Sign in to follow this  
Doomcaster

Sell Cantwell or Buendia?

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Danny Mills got 19 international caps & Mark Barham's couple are largely forgotton. Chris Sutton won titles in England & Scotland. Neither Mills or Sutton are particularly popular with the haters so @Bethnal Yellow and Green's theory about "ones of our own" seem spot on.

I never count Chris Sutton because he wasn't born in Norfolk. Definitely one of the greatest to come through at Norwich though👍

Danny Mills......

5 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

hahahaha

If you think Webber will sell Cantwell this summer or in January for less than £10m you must have been huffing on something.

And whatever he's  huffing on, I'd  like to  try, just the once mind, you know   research n all that.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

So you recognise that he’s not the finished article, and will get even better and better as he develops his game, yet you want to sell him to let the new boys come through as Todd’s not consistent enough right now and needs to improve?

Show me where I said "I want him to be sold".  I haven't said that. I have always qualified my comments with both sides of the argument - ie - if he is going to be sold then we shouldn't be too disappointed because we have depth and quality in the squad, but if he stays then he has to step it up even more than last season.  It's not a simple "I want him to be sold"

I simply won't buy into this idea that the sun shines out of hios backside and people should not criticise him. This season we need players who are right at it. He could be one of them, but imo he has to step up even more than he did last season - and if he can do that, all well and good. 

I wrote this earlier, it sums up what I think.  "Would he be better off moving to develop his career - maybe. Do we want him to move? It's a funny question really, because if he wants to move and is going to be sold anyway, then yes, I want him to go, but if he wants to stay, then I will think great, now show us what you can become as a player." 

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Fair enough my mistake!

He did! Pages 3-4 of the ''Todd Can'twell'' thread. Not sure if he is still of the same opinion however, hopefully he's been convinced away from this view..

It's ok, fortunately  Lakeyo only posts on here, he doesnt make any decisions on transfer policy or squad management, else its be Dorrans on the left and Todd not allowed to play until he got a real mans haircut.

22 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

So you recognise that he’s not the finished article, and will get even better and better as he develops his game, yet you want to sell him to let the new boys come through as Todd’s not consistent enough right now and needs to improve?

You've said it for me so LDC - I refer you to above.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

It's ok, fortunately  Lakeyo only posts on here, he doesnt make any decisions on transfer policy or squad management

Ahh, but you don't know who my contacts are at the club........

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Show me where I said "I want him to be sold".  I haven't said that. I have always qualified my comments with both sides of the argument - ie - if he is going to be sold then we shouldn't be too disappointed because we have depth and quality in the squad, but if he stays then he has to step it up even more than last season.  It's not a simple "I want him to be sold"

I simply won't buy into this idea that the sun shines out of hios backside and people should not criticise him. This season we need players who are right at it. He could be one of them, but imo he has to step up even more than he did last season - and if he can do that, all well and good. 

I wrote this earlier, it sums up what I think.  "Would he be better off moving to develop his career - maybe. Do we want him to move? It's a funny question really, because if he wants to move and is going to be sold anyway, then yes, I want him to go, but if he wants to stay, then I will think great, now show us what you can become as a player." 

Step up more than last season? You mean more than be our second top scorer in the prem, and a midfielder to boot? What does he need to do? Break all records existing in the championship and score 45 league goals alongside 30 assists?

Just now, lake district canary said:

Ahh, but you don't know who my contacts are at the club........

It's ok, I dont think Gladys the Tea lady and Bert the groundsman have much say , either.  

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I've already replied to that.

Additionall you literally said on another thread that it would be better for US and THEM if Emi and Cantwell moved on elsewhere...hence Alex's post, likely.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Step up more than last season? You mean more than be our second top scorer in the prem, and a midfielder to boot? What does he need to do? Break all records existing in the championship and score 45 league goals alongside 30 assists?

For an attacking midfielder in the championship in a team pushing for promotion, he ought to be targeting at least ten goals this season, as if we are going to be near the top, we are going to need to score plenty pf goals.  And he needs to give more assists.  I want more from him.  

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He is good, but there are times when he isn't so good.  Does that help?  Or is he perfect in every way?  

So, like literally every other player ever? If your standard for a squad place is perfection, we might have a problem.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

For an attacking midfielder in the championship in a team pushing for promotion, he ought to be targeting at least ten goals this season, as if we are going to be near the top, we are going to need to score plenty pf goals.  And he needs to give more assists.  I want more from him.  

Just wondering  when you did your goalpost shifting course?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Additionall you literally said on another thread that it would be better for US and THEM if Emi and Cantwell moved on elsewhere...hence Alex's post, likely.

Gawwddd.......yes, do I have to explain everything multiple times?  I said it might be better if they had a fresh challenge. If they are thinking along those lines that they want away (and we don't really know what they are thinking) but if they are thinking that, then better they go, yes, for them and us.  I suppose I'd better spell out the obvious (although I shouldn't need to) - that the converse is also true, if they are happy to stay then good for them, lets see what they've got.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Gawwddd.......yes, do I have to explain everything multiple times?  I said it might be better if they had a fresh challenge. If they are thinking along those lines that they want away (and we don't really know what they are thinking) but if they are thinking that, then better they go, yes, for them and us.  I suppose I'd better spell out the obvious (although I shouldn't need to) - that the converse is also true, if they are happy to stay then good for them, lets see what they've got.

Aaaah , the old " you're all too thick to grasp the true meaning of my posts" trick. 

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Show me where I said "I want him to be sold".  I haven't said that.

On 11/09/2020 at 11:39, lake district canary said:

We need to move on from the last two years, employ the new players we have brought in and let these two go

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Aaaah , the old " you're all too thick to grasp the true meaning of my posts" trick. 

In some cases yes. An understanding of English would help some people, instead of latching on to buzz words that happen to fit their agenda.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In some cases yes. An understanding of English would help some people, instead of latching on to buzz words that happen to fit their agenda.

I would be very surprised if Cantwell and Emi stay. The squad is far too big now and something has to give, so I would expect them both to go.  We need to move on from the last two years, employ the new players we have brought in and let these two go, which is after all the point of developing exciting players - letting them develop and then seeing them move on and allowing others to move up into the limelight. 

Right. And how is my English comprehension supposed to change what you've written into something entirely different to suit your current argument?

Just now, hogesar said:

Right. And how is my English comprehension supposed to change what you've written into something entirely different to suit your current argument?

Of course.  Its Rule no1 when dealing with ' Contrary Mary '.

I wouldn’t want either to go but I do think that if we keep Buendia then we get promoted, simple as that. He’s a very unique, talented individual. Unfortunately I think that makes him the one most likely to depart. You don’t get the stats he did last season and end up staying in the championship I’m afraid. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Hoggy, I don’t think we can all be wrong!

The bottom line is despite Lakey’s bizarre denials, he thinks we should move on not only Todd but Emi too to bring through the new players. That is of course exactly what it says on the tin. So if he’s now denying he wants them sold like he’s claiming, what does he want us to do with them? Bury them under a patio? Send them to a shooting range? A holiday with Lord Lucan?

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Hoggy, I don’t think we can all be wrong!

The bottom line is despite Lakey’s bizarre denials, he thinks we should move on not only Todd but Emi too to bring through the new players. That is of course exactly what it says on the tin. So if he’s now denying he wants them sold like he’s claiming, what does he want us to do with them? Bury them under a patio? Send them to a shooting range? A holiday with Lord Lucan?

Replace Dorrans, on the left.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

So Lakey... ?

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:
34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Show me where I said "I want him to be sold".  I haven't said that.

We need to move on from the last two years, employ the new players we have brought in and let these two go

The full quote - "We need to move on from the last two years, employ the new players we have brought in and let these two go, which is after all the point of developing exciting players - letting them develop and then seeing them move on and allowing others to move up into the limelight."  

So I'm sorry, but that doesn't equate to "I want them sold". It equates to the idea that the project in place demands that players are sold on at the height of their powers.  If we are going down the "I want them sold" route, I would only say that if they want to move away and of course, I don't know that. 

In other words, if they want to go, then that is a good reason for wanting them to go!  The opposite - if they want to stay - then great, I'd say "show us what you've got".

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

No need to try to be so patronising. 

Constructive criticism about a player is fine(this doesn't include complaints about hairstyles) but we are seeing complaints here about Cantwell after every game although he hasn't done badly. 

And the "not the finished article" argument is rubbish, you could say that about any young player, he was probably, our best attacking player last season but that wasn't good enough for you. 

He is doing what he is being told to do at the moment, developing more as a team player. We can all see he has tremendous natural talent. 

The pass to Hernandez was excellent , Hernandez then wasted four good chances to pass and shot straight at the goalkeeper. 

As for moving, all this pointless negatively is more likely to make him want away to somewhere he is appreciated. 

1 hour ago, curious yellow said:

And the "not the finished article" argument is rubbish, you could say that about any young player, he was probably, our best attacking player last season but that wasn't good enough for you.

Yes, the not finished article could be applied to every young player, but it isn't rubbish to say so - it is simply saying how it is.

The point is - how much further is a player going to go in their career. You reach one level, then you have to step up. You reach another level then you have to step up again. To my mind Todd stepped up a big level in the championship season. He then took a bigger step last season - but he has to step it up again this season - because even more will be expected of him.  That may happen as a matter of course, or he may have to dig deep to do it. It doesn't matter that its the championship rather than the PL, the expectation is that he will be very influential in our success this season - and that won't be easy for him as he will be a marked man by every opposition team. So yes, he has to step it up again.

Of course he might have desires elsewhere, we don't know, but if a PL club comes in for him, then he will likely go - and then he will have to fight for a place in whichever club he goes to, which again will not be easy. 

I don't think it's negative to comment on how you see a footballer's career developing - and I think my attitude is one of fairness and trying to see both sides of it.

If he goes - and/or Buendia - it will hopefully be in the best interests of the club and the players themselves - I've said I wouldn't mind if they left - really because what is the point in minding about it?  If they go, they go, if they stay, they stay - and they make the best job of it wherever they are. My assumption was that one or both would go and I still think that, so personally, I'm looking forward to seeing something develop from the new players we have brought in. Maybe even see Mclean further forwards this season which I believe Farke has talked about somewhere. 

So, yes, I say a lot of things and get myself in a muddle, mainly because I try and see both sides of the coin. Things are rarely black and white and while I don't hero worship Todd, I certainly don't think he is deserving of derisory criticism, which I have seen on social media and which is despicable.  The underlying problem is that people want a black or white position, "you're either for them or you're against them" kind of position, which is frankly a sign of the times we live in and imo doesn't help anyone - the more you're for something, the more you are likely to get an extreme opposite reaction.  If people don't want a balanced view then that is up to them, but nothing I have said has been extreme, nor negative, nor unpleasant towards the player. Nothing. I hope he has a great season for us or if he leaves for whoever he goes to.  What could be fairer than that?