The Real Buh

Farkes Substitutions

Completely agree. The usual cry of "60 minutes" isn't always a good one. It is how I tend to play on Football Manager. Pace on both wings and some lesser-spotted ****housery in putting the experience of Rupp on for Cantwell. Oh, and before I forget, hopefully he always keeps one of Hernandez or Placheta on the bench for such a sub. Express pace against tiring legs is always entertaining.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Completely agree. The usual cry of "60 minutes" isn't always a good one. It is how I tend to play on Football Manager. Pace on both wings and some lesser-spotted ****housery in putting the experience of Rupp on for Cantwell. Oh, and before I forget, hopefully he always keeps one of Hernandez or Placheta on the bench for such a sub. Express pace against tiring legs is always entertaining.

Agree with your views there. With the exception of injuries/dismissals it’s not always great to make the first sub too early, unless it’s likely they will be better than the player you’re taking off or have an impact on the opposition. Unless I was forced, I wouldn’t make the final sub until the last 10mins, as I always get nervous when we’ve made all our subs because of the risk if we lose our keeper. As Placheta is very pacy, just like Hernandez I think that one should start and one should be on the bench, as they could both make an impact coming on as a sub against tiring legs

I've always maintained that those who have criticised Farke for not making subs (generally, not everyone) seem to think that any change is a good change because its making a decision. They fail to see that not making a change is also an active decision and often the braver one. If you make attacking subs you can always say 'well look? I tried' whereas not making a change leaves to inevitable sofa managers telling you youre rubbish, again with no evidence that thinks would have improved with a sub. 

Its hardly surprising that now we have a bigger squad with more genuine competitive options at this level that 1) we make more subs and 2) they generally will hopefully impact play.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Were bang on today

absolutely gutted for the haters

BBB0DCC3-39D5-4452-A169-36AF64DFB461.gif

Subs in this game were particularly unique in that players have had less preseason than customary.

It’s good that we now can bring on like for like pace now. Though Hernandez is a starter for me, dare I say it but he certainly didn’t look out of place in the PL either. He will be a big player for us this season.

Agreed about the early subs. It’s a fine line when to bring on, but making say 3 subs at half time is a very risky and silly move I think. I don’t think Farke is any different to nearly every other manager in world football so don’t really understand the obsession over the choices he makes - a sub or 2 around the 70 or 75 Mark is normal, and you need 1 on the bench to cover for injuries etc up to the 90. 

Substitutions are a complete lottery anyway in most cases, and made without the benefit of hindsight too. Sure, you can bring on a bit of pace or suchlike against a tiring defender, but then again, you’ll never know how it might have panned out had the substitutions never been made in the first place.

• Like 1

Weird though. We usually hear and read so much about Farke's late substitutions, yet on a day a substitute scored the match winner it doesn't seem too high on the agenda.

Perfect timing today and the right choices. Huddersfield were getting tired and Norwich took advantage. Next week I think we will see a far better performance against ideal opponents second game in. 

The timing of substitutions seems to be one of the aspects of game management that supporters of all clubs  complain about the most.

We are mostly optimists and expect instant success  eg. yesterday. Managers often see it differently as has been pointed out above.

I do think that there have been genuine reasons to complain about Farke's lack of activity in the past, especially when we have been chasing a game. 

Late substitutions tend to annoy me. Not just that they are used as a time wasting or disruptive tactic by a manager defending a lead, but also because they seem to anticipate that a player can come on for five minutes and be expected to slot in and get up to speed instantly.

It always seems to me that subs coming on against City  usually have more impact than those we bring on ..... but I suppose this is just a form of paranoia.

46 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The timing of substitutions seems to be one of the aspects of game management that supporters of all clubs  complain about the most.

We are mostly optimists and expect instant success  eg. yesterday. Managers often see it differently as has been pointed out above.

I do think that there have been genuine reasons to complain about Farke's lack of activity in the past, especially when we have been chasing a game. 

Late substitutions tend to annoy me. Not just that they are used as a time wasting or disruptive tactic by a manager defending a lead, but also because they seem to anticipate that a player can come on for five minutes and be expected to slot in and get up to speed instantly.

It always seems to me that subs coming on against City  usually have more impact than those we bring on ..... but I suppose this is just a form of paranoia.

Mostly optimists? Do you actually read the endless negative drivel on this board? 

We won yesterday against a team sitting back for a point, yet reading this forum you'd think we had lost. 

Someone even posted they felt like this was a 13th defeat. 

The pinkun is a horribly negative board stuffed full of people with as much common sense and footballing knowledge as a ham sandwich. 

2 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Mostly optimists? Do you actually read the endless negative drivel on this board? 

We won yesterday against a team sitting back for a point, yet reading this forum you'd think we had lost. 

The pinkun is a horribly negative board stuffed full of people with as much common sense and footballing knowledge as a ham sandwich. 

None of them have got the guts to come on here because I’ve dabbed all over them

C8B38460-B348-47A7-BD94-1F3CAC58156A.gif

1 hour ago, Jerrykerry said:

...which is why it's all the more important having little rays of sunshine like you on here! 😄

As to the substitutions, they were a little earlier than usual (around 75 rather than 80 minutes), which bodes well for the rest of the season. Absolutely the right changes to drive home our territorial and possession advantage.

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

I was actually referring to the football fan in general and used yesterday as an example only, but clearly did not make that clear enough. "Mostly" being the operative word.

It is my view that there  are more positive posters than there are negative and, true, the negative core exists and occasionally annoys.

The PinkUn is not perfect and neither are many of it's contributors, but it has given me hours of pleasure over the years and is costless. It is far from being the be all and end all of my life, but it's existence is a bonus. We all have our occasional spats, but for the most part I prefer to forget the opponent by the next day.  

It compares neither badly nor less bad than any other football forums. Neither do I think insults in any way shape or form help.

I just don't get your point, although you clearly expressed yourself more succinctly than I did.

What do you expect? The forum to be filled with the intellectual elite of society? 

It's a football forum.

"We won yesterday against a team sitting back for a point, yet reading this forum you'd think we had lost." 

That is both an accurate (I made a similar comment yesterday about Huddersfield's tactics.) and inaccurate (in bold) because  you have over exaggerated by quite a bit.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Duncan was parodying The original poster when he said it was like a 13th defeat, you need to turn your irony meter on😃

• Like 1