kick it off

Norwich vs Huddersfield - OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD

The season opener is upon us and some early good news - Karlan Grant is out of the Huddersfield squad as he is in talks with WBA.

Huddersfield appear to be there for the taking - the perfect season opener to get us back firing. Of course, we could end up backfiring instead.

We NEED to see a performance today - so critical we stop the rot.

We have no excuses this season but especially today. Farke and Webber have had money, they've bought in a lot of new faces and so far, we've only lost Jamal. 

Really looking forward to this one.

COYY

Edited by kick it off

I have gone for a 3 nil to city I like you can’t see any problems, that’s the fun of supporting Norwich

14 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The season opener is upon us and some early good news - Karlan Grant is out of the Huddersfield squad as he is in talks with WBA.

Huddersfield appear to be there for the taking - the perfect season opener to get us back firing. Of course, we could end up backfiring instead.

We NEED to see a performance today - so critical we stop the rot.

We have no excuses this season but especially today. Farke and Webber have had money, they've bought in a lot of new faces and so far, we've only lost Jamal. 

Really looking forward to this one.

COYY

Please please please edit this post and take out "Huddersfield appear to be there for the taking". Otherwise it will be your fault..... 

Firstly, Emi isn't playing and that's never a good thing. Secondly, if we don't start well the game well it's the sort of match that's very difficult to turn round. If we score first we'll win

I have strong beliefs that we will turn it over today. I know we have just suffered from relegation and 12 straight defeats, but I can’t see any relegation hangover on any of our new signings as they didn’t go through it (ok, Dowell did with Wigan but he’s moved now), and I also think they will see it as 1 straight defeat. Zimbo has also been encouraging the squad to focus on promotion, not relegation

Lets not forget we still have a side that tore up the Championship last time we were in it, and now has PL experience. Last season Huddersfield had just got relegated from the PL and got nowhere near bouncing straight back, finishing bottom half. They also have a new manager and the players have only had a few pre season games to adapt to his new style of play

For the score I’d go for a 2-0 victory, Pukki and Dowell. We’ll see

Cant believe I'm excited to watch us play in an empty stadium, sitting on my sofa, away to Huddersfield in the second tier.

But i bloody well am.

• Like 7

I am looking forward to the game.

Hoping we play with a little more pace and assertiveness as now we can impose our style much more with a pretty fully fit group. 

After the restart it was pretty ugly watching, so I believe urgency, snapping at heels, good movement and build belief is the order of the day.

Yes the chemistry and cohesion may not be there quite yet after preseason and with new guys joining but quality is there in our team.

Quality is what can get us going in these early games as we find the best formation and group.

Hate to also say it but Aaron's, Cantwell, Godfrey and Buendia need to have a good start if they have desires to move this summer. So that could also play into our hands as we get them playing at their best early doors.

Edited by smooth

39 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Huddersfield appear to be there for the taking - the perfect season opener to get us back firing.

So what you’re saying is...along come Norwich!

Come on lads. Let’s batter them and get the confidence flowing.

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

So what you’re saying is...along come Norwich!

That's what I was thinking but trying to avoid saying aloud!

I think we will take a few weeks to get it together. I think we might lose this one or maybe a hard fought 2-2 draw.

I actually think we're likely to be too attacking without the required discipline and defensive cohesion; fuelled by the weight of expectation and the underestimation of our opponents at this level. Once the players realise that winning in the Championship requires hard work and discipline and they get back to the basics of correct positioning, tracking runs, working as a team etc. then we will start to win matches consistently. I fully expect a rude awakening.

• Like 2

I am quite excited to see what our lineup will be. So many new players and apart from Emi, what DF thinks is his best team

Fresh pitch, hopefully not raining and only an empty stadium to spoil opening day. But I do think no fans is lessening the standard or maybe normally its just fans getting excited over the smallest things.

We rarely start quickly, our title winning seasons have always been after a spell of finding our feet - hopefully supporters don’t start whining if we don’t get it right from the off.

• Like 1

5-2 City or a similar scoreline in our favour. 

Huddersfield are a mess right now, they have a new coach trying to implement a radical change of philosophy with a short pre season and if we have anything about us we'll have a massive point to prove here. 

Preston next week will be very tough but Huddersfield in this particular moment should be as easy as they come this year, a draw or loss would be very worrying. 

Everyone going on about huddersfield being a mess and missing players and being awful and all I can think is

"This has an upset written all over it"

I still don't feel confident on us winning, hope I'm wrong of course

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Everyone going on about huddersfield being a mess and missing players and being awful and all I can think is

"This has an upset written all over it"

I still don't feel confident on us winning, hope I'm wrong of course

Losing playing away at a side in the same division would hardly constitute an ‘upset’ at this stage in the season 

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Losing playing away at a side in the same division would hardly constitute an ‘upset’ at this stage in the season 

I for one will be upset and it will spoil my weekend

We will have to overcome an energetic high press to win today and we've not been very good at doing that recently. Hopefully Huddersfield will make enough mistakes that we can capitalise but there is almost no chance of us keeping a clean sheet against this tactic. I think a high scoring draw is likely.

I'd take a draw with a slight grumble, but readily accept it stops the rot. More than anything, I'd be happier to see one of our speedsters (by that I mean Hernandez and Placheta) come off the bench in good time, so about the 60-65 minute mark. Not so sure I'd start either of them. Onel, for me, is always far more of a threat against tired legs and that kind of explosiveness doesn't hold brilliantly over 90 minutes.

More than anything, don't chuck too many new lads in at once. I'd rather have Skipp alongside McLean, and definitely keep Pukki and Stiepermann together for the start - let Dowell take Buendia's role on the right. Left-back's the other obvious spot for a new signing too.

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

More than anything, don't chuck too many new lads in at once. I'd rather have Skipp alongside McLean, and definitely keep Pukki and Stiepermann together for the start - let Dowell take Buendia's role on the right. Left-back's the other obvious spot for a new signing too.

I see the point but Stiepermann‘a form hasn’t justified a start for me. Dowell through the middle please. 

56 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'd like to see him start. We need to ensure we have some pace. 

No chance he will start. 

Thinking a draw today, though obviously want a big win. Keeping my expectations tempered this season as it’s a super tough league that is way too easy to underestimate. 

• Like 1

i would like to see a Team looking to prove a point today 

Ruthless high pressing , chances taken and really get the  bad run out of the way 

i feel if we lose today we have problems because we are basically fielding a team that played in the EPL last season 

We will find out a lot today in selection and who is up for the fight