kick it off

Norwich vs Huddersfield - OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD

I really don't think the Aarons incident was a penalty as imo he had lost control and ran into the player. 

Without VAR we get a win and a fantastic confidence boost.  Onwards and upwards... OTBC

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Nah... VAR does not see anything stonewall unless you are a top six prem team....

Well then Cantwell wouldn’t have been sent off then unless you’re suggesting Huddersfield are a top 6 premier side? Also we would have had a penalty and I felt their defender should have seen red as Idah scored and he slid in with his feet up.

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Don't waste your time; none so blind as those who will not see. I think Hugill is terrible, but I will be the first to hold my hands up when he (hopefully) does well. Some people however, have a preconceived idea and the thought it might be wrong cannot be accepted, under any circumstance.

I understand what McLean offers to the side in terms of his role, I'm not anti-McLean, think he's alright. 

Just thought that for a player who had just done a year in the Premier League, and done OK, he looked a bit off the pace when on the ball today and slow to see what is around him / where he can play the pass against a bang average Championship side.

Hopefully just a bit rusty or first game nerves, he wasn't the only one. Was disappointed with that break he messed up, seemed to be caught in two minds.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Don't waste your time; none so blind as those who will not see. I think Hugill is terrible, but I will be the first to hold my hands up when he (hopefully) does well. Some people however, have a preconceived idea and the thought it might be wrong cannot be accepted, under any circumstance.

I think you'll be proved wrong on Hugill..... whenever I've seen him playing for Preston or QPR he has done well. 

Looked like a pretty comfortable win where we were a couple of gears short of where we can be in attack. Either way, we won and we kept a clean sheet. Can't ask for more than that.

38 minutes ago, Indy said:

That was a red any day of year, lead and made contact, deffinately red. I’m nothing but pro Cantwell my friend!

He jumped and his arm went in the motion it does when you jump for a header. That is not a red!

• Haha 1

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

He jumped and his arm went in the motion it does when you jump for a header. That is not a red!

That's call leading with your arm, and it was a red. 

• Like 1

Almost a continuation of the Luton game. Very, very worried - until we scored. A better team than Huddersfield would have been two up already; give away chances like that every week & we're not getting promoted.

And defences are so much worse in the Champs, yet still we couldn't make any clear cut chances in the way we did last time; Onel's individual brilliance was the only way we looked like scoring.

Not impressed with Dowell. Skipp looks like a genuine upgrade on Alex though. Distinct lack of creativity without Emi. 

Early days.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Looked like a pretty comfortable win where we were a couple of gears short of where we can be in attack. Either way, we won and we kept a clean sheet. Can't ask for more than that.

Away from home too, when it comes to the Championship even a draw away from home is a good thing- Win is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I understand what McLean offers to the side in terms of his role, I'm not anti-McLean, think he's alright. 

Just thought that for a player who had just done a year in the Premier League, and done OK, he looked a bit off the pace when on the ball today and slow to see what is around him / where he can play the pass against a bang average Championship side.

Hopefully just a bit rusty or first game nerves, he wasn't the only one. Was disappointed with that break he messed up, seemed to be caught in two minds.

I wasn't referring to you. It's reasonable to comment if they don't play well. Some however, will not recognise any positive contribution of McLean, who's decent. He was OK today, not particularly good, not particularly bad.

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I think you'll be proved wrong on Hugill..... whenever I've seen him playing for Preston or QPR he has done well. 

I hope so.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Would have been a goal up from the stonewall penalty.

You sure on that? Particularly after the last season in the Championship where we couldn't score them! 😄

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Well then Cantwell wouldn’t have been sent off then unless you’re suggesting Huddersfield are a top 6 premier side? Also we would have had a penalty and I felt their defender should have seen red as Idah scored and he slid in with his feet up.

I'm referring to the positive decisions that we seldom got  ..... VAR more or less always went against us in the prem, especially when they play slow motion as in the Buendia and Godfrey sendings off, the rescinded red card and the man utd penalty.... and then the offsides ....... ARRGH !! 

I can see Huddersfield doing reasonably ok in the Championship this season, I think they’ll become quite well organised and difficult for many teams to beat. Which makes our result all the better. Always tough on the first day of the season, but I really liked what I saw, we looked very solid at the back, and you just know that we’ll improve on that performance, you could see our quality compared to theirs with the greatest of respect - there were glimpses of the potent fluid attacking play from when we ripped up the Championship before, yet with a Ben Godfrey who’s getting better and better (Max looks amazing too). It was pleasing to actually finally feel like the team that you know if you make a mistake against them, then they will punish you. Now if we can chase the weirdo anti Cantwell mob out with pitchforks (they are NOT helpful for our club whatsoever and are not supporters in my mind), and get him to stick around then maybe just maybe Kenny will be right on the Mad Dog again come May 👍🙏

Promising signs.

• Like 4

Had VAR been used then Todd could have been in trouble. Likewise we could have had two penalties. 

I thought the ref was ok though and generally let the game flow and the physical stuff, which I like to see.

Glad we seem to have ditched the playing out from the back nonsense with both Godfrey and Zimbo happy to bring the ball forward into the opposition half rather than the sideways sideways back to Krul. We were quite direct at times, also good to see.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Any comments on Quintilla?

Looked.. Ok.  solid 6.5. Nothing to really complain about nor anything amazing to say. pretty decent at whipping in corners quickly though

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

12 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Well thankfully Daniel Farke and his coaching team agree with me rather than you about McLean. Hugill I haven't seen play yet, but could he be a worse option than Drmic?

Just now, Herman said:

Any comments on Quintilla?

Looked very good to me. His corner kicks were a massive upgrade on anything we had last season. Different kind of player to Jamal, but he plays the game with a smile on his face. Looks a good signing 👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Our first win with no fans. Hopefully the players will now get used to it. I thought we totally dominated the game without creating an awful lot, but that's because Huddersfield were set up to press and deny the space. Cantwell and Skipp both excellent and Pukki looked sharp when he got near the ball. Just having Gibson on the bench made Godfrey and Zimmermann better players.

Our first win without Buendia too! 

Looking forward to Emi coming back in - but for whom? Cantwell in my opinion.  I also think we have upgraded our left back position. 

1 minute ago, markdmhoward said:

Looked great I thought. Fantastic delivery  from corners too 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Looked.. Ok. Just ok. solid 6.5. Nothing to really complain about nor anything amazing to say.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Looked very good to me. His corner kicks were a massive upgrade on anything we had last season. Different kind of player to Jamal, but he plays the game with a smile on his face. Looks a good signing 👍

1 minute ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Had a good game, takes a great set piece, and his play in the final third is a class above Lewis currently. 

👍👍👍👍

Thanks lads. Sounds promising for a first start in a new league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Well thankfully Daniel Farke and his coaching team agree with me rather than you about McLean. Hugill I haven't seen play yet, but could he be a worse option than Drmic?

Totally different players.  Hugill is more in the Grant Holt mould imo.

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Looking forward to Emi coming back in - but for whom? Cantwell in my opinion.  I also think we have upgraded our left back position. 

Dowell

21 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Leeds have just found out how VAR works for a top 6 team even if you are Leeds.