Sign in to follow this  
Block Y Seat 176

Naismith article in The Athletic

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No it isn’t: there is no link on here to the article, so it’s not a stretch at all.  
The point you appear to have missed is that this IS a free site. 

I'm confused- so if OP puts a link in it suddenly isn't advertising?

And if you link to anything that you have to pay to view on a free site it is?

What?

I don't see a problem discussing Athletic stories on here.

For me, I'm not actually signed up this year but seeing these stories gives me the option to decide if actually, I might rejoin. 

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is it any different to discussing a recently released film, or indeed a football match that's live on Sky Sports?

Yes, it is.  Very much so.  We’re talking about paid-for written media being promoted on a free site.  If you don’t see the potential issue that isn’t my problem.

Just now, hogesar said:

For me, I'm not actually signed up this year but seeing these stories gives me the option to decide if actually, I might rejoin. 

It depends.  The thing is that some don’t even see it as even a potential issue.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, it is.  Very much so.  We’re talking about paid-for written media being promoted on a free site.  If you don’t see the potential issue that isn’t my problem.

So when we're discussing a football match live on Sky, is that not discussing paid-for media on a free site?

I’ve never had Sky and never will.  It’s wholly different because there’s lots of free media sources - here, for instance or bbc or local radio - that you can follow.  And the highlights are freely available.

I’m certainly far from opposed to paying for media, that isn’t remotely the point.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve never had Sky and never will.  It’s wholly different because there’s lots of free media sources - here, for instance or bbc or local radio - that you can follow.  And the highlights are freely available.

What about a film? Or a football doc that is only available on DVD? Or a pie you bought at the ground? 

This is a bizarre rabbit hole.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

What about a film? Or a football doc that is only available on DVD? Or a pie you bought at the ground? 

This is a bizarre rabbit hole.

All very different, one offs: these athletic mentions come with just about each and every article. This one neatly juxtaposed with a thread taking the **** out of one of the site’s own young journalists.  How charming.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

All very different: these athletic mentions come with just about each and every article. Nearly juxtaposed with a thread taking the **** out of the site’s own journalist.  How charming.

I'm confused.

Are you suggesting some form of effort to promote the Atheltic and do down the pinkun on here? 

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I have now signed up after hearing so much about it (on the £1 a month offer just to have a look), I'm surprised by the content quality on there. Really interesting stuff to be fair. Can see how they've justified it being paid for now.

Nice Norwich City feed with some good stuff on there too.

As for the inevitable 'do you work for them' comments, they're just good articles, check it out or don't, no skin off my nose!

Edited by South Sider

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

I have now signed up after hearing so much about it (on the £1 a month offer just to have a look), I'm surprised by the content quality on there. Really interesting stuff to be fair. Can see how they've justified it being paid for now.

Nice Norwich City feed with some good stuff on there too.

As for the inevitable 'do you work for them' comments, they're just good articles, check it out or don't, no skin off my nose!

Glad you could make use of the £1 offer. Good to see more and more supporters sign up. There is a post match discussion hosted by MB on The Athletic after each game, and it's noticeable how many new supporters are now involved. This time last season there were only a few of the same people commenting. The more the merrier!

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is it any different to discussing a recently released film, or indeed a football match that's live on Sky Sports?

No, Hang on. we don't pay to be on this site. We are to here talk about a club we support. Am i wrong? 

It's such a poor show for potential members to be viewing topics when long term members are asking for money to view something. 

Is that really the impression you want to give? 

11 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

No, Hang on. we don't pay to be on this site. We are to here talk about a club we support. Am i wrong? 

It's such a poor show for potential members to be viewing topics when long term members are asking for money to view something. 

Wtf? We're not asking for money. Has everyone lost their minds today?

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

My point was that nobody can read it without paying.

You have deliberately misinterpreted my point to suit an argument and ignored everything else i said. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Just joined £1 a month for twelve months, how do I find this article ?

If you add Norwich City to the list of teams you follow, it will then be on your feed. Should be the top story still.

41 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I really, really don't get the problem here.

Are we banned from talking about any media content on this site unless said content is free?

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

Seems like it.

42 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I really, really don't get the problem here

I deleted my post.  Whatever 

Edited by Chelm Canary

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

If you really, really don't get the problem then you must really, really be right. 

So an article was posted that people can't read without paying money. Some people in the current climate and those that have lost their job (as i have) are not willing to pay money to discuss football. 

Whatever. 

Which is fine and completely understandable - but then you don't have to read this thread, do you?

The OP even referenced in the title that the article is from The Athletic.

I'm all up for kicking off on this forum but even i'm lost on this one today.

1 hour ago, CaptCanary said:

If you add Norwich City to the list of teams you follow, it will then be on your feed. Should be the top story still.

It says I’m following Norwich City but the article is not there, is there a search function?

2 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

It says I’m following Norwich City but the article is not there, is there a search function?

Searching is possible on the app - top right corner.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Which is fine and completely understandable - but then you don't have to read this thread, do you?

The OP even referenced in the title that the article is from The Athletic.

I'm all up for kicking off on this forum but even i'm lost on this one today.

Agreed. Just seems strange to post an article on a forum that 95% of the forum can't read. 

If it's a logic that most people here agree with then i'm all for it and i will not read or comment on any athletic related topics in future. 

.... Unless i decide to sign up. 

23 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Agreed. Just seems strange to post an article on a forum that 95% of the forum can't read. 

If it's a logic that most people here agree with then i'm all for it and i will not read or comment on any athletic related topics in future. 

.... Unless i decide to sign up. 

To be fair I get that part- it can be annoying when a Times or Telegraph article is posted for the same reason. However it all got a bit weird with claims of advertising and stuff about the impression it would give new users. 

We move on...

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be fair I get that part- it can be annoying when a Times or Telegraph article is posted for the same reason. However it all got a bit weird with claims of advertising and stuff about the impression it would give new users. 

We move on...

Yeah it went a bit far with some comments to be fair. 

As you say, we move on.

What I can’t understand is why certain members of the Pinkun message board are trying to extort money on behalf of other media outlets. Who do you work for? Are you being forced to work for these media moguls against your will?

say the secret code word and we’ll get you out if there.