Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Consensus: Do us fans aspire to the premier league?

A brief visit to the PL taking the cash and surviving self financing getting stuffed every week and finally returning to where we properly ca perform.  That is the way of things it is when we don't get to the PL for a number of years you will then find out how perilous our financial model will not work.

City the yo yo club and long may it continue.

5 hours ago, lincsy88 said:

And just FYI Roeder never managed us in the Premeir League let alone kept us up :). 

Damnit. My brain though Hughton but my fingers wrote Roeder. Easy mistake to make. Both were equally rubbish teams to watch. 

• Like 1

I’m not jealous of any team in the EPL. If your natural range is between 16th and 26th in the country that says in the EPL you are relegation candidates and in the Champs you are playoff candidates. Is that boring or just frustrating? 

The curse and advantage of the EPL is money. We benefit greatly from it, and we should be careful that the top six don’t split away into a closed shop with other European giants as it would stop the money flow dead in its tracks.

This is a good question, somewhat strangely I quite like us being a yo-yo crowd.

Season after season of struggling in the premier league, just hoping to finish 17th is pretty depressing.

Last season (esp post lock down ) was absolutely awful but it was worth it because of the incredible season before it.

We're never (never say never) going to win the premuer league but it's brilliant fun winning the championship or even qualifying via play offs.

• Like 1

Just before we went into shut down, we beat Leicester City and took 9,000 to Spurs and beat them to reach the FA Cup QF’s. There was a growing sense of hope we could pull off a great escape after all. 

So who knows what would have happened w/o COVID intervening? Please don’t tell me crowds don’t influence team performances. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Just before we went into shut down, we beat Leicester City and took 9,000 to Spurs and bear then to reach the FA Cup QF’s. There was a growing sense of hope we could pull off a great escape after all. 

So who knows what would have happened w/o COVID intervening? Please don’t tell me crowds don’t influence team performances. 

Spot on

Never forget that we once finished 3rd in the PL and we were probably just as financially disadvantaged then as we are now.

Surely it is the aspiration of every sportsman/woman/team/club in the World to compete at the highest level possible and that for us is definitely the PL.

So we might go up & down a few times but that is better than never being in it.

I'd rather go up and get relegated again than (a) being a permanent mid table Championship Club or (b) getting to the play offs and losing in the final or (c) just losing out on promotion on the last day

Yes. But you have to invest in management and quit the embarrassing suggestion that by appointing absolute unknowns in the to slots that Norwich will show the rest how to crack the Premier League. If we can't afford the captain, the crew will sink us.

I've been going for 53 years and have never not wanted to win a game. I've also never believed we couldn't win any game. Are there really fans who don't want to win every game?

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I've been going for 53 years and have never not wanted to win a game. I've also never believed we couldn't win any game. Are there really fans who don't want to win every game?

I'd take a defeat for us, if it sent the binners down. Other than that, no, want to win every time. 

About a 50/50 mixed reaction, some want to hang on to the coat tails of the premier league and others would rather be entertained in the championship. I understand the aspiration to get as high as you can and it certainly increases the clubs income. I remember NCFC holding their own in the premier league we were better than Chelsea and Man City not to mention all the other clubs now in there with the exception of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. We progressed through Europe beating Inter and Bayern Munich away, Oh how we have fallen since those dizzy days, we were competitive in the Premier then but miles off it now. The premier league and the cup competitions are now ruled by Man C, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal the rest of us from 6th downwards all fight for what scraps we can get. 

Maybe it is as much to do with the size of the city that your club is based and the amount of income a club can make from ticket sales in which case maybe our next goal should be to increase Carrow Road to 30k seats

Edited by Mullet

Yes I think should aim to do that. And we were able to entertain as well as compete against some of the biggest clubs last year. Home games against Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester and Man Utd were all good entertainment, we gave as good as we got, came out on top sometimes, fell short in others. It was against the lessor lights that we failed badly, Watford, Burnley, Palace, West Ham etc. 

So what does that say - we have the technical skills but not the mental strength? Or the top clubs give you time on the ball but mid ranking clubs focus on physicality and we currently can't compete with that? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Surfer said:

Just before we went into shut down, we beat Leicester City and took 9,000 to Spurs and beat them to reach the FA Cup QF’s. There was a growing sense of hope we could pull off a great escape after all. 

We were still picking up less than a point per game and going down. We probably wouldn't have lost 11 on the spin but we also weren't looking like staying up.

18 hours ago, Lazza said:

Damnit. My brain though Hughton but my fingers wrote Roeder. Easy mistake to make. Both were equally rubbish teams to watch. 

100% mate they were both dross. That wasn't meant as a dig mate. 

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Apparently there is a sizeable number of our fans who don’t want to be in the PL Nutty. Plus our majority owners of course.

Strange that every poster on this thread has said they want the club to spend time in the top league.

18 hours ago, Surfer said:

The curse and advantage of the EPL is money. We benefit greatly from it, and we should be careful that the top six don’t split away into a closed shop with other European giants as it would stop the money flow dead in its tracks.

Whilst not underestimating the £loss that scenario would cause, I’d  still welcome it versus the status quo.

Ghettoising a handful of superclubs to an all-star showjumping event, that’s parallel (and unconnected) to the national leagues would leave the proper football to the latter. The not-quite elite players would still have to play somewhere... Sky & co would still be after it as a ‘viewing product’. 

It would become like a better quality, higher stakes  Championship; a not quite as good or quite as money-laden version of the present PL.

But i believe it would bring back the first-tier as a genuine competition.