Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Buendia “come and get me”

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If he gets promoted with Norwich he'll be at a 'lower prem side' and it would be even more unlikely for him to get a transfer, as Norwich would be in an even stronger position!

not if an elite club like Athletico come in at that point, hopefully the other side of Covid

46 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'm not so sure. I wouldn't personally sell him for that, but I bet - if he does go - the fee will be closer to 20m than it is 40m that has been suggested. I bet it would be ~25m that we would accept.

Disagree.

Aston Villa have just paid £28mil rising to £33mil for Ollie Watkins, a Championship forward that has never as much played a minute of Premier League football, let alone statistically been one of the best performers in the best league in world football. Jack Grealish valued at around £70mil who doesn’t have any brighter or lesser future than Buendia.

A figure around £40mil is therefore not unrealistic. With respect ATG, he is not a £20-£25mil player.

• Like 2

He - and any player - is only worth what sides are willing to pay.  For all the decent stuff, with Emi there Is very much a petulant side that needs work - he’s far from the finished product.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well you would, because prices hit a record high last month and stamp duty relief is saving people thousands.

Prices are expected to fall about 14% next year after the end of the stamp duty relief. 

So this feels like very much the perfect time to sell your house.

Anyone want my new spacious 1 bed apartment overlooking the cathedral?  (Thought I might just ask !! Lol) special price for Canary fans ......

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

He - and any player - is only worth what sides are willing to pay.  For all the decent stuff, with Emi there Is very much a petulant side that needs work - he’s far from the finished product.

I agree. And if he goes I genuinely also think it will be in the £25m+ add ons region.

If this interview really emanated from Ma****er it probably is club sanctioned and is a signal that we are ready to sell, which is exactly in keeping with the model. Webber has previously said the starting price for Buendia would be £25m. It would make perfect sense that we got people in to replace the ones who we agreed could go if the value was met - Lewis being one and Buendia being another. However, I'm not sure that anyone is prepared to pay that yet - but maybe Leeds, Villa or West Ham will be when they still haven't got a point in 3 weeks time.....

I have absolutely no doubt that he would go if we get a bid for £20m up front with add ons.

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If this interview really emanated from Ma****er it probably is club sanctioned and is a signal that we are ready to sell, which is exactly in keeping with the model. Webber has previously said the starting price for Buendia would be £25m. It would make perfect sense that we got people in to replace the ones who we agreed could go if the value was met - Lewis being one and Buendia being another. However, I'm not sure that anyone is prepared to pay that yet - but maybe Leeds, Villa or West Ham will be when they still haven't got a point in 3 weeks time.....

I have absolutely no doubt that he would go if we get a bid for £20m up front with add ons.

Club didn't know about the interview according to Michael Bailey. 

Hope Leeds hurry up and get De Paul so they stay away! Villa might get desperate and get involved though the odds don't seem to have moved on Skybet...

The interview to me reads as much a 'I'm still here, don't forget about me' as a 'come and get me' one. There has been little reported concrete interest in any of the young players still here. With the season starting up and teams maybe panicking if they get off to poor starts, I wonder if Emi & his agent have decided to just remind everyone that he could be available. Saying that, I don't think this changes the club's stance. However, if Emi isn't in the squad on Saturday maybe we can say something is afoot.

There's the special window in October where the only place for prem teams to shop is the EPL... he'll be ripe for the picking in that if anyone is still looking.

These early games for us are so important for building up a head of steam so we either a) convince Emi we are serious about promotion or b) show the big sides that our players like Emi are worth bidding big bucks for.

24 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don’t ever recall Stuart Webber publicly declaring what the official starting price is for any of our players, let alone Buendia. Would like to see where he is quoted as stating that.

To have an idea of what price he would go for, I think those posters with a Stuart Webber mentality will be much more closer to the mark.

I maintain if Ollie Watkins can go for between £28 to £33mil, without a minute played in the Premier League, then it simply doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to sell the more gifted Emi Buendia for a poxy £20mil!

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

I don’t ever recall Stuart Webber publicly declaring what the official starting price is for any of our players, let alone Buendia. Would like to see where he is quoted as stating that.

To have an idea of what price he would go for, I think those posters with a Stuart Webber mentality will be much more closer to the mark.

I maintain if Ollie Watkins can go for between £28 to £33mil, without a minute played in the Premier League, then it simply doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to sell the more gifted Emi Buendia for a poxy £20mil!

“We got just over £20m for James Maddison, after one season in the Championship, and we needed the money.

“So what I would be saying to people is please have a look at that before you pick up the phone to us. That has set the benchmark for our club.”

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-stuart-webber-relegation-reflections-transfer-strategy-revealed-1-6743441

Ollie Watkins is a striker, strikers will always command larger fees than other positions. If Emi had scored even 5 goals last season I think Norwich could be thinking about a greater sum of money, but his lack of goals (and goal threat) means his price will be lower than the Watkins deal. Especially when you add in 3 or 4 clubs were all bidding for Watkins and he is home-grown. 

Great reflection of the price inflation in recent years. 2 or 3 years ago our record sale was £12m now we're saying £20m is poxy.

57 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Anyone want my new spacious 1 bed apartment overlooking the cathedral?  (Thought I might just ask !! Lol) special price for Canary fans ......

I don't believe there is such thing as a "new spacious 1 bed", if there was enough space the developers would have squeezed a second bedroom in 😜

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

From what I have seen Emi is happy here and has just said he would like to be back in the Premiership asap. Has stated he will give his all and that is good enough for me. No one is calling for Webber to go despite him saying he is off in 18 months or so....

As for selling him, anything less than 30 million would make a joke of the "we don't have to sell" line from the club and I feel he is vital to any hopes of promotion this season

It's interesting that Brentford sold Watkins while there has been little interest in their best player Benrahma. I know he's been linked with loads of sides in the prem but nothing has come up yet, I wonder if most teams aren't necessarily looking for wide creative types as a priority.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't believe there is such thing as a "new spacious 1 bed", if there was enough space the developers would have squeezed a second bedroom in 😜

I remember viewing a flat in London that was very obviously a studio but had a flimsy partition wall put up so they could say '1 bed' and add £100 p/m to the rent. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

“We got just over £20m for James Maddison, after one season in the Championship, and we needed the money.

“So what I would be saying to people is please have a look at that before you pick up the phone to us. That has set the benchmark for our club.”

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-stuart-webber-relegation-reflections-transfer-strategy-revealed-1-6743441

Ollie Watkins is a striker, strikers will always command larger fees than other positions. If Emi had scored even 5 goals last season I think Norwich could be thinking about a greater sum of money, but his lack of goals (and goal threat) means his price will be lower than the Watkins deal. Especially when you add in 3 or 4 clubs were all bidding for Watkins and he is home-grown. 

Which totally proves my point. What Webber is actually saying is consider what we got for Maddison after just 1 season of Championship football whilst coupled with our desperation for money. He’s making it crystal clear that prices will now be higher - not the same.

Also, nowhere does he state the starting price for Emi is £25mil. Strikers are not necessarily more valuable than quality 10’s, that just isn’t true - all depends on the player. There is additional value on a player that has played at the top level and statistically shown he can be amongst many of the best in Europe in various areas. There is no way people can say the same of Ollie Watkins, of whom even Brentford fans say isn’t a patch on Benrahma.

Until and unless Emi gets his move he must continue to perform to his best.  However I think it more telling that there have been no rumours in the press of any interest.  That also applies to Aarons and Godfrey.  Any interest for Emi must be from clubs prepared to pay our asking price, if not Emi to stay he will know this and be prepared to help City to promotion.  Cannot see any of the PL lesser lights meeting £25m.

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Meh, it is what it is.  For ‘best player’ you can also read ‘often petulant’ and has had issues (indeed, he’s currently banned). 

Point of order-he’s not currently banned. 3 match ban, finished last Saturday.

SSN discussing it and talking of £25M.

Why is anyone surprised? At the moment he and Aarons are real jewels and wanted by other clubs. Just the same as we buy from other clubs.

Don't get upset. Just be thankful we enjoyed him while he was here and £25M is great income and we already have replacements for any we sell.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

SSN discussing it and talking of £25M.

Why is anyone surprised? At the moment he and Aarons are real jewels and wanted by other clubs. Just the same as we buy from other clubs.

Don't get upset. Just be thankful we enjoyed him while he was here and £25M is great income and we already have replacements for any we sell.

No, we were told we do not have sell and given he is our best player, I expect him not to be sold unless the offer is ridiculous and to the benefit of the club. No one we have bought is as good as Buendia. 

To tell us we don't have to sell and then sell, taking an offer most don't think is good enough would see Webber and co going back on what the said before.... Let's keep him and push for promotion. The rewards are far more than £25m if you achieve that...

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

No, we were told we do not have sell and given he is our best player, I expect him not to be sold unless the offer is ridiculous and to the benefit of the club. No one we have bought is as good as Buendia. 

To tell us we don't have to sell and then sell, taking an offer most don't think is good enough would see Webber and co going back on what the said before.... Let's keep him and push for promotion. The rewards are far more than £25m if you achieve that...

Whether we think it is good enough is pretty immaterial- unless we're expecting Webber and co to poll the fans on any offer.

We also have no view about what release clauses are in his deal- it may be that we don't have a choice after a certain point.

35 minutes ago, repman said:

It's interesting that Brentford sold Watkins while there has been little interest in their best player Benrahma. I know he's been linked with loads of sides in the prem but nothing has come up yet, I wonder if most teams aren't necessarily looking for wide creative types as a priority.

I think its harder to accommodate those types of players in your side in the prem. When you look at the top prem teams I can;t really think of any who are lacking a Buendia type player and when I look at the bottom half teams I can;t really think of many who play with that type of player in their side. 

For me, those at the bottom end of the table will be more pre-occupied with sorting out their defensive issues over the next few weeks than adding a play maker who creates quite a lot but doesn't always track back and does get dispossessed a bit at that level as well. 

They may be more interested in Godfrey although again his relative inexperience may work in our favour there as they may be looking for someone who is oven-ready now. I see Godfrey, Max and Buendia as all fitting in better at one of the top clubs where they can be nurtured but right now I don;t see that any of the top clubs really need them. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Whether we think it is good enough is pretty immaterial- unless we're expecting Webber and co to poll the fans on any offer.

We also have no view about what release clauses are in his deal- it may be that we don't have a choice after a certain point.

The pinkun usually poll the fans on his behalf. i thought the top story that has just appeared was doing that but it actually doesn't include a poll. 

It will be a test of the ambition of the stowmarket 2 ie will they do the usual and sell out best assets or will they convince him to stay

i suspect I know what the answer will be 

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think its harder to accommodate those types of players in your side in the prem. When you look at the top prem teams I can;t really think of any who are lacking a Buendia type player and when I look at the bottom half teams I can;t really think of many who play with that type of player in their side. 

For me, those at the bottom end of the table will be more pre-occupied with sorting out their defensive issues over the next few weeks than adding a play maker who creates quite a lot but doesn't always track back and does get dispossessed a bit at that level as well. 

They may be more interested in Godfrey although again his relative inexperience may work in our favour there as they may be looking for someone who is oven-ready now. I see Godfrey, Max and Buendia as all fitting in better at one of the top clubs where they can be nurtured but right now I don;t see that any of the top clubs really need them. 

I think he'd be a perfect fit at Wolves and could also fit in at Brighton under Potter. The one that he's been linked with that makes zero sense is Palace.

46 minutes ago, king canary said:

I remember viewing a flat in London that was very obviously a studio but had a flimsy partition wall put up so they could say '1 bed' and add £100 p/m to the rent. 

A friend of mine had a "1 bed" in London, but the kitchen consisted of 2 hobs and one cupboard... in the corner of the bedroom.

if we get promoted, thats another £150m+ which must be factored into any decisions to allow Emi to leave. If he stays and plays a vital role in our promotion then £25m will look like chicken feed. Add to that he would still be worth lots of money and on a long contract so could be sold then... It might be different if his contract was only a year or 2 from expiration