sonyc

Crowds to return?

Ho hum.  No fans for the foreseeable, unless the powers that be change their minds (again).  This can't go on.  The government must make a plan and stick to it.  Are they running the country, or is the virus?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, benchwarmer said:

Ho hum.  No fans for the foreseeable, unless the powers that be change their minds (again).  This can't go on.  The government must make a plan and stick to it.  Are they running the country, or is the virus?

All this from a virus that you need to be tested for to see if you have it.  You know if you have the flu as you couldn't go to the test centre for that as you cant get out of bed for a week.  Worlds gone mad! 

• Sad 2

Interesting piece spotted and sent to me from the Colchester United website about how the income from iFollow streaming works.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/

Bearing in mind that spectators are unlikely to be allowed back in numbers anytime soon it seems blindingly obvious that without some extra income from somewhere soon the outlook for smaller clubs is bleak indeed.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Doesn't look good does it. Pilot binned for the foreseeable. Total waste of time that was. Infection and death rate is only going to increase over winter so looking like most of the season will be in empty stadiums.

Infection rate yes, death rate, we will have to see on that one as people have been predicting that for months.

...but yes I agree with you, I doubt we will use our season tickets this season and I have thought that all the way through this. 

Fair play to NCFC for trying but they were always fighting a losing battle. 

It does make sense the decision , it’s just frustrating that those that did get a glimpse of the hallowed turf probably weren’t the most deserving of the privilege 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It does make sense the decision , it’s just frustrating that those that did get a glimpse of the hallowed turf probably weren’t the most deserving of the privilege 

I hope I'm  excluded from that comment.😉

Just now, ricardo said:

I am as well, I know people who volunteer for the club, people on hundreds of consecutive away games and those who support the club in the community that didn’t get a ticket 

surely this was the time to reward these people for their hard work (I do not include myself in this special group before any body steps in with a smart comment)

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I did think it was a bit ironic that having been the most vociferous about Covid you were at the first match you could get to 😁

22 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Interesting piece spotted and sent to me from the Colchester United website about how the income from iFollow streaming works.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/

Bearing in mind that spectators are unlikely to be allowed back in numbers anytime soon it seems blindingly obvious that without some extra income from somewhere soon the outlook for smaller clubs is bleak indeed.

Thanks for that link, a lot of us on Saturday we’re trying to find out how it worked. I hope you don’t mind but I have copied and pasted a really relevant part of that article which shows clubs like ours will get sizeable incomes ( home and away ) provided the likes of making plans does not persuade everybody to use other streams. 
As fans this is a chance to get behind the club like never before. For an away game we could have several thousand, if not 10s of thousands of £10 notes coming in. Of course it also highlights that a lot of the smaller clubs are destined for bankruptcy unless the bigger clubs and certainly the EPL step in with the finances, and before they plead poverty some of those players could easily have their wages halved for 6 months as an international thing in conjunction with FIFA ( appreciate this will never happen ). Somebody like Messi could almost save our league 1 and 2 teams single handedly.

Streaming Revenues
The way it works currently is that the home team keep all of the revenue for the tickets they sell through their own website and they also get the revenue for the first 500 that buy via the away team. For example: for Saturday’s game against Bolton, we sold 452 iFollow passes, (so we keep all of the revenue from those), and Bolton sold 2252 iFollow passes, (of which we get the revenue from the first 500).

This has put a very new aspect on the revenue that is available to clubs this season. Bolton made more money in gate receipts from our home fixture than we did because they had the revenue from 1,752 iFollow passes whereas we had the revenue from 952 iFollow passes. In normal times, we would have expected about £54,000 in home gate receipts from this fixture but we will receive just shy of £8,000, whereas Bolton would have expected about £600 for the 5% commission we pay them but will have received about £14,000 more than that.

We sold just over 300 streams for the away game against Bradford, so we earnt £0.00 for that away game and I expect that to be the case for every away game this season. So based on twenty three away games, Bolton look set to receive about £345,000 from the streaming of their away games this season whilst we can look forward to approximately £0.00.

12 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I did think it was a bit ironic that having been the most vociferous about Covid you were at the first match you could get to 😁

Indeed but you should be glad that I volunteered to be a Guinea pig. 😉

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Thanks for that link, a lot of us on Saturday we’re trying to find out how it worked. I hope you don’t mind but I have copied and pasted a really relevant part of that article which shows clubs like ours will get sizeable incomes ( home and away ) provided the likes of making plans does not persuade everybody to use other streams. 
As fans this is a chance to get behind the club like never before. For an away game we could have several thousand, if not 10s of thousands of £10 notes coming in. Of course it also highlights that a lot of the smaller clubs are destined for bankruptcy unless the bigger clubs and certainly the EPL step in with the finances, and before they plead poverty some of those players could easily have their wages halved for 6 months as an international thing in conjunction with FIFA ( appreciate this will never happen ). Somebody like Messi could almost save our league 1 and 2 teams single handedly.

Streaming Revenues
The way it works currently is that the home team keep all of the revenue for the tickets they sell through their own website and they also get the revenue for the first 500 that buy via the away team. For example: for Saturday’s game against Bolton, we sold 452 iFollow passes, (so we keep all of the revenue from those), and Bolton sold 2252 iFollow passes, (of which we get the revenue from the first 500).

This has put a very new aspect on the revenue that is available to clubs this season. Bolton made more money in gate receipts from our home fixture than we did because they had the revenue from 1,752 iFollow passes whereas we had the revenue from 952 iFollow passes. In normal times, we would have expected about £54,000 in home gate receipts from this fixture but we will receive just shy of £8,000, whereas Bolton would have expected about £600 for the 5% commission we pay them but will have received about £14,000 more than that.

We sold just over 300 streams for the away game against Bradford, so we earnt £0.00 for that away game and I expect that to be the case for every away game this season. So based on twenty three away games, Bolton look set to receive about £345,000 from the streaming of their away games this season whilst we can look forward to approximately £0.00.

Yes I could certainly see us selling 5,000 plus passes for away games on a regular basis.

On a different note have the club actually announced what happens with refunds etc for season ticket holders. If you buy/redeem an i-follow pass for £10 then does the balance of the value of your ST for that match (i.e. £17/£18) get credited back to your account? Apologies if i've missed an announcement on this but not seen it anywhere.

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

I am as well, I know people who volunteer for the club, people on hundreds of consecutive away games and those who support the club in the community that didn’t get a ticket 

surely this was the time to reward these people for their hard work (I do not include myself in this special group before any body steps in with a smart comment)

Quite right. There was 880 people at both the last league game at Preston on a Wednesday night in February plus the same at the January FA Cup tie. Why should supporters make 500 mile round trips to watch the team if they are not rewarded? Will people make the trip on Good Friday next year even if they are able to?

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Indeed but you should be glad that I volunteered to be a Guinea pig. 😉

If my memory serves me well you had previously indicated you would be staying away and donating your season ticket to a family member. Is my memory failing?

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes I could certainly see us selling 5,000 plus passes for away games on a regular basis.

On a different note have the club actually announced what happens with refunds etc for season ticket holders. If you buy/redeem an i-follow pass for £10 then does the balance of the value of your ST for that match (i.e. £17/£18) get credited back to your account? Apologies if i've missed an announcement on this but not seen it anywhere.

I believe the ifollow service is genuinely free to season ticket holders for home matches and midweek away matches and that season ticket accounts will be credited in full for matches not attended.

As a Norwich supporter of 50 years standing who purchased 1,000 shares in the Club 18 years ago I really want to see the beautiful game come out on the right end of this. This season I bought a Cambridge United seasin ticket because it is important to help out the smaller clubs.

Frankly a Club that has a newly signed footballer earning £2million  per year whom has only played 4 games in 2 seasons at a peak time of his career needs to do better than the position that Uncle Fred outlined and provide a better service for its supporters than the low resolution ifollow.

28 minutes ago, essex canary said:

If my memory serves me well you had previously indicated you would be staying away and donating your season ticket to a family member. Is my memory failing?

You had to provide photo identity to get your ticket and upon entry. I don't  think my great grandson would have got away with the disguise.😁

Once again 'the establishment' have swung a heavy blunt axe in crazy fashion to try and hit an irritating wasp. Instead of 'boxing clever' (which is beyond the realms of this government or any other emanating out of Westminster at the moment) they blunder around with an inconsistency of proclamations, declarations, protocols, 'advice' and / or legislation. 

Of course once they decided to act off the back of rise in cases, hospital admissions etc. over the last two or three weeks, football (and other live sports) were easy targets. Gove this morning gave the clear impression that the return on 1st October was to be at full capacity ('mass openings' he said). Fool. What the Government could have done was put forward a clear, detailed plan to slowly open stadiums up again starting at no more than 10% capacity and gathering data following a month or so of that stage. If it was clear that very few of those fans had subsequently reported symptoms / tested positive etc. then the next stage would be 20%. Each stage could be, say, a month or two months. At any stage the program could be changed, abandoned as circumstances in the country dictated. That way, I think fans would approve of a controlled, step by step 'opening up', much needed income would start to trickle into clubs and the public at large would (probably) endorse that course of action.     

26 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

At any stage the program could be changed, abandoned as circumstances in the country dictated.

Surely that is what has happened? The trial opening up of sports grounds has been paused because of the alarming rise in new cases.

it seems that people want restrictions on anything other than the particular activity they enjoy. It would be highly irresponsible to open grounds up now just when things are getting worse.

Unfortunately, as things stand, fans getting into games this season is beginning to look remote, in my opinion . This virus isn't going away anytime soon. The new restrictions imposed yesterday are for 6 months. Which takes us to the end of March next year. And that's if no further restrictions are imposed. 

16 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Surely that is what has happened? The trial opening up of sports grounds has been paused because of the alarming rise in new cases.

it seems that people want restrictions on anything other than the particular activity they enjoy. It would be highly irresponsible to open grounds up now just when things are getting worse.

'Up to six month's is a long 'pause' in anyone's vocabulary I would say! To allow a well arranged, socially distanced attendance at FCR of 20% (ie. 2700) is highly unlikely to expose anyone to the virus considering that the 'experts' always harp on about 'minimal' risk outdoors. It could be made even safer by closing the refreshment kiosks inside. I believe the Bundesliga has reopened at 20% capacity and cases in Germany are rising (although admittedly at not the same rate so far as here in UK). 

It seems ludicrous that I can go to the cinema (by implication a confined, pretty airless environment) in an internal shopping mall for example yet be not go to an outdoors event where 'mingling' and 'close contact' is minimal. The virus will not be destroyed by lockdowns, restrictions etc. as it will flare up again upon easing (as we've seen) so we have to learn to live with it as many people are now saying. Even the much vaunted vaccine is unlikely to provide anything like full protection and may well need annual shots (like the flu vaccine). So what do we do then?