kick it off

Norwich vs Huddersfield - OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Although I don’t know about his defending yet, I thought he looked great and could turn out to be deadly taking set pieces. If we manage to go straight back up this season I think he might play a key part in it

Agree. It was so nice to see corners hitting the danger zone instead of the first man. I thought Quintilla was excellent today. Very assured debut

28 minutes ago, kirku said:

He came up big at vital moments of the previous Champs season but I struggle to see where he fits into the system now

In the midfield instead of McLean.

Let Skipp/Tettey handle the defensive duties and tidy simple balls, and let Vrancic ping 40 yard passes around and actually give our attackers something to work with.

Yes he's not the quickest, yes he's not the best defensively, but there's nobody else in our squad with the range of passing he offers, the quality of free kick and he knows how to strike a ball as well - all things we've frequently missed since he was dropped in favour of McLean.

Sadly though, it appears that because he can't cover as much ground as McLean does, then he's no longer good enough in Farke's eyes.

I remember Ian Crook being pretty damn slow as well, but it was his passing and intelligence that got him selected week after week not his physicality or defensive work...

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

Let Skipp/Tettey handle the defensive duties and tidy simple balls, and let Vrancic ping 40 yard passes around and actually give our attackers something to work with.

Yes he's not the quickest, yes he's not the best defensively, but there's nobody else in our squad with the range of passing he offers, the quality of free kick and he knows how to strike a ball as well - all things we've frequently missed since he was dropped in favour of McLean.

Sadly though, it appears that because he can't cover as much ground as McLean does, then he's no longer good enough in Farke's eyes.

I remember Ian Crook being pretty damn slow as well, but it was his passing and intelligence that got him selected week after week not his physicality or defensive work...

Vrancic isn't getting close to the first eleven this year.

17 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

As you've alluded to, he's nowhere near mobile or defensively sound enough to fit the system we've got.

The signing of Sorenson is probably a hint as to the profile they're looking for in the midfield. "Pinging 40 yard passes" isn't really a benefit given the way we're setting up.

Edited by kirku

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

As you've alluded to, he's nowhere near mobile or defensively sound enough to fit the system we've got.

The signing of Sorenson is probably a hint as to the profile they're looking for in the midfield. "Pinging 40 yard passes" isn't really a benefit given the way we're setting up.

Farke has publicly said earlier this week that he now sees Vrancic as one of his options in the Number 10 role. That seems to make perfect sense to me. For all of his qualities Mario is a bit of a liability defensively, but put him further up the pitch where his vision and subtle passing can open up stubborn defences. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Totally agree. He’s 31 and will be out of contract next summer. I believe some of new signings have been brought in ready to replace ageing players like him and Tettey.

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

So that's the dismal run ended, along with another significant statistic, that being winning without Emi in the team, I haven't checked the date we last won, but I'm sure it was long time ago.

You're a bit behind the times with the Emi stat Daz. That particular run got nuked when we won 2-0 away at Everton last season. (Emi came on as an 80th minute sub in that game). I've just checked that game on the BBC website - as an aside the Man of the Match that day was one Kenny McLean. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Farke has publicly said earlier this week that he now sees Vrancic as one of his options in the Number 10 role. That seems to make perfect sense to me. For all of his qualities Mario is a bit of a liability defensively, but put him further up the pitch where his vision and subtle passing can open up stubborn defences. 

At the moment, he's probably 4th choice in the 10?

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

At the moment, he's probably 4th choice in the 10?

Yes, probably at this moment he is, but things can change very quickly. Especially when you've got 46 games crammed into an even shorter season than usual. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Mario make a crucial contribution at some stage this season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes, probably at this moment he is, but things can change very quickly. Especially when you've got 46 games crammed into an even shorter season than usual. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Mario make a crucial contribution at some stage this season. 

We'll always love him for the goals in the run in, especially THAT free kick, but I'd be surprised if he gets more than a handful of games this year and it's hard to see him even making the bench (if we have no major AM departures)

Edited by kirku

22 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're a bit behind the times with the Emi stat Daz. That particular run got nuked when we won 2-0 away at Everton last season. (Emi came on as an 80th minute sub in that game). I've just checked that game on the BBC website - as an aside the Man of the Match that day was one Kenny McLean. 

McClean was excellent that day!

Vrancic will play his part eventually, we have 46 games to fit in 8 months. Farke has already said he's happy with the bloated squad for that exact reason. When our opponents are scampering around their under 18s for someone to come in for the knackered first choice players, we have full, proven internationals like Vrancic.

In a midfield that has been beefed up Skipp and Sorenson, he'll fit in nicely.

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

A win doesn't change my opinion about him as a player, neither did he do anything in the game to change this opinion, so I'm happy to take your advice regarding him.

Sorenson or Vrancic instead of McLean for the next game please Farke.

Whatever you personally think about McLean, our manager has made it clear that he rates him as his best midfielder. Bar none. Is that clear now? He will start every game. Move on.

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Whatever you personally think about McLean, our manager has made it clear that he rates him as his best midfielder. Bar none. Is that clear now? He will start every game. Move on.

The enigma of Kennyo. 

Not a Cantwell hater but I did think it was a red. I am now watching Newcastle and have changed my mind. If VAR decide Carrol leading with the elbow for every challenge is ok then the ref got it right 🤣

7 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Not a Cantwell hater but I did think it was a red. I am now watching Newcastle and have changed my mind. If VAR decide Carrol leading with the elbow for every challenge is ok then the ref got it right 🤣

Thought Caroll's one inside 30 seconds was worse than Cantwell and worthy of a red. Outrageous he got away with it. How he has made a career as a footballer is beyond me, he's a useless lump (Carroll not Cantwell).

Edited by kick it off

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I wish he would...

Meanwhile our Championship winning manager continues to pick him in the starting 11 whenever he can. 🤔

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Massive fixture congestion this season with games coming thick and fast, he'll get a few games here and there once the injuries and fatique hit - which they will for most sides this season. 

I suspect this is the reason we've gone with such a large squad (even after taking out the three who have been bombed out, its still large). 

11 hours ago, sgncfc said:

He will start every game. Move on.

I can't see any outfield player starting every game this season, crazy fixture congestion after short post-season and short pre-season.

Injuries and fatique will force us to use our full squad and Farke has already said that this is why he's happy with a larger than normal group. 

13 hours ago, kick it off said:

Agree. It was so nice to see corners hitting the danger zone instead of the first man. I thought Quintilla was excellent today. Very assured debut

You might even say he looked better than the player we just sold for £15m

We won an away game without Emi against a team that appeared to have no ambition other than kick us off the pitch. Yes, Cantwell probably should have gone but he was taking an absolute battering. I was pleased we stood up to it. 

Slight criticism of Idah. If he'd stayed down after he scored the Huddersfield defender who had just cut him in half would have seen red

19 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's call leading with your arm, and it was a red. 

Andy Carroll should have had five red cards last night in your theory. 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I can't see any outfield player starting every game this season, crazy fixture congestion after short post-season and short pre-season.

Injuries and fatique will force us to use our full squad and Farke has already said that this is why he's happy with a larger than normal group. 

And we already picked up 4 bookings in the first game, so players will not be available for that reason too. Big squad = big advantage come Winter. 

On 12/09/2020 at 21:01, Canaries north said:

As said if VAR thinks that's ok then God help us. It belonged in a UFC fight not on a football pitch. 

VAR - we won’t be missing that this season.     Utter ruination of our game.  How on earth was that a Liverpool penalty....   ball comes off the lads knee, nothing he could do.    Yet Shearer even agreed it’s a pen!    How?    There’s no fairness anymore, it’s not the beautiful game.

19 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Andy Carroll should have had five red cards last night in your theory. 

I've noticed that referees generally tend to give teams and players who are known to be more 'physical' more leniency when it comes to that type of thing. Andy Carrol can get away with it because it's his game. Also If you're a Burnley type team they get more leeway with the type of challenges they get to make, they can fly into challenges at reckless speed  because it's what they're known for and the ref can't be handing out bucketloads of red and yellow cards for teams like that every single game. On the flipside if a Hoolahan type player goes shoulder to shoulder with a big defender and the big defender falls over he will usually get a free kick as the ref will assume the smaller player must have fouled him to take him down.

I can't be the only one who's noticed this type of thing, particularly in the Premier League. 

11 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I've noticed that referees generally tend to give teams and players who are known to be more 'physical' more leniency when it comes to that type of thing. Andy Carrol can get away with it because it's his game. Also If you're a Burnley type team they get more leeway with the type of challenges they get to make, they can fly into challenges at reckless speed  because it's what they're known for and the ref can't be handing out bucketloads of red and yellow cards for teams like that every single game. On the flipside if a Hoolahan type player goes shoulder to shoulder with a big defender and the big defender falls over he will usually get a free kick as the ref will assume the smaller player must have fouled him to take him down.

I can't be the only one who's noticed this type of thing, particularly in the Premier League. 

I really notice it in the FA Cup- when you get a Premier League team drawn against some League 2/Non League team the refs always let the lower league teams kick lumps out of the opposition as it is seen as their game.

• Like 1

A win is a win after so many defeats 

Great start to our new season - just hope we can build on this match victory

3 Points on the boards - home match next

OTB City ... (sad I won't be there)