Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Oliver Skipp in Detail

Think 'every' is a little bit of a white lie - should maybe be titled 'every good touch'.

He certainly made a good impression and looked very assured. Huddersfield won't be the sternest test though to be honest, they looked very blunt up front. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 1

Thanks Thirsty. Very good to watch. Love seeing such midfield play, always finding a team mate. He drew a few fouls too. Great awareness. Reminds me a little of Chippy. Nice to see he enjoys the game too. I think we've found that central 'heartbeat' in midfield we have so much needed.

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think 'every' is a little bit of a white lie - should maybe be titled 'every good touch'.

He certainly made a good impression and looked very assured. Huddersfield won't be the sternest test though to be honest, they looked very blunt up front. 

Thought he did well for a young fella. Anyone got any idea on his market value? Did a couple of two footed moves that we'd  never see from Tettso. I really like to see a player use both feet.

He got clattered a few times. Were they targetting him or were they just generally poor at tackling?

8 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Lucky getting nutmegged on the edge of the box doesn't count as a touch. 😉

That was actually a lovely piece of skill from the Huddersfield player to be fair. 

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Thought he did well for a young fella. Anyone got any idea on his market value? Did a couple of two footed moves that we'd  never see from Tettso. I really like to see a player use both feet.

He is easily in the £20m bracket at the moment. Not because he is necessarily that good, but buying players out of Tottenham is an expensive business and the fans absolutely love Skipp. Would have to be a crazy offer to get Tottenham to sell him.  If in a couple of seasons he still hasn't broken through it might be a different story of course.

12 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

That was actually a lovely piece of skill from the Huddersfield player to be fair. 

Oh yeah, not a criticism really, but not one you want people watching over and over.

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He is easily in the £20m bracket at the moment. Not because he is necessarily that good, but buying players out of Tottenham is an expensive business and the fans absolutely love Skipp. Would have to be a crazy offer to get Tottenham to sell him.  If in a couple of seasons he still hasn't broken through it might be a different story of course.

Ok.  So not beyond our reach if we get promoted.  ( yeah , I know). Was thinking  on Saturday that he may not be a Jose type DM.... not 6'4" plus etc. There again after yesterday Jose may not be at  WHL  very long  , criticising  his players publicly after the first game of the season, its like hes reverted to type  in  the shortest time yet since being at spurs. Used to be his 3rd season that was a problem, now it's his 3rd month. 

Whatever  the future holds for Skipp  , I hope he  builds on a decent first run out for us.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok.  So not beyond our reach if we get promoted.  ( yeah , I know). Was thinking  on Saturday that he may not be a Jose type DM.... not 6'4" plus etc. There again after yesterday Jose may not be at  WHL  very long  , criticising  his players publicly after the first game of the season, its like hes reverted to type  in  the shortest time yet since being at spurs. Used to be his 3rd season that was a problem, now it's his 3rd month. 

Whatever  the future holds for Skipp  , I hope he  builds on a decent first run out for us.

I doubt Skipp would want to leave Tottenham anytime soon. 

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Proper brexit tackles those, thankfully for them the ref was blind

And if one of those tackles had left one on the player, would it have been a remainiac tackle?

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I doubt Skipp would want to leave Tottenham anytime soon. 

It may not be up to him as you probably already know. Players are very much commodities . But I get what you're saying  , and who could blame him? 

All depends on who's  in front of him in his position at Spurs. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

The impressive bit (and something we struggle with when Tetney isn't playing) is his positional awareness. Dropping in between centre halves, covering the fullbacks when they are caught forward etc etc. Looks like a very intelligent player with some ability and confidence to go along with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

My Spurs supporting mate said he was surprised Jose let him out on loan. 

He's well regarded by the manager and the fans at Spurs. Maybe another year on loan?! All hypothetical of course

On 14/09/2020 at 17:31, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Oh yeah, not a criticism really, but not one you want people watching over and over.

I have just seen Quest's advert for their EFL programme. People are watching it over and over.😳😀

Looked pretty good overall today, though god alone knows what he was thinking when giving that Pen away - there was no threat at all unless the PNE guy can jump 10 feet in the air!

Edited by Branston Pickle

Skipp wasn't great today but that really was a soft pen to be given, hardly touched the guy to be fair.

Still, I'd rather have Skipp being great one week and not so good the next, instead of the permanent 5/6 out of 10 that McLean is EVERY week.

• Like 1

He is going to have to learn, that’s why he’s with us.

He made mistakes today as they all did, but some lovely powerful runs through mid field, something we haven’t seen too often from someone in a yellow shirt. Didn’t look like Farkeball today!

40 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Looked pretty good overall today, though god alone knows what he was thinking when giving that Pen away - there was no threat at all unless the PNE guy can jump 10 feet in the air!

I guess he was thinking that it was never, ever, ever a penalty in a million years. He was right.

PNE players were well motivated and high energy with an intent to give Skipp some extra attention. I thought they might not be able to maintain the levels and a fair result, in the end, undefeated and 4th👍

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Except it was, as it was given. He gave the ref a decision to make that was completely unnecessary; very naive but he’ll learn from it.

I don't even think it was naive. It was just a terrible decision. Whilst you're technically right because it was a penalty, it definitely shouldn't have been a penalty and if that is the benchmark, every single corner, attacking free kick or cross into the box will result in a penalty and each game will end up 10-10. Football is a contact sport, you are allowed to touch him, you are not allowed to foul him. Show me someone who thinks he was fouled and I will show you an idiot.

Ref was in a poor position there. He'd have seen it somewhat from the back. If you look at it side-on, it is incredibly soft.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think it was a penalty, but it was a little naive by Skipp.

For me, the second Preston goal was a bigger error by Skipp. He lost Sinclair who ran in behind him untracked to end up one-on-one with Krul for the initial shot.

In some ways it was similar to a Pukki type move from previous seasons. I watched some footage of training from earlier this week and a good portion was  crossing and heading involving amongst others, Pukki👍.

The ability to vary our threat and how we create chances on goal is very welcome and bodes well for the coming season.