Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Consensus: Do us fans aspire to the premier league?

My thoughts are, we aren't a rich enough club to establish ourselves in the premier league. We don't have billionaire owners which now seems essential. 

Who thinks we should still aspire to establishing in the premier league despite it being impossible to compete financially and who thinks we should be happy to be a good championship side who flirts with the premier league now and again.

I don't think any other club rivals us for promotion and relegations from the premier league so have we found our niche?

Can we therefore allow ourselves to be jealous of clubs like Liverpool, the Manchester's, Chelsea Leeds etc who have the wealth that we can only dream of. We don't belong in the Billionaires playground 

Yes, now we've had that year up there to clear the debts etc, sustained prem football has to be the aim or whats the point?

In an ideal world, none of the crown jewels is sold this window and we **** the league.

We go up with a modest but competitive budget and an improved squad where we can add a couple of decent players to steer us to 17th or higher and kick on from there.

• Like 1

I aspire to Lambert style Prem football.  Exciting football, hard working players who care and great leadership, from the Board Room down to the dressing room.  

But would prefer Champs football to the spectacular failure of last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerrykerry said:

Yes otherwise what is the effing point in the club? 

Ahhhh, to watch football?

From the side of the fans, of course the Premier League is the place to be. To have an established top half squad that can make a couple of decent cup runs and possibly have a good go of it in the European cups would be awesome to experience.

From the business side of things....the club just made some really easy money being in the Premier League and with the parachute payments to cover the sensible wages and not having to sell the best players, the club is poised for a return. All that had to be sacrificed in return was watching a season that was plagued with a biblical level of injuries and a derailing caused by a virus.

All things considered, I’d say we’re actually doing quite well as a club and if we go up and stay up - which I hope - it’ll be awesome.

18 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Yes otherwise what is the effing point in the club? 

Maybe you should try asking clubs in the national leauge and below what's the point of them existing

Should they just fold and close down the club as they will never play in the Prem?

I think the point about the local leagues is a good one but even there it is all about money. A team like Wroxham know they will never be in the premier league but the club still runs with passionate owners and fans that want to see their club hopefully win a promotion or cup but they know where they belong unless some money comes in from somewhere. Stowmarket have some owners who have invested in the facilities and players recently and they have enticed some better quality in and last year they would have been promoted had it not been for covid so even at this level it is mostly about money.

I just can't see a way of getting the financial input NCFC needs to stop being the yo yo club

Football is a sport, sport is competition, to compete means to put yourself against the best, so yes, we should aspire for promotion to and to establish ourselves in, the EPL. Some uncertain times are coming for football and the global economy as a whole and we need to be best-places as possible to ensure the club remains solvent and competitive, that means dining at the top table and getting the lions share of TV money etc.

• Like 2

It’s great to be one of the top teams in the championship. Winning it is the dream!

Unfortunately that means being promoted to the Premier League. While it has to be the goal to pitch the team against the best in the world, we will never win anything up there. At the most “successful” we would just “survive” year after year, never really competing at the top but not really risking relegation. Everton is the best example of PL “success”. Is that what you all want? Aspiring to being mediocre? Is that really better than going back down then having another real chance to win the Champs?

Which season ending did you enjoy the most? Surviving in the PL under Roeder or winning the Championship under Farke? 

Edited by Lazza
  • Like 1

This club should aim to be an established premier league club, 100%! With it support its poor we have not achieved some stability in the top flight imo....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Maybe you should try asking clubs in the national leauge and below what's the point of them existing

Should they just fold and close down the club as they will never play in the Prem?

Do those clubs want to stay in the National League? No. They want to keep improving and get to the next level. Then the one after that. 

We’re the same and the next level for us is sustained stay in the premier league. 

Whats the point if we’re not trying to get to the next level?

I think any clued up fans of other clubs would look at NCFC and ask why we are even asking the question. We are in a much better position than most clubs outside the top flight. With our 4 remaining jewels we are in a win win- they stay and we have a great squad, or they go and the same recruitment team that found them in the first place has lots of money to bring in replacements.

Edited by Mr.Carrow
  • Like 1

Anyone who doesn't want their club to be competing on the highest level they possibly can shouldn't call themselves a fan in my eyes. Would a King's Lynn fan for example turn down league 2 football next season just because they may get battered every week, of course they wouldn't!

We as a club should be striving to achieve the best we can otherwise whats the point!? If we weren't competing for the premier league and trying to be the best we can then people would start blaming the club for having no ambition! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lazza said:

It’s great to be one of the top teams in the championship. Winning it is the dream!

Unfortunately that means being promoted to the Premier League. While it has to be the goal to pitch the team against the best in the world, we will never win anything up there. At the most “successful” we would just “survive” year after year, never really competing at the top but not really risking relegation. Everton is the best example of PL “success”. Is that what you all want? Aspiring to being mediocre? Is that really better than going back down then having another real chance to win the Champs?

Which season ending did you enjoy the most? Surviving in the PL under Roeder or winning the Championship under Farke? 

I would take 17th in the Premier League on goal difference every single season if it meant the club were competing at the highest level they could. And just FYI Roeder never managed us in the Premeir League let alone kept us up :). 

Surely all clubs, at whatever level, are stiving to do the best they can and to get as high up the pyramid as possible. Obviously there are teams where the Prem is way above what they can achieve so thier asperations are lower, but that does not apply to NCFC.

Getting promoted and staying in the Prem is ceratinly acheiveable for us so that is what we should be aiming for. I'm sure DF and SW would say the same.

Great illustration of how ****ed football is financially right now. 

Getting promoted to the top division should be fun but it is a curse from a fan enjoyment point of view- what is the best we can really hope for? Finishing top half? Maybe winning a cup (but financial incentives means clubs like us need to prioritize the league). Always having to keep one eye on relegation because you can't really claim to be established at this level? 

12 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Football is a sport, sport is competition, to compete means to put yourself against the best, so yes, we should aspire for promotion to and to establish ourselves in, the EPL. Some uncertain times are coming for football and the global economy as a whole and we need to be best-places as possible to ensure the club remains solvent and competitive, that means dining at the top table and getting the lions share of TV money etc.

Is it still a sport? Or is it more business than sport...? I often ask myself this question... Athletics , gymnastics,... for example are more about the sport than the money...in football it's become the other way around... I like to watch football, but my passion about it has faded because of this

13 hours ago, CirclePoint said:

Ahhhh, to watch football?

From the side of the fans, of course the Premier League is the place to be. To have an established top half squad that can make a couple of decent cup runs and possibly have a good go of it in the European cups would be awesome to experience.

From the business side of things....the club just made some really easy money being in the Premier League and with the parachute payments to cover the sensible wages and not having to sell the best players, the club is poised for a return. All that had to be sacrificed in return was watching a season that was plagued with a biblical level of injuries and a derailing caused by a virus.

All things considered, I’d say we’re actually doing quite well as a club and if we go up and stay up - which I hope - it’ll be awesome.

Ahhh to watch football and get promoted. 

Otherwise you'd all whine we were like Ipswich for the past decade. 

Should be pushing to win the EPL in 2 season time, then at least semis in Champions league the following year. 

50 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Should be pushing to win the EPL in 2 season time, then at least semis in Champions league the following year. 

Found the deluded Leeds fan 😂

• Thanks 1

I think naturally as fans you aspire to reach for the stars. In fact part of the problem is fans are typically over-ambitions and un-realistic so they're never fully happy with how their team is doing.

But all this lockdown, no football, then soulless football has led me to think I actually just want to watch my team play football. I like it when we win and hate it when we lose. I enjoyed our League One season. I didn't care we were in the third tier at the time, during the games.

• Like 3

I have very little interest in the Premier League, and not just because we are not in it. I simply can't see the point of being a "no hoper" team like Palace, West Ham, Burnley, Brighton etc, which seems to be what most of our supporters aspire to, and think represents great ambition. Apart from maybe Zaha at Palace, none of them have a player I would pay to watch. None of them are ever likely to, because every player they buy is geared to survival. I would much rather be a yo-yo club playing the system - taking the EPL's money every two or three years to fund the next generation and enjoying the whole ride. Being competitive in whatever league you are in is the most important part of it being enjoyable, whether playing or watching.

I'd accepted relegation last season after the 5-1 against Villa (by which I mean I knew then we would not be good enough to stay up) and I'd rather be a Norwich fan this season than a supporter of Fulham or West Brom, neither of whom have much of a chance of survival because they are simply out of their depth. It's slightly different for Leeds fans after 16 years away; their enthusiasm might take a bit longer to dissipate, but they will still be lucky to survive.

The EPL has changed massively since the Lambert years - it's all about athleticism and physicality now, and defensive organisation. That isn't the football I want to watch. I want to watch flair and invention as well as speed and power and no one outside the top 7 or 8 can afford to buy players with all those attributes. I want to watch Cantwell and Buendia more than Kante or Jordan Henderson, however "flawed" they might be.

Unless and until we get our stinking rich morally dependable Norwich supporting owner I just can't see the point in a longer stay in the Premier League.

Edited by sgncfc
  • Like 1

I aspire to the big clubs creating the closed off super league they so desperately want so the rest of us can reclaim football

• Like 1

I have very mixed feelings about the Prem.

Actually, there are only 6 established Premier League teams.  There used to be 5.  Man City have joined them simply by having owners who, for whatever bizarre reasons, have been willing to pump in hundreds of millions.  The big teams used to be Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.  Chelsea were on the fringes but were able to join them properly in the 90s thanks to a Russian billionaire owner, and Man City too.  Everton are on the fringes but not quite there.

None of the big teams have been relegated since the Prem has been setup, in fact I think you have to go back to Man U in the 70s ?  (Man City were in the 2nd tier before they became "established").

Every other team starts the Prem season with its main aim being survival.  And, every other team in the Prem has been relegated in the recent past.  West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Swansea, all looked to be reasonably well established, but one or two bad seasons and they were relegated.

The truth is that becoming an "established" Prem club is a pipe dream (unless you can find a wealthy country, or a billionaire who has serious free cash he's willing to spend, by the standards of billionaires which decides to plough untold millions in for some reason).  Aside from the big 6, everyone's time in the Prem is limited.

It's a bit like if you imagine you were Bill Gates.  Would you

(a) take a billion dollars (or whatever) and setup a foundation for medical research (or to promote something else for the good of humanity e.g. I think the guy at amazon is trying to promote developments for a colony on Mars or something) so that you'll be able to look back and think, you've seriously contributed to improving the lot of humanity, or

(b) take a billion dollars and spend it on a football club, so you'll be able to look back and think, my team did win some silverware and I made a number of young athletes rich.

I guess on this website, opinions may be split between the choices !  But in the world at large, probably most people will go for (a) !

• Like 1

OK Delia, put up season tickets to £5K minimum and spend all the extra on players.

Whats that you say? They want you to spend your money.

Forget that, this is a foolproof way to guarantee EPL membership.

Whats that you say? We have been there five years out of the last ten

Well that isn't good enough

It has often been said that our natural place in the football hierarchy is somewhere between 16 - 26 and I always aspire to be in or above those 10 places.