Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Be grateful

We won today without playing well , the sign of a great side as they say,yet we still have people moaning and the Kenny haters have come out in their numbers , let's get behind the side otbc😃

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

We won today without playing well , the sign of a great side as they say,yet we still have people moaning and the Kenny haters have come out in their numbers , let's get behind the side otbc😃

Unfortunately Kenny is the master of none. He reminds me of Jerry Goss before he went on that 18 month spell where he was unbelievable. Up until that point it was common chat amongst  people I knew asking what he actually did apart from run about a lot. Ditto Kenny. Kenny is not very good a shielding the defence, he’s not creative and he doesn’t score. So apart from that he’s brilliant. 

I know it took a long time to find the net, but I feel that we’re the better the better side overall. Huddersfield started off quite threatening, but once we got going they turned very defensive. Lets not forget that the ref also denied us 2 clear spot-kicks, we worked hard to break down their tight defence, and the full time stats said we made 16 attempts, 5 on target, Huddersfield had 7, 1 on target.

Lets also not forget at the end of the day, 3 points is 3 points.

It seems to me like some fans on here were expecting us to thrash them

• Like 1

I'm grateful for the three points away from home, for a clean sheet, for ending the worst run of defeats in the history of the club, for a win to raise morale & help to shake off the relegation blues, to actually win a season opener, for Quintilla looking like a tidy replacement for Jamal, for Aarons, Godfrey & Cantwell still wearing yellow, for Buendia still to come in, for no CB injuries, for Idah to notch, for Pukki to grow into the game (with real support finally), for Placheta to look lively, for Skipp to possibly be the signing we've desperately needed for years, for strength-in-depth & a quality bench and for a bit of pressure to be released off DF's & the squad's shoulders.

A very satisfying result to start the new season. Perhaps losing to Luton might promote us!! 😃

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Kenny gets in the team consistently for one good reason - he is a very good player. End of.

I’m not quite in the Kenny hater camp just yet but the defensive shielding job I believe could be done equally well at least by Tettey and probably Sorensen. His USP is supposed to be that he also offers attacking threat when we spring forward. He had a couple of shots from distance go well wide or blocked, and the time he got up with the attack for Teemu’s break the outcome was very poor. He will get another opportunity in the position next week no doubt but need to see a lot more. 

18 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I’m not quite in the Kenny hater camp just yet but the defensive shielding job I believe could be done equally well at least by Tettey and probably Sorensen. His USP is supposed to be that he also offers attacking threat when we spring forward. He had a couple of shots from distance go well wide or blocked, and the time he got up with the attack for Teemu’s break the outcome was very poor. He will get another opportunity in the position next week no doubt but need to see a lot more. 

The defensive part could absolutely be done by Tettey. Unfortunately, he won't cover anywhere near as much ground, win enough aerial balls, support the attack and when you add in that he can't pass or control the ball to the required standard; I can completely understand Kenny over Tettey. It's also slightly premature to say that Sorensen can do it, when we have never seen him play.

• Like 1

Sometimes it is very hard for the holding players to stand out in a game.

As far as I could see, there were only two occasions when they both went missing. So they did their job without little or no fuss. And both need to get used to each other. Kenny is used to Alex whereas Skipp looks quicker as less of a blocker.

• Like 1

Kenny has top-level experience now, is quite athletic, works hard and is a real character in the squad. This isn't a video game, not every player needs to be an absolute match winner and McLean is consistently at a good standard without standing out. If any questions need to be asked, it would be of Dowell who struggled with the responsibility of linking our attack or Cantwell who really didn't exert the influence on the game you'd expect of a player meant to be worth £25mil+.

As it happens, asking questions like that after game 1 for a side coming out of a reduced pre-season and with a high player turnover seems silly to me anyway. I'll be reserving any meaningful judgement until after the Rotherham game- I highly doubt we'll be as timid and shot-shy by then.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WD40 said:

the time he got up with the attack for Teemu’s break the outcome was very poor. He will get another opportunity in the position next week no doubt but need to see a lot more. 

It is his ability to get forward to support these breaks as well as get his nadgers in front of shots that sees him keep his pace.

Could do with less of his russ martin pointing at others when he **** up tho,  it wasnt pukkis ball that was the issue with that failed break. 

22 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

One of the few moments I saw yesterday, Kenny blocked a shot with his gentleman area. Respect to that alone.

This was a strange one-From the replay, I think it hit him on the outside of his thigh-I think he was milking it (pun intended 🤣)-good game management.

45 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

This was a strange one-From the replay, I think it hit him on the outside of his thigh-I think he was milking it (pun intended 🤣)-good game management.

From my experience even a brush past the wedding tackle with a high velocity leather clad missile leads to the gonads attempting to climb back to safety & a general collapse of stout party.

2 hours ago, ZLF said:

It is his ability to get forward to support these breaks as well as get his nadgers in front of shots that sees him keep his pace.

Could do with less of his russ martin pointing at others when he **** up tho,  it wasnt pukkis ball that was the issue with that failed break. 

And that’s fine but if he’s supposed supporting the breaks, then he needs to do that and not fluff it.