Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Is Placheta the fastest Norwich player we Have had in years?

Assume you're all trying to refer to our animal-loathing Polish winger, Paw Hater?*

Anyway, the answer to the OP is yes.

*(source: TV commentator, 12/09/2020)

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Discuss.

Depends how far you want to go back but Darren Eadie was the quickest Norwich player I've ever seen by a country mile. Will always remember him coming on in the second half v Vitesse Arnhem. First time he got the ball he had the opportunity to take on the full back. Said to my friend ...............'you just watch this'. Eadie pushed the ball past the guy and destroyed him, shot off like a hare down the wing.  So annoying and frustrating that we can't watch live this Placheta boy as searing pace is one thing fans love and defenders hate!        

• Like 1

I always remember a pre-season friendly against Spurs, lost 5-1 from recollection. Anyway, they had a young and very quick Gareth Bale on the pitch and I remember Jon Otsemebor giving him 5 yards and the look an Bale's face when Otsemebor put on the after burners to beat him to the ball. He was pretty rapid

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Hernandez on one wing and him on the other

untouchable!

And Idah in the middle, that would be terrifying away from home front line for opposition defence to deal with. Leave them up front when we’re defending corners and suddenly we have 5 defenders back marking them. 😉

17 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

And Idah in the middle, that would be terrifying away from home front line for opposition defence to deal with. Leave them up front when we’re defending corners and suddenly we have 5 defenders back marking them. 😉

Think most teams home and away are going to play the cagey, defensive, attritional style Huddersfield adopted. So we'll likely need our most technical players on the pitch to try to create around the box. Pace on the subs bench is a huge bonus though.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It was definitely a statement that we weren’t happy with a point and fancied the gamble playing 2 forwards. This might be a real asset when teams park the bus, especially games at Carrow road. 

We just looked better, without support Pukki looks a little isolated, going back two years Steipermann was definitely up there just off Pukki or Rhodes, we look a little more threatening. Idah if he stays focused will become  a fantastic player, he’s got all the tools.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

We just looked better, without support Pukki looks a little isolated, going back two years Steipermann was definitely up there just off Pukki or Rhodes, we look a little more threatening. Idah if he stays focused will become  a fantastic player, he’s got all the tools.

Pukki’s turns and movement were more like it in the 2nd half. Do hope he just hammers one home soon to build up the confidence and terrorise opposition defenders again. 

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Depends how far you want to go back but Darren Eadie was the quickest Norwich player I've ever seen by a country mile. Will always remember him coming on in the second half v Vitesse Arnhem. First time he got the ball he had the opportunity to take on the full back. Said to my friend ...............'you just watch this'. Eadie pushed the ball past the guy and destroyed him, shot off like a hare down the wing.  So annoying and frustrating that we can't watch live this Placheta boy as searing pace is one thing fans love and defenders hate!        

I had a similar thought about Eadie in that game too - were they wearing a purple jersey? And Ruel Fox is still one of my all time favourites. I remember being bitterly disappointed when he was flogged. It still hurts how that squad was dismantled. Talent sold off, Culverhouse cast aside, Polston left, Butterworth crocked himself on the Norfolk Broads if the aul memory serves, the Robert Chase effect, took years to recover. Between the end of that era and the Heysel-related non-trips to Europe, it begs the questions of what might have been!

7 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

I had a similar thought about Eadie in that game too - were they wearing a purple jersey? And Ruel Fox is still one of my all time favourites. I remember being bitterly disappointed when he was flogged. It still hurts how that squad was dismantled. Talent sold off, Culverhouse cast aside, Polston left, Butterworth crocked himself on the Norfolk Broads if the aul memory serves, the Robert Chase effect, took years to recover. Between the end of that era and the Heysel-related non-trips to Europe, it begs the questions of what might have been!

Nope, re. the bit in bold - assuming you mean Eadie's debut. Arnhem had white shirts with what look like thin dark blue or black stripes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I always remember a pre-season friendly against Spurs, lost 5-1 from recollection. Anyway, they had a young and very quick Gareth Bale on the pitch and I remember Jon Otsemebor giving him 5 yards and the look an Bale's face when Otsemebor put on the after burners to beat him to the ball. He was pretty rapid

Yes! I remember that. Hilarious. It was just a shame that Otsemobor wasn't much cop at actual football.

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Discuss.

8 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If I were a mod, anyone who just posts "Discuss" would get banned.

Sounds just like a school teacher.

And who liked school?

Always thought Jamal could really shift it a bit when needed. But had to watch the highlights back to check out *that* run by our new boy. No question about it, he will be an amazing asset - he’s like sh1t off a shovel! 🏃‍♂️ 

18 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I remember that moment well. The look of shock on the Arnhem player's face was a joy to behold 

Pace without the ball is one thing-I remember Eden Hazard coming on as a sub for Chelsea in the FA Cup replay-I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone dribbling the ball as quick as him.

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

Pace without the ball is one thing-I remember Eden Hazard coming on as a sub for Chelsea in the FA Cup replay-I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone dribbling the ball as quick as him.

Freddie Ljungberg was very nippy with the ball at his feet.

17 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

All these replies and no mention of Hucks yet! He absolutely took the **** out of this league while with us

With Hucks he was quick sure, but it was his dribbling speed and ability to seamlessly change direction with the ball to bamboozle defenders that was insane, something I'd argue is actually much more useful than raw pace without the ball if you're an attacker. 

We've had a few very quick attackers in recent years Onel, Remond, The Murphys etc, but when dribbling with the ball none of them were outstandingly quick imo. I rarely see Hernandez for example blow past 2 or more defenders with the ball at his feet like Hucks used to despite being really quick. 

I Haven't seen much of Placheta yet, but he looks more in the Hernandez mould to me. 

Just now, GenerationA47 said:

Said nobody ever..

.... except Green Frogs and Gammon

Gammon?

bit weird you’d bring up ham

nice one on being Offended by a cartoon frog though lad, you are winning at life #StayWoke

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Gammon?

bit weird you’d bring up ham

nice one on being Offended by a cartoon frog though lad, you are winning at life #StayWoke

No I like frogs 🙂, just the far right hate sympathies behind your chosen political symbol that I despise .

Same with gammon, no problem at all with outraged older establishment gents with circulation problems, just the xenophobia behind the trope

#triggeron, Ron 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

No I like frogs 🙂, just the far right hate sympathies behind your chosen political symbol that I despise .

Same with gammon, no problem at all with outraged older establishment gents with circulation problems, just the xenophobia behind the trope

#triggeron, Ron 

So you like frogs but are upset by cartoon frogs? Where do you stand on Kermit, does he just sort of wind you up a little bit?

i think a big part of why you are so upset is that you classify everyone who isn’t at this very moment 5hagging a copy of the guardian while the wife is out with her boyfriend is “far right” if you weren’t so intolerant of everyone maybe you wouldn’t be so mentally ill? Just a thought

On 13/09/2020 at 12:21, C.I.D said:

As was Errol Crossan 

Yes Crossan was really fast,Canadian winger city bought from Southend in 1958

Fastest player Norwich have had and in conditions some present players would last 5 minutes 

39 minutes ago, daly said:

Yes Crossan was really fast,Canadian winger city bought from Southend in 1958

Fastest player Norwich have had and in conditions some present players would last 5 minutes 

LOL.......they wouldn't have the strength to even lift their delicate little feet off the ground on the gluepots that Crossan played on and ......wearing boots the equivalent of Doc Martens with nailed-in studs 😉

Edited by C.I.D

On 13/09/2020 at 12:45, Don’t be Krul said:

If Otsemober could concentrate he'd have been a top player. He could do everything apart from stay focused for 90 minutes. 

Placheta Needs Space to Run into with Defenders high up the Pitch he will destroy them with pace 

that's where i hope Farke is a little More Direct 

No point Knocking the ball about at the back let defenders get back sit deep and then say here you go Placheta do your stuff when there are 10 players behind the ball and defenders doubling up on him 

if we are defending a set piece i would tell him to stay up and anyone who clears the ball send it long maybe not pretty but would be effective