Sign in to follow this  
Doomcaster

Sell Cantwell or Buendia?

Personally they are both excellent players with bags of potential, can play across the park either on the flanks or as a number ten. We have two exceptionally fast wingers in Hernandez and Placheta to mix it up, and we have cover in Dowell ans Sinani for the 46 games.

If we go up we will need all our best players again. Unless an utterly daft offer is made or either Cantwell or Buendia actually request a transfer then of course it’s best to keep our best players and get rid of the likes of Steipermann, Vrancic, Leitner and Drmic to lesson the load on the finances. If we get these off the book I doubt we’ll need to sell anyone.

Just read through this thread and frankly I feel cheated. Can I get a refund on the last 10 minutes like on iFollow?

If it is a choice between the two then you have to sell Cantwell really. The price at this moment in time would be reasonably similar for either of them. Todd scored a good amount of goals last season and is excellent at playing one touch in tight spaces but it is not clear whether he has the ability to take the ball and progress it up the pitch as regularly as Buendia can. Buendia last year was one of the league's best in terms of both passing forward and dribbling forward. Maybe Todd will be able to do these things, but he hasn't shown it yet and I'm not sure it's worth the risk in this season.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

For an attacking midfielder in the championship in a team pushing for promotion, he ought to be targeting at least ten goals this season, as if we are going to be near the top, we are going to need to score plenty pf goals.  And he needs to give more assists.  I want more from him.  

Did you not see his stats from Saturday ?, he does do more now, but we no longer try to beat sides 8 - 7 we defend from the front, press teams and if we get a goal in front we manage the game we don’t try to score another 6. On Saturday he won more headers than Zimmerman, he won more duals than Skipp he made ( I believe without checking absolutely every bodies stats ) the most tackles on the pitch. Last year you told us it wasn’t about looking good, only winning mattered. Playing Farke ball didn’t keep us up. This year I am sure it will be a mixture of Farke ball and more boring ball with the opportunity to switch during games. The bigger your squad this year the better your chance of surviving the distance as games will come even quicker than a normal EFL season and even when we have a break the vast majority will be on International duty.

And before you say stats are meaningless I would say if you really think that you are supporting the wrong team. I would even go as far as to say most of our incomings are firstly highlighted via stats, finding players such as Bundeia who are achieving unusual stats for a side near the bottom of the league they are in.

I have said repeatedly that I am a big fan of Cantwell, and he’d become a fantastic player if only he could score. Which he then duly did. 

And Emi didn’t. However IMO if we had to sell one it would be Cantwell if only because his playing style seems better suited to the PL than Championship and Emi tears this league up. 

Of the five “young guns”, not fussed that Jamal left, wouldn’t be sad to see Cantwell go if for a big fee,  but I’d like to see Aaron’s stay as well as Emi and Godfrey (paired with Gibson eventually)

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, the not finished article could be applied to every young player, but it isn't rubbish to say so - it is simply saying how it is.

The point is - how much further is a player going to go in their career. You reach one level, then you have to step up. You reach another level then you have to step up again. To my mind Todd stepped up a big level in the championship season. He then took a bigger step last season - but he has to step it up again this season - because even more will be expected of him.  That may happen as a matter of course, or he may have to dig deep to do it. It doesn't matter that its the championship rather than the PL, the expectation is that he will be very influential in our success this season - and that won't be easy for him as he will be a marked man by every opposition team. So yes, he has to step it up again.

That is all fine but I think what confuses people is it applies to everyone but you only ever say it about Cantwell. I've never seen you say similar about Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia etc etc, just Todd. And you do pop up on pretty much every thread about him, generally without anything much positive to say. After awhile it just starts to look like you've got something against him ala Snodgrass, especially when your criticisms make very little sense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

After awhile it just starts to look like you've got something against him ala Snodgrass, especially when your criticisms make very little sense.

My criticisms of Snodgrass were because I thought he could be a lot better for the team if he was a bit less selfish. I cared about Snodgrass to start with and wanted him to improve, but I got more and more frustrated watching him play, realising that he was not going to do that.  

I also care about Todd - that he makes the best of himself that he possibly can do.  He is still pretty young for a footballer and has made huge progress - but there is more progress to make and the danger is for young footballers is that they can feel they have arrived when they really haven't and their career stagnates. If he stays his challenge is to be a dominant figure this season, if he goes to a PL club, he will have that challenge of competing with other big money players for a place in their team. Which of those challenges he gets we will see in the next few weeks, but either way I want the best for him.

Finally, for me the real satisfaction I get about watching any player is to see how they develop. Not all of them do develop that much and some just are what they are (like Snodgrass) and that always frustrates me, because for me the challenge in life in whatever you are doing, is to try and improve - to always challenge yourself to do better.  That is not always easy - people can get side tracked (money and fame are two things that can derail a young footballer), they can believe they are as good as they are going to get and stop trying to learn, they can simply lose their enthusiasm for what they are doing - but every one of them has to be careful to keep their feet on the ground and always want to learn.

23 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

If you watched Kenny Foggo in 1976 you must have had a time machine...

No - standing at the front of the River Stand - I was there & still alive & kicking

Still a supporter 100%, I read all posts & also attend home matches (when they are available)

Long time supporter of the Canaries - that's why I get frustrated with nasty posts against me - really nasty posts from some people 

I suffer with dyslexia - so an idiot picking me up on a name or spelling mistake is not nice (as I do my very best)

After reading the article on Buendia - looks like we wants to move on

Don't blame him to be honest, as he is a Premiership player for sure.  He needs to get his head in gear, & again enjoy his football

No1 creative player in midfield imho for us in the Championship - we will miss him a huge amount

Cantwell - just to help him, he needs to improve his physically - just a bit (lot) lightweight

34 minutes ago, Doomcaster said:

No - standing at the front of the River Stand - I was there & still alive & kicking

Was he playing for Southend or Chelmsford at the time?

(I had to google it, I had no idea when he played for us).

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I was sold after winning promotion in 1972... Was gutted and disappointed

Stood at the River End as a young boy - after all my family & Uncles, with their boys attended every home match

1972 - Kenny Foggo on the wing - you are still my hero from that era

Kenneth Taylor Foggo is a former football player. He started his football career with West Bromwich Albion, but is best remembered for his time with Norwich City F.C., for which he played from 1967 to 1972. Wikipedia

Anyway - after taking a jog down memory lane with Ken Foggo & friends, back to my topic

If Beundia has his head in the right place - he is possibly the best creative player in the Championship (may well get a huge move if we promote again this season)

Cantwell = local boy done very well - but just take the cash if it is available, not sure any decent sum will be on the table to be honest 

On 15/09/2020 at 12:11, All the Germans said:

NCFC has a lotta of history  - you should respect supporters that have supported NCFC a lot longer than you