Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

A good start

A good start to the season ,3 points and a good performance. Never looked under pressure and able to play great passing football.Wouldnt be surprised if we won next 4 or 5 games.Signs look good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr footy said:

A good start to the season ,3 points and a good performance. Never looked under pressure and able to play great passing football.Wouldnt be surprised if we won next 4 or 5 games.Signs look good.

Famous last words. 

It was a good start, good for confidence, good for getting to the end of the 12 game losing streak. Things will improve drastically once Emi is back so all things to look forward to.

Sorry, cannot agree.

There was a lot of huffing & puffing but Huddersfield had the better chances until we scored, when our confidence started to return. Not Teemu's, unfortunately; he looks hesitant, terrified of missing.

The performance overall reminded me of Daniel's first season here. But there's plenty of time for improvement. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

I think it was an emotion of relief more than anything.  A good result finally, the first in the league since February I think.  The way it was achieved was ok too, we should have had two penalties after all and it just gives us a sense that we're back in business. It feels to me like a building block, like the first brick in the wall. Long way to go, but you have to start somewhere and that was as good a start as we could have hoped for.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Sorry, cannot agree.

There was a lot of huffing & puffing but Huddersfield had the better chances until we scored, when our confidence started to return. Not Teemu's, unfortunately; he looks hesitant, terrified of missing.

The performance overall reminded me of Daniel's first season here. But there's plenty of time for improvement. Here's hoping.

When you've lost 12 on the bounce, even a scrappy 1-0 win is a huge thing. Hopefully the swagger comes back as we remember what winning feels like.

36 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Sorry, cannot agree.

I dont think Huddersfield had the better chances at all. They only had one shot inside our area.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont think Huddersfield had the better chances at all. They only had one shot inside our area.

True, but better teams would have buried a couple of the chances they did have. Apart from Onel's individual brilliance, we didn't create much at all in the way of chances.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

True, but better teams would have buried a couple of the chances they did have. Apart from Onel's individual brilliance, we didn't create much at all in the way of chances.

Huddersfield started off better, then after about 12 minutes or so we started threatening them. Huddersfield then turned much more defensive and pretty much “parked the bus”. We were looking far more likely to score and as the ball was more near the halfway line or in Huddersfield’s half. Personally I felt we were the better side and deserved to win - 16 attempts, 5 on target, Huddersfield 7 attempts, 1 on target

It’s also not easy to score when you’re near the halfway line and have to get past almost all the opposition

Yes, we dominated possession but didn't really create much. Better teams would have put away their (few) chances. I remember Pritchard getting clean through but finishing with a tame shot. There were a couple of other incidents, & it got very hairy just before Onel's first half counter attack. I'm sure we'll improve as the team gets the measure of each others game though.

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yes, we dominated possession but didn't really create much. Better teams would have put away their (few) chances. I remember Pritchard getting clean through but finishing with a tame shot. There were a couple of other incidents, & it got very hairy just before Onel's first half counter attack. I'm sure we'll improve as the team gets the measure of each others game though.

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Better teams like Forest who everyone expects to be in and around the playoffs, who have the third highest scorer in the division last season, the same striker who missed a couple of absolute sitters yesterday? In this division you don’t get punished as much as in the prem. 

Huddersfield could have put some of their chances away, but didn’t - and only really had half chances at best. Equally, we could have put some of our chances away, but didn’t until the one we did. 

Don’t recall any clear cut chances for Huddersfield at all, some half chances maybe but that was about it - they had one shot on target the whole game I think, and looked toothless, though our defenders etc can take credit for controlling that. Was most impressed that on the basis of that game at least, we’ve stopped fannying around at the back. We looked much better in that respect. Don’t think that performance was the yardstick for the season ahead though, I think we’ll get much better than that. Really looking forward to Preston and Bournemouth now 👍

20 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

That was relatively comfortable win and you fully expected a Norwich win the more the 2nd half continued if viewing. 

4 hours ago, mr footy said:

Yes a solid start and another goal would've eased the tension a bit. We'll probably be good enough to mount a serious challeng  but I'm not getting carried away just yet.

Remember all those ' On Loan To The Endsleigh League " shirts ? That ended well......

I think one of the most promising things from yesterday was how tired and leggy huddersfield began to look as we entered the later stages of the 2nd half. We certainly kept going and in these early games points can come cheaply and you need to take advantage.

We got the three points and that is the type of result we want, ones where we are finding our feet and our fitness or one or two bits of quality get us the result.

As the season continues momentum, cohesion comes more in to the fold. But take advantage early. It is great to get points and get moving. I always look at how quickly you can get to 10, to 20 points and so on.

Clean sheet, scored later in the game are all good things to have.

I think one of the biggest things will be how we react and come back from being a goal down. That test will come but for now, 3 points and Emi returns.

Watched some of the first half, dire. Ultimately though to come away with 3 points will build confidence and the losing streak is now history.