem then becomes who do you drop from the midfield? 

I can see an arugment for either Pukki playing a bit behind Idah with Dowell dropping to the bench or Idah playing wider (wayhey it rhymes!) with Cantwell or Hernandez being left out. 

I agree. I'm not saying we change it tomorrow but if Idah was to continue to come on and score there would surely come a time when it would be hard not to start them both.

I agree. I'm not saying we change it tomorrow but if Idah was to continue to come on and score there would surely come a time when it would be hard not to start them both.

Yeah for sure, although it also depends on how Pukki plays- if Idah is the one getting goals there come a point where he starts and Pukki is benched. And this is before we even mention Hugill.

Just now, king canary said:

Yeah for sure, although it also depends on how Pukki plays- if Idah is the one getting goals there come a point where he starts and Pukki is benched. And this is before we even mention Hugill.

Good position to be in. If Pukki keeps setting Idah up it's surely both. 

Good position to be in. If Pukki keeps setting Idah up it's surely both. 

Yep, totally agree.

I think with the tight schedule we'll need to be flexible anyway- so maybe some games with just one, some with two of the three. Only think I can't picture is a game where Idah, Pukki and Hugill all start!

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 11:36, Jerrykerry said:

Buendia

Buendia Buendia Buendia Buendia

Buendia Buendia

Buendia Buendia Buendia

Pukki 

.... Its a team that seems to reflect the circle jerk obsession on here with a player who has hardly performed for a year. 

I guess by “hardly performed for a year” you’re referring to the fact that he was only 4th in the list of most chances created in the Premiership last season and it was his fault that not many of those chances were converted?

644F0C27-2335-4171-B3C5-FFB21AD4298C.png