kick it off

Norwich vs Huddersfield - OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well thankfully Daniel Farke and his coaching team agree with me rather than you about McLean. 

I think you have entirely misunderstood my message...

I thought it a difficult first fixture.

Huddersfield were a rough, tough outfit to come up against with a tactic of fouling at the slightest opportunity.

It seemed to me (especially in the first half) that Cantwell was particularly targeted.

Their defence, which was often tightly packed, was rugged to say the least and a long kick (often out of play) was their main form of clearance.

Their attack had a few moments , but none dangerous whatsoever. Krul was his usual immaculate self. Zimbos back and boy did it help Godfrey's game.

Nice to see a professional footballer who can take a corner that does not just reach the first defender, there was also variety. Nb. Mr. Drmic. 

We were clearly the better side but  found it difficult to maintain any rhythm due to the way they approached the game.

I thought Cantwell had a decent game (silly me) without shining. He put in a lot of work and played a good passing game for the most part. 

Pukki played well and his assist  was cool. His lacking of confidence showed when he played to Idah later on when he should have shot himself. Two seasons ago he would likely have been on the scorecard already.

The new boys were fitting in quite well, especially young Skip.

All in all a very decent start.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Any comments on Quintilla?

Although I don’t know about his defending yet, I thought he looked great and could turn out to be deadly taking set pieces. If we manage to go straight back up this season I think he might play a key part in it

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

On the three occasions when Skipp was left stranded upfield and out of position, have a look at who it was who covered that space.

1) I'd expect ANYONE who is alongside Skipp to be covering if he's further forward

2) Do you actually think that if it was Tettey, Trybull, Sorenson or Vrancic (even Rupp) that they wouldn't bother to cover?

3) If that's the only think McLean can lay claim to for his 90 minutes today, then it kind of illustrates my point.

4) He provided little to no forward incentive, either with passing or movement

5) I don't need to review what I just saw as it's simply my personal opinion, not a proven fact.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's call leading with your arm, and it was a red. 

Commentators all agreed it was a yellow - ref gave a yellow. It WAS a yellow!! 

• Like 2

So that's the dismal run ended, along with another significant statistic, that being winning without Emi in the team, I haven't checked the date we last won, but I'm sure it was long time ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Commentators all agreed it was a yellow - ref gave a yellow. It WAS a yellow!! 

...They were all yellow...

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Thought Max was our standout player..........

That's a good thing, thought he was good too. Some decent performances today.

22 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Looking forward to Emi coming back in - but for whom? Cantwell in my opinion.  I also think we have upgraded our left back position. 

Easily be Dowell based on that one off performance. Not worried though as we know he’s a talented lad and he will have much better games than that. Cantwell has to start with Buendia and Hernandez for me though.

Just watched the highlights and seen the goal. When Pukki picked up the loose pass I thought 'nice burst of acceleration by Idah to get up with the play'. Then I saw Placheta burning up in the bottom of the picture like Usain Bolt on speed.

I don't think anybody has commented on it yet, but good God Placheta is quick. 😉 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just watched the highlights and seen the goal. When Pukki picked up the loose pass I thought 'nice burst of acceleration by Idah to get up with the play'. Then I saw Placheta burning up in the bottom of the picture like Usain Bolt on speed.

I don't think anybody has commented on it yet, but good God Placheta is quick. 😉 

Placheta the ultimate super sub.

Still want to see a match in which we start hernandez on one wing and Placheta on the other, now that's enough to cause any team problems

18 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

A win. 

Now carry on hating McLean. 

Idiots. 

Interesting you want to highlight McLean when several of our players were very good today. 

What exactly did McLean do to warrant your attention?

23 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

A win. 

Now carry on hating McLean.

A win doesn't change my opinion about him as a player, neither did he do anything in the game to change this opinion, so I'm happy to take your advice regarding him.

Sorenson or Vrancic instead of McLean for the next game please Farke.

5 minutes ago, Number9 said:

What exactly did McLean do to warrant your attention?

Nothing, which is pretty much what he does most games, and why he deserves attention for doing nothing.

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Nothing, which is pretty much what he does most games, and why he deserves attention for doing nothing.

He covers an unbelievable amount of ground 

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

A win doesn't change my opinion about him as a player, neither did he do anything in the game to change this opinion, so I'm happy to take your advice regarding him.

Sorenson or Vrancic instead of McLean for the next game please Farke.

Vrancic isn't incapable of doing what Kenny did today, they're very very different players. 

Just now, Number9 said:

He covers an unbelievable amount of ground 

So does Ford Motors at Dagenham

But I didn't see that he did much wrong apart from cocking up that chance in the 2nd half.

It would be nitpicking this early to start picking on him again.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

It would be nitpicking this early to start picking on him again.

As I've said on a number of occasions, it's nothing personal against the guy, simply that I just don't see what he really brings to the table, especially when we have other players who are far better at certain aspects rather than his decent at most situation.

One of our key issues last season was a decent lack of supply from the centre of the pitch, Tettey/Trybull are defensive minded and not looking to play forward balls, which meant it was down to McLean to provide that, which he very rarely did, and this is not likely to change any time soon.

I'm all for bringing him on for the last 20 or so minutes if we're ahead, simply to provide some energy and workrate when we don't need a cutting edge, but that's as much as I'd personally use him.

• Like 1

If Quintilla takes free kicks like he takes corners, Vrancic isn’t getting on the pitch very often this season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I missed that, but you’re right, he looks like he’s on fast forward.

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If Quintilla takes free kicks like he takes corners, Vrancic isn’t getting on the pitch very often this season.

Given how much Farke clearly dislikes (for whatever reason..) Vrancic i sadly wouldent be surprised if he was sold before the window closes.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given how much Farke clearly dislikes (for whatever reason..) Vrancic i sadly wouldent be surprised if he was sold before the window closes.

He came up big at vital moments of the previous Champs season but I struggle to see where he fits into the system now

51 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just seen this, missed it in real time. He must be the fastest player we've had since Eadie