Sign in to follow this  
Rabbit hole

Sin and the Sitti

See these two are off the Belgium. Good to see us using technical leagues like Holland and Belgium that can guarantee game time instead of league 1 and 2 where they just lump the ball forward.

Yep, looks promising for both of them. After all, the Fortuna Sittard / Dutch second division worked wonders for Cantwell. That said, Cantwell went to a team that was challenging to go up, whereas Sinani and Sitti look like they're joining a team that will be, in all likelihood, stuck in a relegation dogfight in Belgium's top division.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

whereas Sinani and Sitti look like they're joining a team that will be, in all likelihood, stuck in a relegation dogfight in Belgium's top division

Good practice for when they come back and play for us in the Premier league then!😉😇👍

• Like 1

Thought Sinani might have been kept until nearer the end of the window just in case we decided we needed him. I guess Drmic is still in the building if we get injuries up front!

17 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Thought Sinani might have been kept until nearer the end of the window just in case we decided we needed him. I guess Drmic is still in the building if we get injuries up front!

I mentioned earlier in the summer that I think people needed to temper their expectations for Sinani- some had him down as a first team regular when he's clearly going to have to do a lot of work to make the step up in levels. Hopefully this move helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I mentioned earlier in the summer that I think people needed to temper their expectations for Sinani- some had him down as a first team regular when he's clearly going to have to do a lot of work to make the step up in levels. Hopefully this move helps.

Its funny to think how far the fan based have changed when the guy very few people had heard of from Luxembourg, of all places, is a signing they get really excited about. Guess it shows how the change in recruitment policy has really taken hold of the fans, whether they really admit it or not. 

Imagine the reaction if 3 years ago Norwich had brought in a free signing from Luxembourg and the sent him out on loan almost straight away. Sinani is a massive punt who Norwich have seemingly signed off the back of 3 or 4 games in the Europa League. 

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Its funny to think how far the fan based have changed when the guy very few people had heard of from Luxembourg, of all places, is a signing they get really excited about. Guess it shows how the change in recruitment policy has really taken hold of the fans, whether they really admit it or not. 

Imagine the reaction if 3 years ago Norwich had brought in a free signing from Luxembourg and the sent him out on loan almost straight away. Sinani is a massive punt who Norwich have seemingly signed off the back of 3 or 4 games in the Europa League. 

I compared it to Cody McDonald previously and I think that holds- people are excited because he's come out of nowhere. There is always something a bit romantic about the player from a semi pro sort of background making the step up to the big time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I compared it to Cody McDonald previously and I think that holds- people are excited because he's come out of nowhere. There is always something a bit romantic about the player from a semi pro sort of background making the step up to the big time.

Aye  and is it really a massive punt as Bethno  says? He came on a free, we're probably not paying him that much...some of which will be covered by the  club borrowing him.

I just see it as a small calculated gamble.... if it pays off, good stuff, we have a player for almost no investment, if he flops....we have a flop...again  for little outlay.

It's all part of the Churn. 

I know we like to send loaners to Holland and Belgium as they are seen as technical leagues. But surely he is used to that.

I think he has been linked to Holland.

Can't we send him out to Peterborough or mk Dons or even Ipswich.

Would anyone berudge ipswich?

As in sending them a few promising youngsters? See how they fair? Matt gills there atleast, farke maybe values his input?

Same as Colchester, Southend and mk Dons?

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Not just that although I agree with the basic thrust, he's got some pretty interesting previous for racking up goals against quality opposition in Europe whilst playing for Dudelange, a club that is the powerhouse by Luxembourg standards... but we're talking about one of European football's weakest leagues in Luxembourg. The potential there is arguably easier to see in a case like Sinani.

If you're looking at players from lower leagues in England, they usually stand out because of a pretty strong record of notching up goals in their own league but with little chance of showing it against quality opposition. Sinani bagging against Spanish opposition in the Europa League playing for a side like Dudelange - indeed bagging fairly regularly whilst playing for Dudelange - is arguably a more extreme sign.

We'll see. This tells me that they like what they see so far, but think he needs some constant seasoning at a higher level to have a look. As others have said, he was signed on a free so he's a low-risk signing who might come good and if he does and we end up even just selling him like Srbeny or Watkins, he will have turned out well for us.

It makes you wonder how many players we have signed in the summer will actually play for us. 

Of the loaned out players it's only Cantwell and Godfrey who have come through and that was 2 seasons ago now. 

I can't understand why we are signing players, particularly the older ones if we don't consider them good enough for the first team and trust other teams to develop them. 

Best of luck to them. 

7 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I've embarrassed myself haven't I chaps?

Me and my new blue kit will go on the naughty step. 

A bit, although I have to admit, using them as a farm club adds a whole new meaning to the Old Farm derby.

21 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

I know we like to send loaners to Holland and Belgium as they are seen as technical leagues. But surely he is used to that.

I think he has been linked to Holland.

Can't we send him out to Peterborough or mk Dons or even Ipswich.

Would anyone berudge ipswich?

As in sending them a few promising youngsters? See how they fair? Matt gills there atleast, farke maybe values his input?

Same as Colchester, Southend and mk Dons?

There was an interview with Neil Adams (I think ) where he talked about Cantwell's loan to Holland. Apart from the benefits of being a technical league, it was largely a case of finding someone who'd actually play him. Apparently Cantwell was offered to pretty much every League club in England (including the National League) and none were prepared to take Cantwell on loan and give him games - even though Norwich said that they would fully cover his wages. 

There is no point Sinani or Sitti going to a League One club, if those clubs are really prepared to give them sufficient minutes to play. Adshead has started every game so far for Telstar and is being coached by Andries Jonker, the former head coach at Arsenal's academy. That is worth a lot more than going to League One, making occasional appearances and potentially playing for a team that is slightly more agricultural in style. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, curious yellow said:

It makes you wonder how many players we have signed in the summer will actually play for us. 

Of the loaned out players it's only Cantwell and Godfrey who have come through and that was 2 seasons ago now. 

I can't understand why we are signing players, particularly the older ones if we don't consider them good enough for the first team and trust other teams to develop them. 

Best of luck to them. 

Likely because we might make some money on them. 

I think next season is make or break for players like Burushi and Famewo- if they aren't deemed good enough they'll likely be sold but as they didn't cost us anything we'll be laughing.

20 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Best of luck to them. 

Er............. James Maddison............ Josh Murphy.............. Jacob Murphy........................

The thing is with our scouting system you really do not know what you are going to get. There have been some absolute gems over the last 3 seasons such as Buendia, Pukki, Zimmermann, Vrancic etc then there has been the bang ordinary/poor both signings and loans. The trouble with Sinani is that he is not a youngster, i think he is 23. he has come from the Luxembourg league which must be about the same at National League North. He expected to be involved in the squad and with overseas players it takes a while for them to get used to British style and conditions. It is not like last season when we were in the PL, at the moment we are a mid table championship side though we hope to improve on that but if these new players at their ages are not going to get any game time here it begs the question when or if they will do so, especially with quite a number of much younger players identified as being worth being in or around the first team squad. Far too early to write them off, the top Belgian league is a good standard but very very different to England different, but the early  signals are not  over promising as they say if they are good enough they are old enough

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

The thing is with our scouting system you really do not know what you are going to get. There have been some absolute gems over the last 3 seasons such as Buendia, Pukki, Zimmermann, Vrancic etc then there has been the bang ordinary/poor both signings and loans. The trouble with Sinani is that he is not a youngster, i think he is 23. he has come from the Luxembourg league which must be about the same at National League North. He expected to be involved in the squad and with overseas players it takes a while for them to get used to British style and conditions. It is not like last season when we were in the PL, at the moment we are a mid table championship side though we hope to improve on that but if these new players at their ages are not going to get any game time here it begs the question when or if they will do so, especially with quite a number of much younger players identified as being worth being in or around the first team squad. Far too early to write them off, the top Belgian league is a good standard but very very different to England different, but the early  signals are not  over promising as they say if they are good enough they are old enough

This is my problem with our sucession planning;

Last year we signed Sam M, Melvin Sitti and lets add Daniel Sinani to that.

We obviously wanted to stay in the Premier League and had we, I could understand these three going on loan.

However dropping to the Champ surely these to be utilised, not re-loaned.

Promotion as to be our aim, if we get promoted, these 3 are back to sqaure one.

To add insult to injury, we've now got one fit (loaned) left back and a struggle to put the ball in the back on the net.

If the answer is, they're not good enough then you have to question the investment we have made.

• Like 1